De-wrinkling methods

izzypooch

I've found that bundle packing helps reduce wrinkles. I do iron things ahead of time, but I think the method would work fine without ironing. Here's a couple of videos to demonstrate:

I have used the bundling method for years and as soon as my bags get to the cabin I hang everything up. I have not had any issues with my clothes being wrinkled at all.

I've found that bundle packing helps reduce wrinkles. I do iron things ahead of time, but I think the method would work fine without ironing. Here's a couple of videos to demonstrate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPb9tLKoKN0

I do the same thing....I had my bag prepacked for the last cruise a week ahead due to things going on at work and at home and none of my clothing suffered. I have taken Downey Wrinkle Release, but steam from the shower has worked just fine when I was rolling my clothing.

I've seen the recommendation for the Downy Wrinkle Releaser lots of places, but haven't seen it in the store anywhere, so I contacted the company and apparently they don't sell it in Canada any more.

Do any of the Canadians out there have another product that they've seen that is similar, or should I try to find the Downy in the US if I travel there in the next few months before my trip?

Thanks,

Anne

I've seen the recommendation for the Downy Wrinkle Releaser lots of places, but haven't seen it in the store anywhere, so I contacted the company and apparently they don't sell it in Canada any more.

Do any of the Canadians out there have another product that they've seen that is similar, or should I try to find the Downy in the US if I travel there in the next few months before my trip?

Thanks,

Anne

Fabric softener plus water. No need to buy it if you have a bottle you can put it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And if steam, how exactly do I do it?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

When you are going for a shower, hang your wrinkled garment on a hanger on the hook in the bathroom. While you shower the steam in the room will relax the fibres of the garment, allowing you to "hand press" or smooth out the wrinkles. It works like a dream - we always pack DH's tux in a zip-lock in his carry-on (we've had lost luggage in the past and have not been able to attend formal evenings), and we use this method every time.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

I use the dry cleaner bags too. Have never had a problem with wrinkles.

Drycleaner bags for me as welll. Been using this method for all the years

I have been cruising.....that is more than 11 now:D......I learned about

it from this forum and it always works for me. The plastic acts as a buffer

and really prevents wrinkling:)

• 2 months later...

I am gonna get some Downy wrinkle release for us to take on our cruise in July. I've never used it :) I have gotten the iron from our stateroom host in the past. Are the little steamers permissible in cabins? I iron everything! Wrinkles are my enemy, on my clothes and face! :eek: ha!

Edited by MandyMommyof2

Dry cleaner bags got packing & if a wrinkle persists i just hang the offending item in the bathroom while we shower, the wrinkles disappear.

I tried the Downy & it stained a silk blouse, never again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Careful packing, unpack and hang up our clothes as soon as the luggage arrives at the cabin. Sometimes (not very often) a little downey wrinkle release and if necessary hang clothes in the bathroom while showering (steam).

Exactly what I do.

I've tried folders, bundling, etc. They don't do anything for me. I prefer to just pack and fold carefully. Also, suitcases that are too full or too empty lead to wrinkling.

I am gonna get some Downy wrinkle release for us to take on our cruise in July. I've never used it :) I have gotten the iron from our stateroom host in the past. Are the little steamers permissible in cabins? I iron everything! Wrinkles are my enemy, on my clothes and face! :eek: ha!

Some cruise lines allow steamers and others don't. I was able to take mine on Disney and Cunard but can't on HAL.

I purchased some of the Downey wrinkle release and tried it on some clothes at home to see if it is worth taking on cruises. I had good luck with my cotton and cotton blend clothes but I would not consider putting it on anything that is marked "Dry Clean Only".

I subscribe to the Vodka method. One squirt of vodka in the mouth, one squirt on the clothes, two squirts of vodka in the mouth, one squirt on the clothes....after a while, the wrinkles at least seem to disappear!

LOL! Loved that! I use the roll and pack method also plus I also use packing cubes that keep my clothing from moving around in my suitcase. I haven't used an iron on board a ship in years (accept for a couple of cruises ago when the DS (18 at the time I believe he was) crumpled his white dress shirt into his suitcase and when it came time for formal night...yeah...mom was ironing it for him...LOL!) Over the years I've learned to buy clothing made with fabrics that don't require ironing for when I travel or even for when I don't. :D

Edited by mousey

I think one should start with proper clothing. Lightweight, non iron, non cotton. I get all my clothing together but do not pack until hours before travel to ship.Use rollup method. Immediately unpack upon embarkcation. Rarely iron at home. Never buy anything new without considering articles weight. Planning a 72N cruise with one 50Lb. wheelie bag. Shoes my only weakness.

I pack evening clothes, jackets, slacks, shirts and dresses in dry cleaner bags in a hanging garment bag with everything on a hanger. Before folding the garments I put a rolled t-shirt where the crease will be. After 13 cruises I've only had to send one gown to be pressed before wearing.

I don't worry about casual clothes but I pack them carefully too. I can really tell my pre cruise packing efforts are worth it when I come home after the cruise and my clothes need pressed. :D Hate packing for disembarkation.

Mary Lou

I bought a travel steamer at bed bath and beyond.... I had read somewhere on one of the posts that it worked great. Happy New Year

You realize if they find the steamer in your luggage it will be taken away???

Steamers and irons are both "No no" items..... It may sneak thru, but that steamer will be confiscated if found.

It's just like irons they believe it's a safety issue. you can put it in your suitcase or carry on and it might actually get thru... But if they find it they will take it away.

If your ship has passenger laundry then they will have an iron and board set up there. We hang stuff up right away and also hanging in bathroom during showers helps a lot!

Remember you are on a ship full of people with slightly rumpled clothes so you are in good company :)

Lastly, pick a couple of the most important to you pieces and send them out from pressing! They do a great job and you are on vacation!!!

Have a great cruise and don't let a couple wrinkles spoil your day....

Edited by nana541

You are on vacation! Of course getting everything pressed would cost a fortune but.... Pick out 4 or 5 important things and any one can afford $20.

Sending just a couple things out is really affordable.... And you are in good company because everyone has wrinkled clothes :D

Lots of people have good luck with the spray... I gave up and just hang stuff up and send out a few things.

Edited by nana541