Royal Princess Review

ibfern

Like Gloria, I sent out a little at a time to the laundry and I was prepared based on reports from the two segments prior to my cruise. My issue with the delayed laundry is that I've been on quite a few other cruises with higher numbers/percentages of Elite and there weren't any problems or delays. Maybe 2½ days instead of 1-2 days; not like the 7-8 days last year on the Royal or 4-5 days this year. That indicates to me that there's a problem. Whether it's facilities or staff, I don't know but the Royal is the only ship I've experienced delays on

I decided to not "take the 5th" because I've been at large tables for 8 several times when we were having so much fun and laughing so hard sometimes that we got looks from other tables. Last year on the Diamond, I could have sworn that a woman at the next tables was thinking, "I'll have what she's having." :) Or, maybe she just wanted to join us. I think it's lovely when people are having a good time. I'd rather hear laughter than people yelling at each other, which I've experienced.

like gloria, i sent out a little at a time to the laundry and i was prepared based on reports from the two segments prior to my cruise. My issue with the delayed laundry is that i've been on quite a few other cruises with higher numbers/percentages of elite and there weren't any problems or delays. Maybe 2½ days instead of 1-2 days; not like the 7-8 days last year on the royal or 4-5 days this year. That indicates to me that there's a problem. Whether it's facilities or staff, i don't know but the royal is the only ship i've experienced delays on

i decided to not "take the 5th" because i've been at large tables for 8 several times when we were having so much fun and laughing so hard sometimes that we got looks from other tables. Last year on the diamond, i could have sworn that a woman at the next tables was thinking, "i'll have what she's having." :) or, maybe she just wanted to join us. I think it's lovely when people are having a good time. I'd rather hear laughter than people yelling at each other, which i've experienced.

amen to that! Laughter is the medicine for the soul! :D :p :p :D

i am glad that "ibfern" is on our next cruise!

lol!

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

Hi Everyone,

This is "B" from Amelia's review. Actually my name is Bob or Robert on formal nights. Let's lighten up a bit. This has been blown way out of proportion. What is so wrong with laughing and having a good time? We didn't bother anyone, we didn't get any looks, no one ran to the purser, and no one jumped overboard (that we know of). We simply had a good time. That's all.

As for my klepto act, it was all in good fun. It's really too bad in this day and age that people go out of their way to be "offended". I don't know who laughed harder the head waiter, the wait staff or us. They didn't care one bit, neither did the people behind us. In fact, they joined right in. And I NEVER put anything in my underwear.

So we'll take your advice and from now on we'll be quiet, calm, long faced, sad, appropriate and not have a single bit of fun. Promise.

So before we continue throwing around insults and wild accusations about immaturity, rudeness, childlike behavior and inappropriateness, let's just go back to talking about important things like laundry, buffets, the lack of central staircases, and the quality of the hash browns.

Hi Everyone,

This is "B" from Amelia's review. Actually my name is Bob or Robert on formal nights. Let's lighten up a bit. This has been blown way out of proportion. What is so wrong with laughing and having a good time? We didn't bother anyone, we didn't get any looks, no one ran to the purser, and no one jumped overboard (that we know of). We simply had a good time. That's all.

As for my klepto act, it was all in good fun. It's really too bad in this day and age that people go out of their way to be "offended". I don't know who laughed harder the head waiter, the wait staff or us. They didn't care one bit, neither did the people behind us. In fact, they joined right in. And I NEVER put anything in my underwear.

Sounds like activity that belongs in a high school cafeteria and not a Princess ship or any cruise ship for that manner. I don't think that putting silverware and dishes under your clothing is appropriate adult behavior. I think most kids know better also.

Hi Everyone,

So we'll take your advice and from now on we'll be quiet, calm, long faced, sad, appropriate and not have a single bit of fun. Promise.

So before we continue throwing around insults and wild accusations about immaturity, rudeness, childlike behavior and inappropriateness, let's just go back to talking about important things like laundry, buffets, the lack of central staircases, and the quality of the hash browns.

