Is RCL heading in the Wrong Direction... ?

Doc Rick

Is RCL heading in the Wrong Direction... ?

Yea, China. :D

I guess I feel fortunate that I started cruising in 2006 when they still had the midnight buffet and a few other pre cost cutting extras. I have seen a somewhat decline in MDR services the past few cruises. Still I find the value is still there.

Win-Win? All the other cruise lines are adding cabin inventory in the Caribbean over the next few years with newer, larger ships!

RCL will not be able to maintain high prices vs the competition no matter what they say, and this comes from a stockholder in RCL!:eek:

And Apple will not be able to come out with a new higher priced iPhone and have people lined up for hours to buy it on day one...oh wait...

because there are cheaper smartphones out there that are flooding the market which will force Apple to lower prices ... oh wait ...

:)

Very cute comments.

We love cruising. We also love all inclusive resorts (AI). We wouldn't give up either.

We are still trying out different cruise lines, even though we do have preferences. Here is my take:

By the way most of the top lines will automatically match a lower price and you don't even have to ask them.

I opted not to quote your entire post but you make excellent points. Don't think with what we've paid for a GS we haven't cast an eye at some of the top-tier brands. We're just at a place in our life where anything longer than 7 days wreaks all sorts of havoc on our employers (retirement is still a LONG way off), pets, neighbors and our own to-do lists.

If 3 of the 4 trips so far on RCL hadn't been within driving distance, we might well be posting on the Celebrity Forum instead. That was a big factor, and with Carnival the only other nearby choice at the time...

Edited by MichaelCMTX

Apple has a unique proprietary product, whose quality justifies the cost. I don't think Royal can say that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

To some degree I think Royal already does have a unique product (rock wall, ice skating rink, promenade, etc.) but I think that is the direction they are moving. I would call it upscale casual. At least that is the way the marketing is starting to feel to me.

Just my opinion.

To some degree I think Royal already does have a unique product (rock wall, ice skating rink, promenade, etc.) but I think that is the direction they are moving. I would call it upscale casual. At least that is the way the marketing is starting to feel to me.

Just my opinion.

Bumper cars.

Ice skating.

Big red bear.

Mall aka Promenade.

Merry go round.

Yea, I am not seeing the upscale thing.

Bumper cars.

Ice skating.

Big red bear.

Mall aka Promenade.

Merry go round.

Yea, I am not seeing the upscale thing.

My point being that RCL is unique in some regards already and is moving in the direction of upscale casual. I am not saying that they are there yet.

My point being that RCL is unique in some regards already and is moving in the direction of upscale casual. I am not saying that they are there yet.

I do not feel they are moving towards upscale. If they were, they would focus on quality of food and standard cabin perks. Champagne when you arrive. Having guest lecturers on every cruise. Teak decking. Adding bumper cars, a crane and a ghastly giant red bear doesn't give me the impression that they are trying to be more upscale.

Edited by Tutankhamen

What's the deal with the Bear...? Kind of looks way out of place - maybe it's just me...

I don't know. Perhaps if the Ritz Carlton strap a blue 15' penguin to the side of their hotels, they could gain another star.

Bear to me is equal to the infamous 'whale tail'. At least the silly whale tail on Carnival has an aquatic theme.

Edited by Tutankhamen

My point was the quality. Apple's service is great. Royal's has been slipping. And all the stuff is being done by others, rock wall, etc. I enjoyed the great service & the amenities. Their product is not distinctive nor service exceptional. My thoughts are that you get less for more money. Why not get less for less money on NCL? And they have water slides. I really hope the service goes back to the much criticized "old days".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

I do not feel they are moving towards upscale. If they were, they would focus on quality of food and standard cabin perks. Champagne when you arrive. Having guest lecturers on every cruise. Teak decking. Adding bumper cars, a crane and a ghastly giant red bear doesn't give me the impression that they are trying to be more upscale.

