Rude Princess Phone Consultants

KarateMan

I just had an unpleasant experience on the phone today with a Princess Cruises employee who handles phone bookings.

I received an email about an "upgrade" to my cruise this Sunday. I had originally booked a inside cabin on Lido deck (my desired location), instead the upgrade puts my down mid-ship on Emerald deck in an obstructed view outside.

I wasn't too happy with this as I really enjoy the top deck close to immediate access to upper decks for my photography leaving and entering port, the pools the pizza place where I love my lunch as well as the spa and gym area. All of my past cruises I have had a cabin on the top two decks at the very front of the ship. I always book that area and decline upgrades.

I asked for my original cabin back and said I consider it more of a "downgrade" the consultant then started telling me in a rude tone that I am wrong and that it is an "upgrade" and said I should be grateful for it. I then gave my reasons for wanting my original location and asked for my original cabin back. I was honest and said I prefer Lido deck where I had booked and considered it a "downgrade" to move from a higher deck to a lower deck.

I was then put on hold while she did paperwork to request the cabin back. I was then told that I may or may not get my original cabin back. I said I was not happy and wanted the cabin back as I had paid for over a year in advance. I explained my situation and gave examples on all other cruises that I always book cabins in the same location.

She was then rude and insulting to me again telling me I should be grateful for the cabin change and appreciate it rather than knock it back. I told her "no and that I will not be prepared to accept the new cabin under any circumstances". She then raised her voice and told me I could cancel and lose all my money. She then kept on being rude about telling me that most people jump at the chance of an upgrade like that and that her own daughter would have loved it. I told her I didn't care for her tone and lack of empathy for my case. The moment I asked to speak to her supervisor the phone went dead.

I rang back and spoke to a better consultant and we determined the name of the original consultant. I spoke to their team leader who is going to help. Both the new consultant and the team leader were very professional and helpful and agreed that I should not have to put up with the change. Both of them noticed I have future bookings and past bookings and could see clearly in my profile that I always book the same general location.

However I am determined not to let this matter drop. That consultant needs to be dealt with and I really want to take it much higher up.

I am going to take this matter further and demand action against the consultant. They should not have a job working for Princess if they are going to be rude to passengers.

I have seen countless threads in my years about passengers unhappy about "upgrades" where passengers are shafted into an inferior cabin that no one lese wants to buy. I am 100% sure I had declined upgrade offers on my booking and am at a loss to explain how on earth it could happen.

If anyone knows who at Princess to contact directly about this then let me know please.

EDIT: on carefully re-reading your post, I'm gonna unpost what I just said, aside from noting that the heat of your fury leading me to wonder just what you sounded like during the initial conversation.

Edited by shepp

Can't speak to who to contact (although I hope you got a name), but as far as upgrades, it is really really important to understand that marking no upgrade is a REQUEST not a guarantee.

It just means you are put (along with other NUs) to the bottom of the shuffle list for the yield software. If everyone or the vast majority of a cat marks NU, then its the same as no one marking NU.

Princess will try to honor NU whenever possible, but the bottom line comes first.

I just had an unpleasant experience on the phone today with a Princess Cruises employee who handles phone bookings.

I received an email about an "upgrade" to my cruise this Sunday. I had originally booked a inside cabin on Lido deck (my desired location), instead the upgrade puts my down mid-ship on Emerald deck in an obstructed view outside.

I wasn't too happy with this as I really enjoy the top deck close to immediate access to upper decks for my photography leaving and entering port, the pools the pizza place where I love my lunch as well as the spa and gym area. All of my past cruises I have had a cabin on the top two decks at the very front of the ship. I always book that area and decline upgrades.

I asked for my original cabin back and said I consider it more of a "downgrade" the consultant then started telling me in a rude tone that I am wrong and that it is an "upgrade" and said I should be grateful for it. I then gave my reasons for wanting my original location and asked for my original cabin back. I was honest and said I prefer Lido deck where I had booked and considered it a "downgrade" to move from a higher deck to a lower deck.

