12/8/14 Amsterdam - oh dear

Linda&Vern

You should definitely go see Henk (Hotel Manager) or Krystal (Guest Relations). They are both very reasonable people and I bet they will take care of you. I heard that the ship is full for the next cruise, so they may have limited options for offering cabins. You really should get upgraded to a higher category. Good Luck.

According to family members that are on board, Henk and Christel left the ship along with apparently 100+ crew members. I wouldn't count on anything from them unless they can assist from the air...

Something similar happened to us a number of years ago in San Diego. We arrived at the hotel with a reservation/reservation number. Two kids in tow.

Hotel realized our reservation was valid. No room. The concierge, a wonderful woman, jumped in and took care of us. She had all of our bags taken in and stored. She told us we would have a room later in the day. She took us aside and told us where to tour with the children for a day. We came back at 4PM. Walked in, front desk handed us our key. Upgraded to a penthouse suite and provided with complementary breakfast buffet tickets for the length of our stay.

We never had to ask. But the hotel was run by a professional hospitality group who understood what customer service meant and instilled this in their staff.

The only downside....from that day on my daughter knew what an 'upgrade' was and always pestered us for it. She still mentions the chandelier in the dining room of that suite since it was the first thing she saw on entering.

Now, how did the HAL team do?????

Edited by iancal

I would be really hacked off with someone refusing to move out of a cabin which they knew they only booked for a certain amount of time. :mad:

I, for sure would have knocked on these peoples' door to have a conversation about how they messed up someone else's cruise.

Hopefully the OP gets a nice upgrade.

And thankfully there are enough cruise critics on this board to help along with advice who to contact whilst on board.

I have made dummy bookings on our upcoming cruise as we are also part of a second leg cruise and hopefully this won't happen to us. But if it does, at least I know what to do and who to speak to.

But believe me, if I would find out that people refused to leave "our cabin", we would cause more problems to the front desk than the people who refused to leave the cabin.

Unless they upgraded us.

Outrageous.

I would be really hacked off with someone refusing to move out of a cabin which they knew they only booked for a certain amount of time. :mad:

I, for sure would have knocked on these peoples' door to have a conversation about how they messed up someone else's cruise.

I'd be suspicious of any claim by onboard staff that they "refused" to move. It's very possible that when the passengers approached reception inquiring about staying on, they were told, "We do have availability and would love to have you continue on with us (and continue your onboard spending)! You'd like not to have to move? No problem! All part of our Signature of Excellence Service!". All the while knowing there was a change of crew coming and someone else would have to deal with the fallout.

I'm convinced the onboard staff is solely to blame here, for both creating the problem and being too unorganized and uncaring to fix it. The continuing passengers most likely have no clue and are just going with what they've been told.

We were recently on a Regent cruise, and asked on the first day about upgrading. We were told that moving cabins is not a problem; they have a system whereby the staff takes out all the drawers, and switches them and the whole closet out in one fell swoop. "Takes about 15 minutes, we do it all for you!". Surely HAL has a similar system. Also, a couple decided to extend their cruise by booking the next 30-day segment while on board and said, "But we won't be in the same cabin, of course."

I'd be suspicious of any claim by onboard staff that they "refused" to move. It's very possible that when the passengers approached reception inquiring about staying on, they were told, "We do have availability and would love to have you continue on with us (and continue your onboard spending)! You'd like not to have to move? No problem! All part of our Signature of Excellence Service!". All the while knowing there was a change of crew coming and someone else would have to deal with the fallout.

I'm convinced the onboard staff is solely to blame here, for both creating the problem and being too unorganized and uncaring to fix it. The continuing passengers most likely have no clue and are just going with what they've been told.

We were recently on a Regent cruise, and asked on the first day about upgrading. We were told that moving cabins is not a problem; they have a system whereby the staff takes out all the drawers, and switches them and the whole closet out in one fell swoop. "Takes about 15 minutes, we do it all for you!". Surely HAL has a similar system. Also, a couple decided to extend their cruise by booking the next 30-day segment while on board and said, "But we won't be in the same cabin, of course."

Excellent post.

I agree with you. I would not storm their cabin and hold them hostage but I would certainly explain my situation and find out whether it was their fault or Holland America's fault.

As someone mentioned HAL covers their back in their contract to be able to move anyone to a different cabin. But seriously? Any 3 star hotel makes more effort to please customers.

Again I hope the OP comes back and surprises us with good news. :)

I admire how you express yourself with tact & class. If it were me in your shoes I'm afraid instead of Oh Dear! I would be saying Oh... something else!

I was thinking the same thing. Kudos to the op. I would be livid if this happened to me.