OK, I guess the High Style Hits the High Seas marketing is directed at the Wal-Mart crowd.

and with that I am done

/unsubscribe

I read the article a few days ago and laughed. Another competitor to Royal came up with the same comment six months ago. I was looking to book a West Coast cruise at the time and once the final payment period lapsed prices dropped two hundred dollars a person so I booked. This sounds like noise to me..... sailing with empty cabins is not a smart corporate decision.

Heres one to think about. I had a major hotel holder come out and say we now have a better point credit system for rewards to our customers so we are going to issue you a new credit card. That credit card was inferior to the card issued for people who like to travel alot. Sometimes corporate decisions do come back to bite. I like Royal but have not booked a cruise with them in four years. I am listening to the noise and watching. Tim

OK, I guess the High Style Hits the High Seas marketing is directed at the Wal-Mart crowd.

and with that I am done

/unsubscribe

Oh, their advertising campaign says "high style" and so they are going upscale.

Walmart has what they call "high-end" products. I guess they are the next Neiman Marcus.

Edited by Tutankhamen

I don't see them pandering to first time cruisers over their loyal customers. I'm not trying to be critical when I ask why people think that but... why do people think that? Is it because their branching into new markets? It a serious question. :confused:

My first cruise was in 2013. 2nd in 2014. Third will be in 2015:

1st Cruise (Mariner - 2 people):

$2770 for an E1 balcony

$1000 onboard spending (I booked all 3 excursions with RCI. I went to the Spa. I had a few drinks on board. I bought Ben & Jerry's on the 1st day and my son bought it several times. And then the daily tips for 2 people.)

2nd Cruise (Navigator - 2 people):

$2500 for a D1 balcony (bigger room, smaller price)

$600 (maybe) onboard spending (I booked 1 excursion with RCI. No spa trip. Still had a few drinks on board. Even bought some liquor to take home. 1 dinner in a specialty restaurant. No Ben & Jerry's. And the daily tips for 2 people.)

3rd (upcoming) Cruise (Freedom - 2 people):

$2500 for a JS (bigger room, lower price)

I don't plan to book any excursions through RCI, but I will be getting a cabana in Labadee (which will be split among 5 people so, $100 for me). I also do plan to get the drink package for me and the kid. I'll probably get a bag at Michael Kors. Dinner at Sabor at least once. And the daily tips. So my spending will be a up this time, but I'm trying the package to see if I like it. If not, I won't do it again.

I'm going on a bigger ship in a bigger room and still not paying what I paid for my 1st cruise. And I keep looking for those price drops!

For my first cruise I wanted to go 'all out'. LOL!!! It was my first real vacation in almost 15 years. The first EVER with my son. People said I was wasting money on a balcony and that a 7 day cruise was too long and that those excursions cost too much! But I said "I'mma go big or go home!" LOL!!!!

Now, I still wanna go big, but I also wanna get a good deal.;)

So yeah, the first time cruisers, the ones who don't know to avoid the $120 Fire & Ice mani/pedi at the spa :rolleyes: (and the $30 product they tell you you REALLY need :(), they DO pander to them. They're going to SPEND and RCI isn't going to have to invest ANY perks into them because they haven't earned them yet!

My first cruise was in 2013. 2nd in 2014. Third will be in 2015:

1st Cruise (Mariner - 2 people):

$2770 for an E1 balcony

$1000 onboard spending (I booked all 3 excursions with RCI. I went to the Spa. I had a few drinks on board. I bought Ben & Jerry's on the 1st day and my son bought it several times. And then the daily tips for 2 people.)

2nd Cruise (Navigator - 2 people):

$2500 for a D1 balcony (bigger room, smaller price)

$600 (maybe) onboard spending (I booked 1 excursion with RCI. No spa trip. Still had a few drinks on board. Even bought some liquor to take home. 1 dinner in a specialty restaurant. No Ben & Jerry's. And the daily tips for 2 people.)

3rd (upcoming) Cruise (Freedom - 2 people):

$2500 for a JS (bigger room, lower price)

I don't plan to book any excursions through RCI, but I will be getting a cabana in Labadee (which will be split among 5 people so, $100 for me). I also do plan to get the drink package for me and the kid. I'll probably get a bag at Michael Kors. Dinner at Sabor at least once. And the daily tips. So my spending will be a up this time, but I'm trying the package to see if I like it. If not, I won't do it again.

