Say it ain't so --- Limit on Lobster Tails

I personally hate the idea of drink package. It promotes binge drinking by people to get their money's worth and its terrible to see.

Really? I'll put a challenge out to you. I'll be on the Enchantment on Jan 9th. I get the alcohol package. I usually start around 11:00 am and continue into the night. I definately get my money's worth. I'll bet you can't pick me out since it's "Terrible to see" as you put it.

Really? I'll put a challenge out to you. I'll be on the Enchantment on Jan 9th. I get the alcohol package. I usually start around 11:00 am and continue into the night. I definately get my money's worth. I'll bet you can't pick me out since it's "Terrible to see" as you put it.

I already said in 1 of my replies it is not everyone. I am happy to see people not abusing it but, as I said I've known people who have.

Did not happen to us on the Jewel 11/29/14 sailing, or the Adventure 12/7/14 sailing. The Legend might not have been able to get a large enough supply that sailing.

Maybe the OP's parents had a mean waiter. ;) :D

Have you been back on land yet since we met in November? :D You're a busy lil gal. :D

Not so much. ;) :D

I am now landlocked until February, though.

People are extremely wasteful with the drink packages. A limit of 12, or 15 as someone suggested, is more than ample and allows a purchaser to get their moneys worth without being excessively wasteful.

How can you say I should not impose my ideals on your cruise and in the next breath say a limit of 2 entrees in general is reasonable and fair. I strongly disagree with you. Sounds like you are the one imposing your ideals (limited food for everyone that has paid, unlimited alcohol and wastage for those with a drinks package).

Not everyone abuses the drink package but many do. They share or make excessive waste. This costs everyone more in reality.

A 15 drink limit per day is not unreasonable. If you drink more than 15 drinks per day you need to go to AA. Thats insane.

Nick Cage in Leaving Las Vegas would have trouble having 15 drinks in 1 day.

I'm not trying to be rude or argumentative, but why do you think you should have the right to impose your ideal limit on someone else's unlimited beverage package?:confused: Unless someone on a drink package directly impacts your cruise as a result of their actions from too many included drinks, then it's quite simply none of your business.

I actually think there are a lot of people out there like me. I definitely get my money's worth, but part of that is the value I put on convenience and not signing/keeping track of a lot of little slips!:D

Edited by Cindy

I'm not trying to be rude or argumentative, but why do you think you should have the right to impose your ideal limit on someone else's unlimited beverage package?:confused: Unless someone on a drink package directly impacts your cruise as a result of their actions from too many included drinks, then it's quite simply none of your business.

I actually think there are a lot of people out there like me. I definitely get my money's worth, but part of that is the value I put on convenience and not signing a lot of little slips!:D

Wasnt my idea, I was agreeing with whoever said there should be a limit of 15.

There is ALOT of extra waste because of the drink package. I won't say that cost is being pushed onto everyone else though. But he's a perfect example which I see ALL the time.

Guest wants to try something new on the menu they've never had or have the bar tender surprise them with something. The guest then doesn't like the drink and has something else made. They either then get their known drink they like or some are stupid enough to try the crap shoot again. Some fail. So you're now at 2 wasted drinks that got poured out. Multiply that by all the people who do this. Which is a lot and your left with a lot of wasted product

The waste that you are describing is a pimple on a gnat compared to the waste in five minutes in the Windjammer.

:rolleyes:

The waste that you are describing is a pimple on a gnat compared to the waste in five minutes in the Windjammer.

So true but I am guilty of that as well, take things that I dont end up liking or eating with my eyes and getting full half way in. I am getting better though, I think.

5 martinis is the break-even on the drink packages. EZ to get money's worth without going overboard (no pun intended [emoji12]) for larger people with high tolerance.

I chose NOT to do the drink package and was glad i didn't because of the brutally bad service, it would have annoyed me

How about a unlimited lobster tail package? Everyone complains about the food,etc (I will be among them) however it is unrealistic to expect to pay the standard fare (really cheap for a week long trip with food, entertainment, and travel included) and get the best quality food in unlimited amounts. I would be willing to pay a supplement to get a better quality food package or something like they do on Celebrity occasionally which is an unlimited dining package allowing you to eat at specialty venues for all dinners and some lunches.

As for me putting my ideals on limiting lobster tails to 2, the explanation above is the reason. It is unrealistic to expect quality and quantity at the current cruise prices unless you are paying for a suite or above.

I chose NOT to do the drink package and was glad i didn't because of the brutally bad service, it would have annoyed me

What bad service? Do you mean you get worse service with Drink Package? Or just in general?

I didn't know you could see a pimple on a gnat:eek:

That's all well and fine but you said there was no added waste from the drink package. Which isn't true. At all there is waste. I'm not saying we should get rid of the packages or limit them either. That's the point of an unlimited drink package. To be unlimited.

That's all well and fine but you said there was no added waste from the drink package. Which isn't true. At all there is waste. I'm not saying we should get rid of the packages or limit them either. That's the point of an unlimited drink package. To be unlimited.

Does RCI advertise as unlimited? I don't know. Have never purchased a package.

Does RCI advertise as unlimited? I don't know. Have never purchased a package.

Ive heard it called the unlimited drink package when the servers are selling it outside the windjammer and in the promenade. Then they tell you the different levels offered.

Ive heard it called the unlimited drink package when the servers are selling it outside the windjammer and in the promenade. Then they tell you the different levels offered.

