Golden Princess Drydock Schedule 2015

LastUsernameEver

after drydock for sure

I'm on the 10 day right before the dry dock.......coming home on April 16th. Due to work schedules the next time I can cruise won't be until December and I'm on the 14 day Pacific Princess on 12/3.

I like the Golden and have been on her many times. I'm sure she won't be as "sparkly" but, heck, how bad can she be? :

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I too am on that sailing. As long as things are clean and work, I'm good with that for this kind of Spring cruise.

Historically there have been some complaints on the forum about work starting onboard ships before the last cruise is finished. Access to some facilities was curtailed.

I don't have enough details to know if those were major or minor drydocks. I suspect with only a two week drydock it's a minor one. Though I don't know if that makes any difference as to the likelihood of work starting early.

Hoping it doesn't happen on ours. Fingers crossed.

This is good news. We spent 21 days on the Golden in October and there are a number of problems that need fixing. She's still a great ship but can use a bit of tender loving care. We'll be back on her June 1, so this is good timing for us.

I just boarded the Golden 2 hours ago. The steward says the Golden will go into drydock from April 17 thru May 2nd.

I'm not sure if this is new info...but, I thought I'd post it in case anyone's curious.

I had a waiter tell me it was happening in March. I think an official announcement would be more accurate.

I too am on that sailing. As long as things are clean and work, I'm good with that for this kind of Spring cruise.

Historically there have been some complaints on the forum about work starting onboard ships before the last cruise is finished. Access to some facilities was curtailed.

I don't have enough details to know if those were major or minor drydocks. I suspect with only a two week drydock it's a minor one. Though I don't know if that makes any difference as to the likelihood of work starting early.

By the time I get to my cruise.....I'm so ready for it that if anything or anybody got in my way I'd feel very sorry for them....I cruise every 6 to 8 months twice a year and my last one was in September. By the time this one comes along......I will be ready to completely unwind!!!!! If I hear any knocking on the walls or floors or pulling up of carpets so that I can't completely enjoy my experience someone's going to be very unhappy and I can promise you, it won't be me!!!! :rolleyes:

I remember getting off the Diamond once and they were starting to rip up carpeting in the lounges......it was the day we were leaving and I could have cared less. I didn't even notice that the carpeting needed to be replaced. This is a very good sign!!! :p

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I had a waiter tell me it was happening in March. I think an official announcement would be more accurate.

Just check the Princess site. There are no cruises scheduled in April after she returns from Mexico on April 16th. All of March is scheduled.

• 2 weeks later...
This is good news. We spent 21 days on the Golden in October and there are a number of problems that need fixing. She's still a great ship but can use a bit of tender loving care. We'll be back on her June 1, so this is good timing for us.

Hey catusrose...come join our Roll Call!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44855947#post44855947

Is it better to be the last cruise before dry dock or the first after dry dock?
I wouldn't worry since its a relatively short, routine dry dock and nothing major is being done. Other than deep cleaning and repairs in public places, the work will be mundane: scrape and paint the hull, clean the thrusters, check the engines and stabilizers, etc.

I'm on the 10 day right before the dry dock.......coming home on April 16th. Due to work schedules the next time I can cruise won't be until December and I'm on the 14 day Pacific Princess on 12/3.

I like the Golden and have been on her many times. I'm sure she won't be as "sparkly" but, heck, how bad can she be? :

I had the same thought since we're all on the same cruise. I'm not the type of person to be bothered by little details that make some people say "that ship was in terrible shape!". The only thing that bothers me is when they block off part of the ship to get an early start on dry dock. I have had that happen and it's not a good thing.

• 4 months later...

I'm a frequent cruiser, I spend a lot of money on cruising and I have NEVER been so disappointed by a cruise than I was onboard the Golden Princess from April 6th to April 16th.

I've been onboard the Golden before and loved her......NOT THIS TIME!

There were leaks, squeaks, wreaks of smell, railings that felt like sand paper, rust and if it were not for the amazing crew who tried to make-up for all the failings of the ship......it would have truly been a BUST!!!!

I'm very busy at work and will write more later but I had to share my thoughts while they were still fresh in my mind......it will take a very long time for me to forget the frailties of this cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

I visited the Golden Princess as she was in San Francisco for the start of her Alaska Season. I talked to some of the passengers that had just gotten off and found that they are probably not aware of Cruise Critic because I asked about the changes from the dry dock nobody was aware that they had made any changes. One lady when I asked about the Horizon Buffet claimed that she never went there. Here's some photos that I took. I'll post more after I take the BVE on May 22nd when she returns from Alaska.

DSC_0794_zpsigl6yjqh.jpg

DSC_0791_zpsaaqkwi2r.jpg

DSC_0799_zpseqtiuup7.jpg

Above are my photos from today.

image.jpg2_zpshue3aajk.jpg

image.jpg18_zpsmm19jmxb.jpg

image.jpg14_zpsp4wuodxr.jpg

These images are from the Golden's dry dock last month in San Francisco. Note at the top deck where it's all torn up. with the yellow crane.

Tom

Off the Golden this morning. Horizon Court is more functional with the renovations. All new carpeting, tiles, chairs, woodwork make the space appear larger and brighter. Flow is a lot better. A lot of new carpeting on public spaces decks 5,6 and 7. Pool decks have new indoor/outdoor flooring. Our cabin was on Caribe, sad condition. Soiled carpets, stains on upholstery, headboard and lamp shades, paint chips on outdoor area, glass filthy. The majority of glass on the upper decks was in dire need of a clean. No taking photos thru the windows up in Skywalkers. Major plumbing issues in the staterooms on the rear of the ship. Passengers requested to use public restrooms until repaired (according to dining companions in an aft suite with issues). The ship did have a sewer odor to it in many spaces.

Small outbreak of Noro onboard. Passengers where quarantined with delayed disembarkation in SFO.

We were on this ship the beginning of April and the outdoor spaces appeared in better condition. Was hoping the condition was due to catching up after dry dock and the ongoing work.

I got off Golden this morning as well. Agree Horizon Court was amazing, nice and bright and flow really good. I was in a balcony C739, second from the aft and had no plumbing problems and did not smell any foul odors. I thought my cabin and surrounding areas were fine, I didn't notice any stains or tatters--it's not a brand new ship. I think considering its age, she's in excellent condition.

Off the Golden this morning. Horizon Court is more functional with the renovations. All new carpeting, tiles, chairs, woodwork make the space appear larger and brighter. Flow is a lot better. A lot of new carpeting on public spaces decks 5,6 and 7. Pool decks have new indoor/outdoor flooring. Our cabin was on Caribe, sad condition. Soiled carpets, stains on upholstery, headboard and lamp shades, paint chips on outdoor area, glass filthy. The majority of glass on the upper decks was in dire need of a clean. No taking photos thru the windows up in Skywalkers. Major plumbing issues in the staterooms on the rear of the ship. Passengers requested to use public restrooms until repaired (according to dining companions in an aft suite with issues). The ship did have a sewer odor to it in many spaces.

Small outbreak of Noro onboard. Passengers where quarantined with delayed disembarkation in SFO.

We were on this ship the beginning of April and the outdoor spaces appeared in better condition. Was hoping the condition was due to catching up after dry dock and the ongoing work.

Wow. :eek: So much for a dry dock! Cabin condition totally unacceptable!!!