The ironical part about people who act like that is that they don't even realize how irritating their behavior is until others point it out to them and even then they probably don't care either way.

Hope you had fun - maybe Carnival is better suited for your crowd next cruise. I hear that sort of activity is quite common on that line. :rolleyes:

Hi Everyone,

As for my klepto act, it was all in good fun. It's really too bad in this day and age that people go out of their way to be "offended". I don't know who laughed harder the head waiter, the wait staff or us. They didn't care one bit, neither did the people behind us. In fact, they joined right in.

You seem to have discounted completely this line from the original post. It is perhaps the most significant line on the subject at hand.

Yes one of our neighbors look [sic] like they were suffering being close to our loud and joyous table

The ironical part about people who act like that is that they don't even realize how irritating their behavior is until others point it out to them and even then they probably don't care either way.

Hope you had fun - maybe Carnival is better suited for your crowd next cruise. I hear that sort of activity is quite common on that line. :rolleyes:

There needs to be a like button!

Not only do they not realize how irritating and boorish their behavior is, when it is pointed out to them, they get defensive and insist nobody complained. Most people are too polite to tell anyone they are acting like fools!

There needs to be a like button!

Not only do they not realize how irritating and boorish their behavior is, when it is pointed out to them, they get defensive and insist nobody complained. Most people are too polite to tell anyone they are acting like fools!

"If you reject . . . and avoid the people, you might better stay home."

"If you reject . . . and avoid the people, you might better stay home."

Totally out of context and doesn't fit with immature behavior that disturbed others. Nice try-doesn't work here.:rolleyes: BTW, get the quote right.

Edited by Ethel5

Unless you were there being disturbed you have no clue as to the circumstances. But don't let that stop the piling on :rolleyes:

I don't need to see in-appropriate behavior in person. Descriptions are good enough. Food fights and sticking utensils in clothes. By the OP description, others were bothered.

Unless you were there being disturbed you have no clue as to the circumstances. But don't let that stop the piling on :rolleyes:

Of course no one was actually there but we've all had similar events happen to us in the past. A rowdy crowd sitting close by who thinks their humor is the funniest thing going when in fact most people can't wait to get far away from them. It's one thing to have a good time but to involve the whole section of the DR in the process is a little much.

Maybe it the new unlimited drink package to blame. :rolleyes:

I don't need to see in-appropriate behavior in person. Descriptions are good enough. Food fights and sticking utensils in clothes. By the OP description, others were bothered.

Sometimes reality and telling a story aren't quite the same thing. Give the poster the benefit of the doubt. She's not a cave women, she knows how to behave.

Unless you were there being disturbed you have no clue as to the circumstances.

Fine. I won't read anything into the situatuon, and will let the OP's words speak for themselves. These give us all a "clue as to the circumstances"

• So what if we were loud and raucous every night....
  • Yes one of our neighbors look like they were suffering being close to our loud and joyous table...
  • sometimes she faked being stern when we were having food fights, or just being loud and noisy...

No embellishment required. The bolded words tell us all we need to know. Yes, I laughed my butt off when I saw Al Czervik (Rodney Dangefield) in Caddyshack. But that doesn't mean that I want to dine next to someone like that while on vacation. "Hey baby, you must've been something before electricity."

Edited by JimmyVWine

Fine. I won't read anything into the situatuon, and will let the OP's words speak for themselves. These give us all a "clue as to the circumstances"

No embellishment required. The bolded words tell us all we need to know. Yes, I laughed my butt off when I saw Al Czervik (Rodney Dangefield) in Caddyshack. But that doesn't mean that I want to dine next to someone like that while on vacation. "Hey baby, you must've been something before electricity."

It still doesn't excuse the skewering the OP is getting. If people were that disturbed they could have said something to the maître d'

I am sorry but I find this to be pretty bad behavior

If someone came on this board and stated that there was children at the next table being

-loud and raucous every night....

-having food fights, or just being loud and noisy...

