How do you tip a porter?

michelle.zhang.90

Ya'll have me scared. I have had 16 cruises and have never had problems with the porters. I don't tip heavy, a buck a bag. But I have never been through SF either. I did go through Miami and that could be bad, but not with the porters.

I did have a problem with a shuttle driver. The fare was $40 and I gave him a $10 tip. He asked if I really wanted to give him that (twice). I said yes but if he thought it was too much he could give some back. He really got pissed then. But, he was a replanted New Yorker, so I should have expected that.

That was a great answer!

How much do people tip the so-called taxi dispatcher in Port Everglades? In the past I had never tipped him, but two years ago he got quite irate and demanded a tip. They seem to do less than the baggage guys.

How much do people tip the so-called taxi dispatcher in Port Everglades? In the past I had never tipped him, but two years ago he got quite irate and demanded a tip. They seem to do less than the baggage guys.

I have never tipped him.

Are you talking about the guy that manages the line waiting for taxis and points you to the next taxi?

Mike:)

Just got home from the December 19 cruise and yes a pallet of luggage was dumped into the bay. We talked with one couple that was not from the U.S. And they told us how the porter asked for 20 dollars for delivery of their luggage to their cabin. They then paid the porter 40 dollars for 2 bags that ended up on the pallet that went into the bay. We heard from multiple people that witnessed another couple leaving the ship after they embarked because their luggage was all sunk.

I am an Union member and I find it despicable the way the Longshoremen were arguing with each other on the dock. I am aware their contract expired in July and they're using a "work slow down" as way of protest. IMHO they should grow a pair and go on strike instead of working slower and still getting paid. Yes I carried all my luggage off the ship at disembarkation and will consider going out of San Pedro instead from now On.

BTW the Hawaii cruise was Awesome! Cheers!!!

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Just got home from the December 19 cruise and yes a pallet of luggage was dumped into the bay. We talked with one couple that was not from the U.S. And they told us how the porter asked for 20 dollars for delivery of their luggage to their cabin. They then paid the porter 40 dollars for 2 bags that ended up on the pallet that went into the bay. We heard from multiple people that witnessed another couple leaving the ship after they embarked because their luggage was all sunk.

I am an Union member and I find it despicable the way the Longshoremen were arguing with each other on the dock. I am aware their contract expired in July and they're using a "work slow down" as way of protest. IMHO they should grow a pair and go on strike instead of working slower and still getting paid. Yes I carried all my luggage off the ship at disembarkation and will consider going out of San Pedro instead from now On.

BTW the Hawaii cruise was Awesome! Cheers!!!

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I believed what I read from a few posters during your cruise about the porters and the pallet that went into the water. What a shame. I've never heard of something so crazy. I hope people write and complain about what happened.

I'd rather they strike and everyone carry their own luggage on. For those that need help carrying luggage, my DH and I would work the whole day carrying luggage on board for fellow passengers that required assistance. I'd even graciously tip a Princess employee that had to work if the porters were on strike. These porters need to take a dunk in the ocean.

BTW - I'm so glad you had a great cruise!

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

Demanded a tip!!!:eek:

I know what 'd have given him and it wouldn't be a tip.

It is that attitude that makes a lot of people anti-tipping, the "I have a right to a tip"

You ask where does it stop, well I guess it stops in Australia. Please not to worry I already corrupted your "culture" in 1976 when I spent several months there. Even there I believed in rewarding good, helpful and desired service.

It would probably be best if you did not venture far from "Australia's sunny shores," but I suspect that you already have.

What a rude post.

Again I have never had a porter give me an attitude or ask for money at any port. I guess it's just me. Some of you seem to have trouble with every porter you meet. I guess it's good to be me.

I too have never had a problem with the porters in San pedro

like cflutist asks you, have you sailed from SF? I have, and we did have trouble back in 2007. They were whining and sniveling. We also were delayed until 9:30 leaving port because the porters were causing trouble. Our luggage mAde it. Many in our large group did not receive their luggage

We also saw luggage in pallets sitting on the dock as late as 6:30

And we (many of us) had issues with nasty porters in Miami, too.

