Why Does Celebrity & RCCL Avoid the West Coast

mcrcruiser

Many people like staying close to the USA. I especially like cruises that leave from Bayonne,NJ. I live in New Jersey. It is a pleasure to drive to Bayonne and cruise. No plane necessary. I have cruised to Bermuda, East Coast New England and Canada, and repo Summit from San Juan to Bayonne. I loved the Pacific coastal cruise on Princess. Wish Celebrity would do a West Coast Coastal cruise again. I would also like an East Coast cruise from NYC to Miami. There are several interesting places to stop on a coast cruise. Oceania has a nice East Coast cruise that I may book. With increasing tension in many foreign countries and increasing airfares, sticking closer to the USA is getting popular.

While there may be several reasons, the principal reason is because there is a Federal law which prohibits foreign flagged ships from coastwise trade between U.S. ports. Only a U.S. flagged ship can do that. The thought at one time was that such a law would promote U.S. shipping by providing preferential treatment of US vessels over "foreign" vessels.

The law in question is the Merchant Marine Act of 1920. This is a U.S. Federal statute which regulates maritime commerce in U.S. waters and between U.S. ports. Section 27, known as the Jones Act, deals with the concept of "cabotage" (coastal shipping). The law requires that all goods transported by water between U.S. ports be carried in U.S.-flag ships, constructed in the United States, owned by U.S. citizens, and crewed by U.S. citizens.

This is why you don't see a cruise ship sailing from San Diego to San Francisco and letting off passengers (for example). I believe they have to go to a foreign port en route. So, in this example, the ship would have to go some port in Mexico first. The reality today of course is that virtually all cruise ships are foreign flagged in order to avoid US taxes and occupational laws.

So, what kind of trick is RCI doing on the Quantum of the Seas' itinerary between Bayonne and Port Canaveral? :confused:

The usual Mexico port is Ensenada. I have a short Princess cruise in November. The stops are Santa Barbara and Ensenada. Been to Ensenada many times. Not getting off.

What's the problem in Ensenada?

I've also been looking for a West Coast cruise, even though it would mean flying to CA.

So, what kind of trick is RCI doing on the Quantum of the Seas' itinerary between Bayonne and Port Canaveral? :confused:

The law allows for a stop over, but not transport to & from, for example, a cruise could start in Los Angeles, go to Santa Barbara, San Francisco, & Vancouver, & then end in Vancouver (canada) or return to Los Angeles, either one would be legal. It would not be legal for passengers to end their cruise early in Santa Barbara or San Francisco.

It's my understanding that the Quantum visits Port Canaveral, but does not end there if they started in Bayonne.

We have done Panama starting in SF but would no longer consider this with the issues in Mexico and the number of sea says you need to do to miss Mexico. I think the Mexico issue is what is putting ths cruise companies off.

If it isn't safe to stop in Mexico, you either do 4 sea days to Hawaii or 4 to Costa Rico. Not much fun with the west coast smog.

If traveling from West coast to Mia you only have a few hours. We have to travel to London Heathrow Athens to Miami. You just have to do enough cruises to make the flight worthwhile.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

I don't know.....I don't like the direction Princess seems to be going. It seems other lines are offering MORE perks while Princess is either staynig the same or cutting back, and the design choices on the last several ships they have built are interesting.....removal of the Grand suite in the last few ships of the grand class....also, carried over to Regal and Royal....I hear that balconies are smaller on the Royal class ships as well....and some interior design changes people are not liking.....it seems princess is slowly stripping away any "glamour" their ships have and moving more to utility and increasing the number of passengers for the available space. I will be watching the next several ships they roll out....

We are most likely going to be looking to Princess next year. We are tired of the hassle and expense of flying. It will mean giving up the great perks we earned on Celebrity. :(

We have done Panama starting in SF but would no longer consider this with the issues in Mexico and the number of sea says you need to do to miss Mexico. I think the Mexico issue is what is putting ths cruise companies off.

If it isn't safe to stop in Mexico, you either do 4 sea days to Hawaii or 4 to Costa Rico. Not much fun with the west coast smog.

If traveling from West coast to Mia you only have a few hours. We have to travel to London Heathrow Athens to Miami. You just have to do enough cruises to make the flight worthwhile.

First the prevailing winds are from West to East so no smog. Ensenada is no issue with safety. The problem is more $$ in crusing in alaska in M<ay-Sept so West coast crusies only in April and late September.

Personally, I think the reason is that californians are big cruisers.....but, they don't cruise to locations that are in our back yard unless the price is VERY cheap. I was not that thrilled about the coastal cruise I have booked in April as I have been to Catalina and San Francisco many times but, the wife wanted to go so........

Elena, you are correct. My wife and I did a 7 day pacific coastal cruise a couple years ago on the Sapphire Princess and it was wonderful. Unfortunately even the Princess options aren't as appealing (at least to us) because our cruise stayed overnight in SF and stopped at Catalina Island (we had no sea days- we left out of LA then went to SF (for 2 days), Santa Barbara, Catalina Island, San Diego and Ensenada), where-as the current coastals have 2 sea days.

It was a great way for someone from the East Coast to check out California.

Edited by LabGuy64

We're doing an NCL 11 day Mexico from San Diego next year. (they are doing some this year also)

I never had any interest in trying NCL, but you have to support the home port :)

It leaves on a Friday and we'll work that morning, we can take an 11 day cruise, and if we want to go to work on the morning of the return, it will only cost us 6 precious vacation days.

