Say it ain't so --- Limit on Lobster Tails

I find it so interesting that not one person has actually answered OP with a yes or no, true or false. Perhaps asking on a recent Legend Roll Call might bring about an actual answer.

I was on Liberty Dec 6 and I dont think there was a limit. I didnt order lobster but I am fairly certain the couple that was sitting across from me, the husband had 3. Cant be certain.

I think people will drink more than usual on a cruise vacation whether they have the package or not. We've not noticed an increase of drunks, violence, crime, or unexpected pregnancies on cruise ships since the packages were implemented so I doubt the consumption has increased to an intolerable level. Until the consumption effects my experience I'm pretty much OK with the packages. ;)

I guess an increase in drunks would be fairly obvious, but how would one detect an unexpected pregnancy on a 7 day cruise?

:)

I have not had a good lobster on any cruise line main dining room. I am about to go on my first Royal Caribbean cruise and have low expectations for the lobster or may skip it altogether.

That said I do not support a limit on an included in the fare item.

What I think is best in this situation is for cruise lines to increase the quality of the lobsters they serve, but in return for this they should charge a nominal fee for the lobster. That way no one will be ordering multiples just for the sake of it, but would be allowed if they wanted to pay, and those that do decide to pay the fee are given better quality lobsters than currently served.

People will always pay for quality items

Best-

Steve

I have been on two cruises with the lobster formal night and I don't know if this has happened with anyone else, but my waiter came around with another one when he saw I was finished without me even asking. This happened on both cruises! I was only going to eat the one, but since they offered another I said what the heck...OK! It wasnt just the lobster tail but the entire fisherman's platter! :cool:

I have been on two cruises with the lobster formal night and I don't know if this has happened with anyone else, but my waiter came around with another one when he saw I was finished without me even asking. This happened on both cruises! I was only going to eat the one, but since they offered another I said what the heck...OK! It wasnt just the lobster tail but the entire fisherman's platter! :cool:

Maybe the platter was about to spoil and they had to get rid of it.

Like "Fish Specials" in restaurants

I guess an increase in drunks would be fairly obvious, but how would one detect an unexpected pregnancy on a 7 day cruise?

:)

If you don't read it here on Cruise Critic then it can't be happening, right? :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Big_G

I have not had a good lobster on any cruise line main dining room. I am about to go on my first Royal Caribbean cruise and have low expectations for the lobster or may skip it altogether.

Steve

You should have low expectations, Lobster on cruise ships are always very subpar. Maybe its cause my gf and I have a home and Maine and eat lobsters there only, thus making us snobs. But, I just dont see how people can stuff their face with 5-6 tails on these ships. I couldnt even eat more than 2 quality Maine Lobster in the finest restaurants in Maine

It could have been a limited supply on that particular cruise. On one of our cruises a tablemate asked for two orders and was told that they had to wait and see if there would be enough for everyone. The waiter did eventually bring a second order but unless you asked you didn't get one. I've also seen a second order brought without having to ask on other cruises.

I was thinking the same thing, might be an exception based on availability and not a policy or trend. Have to wait and see if other ships are also limiting quantity.

I've seen it a few times too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What they NEED to do is start putting daily limits on the drink package. No one needs "unlimited" drinks. Talk about gluttony...if not a touch of alcoholism. That will save our favorite cruise line much more money than limiting lobster servings. Every drink thread says the same thing; order as much as you can, if it gets warm, throw it away, if you don't like it, throw it away, if the ice melts, throw it away. Far more expensive waste!

I personally hate the idea of drink package. It promotes binge drinking by people to get their money's worth and its terrible to see.

There were 8 adults in our party last week and we all purchased a drink package....sorry to disappoint but no one binged, wasted, drank half and threw it away, or got drunk.

We observed one obnoxious drunk that was advertising his quest to get his moneys worth on the UP by noontime every day...other than that I think it is just more convenient. Given the fact that all of us had a "hangover free" week, we would purchase it again;)

OP sorry to hijack...just wanted to respond!

My parents just came back from a 9 day cruise on the Legend of Seas and they claim that there is a limit of TWO Lobster Tails per person in the dining room?!?! Is this fleet wide? or just this ship?!?!?!?!?

Never experienced anything like this on Princess or Carnival....

Did not happen to us on the Jewel 11/29/14 sailing, or the Adventure 12/7/14 sailing. The Legend might not have been able to get a large enough supply that sailing.