I'm going on a bigger ship in a bigger room and still not paying what I paid for my 1st cruise. And I keep looking for those price drops!

For my first cruise I wanted to go 'all out'. LOL!!! It was my first real vacation in almost 15 years. The first EVER with my son. People said I was wasting money on a balcony and that a 7 day cruise was too long and that those excursions cost too much! But I said "I'mma go big or go home!" LOL!!!!

Now, I still wanna go big, but I also wanna get a good deal.;)

So yeah, the first time cruisers, the ones who don't know to avoid the $120 Fire & Ice mani/pedi at the spa :rolleyes: (and the $30 product they tell you you REALLY need :(), they DO pander to them. They're going to SPEND and RCI isn't going to have to invest ANY perks into them because they haven't earned them yet!

That's not Royal pandering to new cruisers. If you walk through those spa doors, they'll try to separate you from your money no matter how many cruises you've been on. Royal doesn't even run the spa.

We just experienced the way companies should provide service and respond to adversity.

While in Fort Lauderdale, we stayed three nights at the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort. When we checked in, the desk clerk greeted us with these words, "We are so welcome to have you stay at our resort. Since this your first time here and as a diamond member we have upgraded your room to a suite." (This is without us asking for anything.) Throughout our stay they did everything they could to make our stay more pleasant. But the real kicker came at checkout.

I had checked my bill on the TV screen before I was ready to check out (yes, their TV system does work). I noticed that the last night was charged at a higher price. I got out my confirmation to see if it was the same. According to my confirmation, all three nights were quoted at the same price.

So I took my confirmation and went down to the front desk. I very calmly

asked why they were different. The initial reply I got reminded me of RCI. "We are charging a different price on your last night because the boat show is open (translation, because we can) and our quote is only the price at the time and subject to change.

That is when I lost it. "Are you telling me that prices that you quote in writing are not firm and can be changed without telling your customers?

At that moment, the front desk supervisor ws walking by and interrupted the conversation. He asked me if I had the confirmation. I showed it to him and he immediately said that he would give me a new bill with the prices I was quoted. He then apologized profusely and took full responsibility for the error.

After our recent experience on the Oasis, does anyone believe that is the kind of reaction you would get from RCI? Perhaps they should send their people to Hilton for training.

After our recent experience on the Oasis, does anyone believe that is the kind of reaction you would get from RCI? Perhaps they should send their people to Hilton for training.

.....I would suspect the Hilton attracts a higher class of people than the Oasis where the "belly dwellers" try to clip and scam pennies off the fare and fall back on "Do YOU know my Royal status?" to an underpaid semi enslaved employee...........

Going back to my original point, the big question is if this new demographic of RC cruiser will be as loyal and frequent cruisers as those of us who have been gradually pushed into looking for an alternative to RC.

I believe loyalty to ANY vacation option will depend on the disposable income that people have to use. Years ago, there was a lot more disposable income in people's hands (unless of course you were the very rich). Royal has also tried to make sure they can attract the disposable cash that people have to put into a vacation, and make it a special experience.

If you listened to the last company call you'd have heard that they aren't having a problem filling their ships and that's why prices remain high. I understand that they need to draw new cruisers to their product but I don't see them pandering to first time cruisers over their loyal customers. I'm not trying to be critical when I ask why people think that but... why do people think that? Is it because their branching into new markets? It a serious question. :confused:

Simple mathematics answers your question! Lets just focus on the Caribbean for a moment!

Recently there has been more cabins available to purchase in the Caribbean! Prices have never been better, and this trend will continue for at least te next 5-10 years! As a stockholder in RCL and Carnival (for the onboard credit:D) I can assure you that what you're hearing is Corporate mumbo jumbo!:D

Ex. The 3 largest Ports in Florida, Ft Lauderdale, Miami, and Port Canaveral have added additional cabins available over the last few years because of larger ships, and because of more ships! And with the current orders for larger ships replacing older smaller ships, this trend will continue for the foreseeable future!

