Prescription Bottles

Travelw

I'm also interested in answer, not just for Europe. I thought it was required that you carry the pills in the original bottles so they can verify that you actually have a prescription for the pills. It would be much easier to carry them in one of those weekly cases and leave the bulky bottles at home. Of course nobody has ever said anything or even looked at them on any of my trips

Would just a copy of the prescription label count? Or do I actually have to have the bottle with label attached?

Technically, you're supposed to. I don't but my pharmacy gives me printouts of the label for each drug that I bring with me. The label has all of the information, including my name so it verifies that it's mine. I've traveled all over in many different countries but never been asked about my prescriptions.

It's always a good idea to have a list of your medications, dosage, etc. with you. I keep a current list on my iPhone so whenever I'm asked about what medications I'm taking, I hand over my phone. I was glad I had it when I went to the Medical Center on the Royal in September with a severe cold.

Edited by Pam in CA

We have done numerous cruises with many pre-cruise stays in Europe and never bring the bottles. We also fly within the states quite a bit to visit family. We used to use the 7-day plastic pill cases but now use the small plastic pill bags and have never had anyone question us.

Marianne

My DW likes to take bottles. I like topic mine in small bags. Neither of us have had any problems.

Of course, if you don't carry the bottles, you should have a list of all the medications, doses, etc just in case you need to get some more medicine.

We have done numerous cruises with many pre-cruise stays in Europe and never bring the bottles. We also fly within the states quite a bit to visit family. We used to use the 7-day plastic pill cases but now use the small plastic pill bags and have never had anyone question us.

Marianne

Is that a "baggie" or something special? If it is something special...where did you get it?:)

I've always wondered what a bottle proves. Your name is on it, yes, but do all TSA types know what each of the pills looks like? It seems to me you could dump just about anything into the bottle and say, "Yep. Antibiotics."

The labels on my prescription bottles have my name, doctor's name, pharmacy name & address & phone number, type of medication, whether it's a generic (and what it's a generic for), how many pills are in the bottle, strength of each pill, as well as a description of what the pill looks like. Lots of information there.

I've always wondered what a bottle proves. Your name is on it, yes, but do all TSA types know what each of the pills looks like? It seems to me you could dump just about anything into the bottle and say, "Yep. Antibiotics."
guide book thats very accurate

Better then carrying a "baggie" or day box of unknown pills.

Best to have the original bottle. They have a quick reference guide book thats very accurate in identifying pills.

Chances of having a problem are slim but you just may be trying to catch that flight when they start looking alot closer then usual.

I carry the original bottles. In 2009 security (the German TSA equivalent) in Munich airport told me to open the 7 day pillbox container that was in my purse. They were surprised when there were no pills in it - only my earrings :D. My medications were in the original bottles in my carry-on but they decided not to look at anything else.

We went to Europe in Sept and went through US TSA and also TSA at Heathrow, London. I put my meds in the MTWThF container and I've taken pics of all the prescription information on my phone. That way I didn't have to bring all the bottles. But I wasn't questioned at any of the TSA checkpoints about the med.

I use a multi compartmented pillbox for almost everything. I generally bring along a controlled substance pain killer (its fun being me :(), and *that* I keep in its original bottle.

I keep a computer file with a list of my prescriptions, their strength and dosage, plus what they are used for. This list has a list of my health plan's pharmacies and my doctors names, addresses, and phone numbers (and the type of doctor they are). This prints out to one regular piece of printer paper. I always have an updated copy of this list in my purse, and one in the paper tray of my printer at home, in case there is an emergency and paramedics need the info. I print out a new list and take it to the doctors' on each visit. When I travel I keep a copy in my purse, and one with my travel documents. I make sure my travel companion knows where this is.

M.

I am sure that there will be many posters who will come back and say its not necessary to bring your meds in their original bottles because they travel all the time without them.

But, my story is cautionary: In 2010 we were flying back to the U.S. after a Med. cruise through the Porto, Portugal airport. I had all my pills (9 different ones) in their original bottles as well as DH's (only 3) which were all in my carry-on bag. Just before we got to the gate, I was "randomly(?)" selected for a more thorough pat-down at the second security check which passengers on flights bound for the U.S. were required to do at the time. Besides the full and complete pat-down, the agent went through my carry-on and questioned me about EVERY bottle.

So...do what you want, but I bring the original bottles every time I travel by plane.

I found nifty little zipper type plastic bags at the Dollar Tree (a little bag holding 100 bags for $1). They even have a place where one can write on each one. I mark mine AM and PM as those are the only times I routinely take meds.

As to prescription labels being matched to what's in the bottles .... I get my Rx meds from Walgreens, and there is descriptive information stating what each med is supposed to look like right on each label.

I am sure that there will be many posters who will come back and say its not necessary to bring your meds in their original bottles because they travel all the time without them.

But, my story is cautionary: In 2010 we were flying back to the U.S. after a Med. cruise through the Porto, Portugal airport. I had all my pills (9 different ones) in their original bottles as well as DH's (only 3) which were all in my carry-on bag. Just before we got to the gate, I was "randomly(?)" selected for a more thorough pat-down at the second security check which passengers on flights bound for the U.S. were required to do at the time. Besides the full and complete pat-down, the agent went through my carry-on and questioned me about EVERY bottle.

So...do what you want, but I bring the original bottles every time I travel by plane.

Thanks for the heads up, you are right one may go for many years and never have an issue. You just don't know. I bring the bottles.

DW brings her meds in the original bottles. I use plastic bags for mine. I started bringing a photocopy of my prescription bottles as a precaution. On occasion when bringing a Schedule III (now Schedule II) painkiller, I bring the original bottle. We have never been questioned about our meds.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Marianne

We also use the little bags for our pills, each divided into daily doses. It takes up much less space and is more convenient for carry on.

You are totally correct. Plus the TSA isn't really interested in your prescription bottles and what's in them. They are not narcotic experts.

This is one of those "it will never happen to me" scenarios. If they do decide to check your pills it will take a lot longer if they are not in the original bottles.

How frequently does each country check? No idea but I do know that if they are checking I will be the one they will check. : )

Edited by paddingtonbear
quentl

You are totally correct. Plus the TSA isn't really interested in your prescription bottles and what's in them. They are not narcotic experts.

Of course they aren't! They know what red flags to look for.

And it only takes a quick call to those in the background that are. ;)