Stolen Items - Have You Ever Had Any?

MTNestr

Two fellow passengers had their backpacks pickpocketed at the Terra Cotta Warriors site in China. One couple lost their passports, all their cash and their credit cards. The other relatively elderly man felt the guy trying to open the backpack, knocked him down and sat on him until security arrived.

I guess my point is that I'd worry more about losing things off the ship than on it.

I'll just put in a good word for Princess passengers here... Watched the first showing on MUTS one evening, and returned to our cabin after it was over. Realized about an hour later that I couldn't locate my iPhone, and knew I had it while we were watching the movie. I had the worst feeling when I realized it was gone - plans, maps, lists - all on the phone. My husband went back upstairs to the chairs we had been using, and my phone was there, sitting where I had left it. I know I was very lucky, but I felt pretty good about my fellow passengers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by CATGUY7

We've been on 54 cruises and many, many all inclusive resort vacations and we have never had anything stolen. We have even forgotten to lock the safe a few times (each assumed the other did it) and every time everything was just as we left it. I keep my laptop and kindle in a drawer and they have never been touched.

I don't worry about the staff because they know if they are accused it may cost them their job. I worry about fellow passengers more. If we go to the pool with an I Pod or kindle and some cash we always have a beach bag. One of us always stays with the stuff (same at the beach clubs). If we go to lunch, we take everything with us.

Many years ago, my husband, two children, and I took a Mexican Riviera cruise on Carnival. Several of the cruise staff approached my husband, wanting to buy his ball cap, but he needed it to cover his bald pate. Apparently there was something about the cap that was unique to them. One morning after breakfast, we returned to our cabin, and the cap was missing, along with my teenage daughter's hair pick (of all things). We contacted security, which was quite unsympathetic and suggested that we misplaced the items. We were told that if they turned up, we would be notified. The value of the items was very minor, but we never felt safe, knowing that our cabin wasn't secure. We learned a very inexpensive lesson about people, cruise lines, and "valuables".

Edited by Crystabel

I had a dress removed from my luggage when I left the bags out in the hallway for disembarkation on an NCL cruise many years ago.

We had a woman steward assigned to our cabin.

I recall that she saw me wearing the dress one evening and complimented me about the dress.

I know that I had packed it because we always make a clean sweep of the cabin- closets and drawers- before we leave the cabin for the last time.

Lesson learned- I pack valuables and any favorite/difficult to replace clothing in the carry on bags we keep with us for disembarkation.

You should have reported the room attendant and had her give you the dress back or the local port authorities would be meeting her.

Several years ago on a Princess excursion. In St. Petersburg bought lots of souvenirs. Before our bus stopped for lunch I was showing my husband all the things I purchased. One was a lacquor box.I tightly closed up the bags(knotted), and left on the seat. Tour guide said all would be safe. I noticed two ladies at the back of the bus lingering and not getting off right away. After lunch got back on the bus, my bags were wide opened and the lacquor box was gone.It was the most valuable of my purchases. Hard to point blame at someone unless you saw it happening.People sitting near me checked their bags and mine was the only one missing anything.

You should have demanded that the bus driver that no one gets off until your lacquor box has been found. I would have searched everyone's bag until I found the stolen goods and then turned them in to the Princess Security to punish them.

You should have reported the room attendant and had her give you the dress back or the local port authorities would be meeting her.

Personally I think both things should have happened.

Also regarding the missing box on the bus, I have to agree with your way of handling the situation.

Edited by Treven

I didn't want to make a fuss.Wouldn't have bus driver do that. Tour guide was in charge. Would not want to put the rest of innocent passengers through that. This was 7 years ago. I didn't want to create any kind of problem,just felt a lesson learned, be careful of fellow passengers, one may be a cleptomaniac. I carry a tote bag on Princess

tour buses now and any purchases are with me at all times. On small private tours (which is what I mostly do now), I feel better about leaving things on the bus.

On one cruise my husband had forgotten his swim trunks so bought a pair at first port. Those along with some other purchases were placed on security scanner when boarding the ship. We observed the lady ahead of us pick up our bag and attempted to catch her but the ship security stopped us from hurrying through--even when we explained to them the situation. The lady took off rapidly and we reported the loss. We later even observed her and knew her cabin number but she denied "finding" any items. On the very last day a few of the items turned up at lost and found.

Now one of us always goes through any security line ahead of any bags and the other follows the bags.

50+ cruises on 9 different lines, 25+ with Princess, never had anything stolen. Have been traveling for 30 years, never lost a thing.

We do not leave thing out and about in hotel rooms, cruise cabins etc. Try not to encourage folks to make mistakes...

On one cruise my husband had forgotten his swim trunks so bought a pair at first port. Those along with some other purchases were placed on security scanner when boarding the ship. We observed the lady ahead of us pick up our bag and attempted to catch her but the ship security stopped us from hurrying through--even when we explained to them the situation. The lady took off rapidly and we reported the loss. We later even observed her and knew her cabin number but she denied "finding" any items. On the very last day a few of the items turned up at lost and found.

Now one of us always goes through any security line ahead of any bags and the other follows the bags.

This scares me especially at Airport TSA lines. I need to keep my gaurd up on the ship also especially with Cameras.

This wasn't a cruise, but a land vacation at Hawks Cay Resort on Duck Key. I had (stupidly) left my small diamond earrings by the sink in our room and when I came back, only one was there. They were far enough away that I knew one hadn't jumped down the sink drain. I reported it, but nothing was ever done.

Lesson learned to always keep my earrings in my ears or leave them at home.

This! And it happened to me at an airport while I was detained by an overly enthusiastic TSA agent. But it could just as easily happen on a ship. Just as on your ship, TSA could not have cared less, and accepted no responsibility whatsoever. My husband and I are now using your system. I lost a book, and had no time to replace it before an International flight-I was so bored I actually slept!!

Not everything attractive to a thief is valuable. Twice I have had my Xanax (that I take for flying) go missing, once from a hotel room and another time, either on the cruise or post cruise hotel stay. That time the bottle wasn't taken, but most of the pills were missing. At least the thief left me one for the trip home!