Stolen Items - Have You Ever Had Any?

MTNestr

I have a watch that I love which has a catch that occasionally opens on its own. After breakfast in the Lido one morning, I realized it was no longer on my arm. I trotted right back looked and didn't see it. Asked diners who were sitting near where I had eaten if they had seen it. Said yes--the steward had found it. I picked it up at lost and found.

On another occasion, we bought a bottle Grand Marnier in the ships store. It was packed in the carry off box and delivered to our stateroom while we were at dinner departure evening. When we got home and opened the box, the bottle was sticky on the out side. Looked and saw that the cap had been opened. So someone had a taste. Should have, but didn't report it.

We do leave cameras, laptops, and other electronics out and have never had an issue.

Edited by marti2282

Regarding under the lip in the safe - we asked them to be sure to check that and they said they asked ship personnel to do that. Now if they did or not we'll never know...

Bottom line: our mistake for leaving it (yes, we're old enough that we accept responsibility for our own actions/inactions knowing everything that happens is not someone else's fault...)

I have never had anything stolen out of my room on any cruise line in 42 cruises. We did meet a couple several years ago that claimed his dress shoes (very expensive ones with their own case) were stolen. I found that to be the very oddest thing to steal....somebody's shoes. It wasn't even at the end of the cruise, but halfway through....they left the case and stole the shoes.

Our friends found a pair of dress shoes under their bed when they got on board! Wonder if it was the same pair?? Gave them to the steward, so hope their owner got them back.

When we checked our room the night before leaving, we found a full suitcase under the bed. It was half opened with clothes sticking out of it. We gave it to the steward, but it did make me wonder if someone had removed it from outside a cabin the previous night, then dumped it under the bed in an open cabin on turnaround day? The steward didn't believe us at first when we said we'd found the case!

Now we always check under the bed when we board.....just in case!

I have never had anything stolen on a cruise or in port. However, though the vast majority of people are honest, I always take precautions with anything I value. I have several prescription meds, none of which anyone would want to take voluntarily, but I still lock them in the safe because I want to make sure I have them as I must take them daily. I think you just need to use common sense, especially with items that have value to you.

In all of our cruises we have never had anything stolen on the ship or in a port, thank God. I'm good about putting jewelry and cash in the safe, but do tend to leave ipad or camera out of the safe in the cabin at times.

I did lose a ring in the cabin a couple years ago, and the steward found it for me. :)

I never had anything stolen. But once I ended up with someone's camera. I put my camera on the Xray machine coming back on ship. Picked it up when it went through. Then I couldn't figure out where all these strange pictures came from. After about an hour I figured out I had someone's camera that looked like mine. I immediately returned it the passengers service desk. My camera was already turned in. I did lose a lot picture of Aruba. I did feel like an idiot.

I have never had anything stolen out of my room on any cruise line in 42 cruises. We did meet a couple several years ago that claimed his dress shoes (very expensive ones with their own case) were stolen. I found that to be the very oddest thing to steal....somebody's shoes. It wasn't even at the end of the cruise, but halfway through....they left the case and stole the shoes.

Our friends found a pair of dress shoes under their bed when they got on board! Wonder if it was the same pair?? Gave them to the steward, so hope their owner got them back.

When we checked our room the night before leaving, we found a full suitcase under the bed. It was half opened with clothes sticking out of it. We gave it to the steward, but it did make me wonder if someone had removed it from outside a cabin the previous night, then dumped it under the bed in an open cabin on turnaround day? The steward didn't believe us at first when we said we'd found the case!

Now we always check under the bed when we board.....just in case!

Aha...maybe mystery was solved. This was on the Ocean Princess, shortly after 911. I remember that because it was our first balcony ever. They offered us the same price for a balcony as we paid for an inside if we agreed to stay onboard. I believe and it was a 10 night cruise down in the Caribbean.

Interesting about the luggage under your bed -- it could easily happen although they do have film of the passengers in the hallways. While we have to be trusting with our belongings out in the hallways ... I am sure there is some thievery that does happen.

Have never had anything disappear on a cruise ship. However, some time within the past year I read a post here on Cruise Critic from someone who had their iPad taken from their room. They suspected that possibly a passenger had wandered by the stateroom when the steward was cleaning and had the door propped open with the cleaning cart but had left the room for a short period of time. Since reading that post we have taken careful note of this and we are amazed at how many times we have passed a room with the door propped open and no steward is in sight. We now take special care to lock all valuables in the safe when leaving the room.

My wife left her watch in the suite safe when packing. When we returned home that day we filled out the Princess lost item form and sent it to Princess. Our hope was the steward found it when cleaning the room and turned it in but Princess said no.

So either (a) my wife was mistaken about where she left it, (b) the steward found and kept it, or © it was found and kept by the next passengers.

Our bet is ©. It is also our loss...

We found a lady's' Bulova in the safe of a suite on a Caribbean cruise and turned it in to the Pursers Desk. We did not feel comfortable with the way our turning it in was handled. I asked for confirmation when the watch had been returned to its owner and gave them my business card for contact info. As I started to walk away, I turned and asked if she needed our cabin number, to which she responded "that would be helpful wouldn't it". We then watched her just push everything to the side and ask for the next person. Like I said, we never felt comfortable with our experience turning something in. Therefor, who knows what happened to your watch. We're just sorry you lost it.

We had a magnet stolen off of our door on a Princess cruise.

That brings back old memories. We had several Disney magnets stolen from our door - figured someone's kids wanted them more than us. We still place magnets on our door to help identify our room.

I always put my valuables in the safe so haven't had anything of that nature stolen. However, I did have a blouse stolen. It was the only time in 16 cruises that I had a female room steward (stewardess). I had a blouse that was my all time favorite. Really pretty and expensive. On the last night of the cruise I went to look for it and it was gone.:eek I hope she has gotten good wear out of it.:):)

There was a news item a couple of years back where someone had their iPhone stolen on a Disney cruise. The phone was stolen by a crew member who was then stupid enough to use it to post pictures of himself and other folks on the ship. Wow. People can be mind bogglingly stupid.

The question was for people who have had things stolen. Why would you answer if you've never had anything stolen?? Do you people think everybody is dying to read your posts. Not just this post but all of them...Just wondering

The question for was for both those who have and for those who have not had something stolen. If only those who had things stolen would answer than people would think it's the norm to have things stolen. I for one was very glad to hear how many have not had items stolen.

Yes, had a pair of binoculars stolen on an Alaskan cruise. Set them down on a chair outside. Came back and they were gone. My fault for leaving them. A pair of binoculars on an Alaskan cruise can be desirable. I'm sure it was a passenger.

Luckily out of all our cruises we have not missed anything from our cabin. We keep everything out of sight when not in the room which perhaps discourages five finger discounts. We don't take onboard anything expensive, keep our money, billfolds, passports, etc in the safe all the time. Everything else is kept in drawers.

On our carnival cruise last year, I had a pair of costume earrings. One of them broke, so I just threw them away in the garbage. When I went back to the room later, there were those earrings, quite nicely pulled out from the garbage, and put on the desk. I then wrapped them up in paper before throwing them away again. Just goes to show, that it is not worth it for the crew to steal anything, even if found in the garbage:rolleyes:

Rule of thumb when traveling never be so so trusting to not secure your valuables . When touring stay alert ,don t wear any jewelry , and avoid openning your purse or wallet on the street.