We always tip, by the way, and generously, so that wasn't the problem

So in 20 plus cruises we've had two issues. Good for you if you've had no issues

:rolleyes:

Edited by 4cats4me

We were tipping $1 a bag 40 years ago. It's been decades people think that is a good amount but really....... a raise might be in order in the new century. :) I have never tipped a porter less than $5 and depending upon how many bags and how heavy, often more. Call it a bit of insurance or whatever but so far, my bag has always arrived in my cabin. It's part of the cost of travel. :)

Ya'll have me scared. I have had 16 cruises and have never had problems with the porters. I don't tip heavy, a buck a bag. But I have never been through SF either. I did go through Miami and that could be bad, but not with the porters.

I did have a problem with a shuttle driver. The fare was $40 and I gave him a $10 tip. He asked if I really wanted to give him that (twice). I said yes but if he thought it was too much he could give some back. He really got pissed then. But, he was a replanted New Yorker, so I should have expected that.

You do realize that many San Franciscans (including me) are "transplanted" New Yorkers.

That said, what exactly did you mean by you "should have expected that"?

The difference between New Yorkers (I.e., folks born and bred in The City) and others all boils down to: when we're angry with you for good reason, we "stab" you in the front while others "stab" you in the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Years ago, when there was not as much security, we use to tip $20, ask that they insured the luggage got to the cabin asap...

now days, we tip less because the luggage has to go through security, porter has no control on how soon luggage get loaded on the ship.

Generally give the porter at least $10, then we stick around til the luggage cage is filled and taken to security.

So much invective in this thread against workers who are being presumed to be making too much money. If you people are all so jealous of the dockworkers' salaries that you can't even part with a couple dollars when you hand over a suitcase, then maybe you should get yourself one of those jobs. I have a sneaking suspicion you might find out it's a little harder work than the cushy sinecure some of you are making it out to be.

Very well said! The above is the best post of this thread.

Very well said! The above is the best post of this thread.

Part of the earlier rant involved SF porters. Regardless of whether they are nasty or not, please realize that a family income of under $100K annually here basically means you can't afford to buy a home. Of course, the quality of life is unmatched anywhere. But, it ain't cheap and those porters are just trying to live the California dream.

Part of the earlier rant involved SF porters. Regardless of whether they are nasty or not, please realize that a family income of under $100K annually here basically means you can't afford to buy a home. Of course, the quality of life is unmatched anywhere. But, it ain't cheap and those porters are just trying to live the California dream.

So that is am excuse for what, if other posters are believed, can only be described as extortion.

So that is am excuse for what, if other posters are believed, can only be described as extortion.

Certainly not an excuse. Just trying to shed some light on why they might be perceived as agressive. Also, understand that this is an historically unionized town with very little tolerance for change.

It's kind of ironic that outsiders see SF as ground zero for liberal thought and good manners. Yet it is one of the most conservative "in your face" places in the country in that there is little tolerance for anything other than the predominant view be it politics, economics, etc.

In short, please understand that SF is 49 sq. mi. surrounded by reality (and, right now, Dungeness crab is available for about $8/pound).

They like to have you perceive that your luggage will be "misplaced" if they're not tipped properly, when if fact it's not true at all while others on this board would like to have you believe that they're only poor folks trying to make a decent wage. For people without a formal education I'd say they're doing quite well especially since they're protected by a union.

They like to have you perceive that your luggage will be "misplaced" if they're not tipped properly, when if fact it's not true at all while others on this board would like to have you believe that they're only poor folks trying to make a decent wage. For people without a formal education I'd say they're doing quite well especially since they're protected by a union.

I am not so sure of that. A couple of years ago, when we arrived at PE the guy was too busy rearranging the wads of money in his pockets to take our luggage, so I put it on the cart myself and then went back and gave him the tip. I don't think he saw me put it on the cart and didn't connect that suitcase with anyone that had tipped him. It was the only time that the luggage arrived after midnight and the tag was missing.

Interesting that you know the education level of the porters.

Yea, I'm sure they are loads of Engineers, Doctors and Lawyers working on the docks these days. They work there on their off time for a few extra bucks.:rolleyes:

After all the pay isn't all that bad. :D

I think the point was that you have no idea as to their education level.

Yea, I'm sure they are loads of Engineers, Doctors and Lawyers working on the docks these days. They work there on their off time for a few extra bucks.:rolleyes:

After all the pay isn't all that bad. :D

Comments like that are the reason you are no longer "1 happycruiser";)