Fine Jewelry shopping in the Caribbean

darlacat

Hello - we're heading to a number of Islands via Royal in March and for the first time in my life, I'm putting aside some disposable income to pick up a piece or two of nice jewelry - I've been wearing cheap stuff all my life and this will be a real treat!

But I'm afraid. Afraid of getting caught up in a scam. Being sold something that seems like a great deal, only to get home and learning that it's worth nothing or only a fraction of what I paid for it. Not real gold. Not real gems. This keeps me up at night.

The only other cruise I've been on was with Carnival and they had shopping consultants trying to herd everyone to specific shops to buy specific things, but I lost my trust in them after witnessing a bizarre "watch sale" of cheap crap in which they worked the cruisers into a frenzy. It was a mob scene and those watches were not worth a penny more than the price they were selling them at! I don't think I'd be asking their advice on anything.

I know how to google and I've googled "Jewelry Shopping in the Caribbean" and have learned a few things - but I still have trust issues because anyone can put anything on the internet. I'm more inclined to trust some seasoned travellers who have spent time and have shopped on some of these islands.

Do you have any advice? Or some reassurance? We're stopping at Barbados, PR, St. Martin, St. Croix, Antiqua and St. Lucia. I would put this in the Port section - but I was hoping to generate a talk about Caribbean Jewelry shopping in general. Thanks in advance.

If you will be visiting St. Maarten or St. Thomas, I would recommend Balerina Jewelors. I don't think they are on the shopping list thru the cruise line, but we have bought several pieces of fine jewelry from them and it has always appraised for more back in the states.

We usually shop in the store in downtown St. Thomas.

Barbara

St Maarten (dutch side) and St Thomas have the most stores. diamonds international is in every port (so you know). I bought a watch from them because it was what i wanted and was looking for it. I also can only stand so much time looking. Check out the ship shop before you step in any port to get an idea of what prices can run. Look at home too. Better to be an informed shopper. In Barbados they have lots of shops in the terminal but the better selection is Downtown and that is only a 10 to 15 minute walk from the port. Front street in St Maarten is about a 12 to 15 minute walk from the port and there are shops in the port terminal area too. The french side has jewelry too but not as many shops and it is a bit of taxi ride. Good luck with your shopping and have fun. So many gems to look at it can be overwhelming.

michelle

Edited by seashell

For fine jewelry, I buy at a couple of trusted jewelers at home. If there are any problems, they are easily and promptly taken care of.

This is the best advice really. The days of getting great deals on jewelry in the Caribbean are long gone. You might find a unique piece that will remind you of your vacation which is fine but don't expect a bargain. You should have a working knowledge of quality/prices before you buy.

As a rule of thumb, jewelry should appraise for about twice its purchase price. This does not in any way mean that you could ever sell it for the appraised price.

For really good value jewellery buy at home and pre-owned if possible. In the UK this is the best way of getting the very best value as all the taxes were paid when it was new.

Buying on holiday MAY be good value but it would be very difficult if you had any problems with valuation/problems.

I have been lucky. My first ring I bought in St. Thomas for $600.. Found out when we got home it was worth about $1,000.

Last 2 years we went to to Shivas jewelers in St Marteen. 75 front street. They are super patient and don't play games. like some of them you walk in they tell you it is "for 1000. but I will give it to you for 500." They were also recommended to us by people we met on the ship. They bought from them for years.

2 years a go I bought from them then traded up las year.

Look on trip advisor they have good reviews.

but check at home and get an idea.

Happy shopping

This is the best advice really. The days of getting great deals on jewelry in the Caribbean are long gone. You might find a unique piece that will remind you of your vacation which is fine but don't expect a bargain. You should have a working knowledge of quality/prices before you buy.

As a rule of thumb, jewelry should appraise for about twice its purchase price. This does not in any way mean that you could ever sell it for the appraised price.

I worked in the jewelry industry, both wholesale and retail, for a few years when I was in my late teens and early twenties. Your rule of thumb is a good one. It's basically says, try to pay only about 50% of standard retail price for jewelry. But remember the standard markup on jewelry is HUGE! So even getting it at 50% off you are paying a healthy premium over the wholesale price your jeweler paid for it. Hey, they have to make money also!:) And you are also right if someone wants to sell their jewelry they only get the wholesale price from a jeweler.

