Seriously???? internet minutes are a joke

LdyDDS

No, we didn't get all we wanted; but I think the revisions are Reasonable.

This will be particularly true when the internet is upgraded to normal shoreside speeds -as on the new RCCL ships.

I have also found that the times one is forced to use the ship's internet are somewhat limited. Obviously, on a TA you'll need to use either the ship's system or rent a satellite system. However, many cruises (think the Med) hover close to coastlines, and shoreside cellular based internet service is available and much faster than the ship's internet.

Also, most T-Mobile U.S. based plans offer unlimited international data and texting in 120 countries.

The loyalty program benefits should be structured to appeal to a wide cross-section of customers. Those who use large amounts of internet minutes are atypical, so it makes sense that Azamara would trim the allowance back to cover say 85% and use the savings to enhance other aspects of the program.

Demanding 235 minutes is on the same scale as complaining that a basic liquor package doesn't include your favorite single malt scotch.

You cannot be serious!

They are giving you 90 minutes free Internet time to pay your bills. Unless you have hundreds of bills to pay during your cruise surely this is enough time. If it isn't you have the option of using free wi Fi in bars while ashore or purchasing a top up package.

I am grateful for the return of some free Internet. Obviously you are not.

There is no need do be nasty. We all have opinions and have the right to express them on this open forum. My idea of going ashore is to see the sights not go into internet cafes. If they took away the free wine and booze I am sure plenty would be said.

There is no need do be nasty. We all have opinions and have the right to express them on this open forum. My idea of going ashore is to see the sights not go into internet cafes. If they took away the free wine and booze I am sure plenty would be said.

You seem to forget Azamara ADDED a lot of things, and want to focus only on the reduced internet time.

And, you're right..."we all have the right to express [our opinions] on this open forum"...including Spursgirl and Host Jazzbeau.

It's actually possible to buy internet time on an Azamara ship if you need it, and avoid the need to go into internet cafes. Some cruise lines offer only discounts on internet time to their loyalty program members.

My thoughts are...They give with one hand...they take away...then throw us crumbs...

To explain, they used to give me 237 minutes of internet; somehow with recent changes this got reduced to 235.....then they took this away.

After a lot of teddies being thrown out of prams (an old English saying meaning having a hissy fit..) on these boards, Azamara came back with a big magnanimous announcement saying how they have generously given us back our internet and our laundry...but again it is not so. Read the small print. They have only given me back 90 minutes instead of 235. I am now meant to be grateful and to continue to be an Azamara cheerleader.......I am very sorry but I am not. Whilst I do agree that 'something is better than nothing' and I do not wish to sound ungrateful but I somehow have the feeling that Azamara want to feel as if they are holding the winning hand.

This is just my opinion.

Edited by little britain

SASUE, I did say that I was sorry for those who lost minutes of internet usage. If the internet contacts are that important than it should not be a problem paying the small charge. It is just a few dollars when compared to the thousands that you have paid for the cruise and air fare.

It is like swallowing an elephant and gagging at a gnat. As I said in closing the other message---Happy cruising. :) :) :) :) :)

My thoughts are...They give with one hand...they take away...then throw us crumbs...

To explain, they used to give me 237 minutes of internet; somehow with recent changes this got reduced to 235.....then they took this away.

After a lot of teddies being thrown out of prams (an old English saying meaning having a hissy fit..) on these boards, Azamara came back with a big magnanimous announcement saying how they have generously given us back our internet and our laundry...but again it is not so. Read the small print. They have only given me back 90 minutes instead of 235. I am now meant to be grateful and to continue to be an Azamara cheerleader.......I am very sorry but I am not. Whilst I do agree that 'something is better than nothing' and I do not wish to sound ungrateful but I somehow have the feeling that Azamara want to feel as if they are holding the winning hand.

This is just my opinion.

They can never satisfy everyone. Any good business tries to satisfy the most people while maintaining a business model they hope will be profitable. While you lost some internet minutes, there are other benefits added. If the new benefits are not anything that you are interested in, then you will fall in the pool of people they failed to satisfy. That is the risk they took and you have the option to no longer give them your business if you feel they have failed you personally.

But rather than feel dismayed that you get "only" 90 minutes for free, why not appreciate that they gave you nearly 4 hours/per cruise for free and that they have now changed the overall program to give "only" 90 minutes but potentially larger discounts or even free nights (either of which would pay for a lot of minutes)?

