Say it ain't so --- Limit on Lobster Tails

I wonder how many people would eat at home or in a restaurant t if there was a direct cost. My bet not the number that some brag about that either they or their children ate - term glutton comes to mind.

What they NEED to do is start putting daily limits on the drink package. No one needs "unlimited" drinks. Talk about gluttony...if not a touch of alcoholism. That will save our favorite cruise line much more money than limiting lobster servings. Every drink thread says the same thing; order as much as you can, if it gets warm, throw it away, if you don't like it, throw it away, if the ice melts, throw it away. Far more expensive waste!

What they NEED to do is start putting daily limits on the drink package. No one needs "unlimited" drinks. Talk about gluttony...if not a touch of alcoholism. That will save our favorite cruise line much more money than limiting lobster servings. Every drink thread says the same thing; order as much as you can, if it gets warm, throw it away, if you don't like it, throw it away, if the ice melts, throw it away. Far more expensive waste!

I personally hate the idea of drink package. It promotes binge drinking by people to get their money's worth and its terrible to see.

It could have been a limited supply on that particular cruise. On one of our cruises a tablemate asked for two orders and was told that they had to wait and see if there would be enough for everyone. The waiter did eventually bring a second order but unless you asked you didn't get one. I've also seen a second order brought without having to ask on other cruises.

I know you love to dig at Carnival but reality is is if they don't limit it and RCI does, well, advantage Carnival no matter how you spin it.

How about Guys burgers INCLUDED whereas Johnny Rockets is 5.95 and even al a carte on Quantum?

Or, USDA Prime steaks in Carnivals steakhouses INCLUDED in the 35.00 pp whereas in Chops they cost extra?

Advantage Carnival as well.

I ate one tail on the two RCI cruises I've been on where it was on the menu but I'm of the same opinion as you and Merion Mom. A cut is a cut.

Maybe it was just a limited supply as Big G said.

Edited by ryano

I do order the fisherman's plate, and I've never ordered more than one, but I was at a table in the MDR once with a guy who ate 5.

In terms of imposing a limit of two…for some reason this doesn't seem like such a big deal to me. Personally I would be unlikely to eat more than one anyway, but since folks CAN order more if they want, I get that the planning/budgeting/procurement for that particular menu could be difficult. Undoubtedly it must be based on the average # of lobster tails per cruise which are consumed on a given ship, but the concept of average includes both high demand and low demand and ends up with a number in the middle.

So there would be some high demand cruises with average supplies. And it could be further complicated by timing on any cruise - like if a whole bunch of people at early dining or early MTD ordered a whole bunch of extra lobster tails. Suddenly the possibility exists that the amount available in the galley won't cover second seating MDR or late MTD. It might turn out to be an average demand cruise, but since the early diners are ordering a disproportionate amount, some control may have to be imposed for later potential demand.

I guess to me it seems less about putting limits on something and more about planning supply adequately and providing for a more even distribution of the supply available. (And who knows - possibly this approach is a response to resolve survey complaints like "I couldn't get a second lobster tail.")

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

I've had the lobster tails on RCI and being an East Coaster, I was not impressed. I grew up on Atlantic/Maine Lobster and the RCI tails did not compare. On my first cruise I ordered two , after that I skipped them altogether. So limiting the number will not impact me.

On one cruise we were on...first seating apparently ate more than expected of the prime rib. We were at second seating.

4 people at our table of 6 ordered prime rib....and they had grilled it instead of roasting it. It was the worst prime rib we had ever had.

The head waiter apologized profusely, and we had alternate entrees.

The drink packages, which people pay extra for, has nothing at all to do with an apparent cut in an included item.

I personally hate the idea of drink package. It promotes binge drinking by people to get their money's worth and its terrible to see.

I had the Ultimate Package on my Oasis cruise last month, and I can assure you I didn't do any binge drinking.:rolleyes:

The drink packages, which people pay extra for, has nothing at all to do with an apparent cut in an included item.

I had the Ultimate Package on my Oasis cruise last month, and I can assure you I didn't do any binge drinking.:rolleyes:

You are one of the few. Too many people on know went on a bender for the week just to get their money's worth. My good friend's co-worker got a visit from RC staff accusing him of sharing his package and saying they would cut him off cause he drank so much.

