Norwegian Announces 2016 / 2017 Itineraries

seacruise9

I can't believe that NCL is not going to break the monotony and give Boston a new cruise ship. The Dawn is fine but after 3 cruises on it and another one coming up next fall, it is getting boring. I will definitely be looking for a different ship my next booking even if I go to another cruise line. I don't even desire one of the big new ships, I just want a change. Big disappointment NCL. At least bring the Spirit back. She was a great ship.

My thoughts exactly! I am so disappointed that the Dawn in remaining in Boston. I guess I'll have to jump over to Holland America out of Boston for something different.

Some interesting itineraries, but more or less same procedure as every year... :rolleyes:

Dear NCL, please develop some new itineraries... because RCI, Celebrity, Princess etc do so!!!

I totally agree with you. :)

Given the new ships NCL is taking delivery of within that time span I was hoping for some place new or some globe-trotting with their older ships, maybe a new market like Asia or Australia. Asia makes sense because they have an Asian-inspired ship (Norwegian Spirit) and the logistics in place (because Star Cruises is owned by Genting Hong Kong which is part owner of NCL). The Caribbean market is saturated with ships and it’s starting to show. The winter fares are plummeting, which is good if you want to sail to the same islands all the time but if you want to go someplace new then you have to go to another cruise line.

I can't believe that NCL is not going to break the monotony and give Boston a new cruise ship. The Dawn is fine but after 3 cruises on it and another one coming up next fall, it is getting boring. I will definitely be looking for a different ship my next booking even if I go to another cruise line. I don't even desire one of the big new ships, I just want a change. Big disappointment NCL. At least bring the Spirit back. She was a great ship.

I Have to look at H.A.L. Boston to Hamilton for Next year .

I don't think will be my cup o' tea .

But we have sailed over 100 days on the Dawn .

Why can't we get the Gem and send the Dawn to a new market ???

Edited by biker@sea

I Have to look at H.A.L. Boston to Hamilton for Next year .

I don't think will be my cup o' tea .

But we have sailed over 100 days on the Dawn .

Why can't we get the Gem and send the Dawn to a new market ???

Wow! I just looked up HAL’s itinerary to BDA from Boston. It’s longer in port and it goes to Hamilton which means when the ship rolls up the carpets at 10PM, you can go shore-side and have a good time! Thanks Biker!!! :D

I totally agree with you. :)

Given the new ships NCL is taking delivery of within that time span I was hoping for some place new or some globe-trotting with their older ships, maybe a new market like Asia or Australia.

That's one point that NCL visits, compared to other cruise lines, relatively less destinations.

Asia and Australia are growing in fact, but NCL does not deploy any ship there - at least, they plan to head back to South America.

Take Celebrity, for example: compared to other major cruise lines, they have a relatively "small" fleet - but they offer so many destinations.

Alaska; Caribbean; Med/Northern Europe/TA; Bermuda; Canada/NE; Australia/NZ; Asia; South America; Glapasgaos; South Pacific/Hawaii; Panama Canal, and soon Middle East as well... and nearly every year new itineraries are created.

And NCL? Only the Americas and Europe...

But second point are IMHO the itineraries itself. Yeah, some are quite apealing (Panama Canal, South America; Norway/North Cape), but mostly those are standardized 7 nighters, seldom "beyond the ordinary".

As RCI being biggest competitor, just have a look at their deployments and itineraries!!

An example is the Canada/NE deployment: NCL: common 7 nighters (Dawn and Gem), RCI: 7 nighters (Brilliance), 8 and 9 nighters (Liberty and Grandeur) and AWESOME 10-14 night itineraries on Serenade!

And I think this example you can relate to many itineraries, also compared to other cruise lines.

So sadly, IMHO there is some time for innovation, regarding NCL's deployment...

Edited by celebrity_fan

Only a few minor tweaks, nothing to get excited about. I also was hoping for the Gem to go to Boston in the summer, that's not happening. Think I will do the Celebrity Summit out of NY instead to Bermuda, might go back to back with the Gem trip to Canada/New England. Nice way to spend 2 weeks....wish San Franciso was in the mix. The Pearl is starting a Panama Canal cruise from their next year but in 2016.

The fact that very few people are talking about the new itineraries really highlights how disappointed everyone is about the new itineraries. Is NCL going to miss the boat when they decide to expand to Asia and Australia. How many Caribbean cruises can NCL do? Only time will tell.

Edited by jmele999

I am thrilled with the San Juan cruises and also the longer Spirit cruises. I have been hoping for a long time that NCL would use Spirit for longer, more exotic cruises! There seem to be many options to combine as a back-to-back as well.

I'm Lukewarm on NCLs press release. Like several other posters, I was hoping for new location itineraries like Asia. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for new ports like San Juan and Orlando, but its really just squeezing more ships into the same space.