Edited by bob278

Again, they will never please everyone, but we feel that they did make some great concessions. 90 minutes pp pf free internet is 3 hours per cruise. They took away some but gave other benefits in their place. It is a loyalty program, not given benefits.

all in all, it is now a very generous loyalty program.

You cannot be serious!

They are giving you 90 minutes free Internet time to pay your bills. Unless you have hundreds of bills to pay during your cruise surely this is enough time. If it isn't you have the option of using free wi Fi in bars while ashore or purchasing a top up package.

I am grateful for the return of some free Internet. Obviously you are not.

I am also grateful that Azamara gave us back some free internet and laundry.

You must not have ever used the onboard internet because unless you are using it at 3 AM it sometimes takes 5-10 minutes to load ONE WEB PAGE:(

My issue is comparing the Azamara benefits with those of Celebrity (which Azamara was spun off from).

As Zenith I get 1620 free minutes on Celebrity, 150 on Azamara.

Suite guests on 4/15 get UNLIMITED internet on Celebrity, 235 minutes on Azamara.

Similarly I get UNLIMITED laundry on Celebrity and ONE bag per cabin per week on Azamara.

The benefits are similar for Elite / Discovere but nothing close for the top level.

Edited by TommyD3

I am also grateful that Azamara gave us back some free internet and laundry.

You must not have ever used the onboard internet because unless you are using it at 3 AM it sometimes takes 5-10 minutes to load ONE WEB PAGE:(

My issue is comparing the Azamara benefits with those of Celebrity (which Azamara was spun off from).

As Zenith I get 1620 free minutes on Celebrity, 150 on Azamara.

Suite guests on 4/15 get UNLIMITED internet on Celebrity, 235 minutes on Azamara.

Similarly I get UNLIMITED laundry on Celebrity and ONE bag per cabin per week on Azamara.

The benefits are similar for Elite / Discovere but nothing close for the top level.

I cannot disagree with you. The Celebrity benefits are now wonderful and for someone on the top tier of loyalty like yourself Azamara doesn't compare. It is understandable why you may select Celebrity over Azamara for your future cruises.

I cannot disagree with you. The Celebrity benefits are now wonderful and for someone on the top tier of loyalty like yourself Azamara doesn't compare. It is understandable why you may select Celebrity over Azamara for your future cruises.

Agree 100% with Spursgirl. Celebrity top benefits are awesome. Working hard to reach Zenith. We do however, prefer the smaller ships of Azamara and the great interaction we have with the staff and crew. The experience difference makes it worthwhile.

Demanding 235 minutes is on the same scale as complaining that a basic liquor package doesn't include your favorite single malt scotch.

Not on the same scale at all....I would much rather have my favourite single malt Scotch than extra internet minutes! ;)

Azamara are really suffering having to work within the framework of the Captain's Club it would be much better if they separated totally. If you look at the reciprocal arrangements with RCI this stops at the Elite/Diamond level and I see no comments relating comparison of Elite to Pinnacle.

The fact is Azamara is a separate cruise line in its own right and should be and is making decision that it feels right for its own brand. Personally and I don't expect many will agree with me and although initially we would drop a level the points should be separated and the reciprocal arrangement stop at Discoverer / Elite / Diamond.

I'm just wondering if the top loyalty levels on NCL will be automatically given top level on Oceania and Regent?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Azamara are really suffering having to work within the framework of the Captain's Club it would be much better if they separated totally. If you look at the reciprocal arrangements with RCI this stops at the Elite/Diamond level and I see no comments relating comparison of Elite to Pinnacle.

The fact is Azamara is a separate cruise line in its own right and should be and is making decision that it feels right for its own brand. Personally and I don't expect many will agree with me and although initially we would drop a level the points should be separated and the reciprocal arrangement stop at Discoverer / Elite / Diamond.

I'm just wondering if the top loyalty levels on NCL will be automatically given top level on Oceania and Regent?

NCL has made clear that there will be no reciprocity. And I agree with your position to stop the reciprocal arrangement, only I'd drop it to Explorer level.

You are correct that reciprocity with Celebrity is an albatross Azamara has hanging around its neck. People who have contributed little to the Azamara bottom line by cruising on much less expensive sister cruise lines must be given the same benefits as those of us who have accumulated our points by taking much more expensive Azamara cruises, therefore contributing to Azamara's bottom line, not Celebrity's or Royal Caribbean's.

