I think I'm done with the Legacy Airlines

kelmac

I always prefer Jet Blue if they fly to where I am going. I don't live near their hub cities so that can be a problem. When I have flown them I have never had a change and the seats and service have been good.

Southwest gives free drinks (alcohol!) on holidays. Not widely publicized, but true - we flew on Halloween and drinks were free. AND the flight attendants were in costumes (fun!). Plus, they still give peanuts and a snack mix. Lucky to get that even in 1st/business on short hauls on some of the legacy lines these days.

Now, granted, if there's a vast price or schedule/convenience difference, that's not enough to book with them, but also considering the free 2 checked bags and not having to pay a fortune should you need to re-schedule, it's well worth a slightly higher price, to me.

Also, these days, I consider their boarding to be easier and less chaotic than the legacy lines. All those business folks pushing and shoving to get on first for the prime overhead space for their oversized carryons, even though they have assigned seats...no thanks!

Southwest gives free drinks (alcohol!) on holidays. Not widely publicized, but true - we flew on Halloween and drinks were free. AND the flight attendants were in costumes (fun!). Plus, they still give peanuts and a snack mix. Lucky to get that even in 1st/business on short hauls on some of the legacy lines these days.

Now, granted, if there's a vast price or schedule/convenience difference, that's not enough to book with them, but also considering the free 2 checked bags and not having to pay a fortune should you need to re-schedule, it's well worth a slightly higher price, to me.

Also, these days, I consider their boarding to be easier and less chaotic than the legacy lines. All those business folks pushing and shoving to get on first for the prime overhead space for their oversized carryons, even though they have assigned seats...no thanks!

Boy, isn't that the truth! This is where the "Early Bird" seating comes in handy. Since WN went to those boarding poles, I think their process is not only efficient, but a huge improvement over assigned seats. The only new issue is the guy who buys Early Bird and then tries to save seats for three other people. :eek:

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Just the tone of the Cruise Air forum at its finest shining through.:D Don't be offended.

+1 to your comment. Call them whatever you want, but MDW, DEN and DAL are "hubs" for WN (or is it SW?!?!?).

Oh calm down, I am usually one of the most polite regular contributors here. That was meant to educate not criticize. Ask Southwest and they say they have no hubs, so don't chastise me for stating their official policy.

Oh calm down, I am usually one of the most polite regular contributors here. That was meant to educate not criticize. Ask Southwest and they say they have no hubs, so don't chastise me for stating their official policy.

I am calm as can be :D. As was said, call them whatever one wants. Please post a link to their official policy that you talk about. Thanks.

Edited by frugaltravel

I am calm as can be :D. As was said, call them whatever one wants. Please post a link to their official policy that you talk about. Thanks.

Southwest uses a point to point system; they don't have a hub system

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayinthesky/2013/05/08/southwest-de-hubbing-atlanta-adds-more-airtran-cities/2144017/

Edited by 6rugrats

I refer back to April7901's post:

Fine.

Airport of substantial size with comparably larger number of direct flights departing and arriving on a daily basis that few, if any, other cities serviced by Southwest could compete with.

Or, a hub city, as defined by any other airline on the planet.

WN having 16 of 20 gates at DAL and even a higher percentage of flights from there, call it what you will.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/airline-industry/20140825-southwest-airlines-well-see-how-many-love-field-flights-we-can-operate.ece

Chicago Midway is a similar example. It is Southwest's largest "focus city" if you don't want to call it a "hub" :). Southwest has 34 of the 43 gates and 250 daily departures from there.

OK, let's just call it a "concentration of flights from one single airport." Sounds just fine to me :rolleyes:

A hub system means a flight goes to a central location before traveling onto a destination. Because an airline has the majority of gates at an airport doesn't mean it's operating on a hub system model. Southwest doesn't force routes through DAL.

Edited by 6rugrats

A hub system means a flight goes to a central location before traveling onto a destination. Because an airline has the majority of gates at an airport doesn't mean it's operating on a hub system model. Southwest doesn't force routes through DAL.

Now THAT is funny. Do you realize what you just said (obviously you don't and I am not going to clarify it for you)? Thanks for proving my point :D:D

Edited by frugaltravel

I always prefer Jet Blue if they fly to where I am going. I don't live near their hub cities so that can be a problem. When I have flown them I have never had a change and the seats and service have been good.