I just looked at the latest update of drink packages dated Sept 2014 and there is no mention of unlimited quantity. The ultimate package says virtually unlimited options, but nothing indicates unlimited quantity. I'm sure this is a way for them to cut off those visibly intoxicated and belligerent, as they should, by pointing out nothing in the literature says unlimited.

Eh it's all besides the point. The cruise line I am sure builds into all areas for waste. As long as people are willing to pay for waste, booze or food, let it be. I'm not a heavy drinker and don't like lobster, but I don't think prescribed limits are right either. I'll pay more for a midnight buffet if the lobster and drink crowd is happy to pay for their choices.

I'll pay more for a midnight buffet if the lobster and drink crowd is happy to pay for their choices.

Midnight buffet! Now you are bringing this silly thread back to a serious topic, man!

Nothing quite so blissful as a midnight buffet to complement the Ultimate (not "Unlimited," silly) Beverage Package quite well, I say.

Ultimate (not "Unlimited," silly) Midnight Taco and Burrito Buffet - I'd pay for it.

Midnight buffet! Now you are bringing this silly thread back to a serious topic, man!

Nothing quite so blissful as a midnight buffet to complement the Ultimate (not "Unlimited," silly) Beverage Package quite well, I say.

Ultimate (not "Unlimited," silly) Midnight Taco and Burrito Buffet - I'd pay for it.

I can feel my wallet getting lighter as I type[emoji51]

I actually want to go back to OP's question.

Has anyone else seen this happen on board? I'm curious.

As for the debate on how much is too much. I've ordered a second helping of an entree before, but can't imagine a third.... well there was the risotto on Allure... OK scratch that moving on.

My point was going to be, a 2nd lobster tail is likely as far as 95% of cruisers out there will go, so this "limit" I doubt will make or break anything for most of us.

As for the changing the "anything you want" mindset which keeps so many of us coming back, I understand. I'd love to see some data on how many people eat more than two.

But it brings me back to a story from Monarch years ago.

It was my high school graduation present. Me & 7 friends left the day after graduation, flew to San Juan and did a 7 day on Monarch. A group of unsupervised 18-year olds probably scared the heck of crew and our fellow passengers at first, but before long most on board took a liking to us.

One night we were hanging by the pool enjoying a bucket of beer and the captain walks by and starts talking to us. He reminds us of his free champagne party that night, and lobster at dinner.

Now being from New Orleans, we loved us some seafood. A good chunk of us were ready to go throw on our suit and go drink with the captain and down some lobster.

But ultimately the group decided to stay together, avoid dressing up and hang out by the pool.

Next thing we know, 3 waiters show up at the pool. They spread butcher paper on a table and dump about 2 dozen lobsters on the table, like a mountain of crawfish. Our bartender brings over another bucket of beer, and they say "compliments of the captain"

That right there made our cruise.

and is why at 18-years old, on my first vacation without my parents I knew my next and the one after that would be on a Royal Caribbean cruise. And they were.

So, I get it, limits can make future captains less likely to do something like that, which i think

changes the RCI I feel in love with. But hopefully not.

Now if if they put limits on that risotto.....

Have not read the entire thread, but your story is wonderful!!

Do you remember the ship......and the captains name? OOP's...read it was the Monarch!

Stories like this belong in a Royal Caribbean scrapbook, of some of the best things that ever happened to a person on a cruise ship!;):D

Thank you for sharing, unfortunately.......at 18, that was a few years (or more) ago, and things like you experienced.......that made memories of cruising for you for life.........are few are far between today.

Rick

Edited by rubrrick
Didn't have my reading glasses on the first time!

Have not read the entire thread, but your story is wonderful!!

Do you remember the ship......and the captains name? OOP's...read it was the Monarch!

Stories like this belong in a Royal Caribbean scrapbook, of some of the best things that ever happened to a person on a cruise ship!;):D

Thank you for sharing, unfortunately.......at 18, that was a few years (or more) ago, and things like you experienced.......that made memories of cruising for you for life.........are few are far between today.

Rick

And I'll quote my own story.........with another....with lobster.

There were four of us sitting in the Windjammer, in a reserved area, just talking, and getting ready to get up and get our food, when the captain of the ship (whom we know) comes up and asks if he can join us for dinner.

The captain gets on his phone, and suddenly, a waiter from Chops shows up, with Chops menus, and we dined.......in the jammer....with steak and lobster from Chops. Delightful!! It's not the only story, but one that has a fondness for what Royal Caribbean can do:).......and this was only a few years ago.

Rick

And I'll quote my own story.........with another....with lobster.

There were four of us sitting in the Windjammer, in a reserved area, just talking, and getting ready to get up and get our food, when the captain of the ship (whom we know) comes up and asks if he can join us for dinner.

The captain gets on his phone, and suddenly, a waiter from Chops shows up, with Chops menus, and we dined.......in the jammer....with steak and lobster from Chops. Delightful!! It's not the only story, but one that has a fondness for what Royal Caribbean can do:).......and this was only a few years ago.

Rick

Love that story Rick.:)

It's up to you to determine what kind of service you get. On my last Freedom cruise they were scrambling to serve me.

I tipped $5 addl each drink first round, still got bad service. I guess the going rate for self-determining good service is higher!?!?

I tipped $5 addl each drink first round, still got bad service. I guess the going rate for self-determining good service is higher!?!?

$5 additional on each drink? You probably won't be surprised to find it hard for the rest of us to believe...bad service that is, not that you tipped $5 a drink.