Yes, I know they all belong to the same parent company, but Larry Pimentel is measured on Azamara's profitability, cash flow, and return-on-investment, and having to give all those benefits to people who largely earned them on RCI's two mass-market lines clearly hurts the numbers of his much smaller, near-luxury line.

I think many people miss the point of Le Club Voyage. It is NOT a "loyalty" program. It is a marketing tool to attract repeat customers (it just doesn't care which entity within the corporate family those people are from). The fact that it might also attract customers from Celebrity or Royal Caribbean simply widens the target audience. The perks those customers receive is far outweighed by the revenue they generate (not to mention that a few of them will possibly be repeaters on Azamara).

I do find it a little odd that the Azamara-Celebrity reciprocity is 100% while Azamara-RCL and Celebrity-RCL limit the top tiers. However, someone made the decision to de facto merge the Azamara and Celebrity programs (and they are effectively merged since points earned on either one count on both), only the benefits granted are a bit different.

I am amused at all the discussion about loyalty. Real loyalty is a two-way street and is given in good times and bad. Many people here have no true loyalty to Azamara as the prevailing attitude was "If you are not going to give me the free stuff I want, I am not going to give you my business". And anyone who thinks a corporation is "loyal" to their customers doesn't understand the definition of the word.

A good company gives their customers value for their money and treats them with respect. But giving (or not giving) free stuff is not indicative of loyalty. As I said above, perks are a marketing tool. I don't think anyone confuses the perks given suite guests as any form of loyalty, it's simply an attempt to convince people that there is value in spending more money. Same with Le Club Voyage.

Edited by bob278

Wow, seriously people are still complaining about this?!?!? I am about to embark on my first Azamara cruise and am feeling some trepidation given the overwhelming negative tone of these boards over the last few months.

To the gentleman who started this thread, be thankful that a) they changed their minds and gave back some of the lost benefits; and b) that you are fortunate enough to be able to afford to cruise. There are many people to ill or poor to be able to do so and so we need to count our blessings rather than the opposite.

Things change in the world and not always for the better, instead of getting all worked up and angry about the things you cannot change, be thankful for the things you have.

I am sorry about the rant but i am tired of all the negativity. Count your blessings everyday and remind yourself how lucky you are.

Thank you all and I hope you all have fabulous and fun cruises.

Sabrina

I do find it a little odd that the Azamara-Celebrity reciprocity is 100% while Azamara-RCL and Celebrity-RCL limit the top tiers. However, someone made the decision to de facto merge the Azamara and Celebrity programs (and they are effectively merged since points earned on either one count on both), only the benefits granted are a bit different.

One might presume it's because Journey and Quest started their new life as Celebrity ships and were then split off as Azamara.

One might presume it's because Journey and Quest started their new life as Celebrity ships and were then split off as Azamara.

I did not realize that. It must have been a very brief period as our only cruise on Azamara was on Quest in April 2008 about 6 months after it was purchased (or more correctly transferred from Pulmantur). We were on her first transatlantic voyage. We used a travel agent and were not really aware of who owned/operated the ship, but I know it was called Azamara when we boarded. I found our invoice (on an e-mail) for that cruise (no wonder my wife says I am a pack-rat :D ). We paid $5,694 including taxes/fees for a 14-day cruise in what is now N1. We are paying about twice that for 16 days in the same category next March (and that is after the 50% off for second passenger). I know more is included, but who can drink $5,000 worth of booze in two weeks? :eek:

I did not realize that. It must have been a very brief period as our only cruise on Azamara was on Quest in April 2008 about 6 months after it was purchased (or more correctly transferred from Pulmantur). We were on her first transatlantic voyage. We used a travel agent and were not really aware of who owned/operated the ship, but I know it was called Azamara when we boarded. I found our invoice (on an e-mail) for that cruise (no wonder my wife says I am a pack-rat :D ). We paid $5,694 including taxes/fees for a 14-day cruise in what is now N1. We are paying about twice that for 16 days in the same category next March (and that is after the 50% off for second passenger). I know more is included, but who can drink $5,000 worth of booze in two weeks? :eek:

I agree. For us it is not worth it at a high price. I check to see if I find a cruise on Azamara that is a good value to me. So far no. I do enjoy a smaller ship. But I like newer ships. I am happy on most lines, therefore it is easier for me to pick a cruise.