Best lobster I ever had was on HAL going from Sydney to Seattle. We stopped in Honolulu, and the buffet manager went to the fish market first thing after docking. He found a vendor that had a large amount of lobster caught that morning, and he bought ALL of them. Split them in half lenghtwise, and grilled them in the buffet for dinner. They didn't post it on the menu: it was a surprise. They served lobster nonstop for 4 hours. Sooooooooooo delish! What a treat, and I told him so the next morning when I saw him.

What they NEED to do is start putting daily limits on the drink package. No one needs "unlimited" drinks. Talk about gluttony...if not a touch of alcoholism. That will save our favorite cruise line much more money than limiting lobster servings. Every drink thread says the same thing; order as much as you can, if it gets warm, throw it away, if you don't like it, throw it away, if the ice melts, throw it away. Far more expensive waste!

I'm pretty sure carnival has a limit of 15 per day with their package, but I could be wrong. Maybe eventually RCI will take up this same practice. ;)

:o Karen, I was on that cruise with the OP's parents... (I met no one on the cruise who mentioned this. Not that that mans anything. :D)

No, it means everything. :) It most likely means that OP heard wrong/was minsinformed - that this is an unsubstantiated rumor. Rest assured, I think we would have heard more about it besides this one thread. :p

Have you been back on land yet since we met in November? :D You're a busy lil gal. :D

If they put limits on the drink package then I will stop purchasing it. The reason I buy it now is that I can have what I like when I like and not have to worry about the bill. Please don't impose your ideals on my cruise, nobody is making you get a drink package.

As for the lobsters, I feel that a limit of 2 entrees in general is both reasonable and fair. I am a big eater but would never expect to be able to order more then this. However, I would appreciate a higher quality lobster

If they put limits on the drink package then I will stop purchasing it. The reason I buy it now is that I can have what I like when I like and not have to worry about the bill. Please don't impose your ideals on my cruise, nobody is making you get a drink package.

As for the lobsters, I feel that a limit of 2 entrees in general is both reasonable and fair. I am a big eater but would never expect to be able to order more then this. However, I would appreciate a higher quality lobster

People are extremely wasteful with the drink packages. A limit of 12, or 15 as someone suggested, is more than ample and allows a purchaser to get their moneys worth without being excessively wasteful.

How can you say I should not impose my ideals on your cruise and in the next breath say a limit of 2 entrees in general is reasonable and fair. I strongly disagree with you. Sounds like you are the one imposing your ideals (limited food for everyone that has paid, unlimited alcohol and wastage for those with a drinks package).

Not everyone abuses the drink package but many do. They share or make excessive waste. This costs everyone more in reality.

Personally, I feel in OP's case that they were just running low on supply and wanted to make sure everyone that wanted lobster got lobster.

No limits on my last Indy cruise. And there will never be a limit on an unlimited drink package. They may try raising the prices of drinks and lowering the value amounts per package. They've already cut back big time on their pours. Now they always always measure.

People are extremely wasteful with the drink packages. A limit of 12, or 15 as someone suggested, is more than ample and allows a purchaser to get their moneys worth without being excessively wasteful.

Cruising, in general, is excessively wasteful - I can theoretically get over a BILLION ppl to agree with this assertion. And no, I don't care about being excessively wasteful. I paid for it, remember?

Since we are just bargaining the silliness:

I raise your 12-15 drinks limit to 33 + 1 sugar-free gingerbread latte (why not? we are all quoting numbers out of our rear-ends, anyway)

And I give you three lobster tails + 7 escargot (who eats these abominable critters anyway?!?!) in return.

Sorry but you'll have to show me how that's possible before I believe it.

There is ALOT of extra waste because of the drink package. I won't say that cost is being pushed onto everyone else though. But he's a perfect example which I see ALL the time.

Guest wants to try something new on the menu they've never had or have the bar tender surprise them with something. The guest then doesn't like the drink and has something else made. They either then get their known drink they like or some are stupid enough to try the crap shoot again. Some fail. So you're now at 2 wasted drinks that got poured out. Multiply that by all the people who do this. Which is a lot and your left with a lot of wasted product

Edited by UNV-IT!!!

No limits on my last Indy cruise. And there will never be a limit on an unlimited drink package. They may try raising the prices of drinks and lowering the value amounts per package. They've already cut back big time on their pours. Now they always always measure.

I only saw one bartender measure. The rest just tip the bottle and smile.

Edited by Retired LEO