I was then put on hold while she did paperwork to request the cabin back. I was then told that I may or may not get my original cabin back. I said I was not happy and wanted the cabin back as I had paid for over a year in advance. I explained my situation and gave examples on all other cruises that I always book cabins in the same location.

She was then rude and insulting to me again telling me I should be grateful for the cabin change and appreciate it rather than knock it back. I told her "no and that I will not be prepared to accept the new cabin under any circumstances". She then raised her voice and told me I could cancel and lose all my money. She then kept on being rude about telling me that most people jump at the chance of an upgrade like that and that her own daughter would have loved it. I told her I didn't care for her tone and lack of empathy for my case. The moment I asked to speak to her supervisor the phone went dead.

I rang back and spoke to a better consultant and we determined the name of the original consultant. I spoke to their team leader who is going to help. Both the new consultant and the team leader were very professional and helpful and agreed that I should not have to put up with the change. Both of them noticed I have future bookings and past bookings and could see clearly in my profile that I always book the same general location.

However I am determined not to let this matter drop. That consultant needs to be dealt with and I really want to take it much higher up.

I am going to take this matter further and demand action against the consultant. They should not have a job working for Princess if they are going to be rude to passengers.

I have seen countless threads in my years about passengers unhappy about "upgrades" where passengers are shafted into an inferior cabin that no one lese wants to buy. I am 100% sure I had declined upgrade offers on my booking and am at a loss to explain how on earth it could happen.

If anyone knows who at Princess to contact directly about this then let me know please.

Your incredibly aggrieved, aggressive tone leads me to wonder just how you sounded on the phone, but in any case there's one important fact you've ignored. Unless you specified that you did not want an upgrade, you haven't a contractual leg to stand on. If you had specified "no upgrade" and Princess had ignored that, then you would indeed have every right to demand your old cabin back. Otherwise, the consultant was correct. You have no right to expect to be put back in your previous location (which might already be filled by a passenger with a guarantee or an upgrade). What you usually book has no bearing here.

Since you've already posted 450 times here, you might well have run across threads on this very topic.

And yes, lots of us would consider what you got a genuine upgrade.

I am 100% certain I ticked "no upgrade". It is just very upsetting to have a change imposed on you like this so close to the sailing date. All I asked for on the phone was my original cabin back, not a lecture on what they think an upgrade is.

Besides the phone call was recorded by Princess, the team leader has since listened to it and apologised a lot for what was said on the phone to me. The team leader and the second consultant I spoke to were extremely friendly and professional.

Can't speak to who to contact (although I hope you got a name), but as far as upgrades, it is really really important to understand that marking no upgrade is a REQUEST not a guarantee.

It just means you are put (along with other NUs) to the bottom of the shuffle list for the yield software. If everyone or the vast majority of a cat marks NU, then its the same as no one marking NU.

Princess will try to honor NU whenever possible, but the bottom line comes first.

I was wondering why I would be upgraded if I specified no, however I am not familiar with their system. The team leader got the name as well as a recording of the phone call that was made.

Again it is extremely upsetting to lose out my original location. Going from Lido deck down to Emerald deck is a downgrade in my opinion.

I am 100% certain I ticked "no upgrade". It is just very upsetting to have a change imposed on you like this so close to the sailing date. All I asked for on the phone was my original cabin back, not a lecture on what they think an upgrade is.

Besides the phone call was recorded by Princess, the team leader has since listened to it and apologised a lot for what was said on the phone to me. The team leader and the second consultant I spoke to were extremely friendly and professional.

As I implied in my edit, after rereading your post, I think you were correct in being upset that your wish not to be upgraded was not honored.

I will say that I've talked with Princes phone consultants dozens of times, and though occasionally I would think one was "distant,' I never experienced outright rudeness.

As I implied in my edit, after rereading your post, I think you were correct in being upset that your wish not to be upgraded was not honored.

I will say that I've talked with Princes phone consultants dozens of times, and though occasionally I would think one was "distant,' I never experienced outright rudeness.

Thanks for your comments, I was taken by surprise when I hard her comments and think it was very deliberate of her.