You are one of the few. Too many people on know went on a bender for the week just to get their money's worth. My good friend's co-worker got a visit from RC staff accusing him of sharing his package and saying they would cut him off cause he drank so much.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think people will drink more than usual on a cruise vacation whether they have the package or not. We've not noticed an increase of drunks, violence, crime, or unexpected pregnancies on cruise ships since the packages were implemented so I doubt the consumption has increased to an intolerable level. Until the consumption effects my experience I'm pretty much OK with the packages. ;)

I think people will drink more than usual on a cruise vacation whether they have the package or not. We've not noticed an increase of drunks, violence, crime, or unexpected pregnancies on cruise ships since the packages were implemented so I doubt the consumption has increased to an intolerable level. Until the consumption effects my experience I'm pretty much OK with the packages. ;)

Same here . I really have not noticed much difference at all.

I find it so interesting that not one person has actually answered OP with a yes or no, true or false. Perhaps asking on a recent Legend Roll Call might bring about an actual answer.

My parents just came back from a 9 day cruise on the Legend of Seas and they claim that there is a limit of TWO Lobster Tails per person in the dining room?!?! Is this fleet wide? or just this ship?!?!?!?!?..Never experienced anything like this on Princess or Carnival....

I was one the Allure last month and had the lobster, there was no need to have more than one, to say the lobster was bad would be an understatement.
Oh I get it, I once had a bad hamburger for lunch in the dining room so they should they put a limit of one per person?

In that case it sounds like you support a limit on the drink package. Perhaps 12 drinks per day. People still MORE than get their money worth without being exceptionally wasteful "Order the whole menu, try it, throw it away, get something else." That costs the cruise line far more money in waste than buying extra lobster.

I find it so interesting that not one person has actually answered OP with a yes or no, true or false. Perhaps asking on a recent Legend Roll Call might bring about an actual answer.

:o Karen, I was on that cruise with the OP's parents. But I didn't go to the MDR on 2nd formal night at all. So although I SHOULD have been able to give a report, I can't. Sorry. :o

(I met no one on the cruise who mentioned this. Not that that means anything. :D)

Edited by Merion_Mom

I typically cruise on RCI or NCL and once on Princess. I have never sailed on Carnival due to my perception of Carnival. All this talk of binge drinking prompted me to ask this question. I have been under the impression that Carnival is a "party" cruise line with a lot of young drunken people. Is this the case? Have folks who have actually sailed on Carnival and RCI seen any difference in behavior between Carnival and the other cruise lines?

I typically cruise on RCI or NCL and once on Princess. I have never sailed on Carnival due to my perception of Carnival. All this talk of binge drinking prompted me to ask this question. I have been under the impression that Carnival is a "party" cruise line with a lot of young drunken people. Is this the case? Have folks who have actually sailed on Carnival and RCI seen any difference in behavior between Carnival and the other cruise lines?

I think Carnival can definitely have that atmosphere (especially on March-April sailings when colleges are out for spring break!), but when the wife and I were on the Carnival Liberty in October, I did not encounter any young drunken people. There were probably more kids ages 4-14 on the ship than there were twenty-somethnings. I'd estimate the average age on that sailing was close to 40 :eek:

Edited by RiotAct

In that case it sounds like you support a limit on the drink package. Perhaps 12 drinks per day. People still MORE than get their money worth without being exceptionally wasteful "Order the whole menu, try it, throw it away, get something else." That costs the cruise line far more money in waste than buying extra lobster.

No, I don't support a limit. In my experience, the vast majority of people with a package don't sit around and drink all day, the same way the vast majority of people with DL/CL access don't sit in the lounge and guzzle drinks during happy hour. I think the behavior of a few is what gets noticed, and unfortunately causes the cruise line to make changes that impact everybody, even the ones who don't over-indulge(or over-eat, or smuggle, or anything else people talk about on here).

I've been on 5 Carnival cruises, and none of them was a "party" cruise. The main difference is that Carnival ships are much more crowded, because they carry a higher passenger load per square foot.

No, I don't support a limit. In my experience, the vast majority of people with a package don't sit around and drink all day, the same way the vast majority of people with DL/CL access don't sit in the lounge and guzzle drinks during happy hour. I think the behavior of a few is what gets noticed, and unfortunately causes the cruise line to make changes that impact everybody, even the ones who don't over-indulge(or over-eat, or smuggle, or anything else people talk about on here).

Well said. This has been our experience as well. You know the old adage that one bad apple can spoil the whole barrel-I think that is applicable here.