Prescription Bottles

Travelw

TSA does not require you to carry your meds in the prescription bottle but the individual countries may. We've never carried them in the prescription bottle. We put them in individual little baggies and one time had a TSA official thank us for not having them in individual bottles.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/09/tsa-travel-tips-tuesday-traveling-with.html

Is that a "baggie" or something special? If it is something special...where did you get it?:)

From your dealer, of course. Have you learned nothing from Law & Order or The Wire?!

Meanwhile, I'm amazed how many of you have prescriptions all the time. I need to buy stock in GSK right away.

I was told by a former Federal Police Officer to always carry original bottles and packets, and get the smallest vitamin bottles possible especially for travelling. I've had more challenges with the security requirements due to disability. I tell them I have an asthma puffer which I'd like to keep with me as I can react quickly to stress, never had a problem with wanting to be safe, ANDco-operate with the security people. Some passengers are fools, someone who is trying their best gets all the information needed to comply in my experience.

Crochetcruise :cool:

I've always wondered what a bottle proves. Your name is on it, yes, but do all TSA types know what each of the pills looks like? It seems to me you could dump just about anything into the bottle and say, "Yep. Antibiotics."

I doubt they know them, but it is not that hard to look up pills. You can do it yourself if you forget what that white pill is. I have a bottle for work with several types of pills, mostly Tylenol, Advil type pills. It gets harder when they keep changing the shapes of the pills too.

Just google "pill identifier". Then follow the directions.

Just curious but have they ever?

No but when they do they won't have to take time to search the internet to look up each pill. I don't know what the big deal is about taking the bottles. Women travel with more makeup. My pills fit in my shaving kit.

No but when they do they won't have to take time to search the internet to look up each pill. I don't know what the big deal is about taking the bottles. Women travel with more makeup. My pills fit in my shaving kit.

I think if they ever get serious & start really checking half the people would never board. ;)

I keep 3 weeks of pills in those daily cases. If my trip is less than 3 weeks, I always make sure I have extra, but normally don't bring the original bottles, but do have a print-out from my pharmacy showing my history. I have traveled over 2 million air miles internationally and domestic and have been to secondary many times - never been asked about my pills.

The US State Department (at http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/go/checklist.html#medications) notes:

Are You Taking Any Prescriptions or Other Medications?

If you take prescription medication:

• Pack enough to last your entire trip, including some extra in case you are unexpectedly delayed.
  • Carry your medications in their original labeled containers, and pack them in your carry-on bag since checked baggage is occasionally lost or delayed.
  • Ask your pharmacy or physician for the generic equivalent name of your prescriptions in case you need to purchase additional medication abroad.
  • Get a letter from your physician in case you are questioned about your carry-on medication; some countries have strict restrictions on bringing prescription or even non-prescription medications into the country without proper medical documentation.

The last bullet was news to me and I wish they had a link to the "countries with strict restrictions" but they didn't.

With millions of people flying daily most people will never be questioned but personally I would rather be prepared and avoid it. It is hard to predict what TSA will do on any given day; it is even harder to know what security in another country will decide to question.

Post 9/11, when security began to concentrate on liquids, my husband (a million+ miler mostly between the US and Europe) was stopped at Frankfurt airport and questioned about his eye drops. They insisted he put them in his eyes to prove that they weren't something nefarious!

Edited by capriccio

Meanwhile, I'm amazed how many of you have prescriptions all the time. I need to buy stock in GSK right away.

We take a baby aspirin everyday and the wife takes a calcium the size of a horse pill.

I place the calcium in a baggy as a 60 day supply or longer takes a lot of space. The aspirin I place in an empty Tic Tac bottle I label.

Many people are not blessed with perfect health as they age and some just want to be pro active.

If you do a cruise to Mexico you will see alot of Americans buying prescription drugs in ports with out prescriptions. When disembarking one time in Ft Lauderdale we were stopped and saked if we had bought perscription drugs we responded we were Canadian and had no need to.

Cheers

Edited by baldercash

When I read about all of the crap that people take on a cruise everything from coffee makers, mattress pads to holiday decorations for the door and stateroom I find it hard to believe that carrying few prescriptions in the original bottles to be a hardship or inconvenience.

When I read about all of the crap that people take on a cruise everything from coffee makers, mattress pads to holiday decorations for the door and stateroom I find it hard to believe that carrying few prescriptions in the original bottles to be a hardship or inconvenience.

Yes, but it's not the same people posting those comments. I travel as light as possible and if I really need something I'll buy it along the way. I have a miniature toothbrush, hair brush, travel toothpaste, shaving cream. The last thing I need is 6 -90 day bottles of meds taking up valuable space when all I really need is 1 small zip lock bag for them all. :cool:

I don't carry all that additional stuff. Everything I take fits in one carry-on size rolling bag and a small backpack. I take a heap of pills everyday so I won't drop dead from heart failure. I take pictures of my six prescription bottle labels and put the pills themselves in a little travel case designed for that. If TSA wants to spend an hour or so looking up all my drugs on the internet, they are welcome to do it. I still don't understand what is so magical about the little plastic bottle itself.

All that "crap" is usually in checked luggage. One should always take medicines in carryon luggage. Yes, the size bottles these come in can take up a good bit of limited space for someone with multiple prescriptions and OTC medicines.

Okay, I'm coming from the medical standpoint. I was 20 years in the U.S. Navy as a Hospital Corpsman. I can NOT tell you how many times I have responded to a medical emergency to find a pill box full of 'medications'. No identifying items. No prescription. Nothing. Medical care is delayed until we can determine the medication that the patient is on. Sometimes, if the medication is generic, that delay can be an hour or more.

Today's labels contain the description of the medication, including color, markings, size, and shape. With the name of the medication, patient's name, pharmacy and provider's name, dose, and frequency, any medical team can immediately know what the patient is taking, and adjust treatment as necessary.

Most pharmacies are more than happy to provide a small bottle or baggie with the same label for travel.

Pill boxes and daily pill sorters have their place. In my brain, they should NEVER be used for medications. Jewelry? Fine. Make-up? No problem. Medication that can't be readily identified? Um, not the best idea in the universe.