-playing with the cutlery

-and one of their neighbors looked like they were suffering being close to our loud and joyous table...

people on this board would go on and on about how poorly behaved these children were and their awful parents who were not correcting their behaviour and children dont belong on cruise ships and on and on and on......

just because you think your table was funny and entertaining, does not mean that it was. why should children be held to higher standards then the adults on the ships....at least children dont always know better

It still doesn't excuse the skewering the OP is getting. If people were that disturbed they could have said something to the maître d'

Why put strangers in the position of having to complain? :rolleyes:

Why not? Certainly better to complain about it when it happens instead of complaining about it here on Cruise Critic when nothing can be done. If it was that bad then I would expect the head waiter to come over to the table and ask that they tone it down a bit. But as usual no one wants to get involved and Princess does nothing and people here on CC like to tell you how you should enjoy yourself.

So what if we were loud and raucous every night....

Yes one of our neighbors look like they were suffering being close to our loud and joyous table...

sometimes she faked being stern when we were having food fights, or just being loud and noisy...

I think the criticism the OP is getting has to do with some unfortunate wording in the original post. "So what" indicates that no one cares how the behavior was perceived. "Look like they were suffering" indicates that perhaps someone did perceive the behavior in a negative light. "She faked being stern when we were having food fights" suggests that maybe the server did at least think she should try to tone things down (given the "suffering" next door.) I don't object to people having fun, but the way this is worded, it sounds as if the table was happy to offend people. If this was just a happy group having fun, I'm not sure why the OP felt the need to justify it ("So what?") Maybe one little line like "We were sorry if we disturbed anyone's dinner," would have dampened people's desire here to "pile on."

Well things have really come along since I read the review and jumped back in to read a few of the responses yesterday.

I'm a lot looser than the most hard line, "formal", rules-oriented CC members but even I cringed when I read the segments of the review that have been quoted repeatedly.

The truth is it's impossible to know what really happened. There's no way that Bob, or Robert on formal night, could have spirited away full settings for ten up his sleeves. So let's assume he was pretending to make off with butter dishes and things while others were giving their orders. Funny distraction that would build night after night and could be really funny. A few sidelong glances from nearby tables mean nothing- they could have been laughing really loudly on occasion. "Throwing food" could mean tossing a roll a little vigorously- I have five sons, I've seen it done at my table before :o.

However, the wording of the post makes it seem as though the table bordered on obnoxious and at least one crew member tried to unobtrusively put a stop to it. I would have been fine sitting next to the table for a night or two but not the entire cruise. It would have gotten old really quick.

All I can say is WOW!!! Am I the only one who read OP's post and understood she/he was saying??? It's clear to me they were having fun - GOOD! I've seen too many dour sourpusses on cruises lately. I think the OP's point was everyone had fun. I didn't take her/his words to suggest they were throwing food or anything gradeschoolers would do. However, being 52 years old, sometime I wish I was a gradeschooler again. The sheer happiness and joy I experienced as a child that most of us lose as we age and grow jaded and "mature." Sometimes when people write, they embellish and add color to the story to make it interesting. I suspect that's what occurred here. However, I'm somewhat shocked at the vitriolic responses. I certainly would welcome the OP and his/her friends at my table anytime. The others who vilify her/him - see ya - wouldn't want to be ya!!!

I didn't take her/his words to suggest they were throwing food or anything gradeschoolers would do.

The OP said that they engaged in "food fights" under the disapproving eye of a crew member. What part of that is ambiguous and not suggestive of throwing food? Is there another type of "food fight" of which I am not aware? It's one thing to have a differing interpretation of what went on. But the OP left no room for misinterpretation here.

A real food fight (to me, at least) is a full-out war - slinging mash potatoes, hurling Jello, etc. I suspect the OP tossed a few bread rolls. I've seen this numerous times on cruises (Cunard, Regent, Princess, RCL, and Disney). Didn't bother me a bit. I suspect had it been a "real" food fight, we would have heard about from another pax posting in horror. I guess my thought is I don't want to become so judgmental as I age that I end up being that very person younger people mock. Think about it.