BTW, I have traveled to the Caribbean many times over the years and have never ever bought jewelry there. (Even after I lost my last wholesale contact here at home)

Edited by DirtyDawg

If you will be visiting St. Maarten or St. Thomas, I would recommend Balerina Jewelors. I don't think they are on the shopping list thru the cruise line, but we have bought several pieces of fine jewelry from them and it has always appraised for more back in the states.

Barbara

A second vote for Ballerina as well as Shivas in St. Maarten.

We bought fine jewelry and a Tag Heuer watch onboard Oasis. Yes, we could have bought and possibly even saved money if we'd bought at home, but we wanted a keepsake of our trip. We could afford it, we'd saved and budgeted in spending on jewelry, and so we did. But we were too scared to buy in port for the reasons you list. So we bought onboard, a good compromise!

Barbara

A third vote for Ballerina Jewelers --we usually shop in St. Thomas and have been dealing with them since 1996. We usually deal with James, who owns the chain with his wife, Varsha. Their sons are in the business now. His brother manages the Front Street store in St. Maarten -- they also have a beautiful store on the pier. I get lots of compliments about how pretty and unique my pieces are. Have done some good upgrades too -- they have everything on computer. James also knows my taste and issues (heavy earrings and necklaces give me headaches; I like dainty jewelry etc.)

My wife picks up something (or some things) at one of the Effy jewelry stores on the various islands we've been to. I'm comfortable purchasing from them as they also have locations on the mainland; I feel like I can trust them more than a one-guy shop on the islands.

Also, she buys what she likes. I don't care what its "worth" at any given point in time as the next time its sold will be when the kids are liquidating our estate...

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Another vote for Ballerina, both the pier store & one on Front St. Lovely people to deal with, have never purchased anything from them that didn't appraise out higher at home. I had one problem with an earring back, emailed them, & they replaced the earrings (took one email & one registered mail, that's all).

Know your 4Cs if you're looking at diamonds, a little homework on your part does make you a more informed & relaxed shopper. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello - we're heading to a number of Islands via Royal in March and for the first time in my life, I'm putting aside some disposable income to pick up a piece or two of nice jewelry - I've been wearing cheap stuff all my life and this will be a real treat!

But I'm afraid. Afraid of getting caught up in a scam. Being sold something that seems like a great deal, only to get home and learning that it's worth nothing or only a fraction of what I paid for it. Not real gold. Not real gems. This keeps me up at night.

The only other cruise I've been on was with Carnival and they had shopping consultants trying to herd everyone to specific shops to buy specific things, but I lost my trust in them after witnessing a bizarre "watch sale" of cheap crap in which they worked the cruisers into a frenzy. It was a mob scene and those watches were not worth a penny more than the price they were selling them at! I don't think I'd be asking their advice on anything.

I know how to google and I've googled "Jewelry Shopping in the Caribbean" and have learned a few things - but I still have trust issues because anyone can put anything on the internet. I'm more inclined to trust some seasoned travellers who have spent time and have shopped on some of these islands.

Do you have any advice? Or some reassurance? We're stopping at Barbados, PR, St. Martin, St. Croix, Antiqua and St. Lucia. I would put this in the Port section - but I was hoping to generate a talk about Caribbean Jewelry shopping in general. Thanks in advance.

A deal..you won't find one. Buy a piece because you like it, not because it may seem like a deal. There are no real deals anymore. Know your local price of gold per ounce before you leave.

I bought a ring in St Maarten because I loved it. When I go home the value was 1/3 of what I was told it was worth when I bought it.

Did I feel ripped off.. kinda but 4 years later I still wear it daily and I love it!

Ocean Jewelers on Front Street in St Maarten. Love DJ and Bob...been purchasing from them for many many years. No pressure. Honest. That is all I ask and they have been that since day one. My pieces have appraised for more than double. I look for unique when I am shopping and has to catch my eye...these guys have the different items. Not everyone on the ship is going to be wearing the same piece. They design so so many of their own.