Like everyone else, it is good to see Azamara displaying some sense reinstating LCV benefits which cost them little in financial terms, but potentially a lot in loyalty terms.

The weekly bag of washing is great, and the return of internet time is also, however, surely better an allocation of 90 minutes per week would be a much fairer arrangement for those of use who favour longer cruises.

Much better than the previous arrangement where 235 minutes x 2 were allocated for any length of cruise and crazy for a week, but well used on longer journeys where 90 minutes is now going to be not enough, especially with the slow connection time and often disconnected system.

So I will... I can't find that the matter is covered in the Le Club Voyage "Terms & Conditions"...

Azamara currently sells internet packages at five levels equal to or above the minimum thirty minute allotment provided through Le Club Voyage...

• 30 Minutes [$18.95 at current pricing]
  • 45 Minutes [$26.95 at current pricing]
  • 85 Minutes [$47.95 at current pricing]
  • 150 Minutes [$79.95 at current pricing]
  • 235 minutes [$99.95 at current pricing]

As recently revised, Azamara will--starting in 2015--provide Le Club Voyage members with an allotment of internet minutes based upon membership tier...

• Adventurer [30 Minutes]
  • Explorer [60 Minutes]
  • Discoverer [90 Minutes]
  • Discoverer Plus [120 Minutes]
  • Discoverer Platinum [150 Minutes]

The thresholds are not--and don't necessarily need to be--coextensive... But the questions are these: Will there be a dollar value attributed to the LCV allowances--where they don't already exist--for offset against initial purchase of a higher priced package? Or instead, will one be paying full price to buy additional minutes once the LCV allowance is exhausted?

The best example--just because the numbers work in terms of category commonality [and no, it doesn't apply to me!] is that of a Discoverer Platinum member who--from the outset--wants/needs the same 235 minute package to which now accustomed... In the first scenario, the 85 minute top-up [from 150 to 235 minutes] would cost $20 [$99.95-$79.95] under current Azamara pricing; in the second, those additional 85 minutes cost $47.95... While the absolute price difference is not a budget-buster, the relative difference is more than two-fold...

I've long felt--as noted by the previous poster--that internet allowances ought be tied to cruise duration... Surely, what works--and indeed might have been/might still be generous--on a seven/ten night cruise doesn't/won't work on a longer sailing [i have an eighteen night trip next year and will be lucky to merely log on/log off daily--with nothing else accomplished--under the revised allowance]... And then, I would hasten to add--though the concept is not new or unique to Azamara--that not everyone [ie; solos] receives a double internet allotment for equal membership level/cruise fare spend--as is often assumed here--despite an equal need to communicate...

Edited by Xport

I would assume that you'd pay full package price for additional minutes. Normally perks such as the LCV internet minutes "have no cash value". The maths for Discoverer Platinum to the highest internet package is straightforward, but not so for the other levels and would be very messy to work out. You get your free minutes and for anything extra you buy a package at the going rate. I'm ok with that.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

I have been reading all the threads about the changes in LCV. I think I understand all the changes and how people like or dislike them. What I gather is that people liked the "old way" better. Then there came the first set of changes. The laundry and internet was taken away. Other things were added. Most people (all most all on this board who posted, did not like it). If I recall right most said that the new changes that were added ,they would not benefit from. Then came the second set of changes. Laundry came back to the way it was, and the internet came back ,but in less minutes. So as I read it from this Azamara board it that the benefits that no one thought were good still stand, and some (internet) benefits are returned, but less of them plus laundry is back. Therefore, for those who will not benefit from the new "perks" add the first time will still lose some of the old "perks" internet minutes.

OK, now were there any other change made to the first set of changes that I miss when the second change was made? If so can you tell me?

Double points for solo travellers is a fairly major one. The ability to earn free nights for every 750 points accrued once reaching Discover Plus and above sorts out the issue with achievement for the higher levels. I make no comment as regards the terms and conditions, of which there are a few. I will just have to see how that works in practice.

Phil

Double points for solo travellers is a fairly major one. The ability to earn free nights for every 750 points accrued once reaching Discover Plus and above sorts out the issue with achievement for the higher levels. I make no comment as regards the terms and conditions, of which there are a few. I will just have to see how that works in practice.

Phil

Thanks ,I thought there was something that I missed.