When I think about it in a logical sense, and after witnessing many posts on various forums and websites like facebook about unwanted upgrades, it appears to be a widespread problem. The consultants probably tire of it and probably think the customer is pushing for a "better upgrade"

The consultants obviously get tired of undoing upgrades so one day they just snap and have a go at people. If they work in the call centre that deals with "existing bookings" then they are the ones that deal with it on a daily basis.

I think these automatic upgrades are wrong. If a cruise line cant sell a particular category of cabin (because the cabin grade may be unpopular) the cruise line should reduce the price of these unpopular categories rather than shaft existing bookings into them and sell the ones they vacated.

To me and in my opinion an inside cabin on Lido deck is a much better choice than an obstructed view cabin on Emerald deck.

You should address your concerns to customerrelations@princesscruises.com.

I am following it up for sure. I am not going to let this one drop. All I asked for was my original cabin back. I did not want an earful about an upgrade.

When asked why I wanted my original cabin back I explained my reasons. I said I was sorry but to me it is more of a downgrade and I am unhappy with it and would never be satisfied with a cabin in that area of the ship.

The consultants obviously get tired of undoing upgrades so one day they just snap and have a go at people. If they work in the call centre that deals with "existing bookings" then they are the ones that deal with it on a daily basis.

The consultants don't have the power to "undo" your upgrade. They have to fill out the form for the department that handles those, and tell you that you will hear back. That's the procedure for an unwanted upgrade. Obviously the rep shouldn't have been rude to you, but that is the policy, and they can get in a lot of trouble if they try to reassign a cabin after an upgrade.

Also, you said in one post that you're sure you "ticked" no upgrade. Unless you're a travel agent, there's no way for you to do that. Only Princess reps and travel agents using the online booking system for TAs have the ability to mark a booking no upgrade (which, as Loonbeam notes, is still just a request).

I understand your frustration with the poor service you received, but it seems like your dislike of Princess's corporate upgrade policy is a factor, which is certainly something the phone rep had no control over.

Also, you said in one post that you're sure you "ticked" no upgrade. Unless you're a travel agent, there's no way for you to do that. Only Princess reps and travel agents using the online booking system for TAs have the ability to mark a booking no upgrade (which, as Loonbeam notes, is still just a request).

OP is in Australia. Is it possible that the online booking software there allows the passenger to select the "no upgrade" option?

So glad I don't book directly. A great reason to have a good TA who not only saves me a ton of money over booking directly but also does battle for me.

I sometimes wish I do have someone who can talk on my behalf. I thought it would be an easy job. I had decided exactly what I had to say and had my script of sorts written up. I just started the conversation with "I am very sorry but I have received an upgrade that I am not happy with and would like my original cabin back. I find the change more of a downgrade and would be much happier in my originally booked cabin"

I was not expecting the reply and mouthful I got on "upgrades" I think she clearly took issue with me describing the upgrade as a downgrade.

The consultants don't have the power to "undo" your upgrade. They have to fill out the form for the department that handles those, and tell you that you will hear back. That's the procedure for an unwanted upgrade. Obviously the rep shouldn't have been rude to you, but that is the policy, and they can get in a lot of trouble if they try to reassign a cabin after an upgrade.

I understand your frustration with the poor service you received, but it seems like your dislike of Princess's corporate upgrade policy is a factor, which is certainly something the phone rep had no control over.

I always discuss on the phone with Princess my bookings once I have booked online and spell out no upgrade. They always honour it in the past.

It was quite a simple request and I felt I had to say the right things to get out of it what I wanted. I was just so upset and frustrated when I got the mouthful from her.

On the other hand I sometimes get the consultants frustration, a customer might ring up saying the upgrade is not good enough and demand an even better cabin. At no stage did I say give me a balcony or suite or better cabin. All I said was that I want my originally booked cabin back.

OP is in Australia. Is it possible that the online booking software there allows the passenger to select the "no upgrade" option?

