Stolen Items - Have You Ever Had Any?

MTNestr

I've never had anything stolen, knock wood. I always leave my camera and laptop out on the desk in my cabin while I'm "out and about" and have never worried about it.

Edited by Treven

I was at a nice resort in barbados last year....left a dress,towel and book on a chaise....30 min later all gone...first time in countless times to island beaches that something was touched....I never bring valuables so was surprised something so mundane was taken....and that was my favorite beach dress ever!

Brand new, just came out iPhone 5. Embarkation day during Hurricane Sandy. No one was on pool deck except us. Just eating something by ourselves and watching a concert on MUTS, but was very eerie because of the pending storm. So we went to the deck bar to fill my soda cup before we retreated to our cabin. Might have put it on bar stool. Went down to mini-suite, rested for an hour, then went to muster. As soon as I got to Muster lounge, reached in my hoodie for my phone to shut it down, and thought I forgot it in room during our rest. Ran back after drill and it wasn't there. Ran up to deck bar, still only the two bartenders were there; they said they didn't see it. Went back to cabin, used Find My IPhone on DW iPhone but it was already shut off!!. Asked Cabin Stewart and he said 'what a bummer'. Only two possibilities: at deck bar or in cabin. Reported it, but it was never found.

Oh well....still enjoyed cruise in spite of it.

Paul

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We never had anything stolen from room or anywhere onboard ship.

When out on excursions, we do not bring anything of value. One Bank card that we use for vacation that is not tied to any other accounts and it is limited to $1000. Of course if someone gets it at the last port, not even worth stealing.:D:D

I have never had anything stolen out of my room on any cruise line in 42 cruises. We did meet a couple several years ago that claimed his dress shoes (very expensive ones with their own case) were stolen. I found that to be the very oddest thing to steal....somebody's shoes. It wasn't even at the end of the cruise, but halfway through....they left the case and stole the shoes.

We were on a Norwegian cruise once and packed all in carry on luggage. We found a souvenir on one of the islands we just had to have but that entailed leaving a pair of leather sandals (pretty new and nice but hurt the feet). We asked the room steward if he liked them, which he did....and we said, just take them. He thanked us profusely but wouldn't take them until after we disembarked at the end of the cruise.

Over the many years

Had camera taken out of back pack (on back) in Canada

Had ONE purse taken out of bum bag in Zanzibar

Had a beautiful new black jet beaded stole removed from my chair and never found its way to lost property on my first Princess cruise On that particular cruise many people had items stolen from them (even shoes from under the table when watching a show one person said)

So you do not have to be careless to be unlucky

My husband and I had our backpack stolen from a bus on a princess excursion in Costa Rica. We suspect it was the bus driver as his pack was the only one not touched. Don't trust even when they say it is ok to leave items on the bus.

Just a note: Princess did help us get reimbursed for the loss. For that reason we almost always take ship excursions instead of private ones.

We had played a round of trivia in one of the bar lounges and then went back to our cabin to dress for dinner. I remembered that I had left my new Vera Bradley small purse that had my iPhone 4, a brand new coffee card, and tissues in it. The phone had a app so I could use a map on it to find my way around the ship or play games while waiting for something to start. When I returned to the lounge, found the purse on the ground hidden between lounge chairs. Inside was the coffee card and tissues but the phone was gone. Old phone so think it could only be used for parts. We reported it and checked every day to see if it had been 'found' but no luck. Right after reporting it, we too went back to our room and turned it off so no one could use it to call all over the world. We didn't have the 'find my phone' turned on nor did we have a safety code to get into it. That has now changed. Lesson learned.

This is almost funny...

A couple of years ago on an Alaskan cruise we were hanging out in Skywalkers watching the sunset as we were leaving Skagway. We finally got up and went to our room and bed. We were getting up early the next morning for GBNP; anyway, next morning I'm looking for my glasses then my coats missing. I'm going nuts looking for them wanting to get ready to get outside. I started thinking about where I saw them last... Skywalkers??? So the wife and I head to Skywalkers and low and behold my jacket and glasses were still on the sofa we had been sitting on. I then turned to my wife and said I was not the only one to leave their jacket, there was another one on the sofa. She looked and said that's my jacket:p... She had 2 twenties in the side pocket still there.

:D

framer

I had a dress removed from my luggage when I left the bags out in the hallway for disembarkation on an NCL cruise many years ago.

We had a woman steward assigned to our cabin.

I recall that she saw me wearing the dress one evening and complimented me about the dress.

I know that I had packed it because we always make a clean sweep of the cabin- closets and drawers- before we leave the cabin for the last time.

Lesson learned- I pack valuables and any favorite/difficult to replace clothing in the carry on bags we keep with us for disembarkation.

Several years ago on a Princess excursion. In St. Petersburg bought lots of souvenirs. Before our bus stopped for lunch I was showing my husband all the things I purchased. One was a lacquor box.I tightly closed up the bags(knotted), and left on the seat. Tour guide said all would be safe. I noticed two ladies at the back of the bus lingering and not getting off right away. After lunch got back on the bus, my bags were wide opened and the lacquor box was gone.It was the most valuable of my purchases. Hard to point blame at someone unless you saw it happening.People sitting near me checked their bags and mine was the only one missing anything.

I hope the OP is not questioning the ethics of crew members. Because that is the last thing they would EVER DO. The job means much more to them in terms of supporting family and hopefully sending their children to college.

Most of the crew come from Asian countries and are raised in cultures very unlike the US or the West. They know behavior like that is not good and it would never even occur to them to steal or lie. The crew walk on eggshells constantly for fear of offending a passenger and being fired.

I do know this to be true because we have two good friends that have worked on ships for over 10 years.

I hope the OP is not questioning the ethics of crew members. Because that is the last thing they would EVER DO. The job means much more to them in terms of supporting family and hopefully sending their children to college.

Most of the crew come from Asian countries and are raised in cultures very unlike the US or the West. They know behavior like that is not good and it would never even occur to them to steal or lie. The crew walk on eggshells constantly for fear of offending a passenger and being fired.

I do know this to be true because we have two good friends that have worked on ships for over 10 years.

I wouldn't say most are from Asian counties, as I see more from Mexico and Eastern Block Countries.

My wife left her watch in the suite safe when packing. When we returned home that day we filled out the Princess lost item form and sent it to Princess. Our hope was the steward found it when cleaning the room and turned it in but Princess said no.

So either (a) my wife was mistaken about where she left it, (b) the steward found and kept it, or © it was found and kept by the next passengers.

Our bet is ©. It is also our loss...

My wife left her watch in the suite safe when packing. When we returned home that day we filled out the Princess lost item form and sent it to Princess. Our hope was the steward found it when cleaning the room and turned it in but Princess said no.

So either (a) my wife was mistaken about where she left it, (b) the steward found and kept it, or © it was found and kept by the next passengers.

Our bet is ©. It is also our loss...

Or it is still there hidden under the inside lip.