Most jewelry tags in Caribbean based stores reflect a 70 - 80% mark-up on standard U.S. prices. We have shopped at Renaissance Jewelers in St Thomas, Kays in St Maarten, and Queens Jewelry in Barbados and gotten great deals. Some jewelry has GIA, EGL & AGS certifications available. Do your homework so you can shop smart.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

I am amazed that people still fall for the line "This is a special price just for you..."

The only safe way to buy jewelry is from a jeweler you know, trust, and who can (and WILL) take care of you after the sale.

I have worked in and managed jewelry stores for 21 years; the retailer who on a regular basis must discount to get your business has priced the merchandise too high.

Not every jewelry store quadruples their cost, then offers deep discounts. I work for a national company that offers a fair price every day, no "haggling" or coupons required. Over the years I have seen some of the so-called bargains from cruisers, and most of the time they aren't worth a bit more than the person paid.

Do your homework, know a range of values, and DOUBLE check the return policy. All that said, there are some pretty pieces available in tourist areas and if it is what you love at a price you are willing to pay, then buy it as a wonderful memento of your vacation. Just don't think you are getting a "special deal". In most ports, there will be 5-20 ships per week with 1000-5000 passengers each. Those shops are counting on your impulse purchase.

Barb

A deal..you won't find one. Buy a piece because you like it, not because it may seem like a deal. There are no real deals anymore. Know your local price of gold per ounce before you leave.

This question pops up regularly on these forums. Bottom line: your only guaranteed saving is the sales tax. A couple of matters to ponder ...

Prices of gold and diamonds are "controlled" ... vendors pay pretty much the same wherever they are. So how could it be that you're getting those bargains in high-end jewelry only in the Caribbean and exclusively at cruise ship ports, no less? Simply put ... gold is gold, diamonds are diamonds, and retail is retail.

Without being too technical, there are several standards by which diamonds are graded, which can significantly alter prices. The "gold standard," if you will, is GIA (Gemological Institute of America). Many Caribbean jewelers use EGL (European Gemological League) or other such bodies ... and some will offer ungraded stones (as in, turn and run).

You really need to read up on all of this ... http://www.bluenile.com is an outstanding site ... and while you're there, look at their prices. They're fair, and do reflect current market conditions. You'll get a great feeling about what to buy (or not buy), and more important gain considerable knowledge from a reliable source. I'd purchase something from them (and I have) before going through the gauntlet of Caribbean, tourist-oriented retailers ... and feel a hell of alot more confident.

There's also considerable confusion about those "appraisals" that come with the purchases ... they're essentially useless, since they're written by the folks who sold you the jewelry. They'll give you this line about your $1000 piece being "appraised" at, say, $3000 ... and even put it in writing. Understand that you are not purchasing it for 1/3 of its value ... if that were the case, every jeweler in the US would be catching the first plane to St. Thomas. And try to file a claim with your insurance carrier if the piece is lost or stolen ... no, they're not going to write you a check for $3000, but will replace the item with something similar. Insurance companies are lots of things ... but stupid isn't one of them. You can insure that gem for $10,000 if you're willing to pay the premium ... but you won't get anything of greater value on your claim.

Now we come to those encyclopedic resources of all things sparkling ... the port and shopping guides. Contrary to popular conception, these folks are self-employed contractors (not cruise line staff) whose income is largely dependent upon sales from those "recommended and guaranteed" merchants, who pay a hefty fee to the cruise line for such status. Most are free to work their own deals with the retailers. If you'd like a bit of insight, there's even a school for these folks ... go go http://www.portshopping.com ... interesting viewing.

There's a reason why Diamonds International (and its spinoffs) are located almost exclusively in Caribbean cruise ship ports ... we've sailed all over Europe, Asia and the Middle East ... didn't spot one! So ... if you come across a piece of jewelry you absolutely must have, and are comfortable paying the price, go for it ... but don't for a moment believe that you got the deal of a lifetime. You'd probably do better at Costco (and you can get your shopping done as well).

Al

Been buying from Kay's in St. Maarten on and off for about 15 years. Have had an item or two appraised back here at home and it appraised higher than I paid. I always deal with same person, she is wife of an owner and she always works with us to get us to what we want to pay. Good Luck!