I think I'm done with the Legacy Airlines

kelmac

Yes, they've started doing the spend requirement this year, but you got a waiver if you spent enough using one of their credit cards. Not so next year. I have no business travel and usually fly on the cheapest fares, so next year will probably be my last with FF status.

Did same -- so that I could get over the 100K amount.

OK with PQD as have 12K. Just like you -- UA is my airline of choice only because of the status and the miles already invested.

Don't know if you have any status with Marriott -- but since there link there is reciprocal status in both.

Edited by PaulMCO

Regarding Future Mileage Runs (as many miles as you can get for the lowest ticket prices) -- You won't even get many award miles. In March 2015 (at least for Delta and United) the amount of $ you spend for a trip combined with your status level will give you the amount of award miles you will accrue. Now you get award miles at least equaling the actual number of miles you flew, that will NOT be the case in the future.

For Example: If I spend $700 for a trip to Hawaii now I accrue 12,404 award miles for a round trip (basic seat-in-seat miles + Silver bonus). Miles that I can use for travel and other awards. However, beginning March, that same $700 will be multiplied by 7 for Silver Status which gives me a total of 4900 award miles ---less than half the number of award miles I get now for that same trip. My Husband is Gold so his multiplier will be 9 giving him a total of 6300 points in comparison to the 14,886 (basic miles + gold bonus) points he now gets for a round trip to Hawaii. What at change! It is going to take a LOT longer to get enough points to use for travel awards just by flying.

(However to maintain Silver Status I still have to have at least 25,000 seat-in-the-seat miles, as well as meet the minimum spend of $2,500 this year and $3,000 next year.)

Regarding Future Mileage Runs (as many miles as you can get for the lowest ticket prices) -- You won't even get many award miles. In March 2015 (at least for Delta and United) the amount of $ you spend for a trip combined with your status level will give you the amount of award miles you will accrue. Now you get award miles at least equaling the actual number of miles you flew, that will NOT be the case in the future.

Not sure where you get your info from, but at least for Delta, the new system starts January 1st not in March. My guess is that it will start in January for United too, but I am not sure.

You might be confusing the elite status year (which ends February 2015) with the mileage-earning year (which start January 1, 2015).

I can't wait until Southwest stats charging for bags/change fees/and all the other little things the others do. They are leaving so much money on the table by not doing it, it is only a matter of time before the share holders demand more profit

Earlier this year their CFO commented at an investor conference, "We do not want to be known as the 'Bags Fly Free' airline". Smoke signals there....

That's going to really limit your flying options. Keep checking the seating chart. People will cancel/upgrade/move seats and you may be able to find something better.

I don't love any airline. I stick with UA because that's where I have status and miles. Just finished a 36 hour mileage run with them, and I was on some of the dumpiest, rundown planes ever. On one flight, there were three broken seats in F, including mine. I ended up with quite a large voucher, and an acceptable seat, but this is par for the course. No airline is great; I just see flights as something to get through to get where I'm going.

Thanks again 6rugrats,

As always, sometimes you call at the right time and talk to the right person, and things get better. Last evening it happened, and the agent was able to find seats for us leaving out of MIA at a later time, that meshes with our connecting flight out of ATL (drops our five hour layover to one hour five minutes). I took 2 1/2 weeks, but I fixed the issue.:)

I do like Delta's new system of knowing who you are, what your flights are, as soon as you get an agent on the phone. No need to give them dates, flight numbers, Reservation numbers…., They have everything keyed in based on your phone number. Very nice.

Enjoy!

Kel

I feel like they've been saying that for 3 years now...and still, free bags.

It started as their fuel hedges started to expire. I'd guess that if crude was $95/bbl today, no free bags. At $67/bbl, they can continue to wait-and-see.

I found a very good solution to all these problems you mention.

I will not fly a US Flag Airline.

My favorites are Emirates, ANA, Singapore, and Lufthansa - but all in Business or First Class.

Very quick check-in with no waiting.

No baggage fees or limits.

ALWAYS free drinks (and very good quality ones).

Great meals.

Great entertainment.

Air hostesses under 100 years of age - who actually enjoy their jobs.

Nice lounges before and after flights.

A380 airplanes on long hauls. (Changed my life)

High speed internet connection at your seat.

The best parts of any trip for me are the flights there and back.

I found a very good solution to all these problems you mention.

I will not fly a US Flag Airline.

My favorites are Emirates, ANA, Singapore, and Lufthansa - but all in Business or First Class.

Very quick check-in with no waiting.

No baggage fees or limits.

ALWAYS free drinks (and very good quality ones).

Great meals.

Great entertainment.

Air hostesses under 100 years of age - who actually enjoy their jobs.

Nice lounges before and after flights.

A380 airplanes on long hauls. (Changed my life)

High speed internet connection at your seat.

The best parts of any trip for me are the flights there and back.

Not flying a US based airline is great, unless you are actually trying to take a trip within the US, LOL. Kind of tough to get from FLL to LAX via Emirates or ANA. :D

And many of the benefits you mention above are not unique to the airlines you mentioned. You can fly other airlines in international business class or first and get much of the same.

Not flying a US based airline is great, unless you are actually trying to take a trip within the US, LOL. Kind of tough to get from FLL to LAX via Emirates or ANA.

Not really.....just fly from MIA to DXB on one ticket, then buy another from DXB to LAX. :D

Of course, you will be spending a LOT more....of both time and RMB/Euros.

But then, for some, that doesn't matter.

Not really.....just fly from MIA to DXB on one ticket, then buy another from DXB to LAX. :D

Of course, you will be spending a LOT more....of both time and RMB/Euros.

But then, for some, that doesn't matter.

Post of the day!!!!! Love it!!!:D

I'll have to remember to do my flights this way the next time I want to go to a big-ticket dinner in the Bay Area (French Laundry anyone?) ;)

Ah, so it was the price. Maybe I'm jaded but I don't see $1400 as moderately remarkable for luggage costs.

You can spend about $20,000 on a bespoke Henk case.

I make a good living and travel a lot...but the hell if I'll ever spend anywhere near that much on a damn suitcase. No thanks.