I heard on the radio yesterday that they have thrown in the towel on extra legroom and free checked bags.:( I used to love flying out of LGB on them, but their prices went up to the point that we went back to flying AA most of the time because that's where our status is and every little perk helps make the experience less painful.

Now THAT is funny. Do you realize what you just said (obviously you don't and I am not going to clarify it for you)? Thanks for proving my point :D:D

How is this funny? Your point is not proven; you are wrong and 6rugrats is right. Here is a clear explanation of the difference between the two:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-networker/2010/12/the-difference-hub-and-spoke-vs-point-to-point/

This should help you to understand why Southwest does not fly using the hub system.

Edited by grandma*knows*best

How is this funny? Your point is not proven; you are wrong and 6rugrats is right. Here is a clear explanation of the difference between the two:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-networker/2010/12/the-difference-hub-and-spoke-vs-point-to-point/

This should help you to understand why Southwest does not fly using the hub system.

WN does not "officially" use a hub system, but there are a handful of cities they fly to that, due to the large number of point-to-point flights in and out, effectively serve as de facto hubs. ;)

I heard on the radio yesterday that they (Jetblue) have thrown in the towel on extra legroom and free checked bags.:( I used to love flying out of LGB on them, but their prices went up to the point that we went back to flying AA most of the time because that's where our status is and every little perk helps make the experience less painful.

I saw that also. It's a shame in my opinion. I'm a bigger sized guy with mobility issues so I always get the extra room seats anyway. I hope that they don't mess with them. And it was so convenient with the checked bag rule to just fly up to JFK to go overseas. I guess it's true that nothing is for certain other than death and taxes.

Interesting blog about Southwest's shifting model:

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2014/04/02/as-southwest-goes-mainstream-will-direct-flights-go-extinct/

Southwest Chief Executive Gary Kelly said in an interview that although the airline has adjusted its schedules “just a little bit” to better allow for connections, “we are still a point-to-point airline.” He said more than 70% of Southwest’s customers still fly nonstop – far more than its bigger rivals – compared to about 80% of customers when he started as CEO in 2004

The changes at JetBlue have been rumored in the business and financial press for about the past year. The CEO stood behind the extra amenities while shareholders knew there was more revenue available. The CEO's contract ends in February and his successor has a track record of monetizing everything...so guess what happened...

I can't wait until Southwest stats charging for bags/change fees/and all the other little things the others do. They are leaving so much money on the table by not doing it, it is only a matter of time before the share holders demand more profit and I am looking forward to all the members of the cult of southwest having their heads explode and the whining that will follow.

I don't love any airline. I stick with UA because that's where I have status and miles. Just finished a 36 hour mileage run with them.

What did you mean by this 6rugrats ? Is it "A trip designed solely to get you the most

amount of miles with an airline as opposed to transporting you from point A to B quickly"?

Edited by richstowe

What did you mean by this 6rugrats ? Is it "A trip designed solely to get you the most

amount of miles with an airline as opposed to transporting you from point A to B quickly"?

A trip you take solely for earning the most number of miles for the least $$ to maintain frequent flyer status.

A trip you take solely for earning the most number of miles for the least $$ to maintain frequent flyer status.
Since posting I've been discovering the world of mileage runs, top-tier status ,open -jaw and

others terms courtesy of Flyertalk . All I can say is my head is spinning . A whole new world .:eek:

Since posting I've been discovering the world of mileage runs, top-tier status ,open -jaw and

others terms courtesy of Flyertalk . All I can say is my head is spinning . A whole new world .:eek:

And just when you think you've figured it out, the airlines change the rules, and you start over again!

Yes, next year a mileage run will not help maintain your status with United as they are going to dollar based ff elite levels.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The are doing it already this year. The only difference is they are upping the PQD amount. ($3000 vs $2500 to get Silver for example.) Not really that big of a deal. They are just upping the cpm from $.10 to $.12 (which is not really that much when you consider that E+ that you can buy count towards the PQD total)

Yes, next year a mileage run will not help maintain your status with United as they are going to dollar based ff elite levels.

Yes, they've started doing the spend requirement this year, but you got a waiver if you spent enough using one of their credit cards. Not so next year. I have no business travel and usually fly on the cheapest fares, so next year will probably be my last with FF status.