Shareholder On Board Credit DENIED!

John&John

I had something similar happen on my last cruise. It was quickly straightened out. The confusion (as explained to me) was in this wording:

Employees, travel agentscruising at travel agent rates, tour conductors or anyone cruising on a reduced-rate or complimentary basis are excluded from this offer.

Some employees assume (incorrectly) that this applies to ALL reduced, or sale, rates. It actually applies to the ones listed or a type of rate that is applied for something similar, such as corporate,etc. These rates can be just a nominal fee as low as $10.

Call and speak with a supervisor. This benefit is available to ALL shareholders and unless you are traveling under a fee such as the ones stated it does not matter what you paid.

can someone point me in the right direction about how this works? I have been interested in starting some stocks/ shares and am interested in Carnival because I hear there is OBC. Just not sure where to start.

How much money do you have to invest to have any kind of benefits?

can someone point me in the right direction about how this works? I have been interested in starting some stocks/ shares and am interested in Carnival because I hear there is OBC. Just not sure where to start.

How much money do you have to invest to have any kind of benefits?

Open a brokerage account (Etrade, Schwab, Ameritrade, etc)...fund it with the amount you want to invest...buy stock.

CCL (Carnival Corp) is currently selling for $58.58...you need minimum 100 shares for the Shareholder Benefit, so $5,858.00 plus the brokerage charge ($4.95 or so) will get you in the game.

I had something similar happen on my last cruise. It was quickly straightened out. The confusion (as explained to me) was in this wording:

Employees, travel agentscruising at travel agent rates, tour conductors or anyone cruising on a reduced-rate or complimentary basis are excluded from this offer.

Some employees assume (incorrectly) that this applies to ALL reduced, or sale, rates. It actually applies to the ones listed or a type of rate that is applied for something similar, such as corporate,etc. These rates can be just a nominal fee as low as $10.

Call and speak with a supervisor. This benefit is available to ALL shareholders and unless you are traveling under a fee such as the ones stated it does not matter what you paid.

The only cruises I have been denied shareholder OBC is on the free ones I have gotten,

It's been a long time since they were $35 a share...thankfully!

To this day I kick myself for not buying 100 shares when they bottomed out at ~$15 back in 2009. I got greedy, and I was holding out for $10.

To this day I kick myself for not buying 100 shares when they bottomed out at ~$15 back in 2009. I got greedy, and I was holding out for $10.

I hear you! I got them in the neighborhood of $28 and I wish I had gotten them at $15 when I was first thinking about it. Still, it has done well for me, share increases and OBC for several years.

When was that? I think this is a recent development. I received credit for my cruise earlier this month booked as a pack n' go or a super saver.

I honestly haven't sailed Carnival in 2 years; and had to sell off my CCL stock as part of a divorce, but the OBC/Stakeholder benefit was always an annual agreement at the shareholder meeting. Meaning to say it wasn't guaranteed for life, but rather than it had to be agreed on by the Carnival Corp. Board every year (and it included all lines; Princess, P&O, HAL, etc.). They must have gone cheap this past year. That being said, it was a great stock to own and I made very much above market rate of return when I sold it.

I hear you! I got them in the neighborhood of $28 and I wish I had gotten them at $15 when I was first thinking about it. Still, it has done well for me, share increases and OBC for several years.

28's right where I got it.....done well over the years and the OBC is always welcome. I still see a heck of alot of upside too

To me, this is really unacceptable on Carnival's part. Any employee who as part of their job applies onboard credit should know this. How long would it take to explain the whole program and what fares are accepted and denied? It should take 15 to 30 minutes at most. And a single sheet of paper left as a reminder should totally alleviate this mistake.

To me, this is really unacceptable on Carnival's part. Any employee who as part of their job applies onboard credit should know this. How long would it take to explain the whole program and what fares are accepted and denied? It should take 15 to 30 minutes at most. And a single sheet of paper left as a reminder should totally alleviate this mistake.

Where did I say it was acceptable? I have encountered employees of all types of companies that misinterpret policies. Happens everyday, everywhere.

And the credit has been extended through Feb 2019 when the board decides to extend another year. They have every year that I have been sailing. Is it guaranteed to go through every year? No, but then what is in life?

No need to have issues with this...spend the $3,500.00 on 100 shares like I did and you can also enjoy the same perks...

Regardless of which football team you sadly choose to represent ..... <insert smirk here>

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well actually no one can go back in time and get the deal you did.

100 shares today would be $5,900!

FLY EAGLES FLY!

Edited by K&RCurt
Had number wrong, forgot I was reinvesting my dividends and had more that 100 shares.

Where did I say it was acceptable? I have encountered employees of all types of companies that misinterpret policies. Happens everyday, everywhere.

And the credit has been extended through Feb 2019 when the board decides to extend another year. They have every year that I have been sailing. Is it guaranteed to go through every year? No, but then what is in life?

What I posted was a shot at Carnival, not you. We all have encountered numerous Carnival employees who are poorly trained and regularly give us incorrect information. And just an FYI, the shareholders' credit is currently available through July 2019. Every year in February, March or April it has been extended through July 31 of the next year.

From the Carnival shareholders benefits website:

The benefit is applicable on sailings through July 31, 2019 aboard the brands listed below. Certain restrictions apply. Applications to receive these benefits should be made at least three weeks prior to cruise departure date.

• 11 months later...

Hello from Germany.
My problem is that my OBC was denied by AIDA (a carnival subsidary) because the shares certificate is too old. It's an actual  certificate and the cruise will start in 30 days. But at AIDA it is handled that the share certificate may not be older than 28 days (4 weeks) before cruise.
Does exists such kind of rule at other carnival subsidaries too?

The shareholder benefit is issued by Carnival Corp...not by Aida.  Aida manages the benfit for Carnival Corp. 

Carnival Corp. makes the rules.  I have never read any rule that reflects the position that you say Aida has.

I would look for an email address you could use to appeal this ridiculous policy at http://Carnivalcorp.com.

I have no idea how equities are handled in Germany, but you might consider selling your shares and then purchasing new ones that would be held by a brokerage, giving you access to regular statements that would avoid the 'out of date' issue.

Edited by thinfool

I can see Aida's point.  They have no way of determining if this shares certificate has already been redeemed.  Once you have a photocopy of it, you could redeem the shares and then submit that photo copy over and over again.

However, if the shares were in a brokerage account, then you can see the current date of the statement or pricing, which would show the shares are still currently in your possession.

• Like 1

The statement of the shareholders benefit, is that you should have the shares at the moment of the request for the OBC. The statement of AIDA is, that you should have the shares in your stock, when you start the cruise. And that is in my opinion a wrong interpretation of the CCL-shareholder benefits.

I try to get in contact with a responsible person at AIDA. If that does not work, I try to contact CCL.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always applied for the shareholders credit at about 60 days prior to the cruise.  Sometimes I have gotten approval, sometimes not.  I have always taken a current brokerage statement on the cruise just in case of problems.  I have never needed it, the credit has always been applied on my first or second day of the cruise.  Not sure why it doesn't show up prior to the cruise (like it should), but I have never needed to take my statement to the desk and ask why???