The fact that very few people are talking about the new itineraries really highlights how disappointed everyone is about the new itineraries.

Being disappointed and getting excited are two very different things and not being one doesn't imply another.

There were no big surprises on the announcement (many changes like placements of Jade and Spirit were already announced earlier), but that doesn't automatically mean that people who don't comment would be disappointed.

There are some really nice European itineraries (f.ex. the one during the summer solstice) and while that is irrelevant for us (transatlantic flights are long enough as it is so having to transfer to USVI just takes too long), I understand that many people are happy to see NCL returning to San Juan.

What comes to SE Asia and Oceania areas, trying to rationalize that NCL should go there when several cruise lines from RCCL group (RCI, Celebrity, Azamara, etc) that is three times bigger in revenue isn't quite comparable. Same goes for the seven times bigger Carnival group. The big players just have the advantage of numbers in logistics etc over significantly smaller NCL.

The fact that very few people are talking about the new itineraries really highlights how disappointed everyone is about the new itineraries. Is NCL going to miss the boat when they decide to expand to Asia and Australia. How many Caribbean cruises can NCL do? Only time will tell.

I can't speak for everyone that not commenting because they probably have better valid reasons than me for not being excited / disappointed regarding the port stops but in my case I don't care about the iternary because the ship (s) is the destination for me. Royal and especially NCL are like the only 2 cruises lines to me where I care more about the dates I'm going than the actual stops because the ship(s) are that good and wonderful. Especially here in New York where I don't want to fly to go cruising, so whatever is available is good enough for me. *shrug*

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I for one am thrilled about the Gem heading to a seasonal home port at PR. DW and I will be sure to book on her. Perhaps the reason that few people are posting on here in favor of the new itineraries is that many of us are on a ship (or don't know about them yet)?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can't speak for everyone that not commenting because they probably have better valid reasons than me for not being excited / disappointed regarding the port stops but in my case I don't care about the iternary because the ship (s) is the destination for me. Royal and especially NCL are like the only 2 cruises lines to me where I care more about the dates I'm going than the actual stops because the ship(s) are that good and wonderful. Especially here in New York where I don't want to fly to go cruising, so whatever is available is good enough for me. *shrug*

I feel the same as you.

It is all about what ships leave from NYC / NJ and the long cruises 11 or more days. I am disappointed they are only doing 10 day cruises out of NYC.

That being said, what ship will replace the GEM in NYC when it heads for PR?

We love NCL and would hate to have to cruise on RCI! :)

Don

Edited by dongordon

I feel the same as you.

It is all about what ships leave from NYC / NJ and the long cruises 11 or more days. I am disappointed they are only doing 10 day cruises out of NYC.

Don

No ship is replacing the Gem when she repositions to San Juan. The full deployment was released.

I feel the same as you.

Don

Quick question and please do not think there is mal intent here; do many people from the East coast of USA, cruise from ports that are not on the East coast? It just seems kind of strange to me that people are unhappy with the ship that is in a certain port; i.e. NYC, Boston. One can always go to a different port to cruise on a different ship........and have a totally different vacation experience. :)

I live where we have to fly to get to any cruise so the ship, itself, seems mute. :D

I really like the new itineraries on NCL this year; it offers, to me , quite of bit of variety.

Happy and safe cruising all!!!

Quick question and please do not think there is mal intent here; do many people from the East coast of USA, cruise from ports that are not on the East coast? It just seems kind of strange to me that people are unhappy with the ship that is in a certain port; i.e. NYC, Boston. One can always go to a different port to cruise on a different ship........and have a totally different vacation experience. :)

I live where we have to fly to get to any cruise so the ship, itself, seems mute. :D

I really like the new itineraries on NCL this year; it offers, to me , quite of bit of variety.

CLB.....

I think I can speak for other New Yorkers and East Coast cruisers who love to cruise out of a port were you can drive to the port without having to fly with all the luggage restrictions and security checks which can be a pain.

There is nothing like leaving your home and eating lunch onboard your ship an hour and a half later! :D

My next cruise coming up in a few weeks is out of LA for a special Panama Canal cruise which offers a unique experience.

We will be leaving at 4:30 AM and getting to the ship will not be any picinic, but you do not go though the Canal too often in a lifetime (at least we won't)

I love cruising and IMHO, going to any warm weather site in the winter is a real escape for me. :)

Happy Cruising!

Don

I hate to fly. That is all :) Living in Maine, it takes all day to get anywhere and to get home. It adds two days to the vacation, a hotel the night before, meals, etc. By the time you get home, you are stressed and it feels like you never had a vacation.

In my case its all about math - pay about $700 in airfare, hotel, and car service (does not include the actual cost of the cruise nor buying TSA approved toiletries and carry-on luggage) from the Bronx to Miami ~or~ pay $2.50 on a Metrocard in NYC (free bus transfer to subway then walking from stop) to get to port? Its a no brainer in my case....