I'd rather go to work than spend a day in an airport and flying not to mention the $$$ saved ;)

I just did a quick search. Carnival has 20 cruises leaving out of LA in March. They seem to be able to cruise the west cruise. I always thought that RCCL was not making any money on the west coast and that is why they left.

There are people who do not wish to sail on Carnival.

Carnival also cut way back on the west coast.

A few years ago they had a year round ship in San Diego and another seasonal October - April. Both are long gone. :(

The also had a year round 7 day from L.A. -- also gone - now seasonal.

The itinerary isn't effected -- Quantum stops at Nassau before returning to Bayonne to disembark passengers for good. In a closed US to US port, ships that fly foreign flags have to stop at a foreign port.

The NCL Pride of America is the only ship that doesn't do this -- they sail around Hawaii without stopping at a foreign port but they fly a US flag and are registered in US. That also effects crew members.. the crew are paid and work hours limited according to US laws.

Edited by nednrom

It seems that RC and X have simply made a business decision to focus their efforts where there is a greater market and a wider range of destinations. The Pacific coast of Mexico and Alaska don not offer anywhere near the short itinerary destinations available from east coast ports: Canada, Bermuda, the Bahamas, the east coast of Mexico, the Panama Canal and the close-to-countless Caribbean islands.

I would love to cruise the west coast and especially SF

We are doing an 8 night Cruise on the Jewel Of The Seas September 2015. It's called the " US Canada Pacific Coastal Cruise". Leaves out out of Vancouver, then down to Victoria, Astoria, At Sea, San Francisco (arrives 7:AM) over night in San Francisco (leaves 5:PM), Monterey, Santa Barbara and ending in Los Angeles (San Pedro). We like this Cruise for many reasons but the bonus for us is the two days in San Francisco. Not sure if you're interested in Cruising with RCCL. We like RCCL.

Edited by davekathy

We're doing an NCL 11 day Mexico from San Diego next year. (they are doing some this year also)

I never had any interest in trying NCL, but you have to support the home port :)

It leaves on a Friday and we'll work that morning, we can take an 11 day cruise, and if we want to go to work on the morning of the return, it will only cost us 6 precious vacation days.

I'd rather go to work than spend a day in an airport and flying not to mention the $$$ saved ;)

Let us know how you like the cruise. We don't have an interest in NCL, but since we have been on Celebrity cruises together, we know you will be a good judge. :)

We are doing a very similar cruise on Princess on the Crown in April... 7 days, and no Monterey.....and they swapped Catalina for Santa Barbara. Not a good trade in my opinion....but the rest is the same.

We are doing an 8 night Cruise on the Jewel Of The Seas September 2015. It's called the " US Canada Pacific Coastal Cruise". Leaves out out of Vancouver, then down to Victoria, Astoria, At Sea, San Francisco (arrives 7:AM) over night in San Francisco (leaves 5:PM), Monterey, Santa Barbara and ending in Los Angeles (San Pedro). We like this Cruise for many reasons but the bonus for us is the two days in San Francisco. Not sure if you're interested in Cruising with RCCL. We like RCCL.

We did a Mexican Riviera cruise years ago. While any cruise is nice there is just no comparison to the Caribbean ports in terms of the quality of beaches and cleanliness of the water. We'd never travel to the West Coast again just for a Mexico cruise even if offered. I can see the appeal for those that live in California but I don't think there is as much appeal for anyone who has to fly in any event.

3dog, Solstice has already sailed under the Lions Gate Bridge, problem solved.

I believe that the stacks on the Solstice were modified for this but that the other S class ships were not. So the Solstice is the only S class ship to do this.

We have done Panama starting in SF but would no longer consider this with the issues in Mexico and the number of sea says you need to do to miss Mexico....

The other issue with the Panama cruises is that the S class ships cannot do these. The current canal is too narrow. I believe that while the new canal opening in a year or two would be wide enough that there might also be a problem because of a bridge that the S class ships cannot pass under - I seem to recall this being mentioned in a thread a few months ago. This also limits Celebrity's ability to reposition an S class ship to the West Coast since the only alternative is to circumnavigate South America or sail around the world.

Edited by Lsimon

What's the problem in Ensenada?

I've also been looking for a West Coast cruise, even though it would mean flying to CA.

It's not that bad actually, just not that much to see and do. It's a port town with limited tourist activities. When I was younger, this was the go to place for kids to go and drink. Hussongs is a famous bar there.

http://www.cantinahussongs.com/home.html

The one excursion I would HIGHLY recommend is the Wine Country tour. You will be amazed at the quality of wine they have in the foothills 20 miles or so NE of Ensenada. Just do the trip and you will see what I mean.

Edited by curtdesilets
added Hussongs website

Carnival also cut way back on the west coast.

A few years ago they had a year round ship in San Diego and another seasonal October - April. Both are long gone. :(

The also had a year round 7 day from L.A. -- also gone - now seasonal.

Carnival just moved more operations up to Long beach. We now have 3 Carnival ships here doing 3, 4 and 7 day Mexico trips, and Hawaii I believe.

The 3 and 4 day trips are on pretty old ships however.

Let us know how you like the cruise. We don't have an interest in NCL, but since we have been on Celebrity cruises together, we know you will be a good judge. :)

Why don't you join us and we'll take the plunge together :) - September 30th 2016

We got the drink package :D