Carnival has added their Costa ships from the Med. into their Caribbean itineraries while also adding larger, new ships for their Caribbean itineraries! MSC has added 2 larger ships to sail their Caribbean itineraries! NCL added larger, and additional ships to their Caribbean itineraries! And of course RCL is adding larger ships to their Caribbean itineraries! Larger, and additional ships means more cabins available=lower prices/more benefits!

Recently we did a back to back 14 day Caribbbean Cruise in a balcony for less then $400. per person, per week! 5 years ago it would have cost more to get an ocean view!:eek:

Cruise lines have been offering free drink pkges., free gratuities, on board credit, free excursions, etc. to get people on board so I would see this all as showing difficulty getting the cabins sold, and yes, even for RCL!! RCL didn't run the 2nd cruiser half off because they like us, it was to sell cabins that weren't selling!:eek:

Edited by American Bear

In response to the OPs title - is RCL heading in the wrong dircetion? My answer is that I don't know if it is the wrong direction but, rather, a different direction with a different target market. They are a business and in business to make as much profit as possible PERIOD.

From reading CC for several years, I think the Loyalists, for the most part, are loyal because they have benefitted personally from their loyalty by receiving balcony discounts, free drinks and exclusive access to prime, non-revenue generating, real estate. Me thinks that if the balcony discounts and lounge access were reduced then many of the Loyalists would scream loudly and then start looking at their vacation alternatives.

RCLs business model is changing, like it or not. They were a single cruise line positioned as the best of the value lines. Consolidation of the lines within the industry has changed many things and made for a more tiered industry. Like it or not RCL, in my opinion, views Carnival and NCL as their prime competitors and they are all vying for their share of that market and the innovations in the ships are all about garnering a larger percentage of that specific market.

The acquisitions of Celebrity and Azamara have caused RCI to seriously look at their business model and the realization that each line must be targeted to a different market with a different price point. I am probably wrong but I foresee, in the not too distant future, a large cut back in loyalty perks. RCL is expanding their market and trying to fill more berths by positioning their ships in different markets around the world. If they can figure out how to sail full then the loyalty perks will be further reduced. Believe me, the bean counters have figured out that the higher end suite cruisers and the vacation cruisers spend much more onboard than the frequent cruisers, in general. How to attract and then keep each of these demographics happy is what they have to figure out. I think they are struggling with implementing their long range plans for growth. The IT is terrible, it is hard to employ, train and retain enough good people to staff the ships.... Only time will tell but anyone that thinks RCL has any loyalty to them (with a few exceptions) is delusional.

Wrong direction? I think they would say it is just a different direction with a lot of moving parts to figure out.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using Tapatalk

Edited by NemoCrownie

Simple mathematics answers your question! Lets just focus on the Caribbean for a moment! Recently there has been more cabins available to purchase in the Caribbean! Prices have never been better, and this trend will continue for at least te next 5-10 years! I can assure you that what you're hearing is Corporate mumbo jumbo! Ex. The 3 largest Ports in Florida, Ft Lauderdale, Miami, and Port Canaveral have added additional cabins available over the last few years because of larger ships, and because of more ships! And with the current orders for larger ships replacing older smaller ships, this trend will continue for the foreseeable future! Carnival has added their Costa ships from the Med. into their Caribbean itineraries while also adding larger, new ships for their Caribbean itineraries! MSC has added 2 larger ships to sail their Caribbean itineraries! NCL added larger, and additional ships to their Caribbean itineraries! And of course RCL is adding larger ships to their Caribbean itineraries! Larger, and additional ships means more cabins available=lower prices/more benefits!

In response to the OPs title - is RCL heading in the wrong dircetion? My answer is that I don't know if it is the wrong direction but, rather, a different direction with a different target market. They are a business and in business to make as much profit as possible PERIOD. RCLs business model is changing, like it or not. The acquisitions of Celebrity and Azamara have caused RCI to seriously look at their business model and the realization that each line must be targeted to a different market with a different price point. Wrong direction? I think they would say it is just a different direction with a lot of moving parts to figure out.

Great posts ... right on the money!