The fact that Linda and Vern were changed to another cabin without consulting them or notifying them is horrible enough, but the fact that oxygen and a frig for meds had been ordered for the original cabin should have been a red flag that there are medical considerations. Causing distress to someone with a medical condition could be tragic. IMO the op should have received a red carpet, white glove reception and some nice comps offered without having to get ugly. It sounds like HAL is saving the best managerial staff for the WC. HAL might think of investing in some hospitality courses for all or some of their employees. Professionals in the hospitality industry? Not in this case.

Arriving at a port and boarding a ship is one of my favorite things. I love the excitement and anticipation of what the days ahead will be like. Shame on HAL for this type of customer service. I'm sure op will have a fabulous cruise because of what others have mentioned about her tact and class in dealing with the situation. Cherie

Read Jeff's blog. Whole new crew. He said it seems like a different ship.

Terri

I suspect many of the managerial crew have the four weeks off until the World Cruise begins in January. We have been on this December Panama Canal transit several times and at least twice the Cruise Director was a substitute while the regular CD was on vacation until the World Cruise.

The fact that Linda and Vern were changed to another cabin without consulting them or notifying them is horrible enough, but the fact that oxygen and a frig for meds had been ordered for the original cabin should have been a red flag that there are medical considerations. Causing distress to someone with a medical condition could be tragic. IMO the op should have received a red carpet, white glove reception and some nice comps offered without having to get ugly. It sounds like HAL is saving the best managerial staff for the WC. HAL might think of investing in some hospitality courses for all or some of their employees. Professionals in the hospitality industry? Not in this case.

Arriving at a port and boarding a ship is one of my favorite things. I love the excitement and anticipation of what the days ahead will be like. Shame on HAL for this type of customer service. I'm sure op will have a fabulous cruise because of what others have mentioned about her tact and class in dealing with the situation. Cherie

This is excellent! Thanks for the post.

When HAL drops the ball, they seem to it so astoundingly badly.

I would ask for a meeting with him..

right away. Name is Henk, don't

remember last name.

Tell him everything that went on and still

is. They need to do something about this.

They need to tell you a "big sorry" and

give you an upgrade or something.

You haven't written today, hope everything is

better for you two. Hope you can enjoy your cruise.

I would ask for a meeting with him..

right away. Name is Henk, don't

remember last name.

Tell him everything that went on and still

is. They need to do something about this.

They need to tell you a "big sorry" and

give you an upgrade or something.

You haven't written today, hope everything is

better for you two. Hope you can enjoy your cruise.

It was posted above that Henk and Crystal went home from San Diego.

According to family members that are on board, Henk and Christel left the ship along with apparently 100+ crew members. I wouldn't count on anything from them unless they can assist from the air...

That is quite a turn over.

Not sure if I would want to be on a cruise with so many crew having left. But then again, guess I would not know how many crew leave when we get on any cruise. Maybe it has happened to us and just never knew.

From my perspective it does not matter who is to blame.

The issue is it happened, and HAL's response was zero.

It's enough to have us looking into RCCL .... without it's "Signature of Excellence" type treatment there's not much difference. .... just sayin':(

It was posted above that Henk and Crystal went home from San Diego.

And most likely the Hotel Director that replaced Henk had no idea what transpired! I am sure that a lot of stuff falls through the cracks when the Hotel Director and Guest Relations Manager leave together after making a call like allowing a previous cruise guest to stay in their cabin in the first place!

I'm watching a cold sprinkle outside. I would sacrifice...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We've had a wild, flooding Nor'easter all day. It is raw and nasty and my area already got 3.25" of rain in about 14 hours. I would not rather be on a ship being treated unprofessionally and with little or lack luster interest.

Brief update. Vern wore shorts to dinner. He assured the DRM he knew the dress code, but HAL didn't know how to find luggage.

By 8:30pm all was found and unpacked and new cabin organized. Phone rang ... voice says "the guests have vacated your original room - you may move now." You can probably guess DH's reply.

We are putting yesterday behind us and trying to smile going forward. Two more messages today that we could move. As of a few minutes ago the other occupants moved back in.

In reply to my "I need help" messages - our PCC is shocked and promises he is looking into why no one helped us. On the other hand, HAL Seattle Guest Relations e:mailed to us our booking contract showing our originally booked cabin number!

The crew is mixed. New crew friendly - leftover crew look tired and worn out. Passengers from Grand Trip look dazed and worn out. I hope this is not any passengers first cruise. 9:00 last night - there were not more than a dozen people in the bars or clubs combined.

Will post more after the cruise. I do want to mention that our October Veendam cruise from FLL to San Diego was fabulous! Now there is a happy ship with happy crew and passengers. Okay - it has an ugly butt. I can forgive that!