I just noticed, 2 posters mebtioned that, but OP seemed to ignore that question

I just noticed, 2 posters mebtioned that, but OP seemed to ignore that question

Not quite true. The OP stated the following in post #11

I always discuss on the phone with Princess my bookings once I have booked online and spell out no upgrade. They always honour it in the past.

This just strikes me as another example of why people should use a good travel agent who is cruise savvy to book. Why anyone would book directly with a nameless, faceless person in a call center who only has the companies interest at heart....well is completely beyond me.

You got the attention of the team leader who very likely is dealing with this employee or has moved it up the food chain ... are you hoping to get this person fired? At least 2 sides to every story ... I wonder if your tone may have provoked this person. You got apology ... move on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Forums mobile app

Edited by pms4104

You got the attention of the team leader who very likely is dealing with this employee or has moved it up the food chain ... are you hoping to get this person fired? At least 2 sides to every story ... I wonder if your tone may have provoked this person. You got apology ... move on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Forums mobile app

That's not the point and the issue is not over. I still don't know what cabin I will be on now. I am going to be worried sick about this all week now until I get to the ship. Wondering what cabin I will be in. I specifically chose a cabin on Lido deck for a wide variety of reasons. I was upset enough when I got the upgrade email. It did not help one bit to have a rude phone consultant.

And for the record YES I do believe she should be fired. The way she spoke to me on the phone I would not wish upon anybody. No Passenger of Princess deserves to be spoken to the way she spoke to me.

My reply would be, "If it's such a great upgrade then upgrade the person you assigned to my original stateroom and give it back to me".

That's exactly my thoughts too. They said on the phone "you might not get your cabin back as it may have been sold to someone else" Well if those rules exist that they cant sell someone else's cabin then why did they see fit to break their rules and do it to me.

The consultants don't have the power to "undo" your upgrade. They have to fill out the form for the department that handles those, and tell you that you will hear back. That's the procedure for an unwanted upgrade.

I disagree with this statement. I called recently about an "upgrade" and the person on the phone switched me back and I watched it change on My Princess while I was on the phone with a very friendly Princess representative.

I am not easily rattled, and I once had a Princess CSR leave me almost in tears. That was the one time in my life I called back and asked to speak to a supervisor. I asked her to please review the call and use it as a training tool. I did not ask for (nor think it deserved) the rep to be fired. That wasn't my call. I trusted that Princess would handle it correctly after that.

And this didn't involve a cabin on a cruise, it involved a cruise, in a string of cruises, that we were told we had no reservation for. After we were already on the ship. Thankfully, the rep was wrong, after insisting we had no booking and telling me I would have to be getting off the ship at the next turnaround day.

That's exactly my thoughts too. They said on the phone "you might not get your cabin back as it may have been sold to someone else" Well if those rules exist that they cant sell someone else's cabin then why did they see fit to break their rules and do it to me.

Maybe someone on this thread can verify but if they resold a cabin I would imagine that the person who received it would have booked a guarantee cabin and wouldn't have known the difference or would have been happy with an upgrade. Many who book guarantee book with the hope of an upgrade.

Wanting someone to be fired for what you perceived to be rudeness is a bit over the top! Phone agents know the calls are being taped and that usually keeps them from saying what they wish they could. Are you quite sure you weren't being abrasive? Your unwillingness to accept the apology makes me wonder.

I wonder what the call would have been like if you had started the conversation by saying you were monitoring for quality control purposes.

Thankfully I can rest easy there as there is a recording of the phone call that the team leader listened to. The phone call started with "this call is being recorded for coaching and quality control purposes''.

My tone was very friendly and I said I am really sorry but I want to decline the upgrade I was just given and want my original cabin back.

The rude woman was probably thinking I was trying out for a better cabin when in fact all I wanted was my own cabin back.

I don't wish to be rude myself, but I'm not sure what you're after here, why you posted this. Just to vent? Well, I guess most of us do a bit of that.

But you start with a thread title that includes "consultants," when you've said that two of the three people you talked to were nice and professional. Then you seem to want blood, when maybe a slap on the wrist is called for.

Your recourse lies with Princess, not trying to make them look bad in a post that seems to have no other purpose.

Jim