Bedding

StanLaurel

I sailed a few weeks ago on the Regal, it was our first ever cruise and we enjoyed it immensely. One thing that surprised us was the bedding. Any time I go to a hotel, there is a bottom/fitted sheet, a top sheet, and a blanket or blanket/comforter combo. Sometimes even a cover over that. So when we saw that aside from the bottom sheet, there was only a cover/comforter/blanket/sheet combo, it seemed odd. It was fairly heavy and as I like to sleep covered up, I was glad the air conditioning in the room worked well and kept us comfortable. The bed itself was extremely comfortable.

Is this the norm on all cruise ships?

I sailed a few weeks ago on the Regal, it was our first ever cruise and we enjoyed it immensely. One thing that surprised us was the bedding. Any time I go to a hotel, there is a bottom/fitted sheet, a top sheet, and a blanket or blanket/comforter combo. Sometimes even a cover over that. So when we saw that aside from the bottom sheet, there was only a cover/comforter/blanket/sheet combo, it seemed odd. It was fairly heavy and as I like to sleep covered up, I was glad the air conditioning in the room worked well and kept us comfortable. The bed itself was extremely comfortable.

You can ask for a top sheet.

It is the norm for all Princess ships. Princess stopped using the top sheet/blanket/bedspread combo years ago, and went to the all in one system. You can request a top sheet and an extra blanket, but we never found it necessary.

I, too, will be missing that "top sheet" and will probably request one. I can't help but wonder how often those combo comforters are laundered? Anyone have any ideas on that?

Debjo

I sometimes wonder the same thing. If you have any doubts about the comforter just ask your Steward for a "fresh" one.

How about the shower curtain? It's always a concern of mine [since they somehow always want to get familiar], I don't want them touching me after they've touched another [unfamiliar body.] :eek:

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Duvet covers were the topic in an extensive thread last month: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2123644. We have stayed in many hotels in Europe and now more frequently in the US that are using duvets with removable covers - those in the States tend to have top sheets too; those in Europe sometimes do and sometimes don't. The last Hampton Inn we stayed in (in South Carolina) even had a note saying that the covers were washed and changed for each new guest. I personally think that is much more sanitary than a bedspread that is changed periodically (if then).

I sometimes wonder the same thing. If you have any doubts about the comforter just ask your Steward for a "fresh" one.

How about the shower curtain? It's always a concern of mine [since they somehow always want to get familiar], I don't want them touching me after they've touched another [unfamiliar body.] :eek:

I must be the only person in the world who can shower in a Princess shower without the shower curtain "snuggling" with me. I normally clip a couple of large binder clips to the bottom of the curtain to keep it hanging where it belongs but, on our recent 10 day to Mexico, I forgot to take them along and had no problem with the shower curtain at all.

I am not sure exactly how often they are changed out, but our room steward did change out ours on a semi-long (17 day) cruise and sent the old one to be laundered. I too would hope that they are changed with each new guest at least.

Mark

I am not sure exactly how often they are changed out, but our room steward did change out ours on a semi-long (17 day) cruise and sent the old one to be laundered. I too would hope that they are changed with each new guest at least.

Mark

If I see any signs of dirt or mold on the shower curtain or the duvet, I ask for a new one and I ALWAYS ask for a top sheet. But, I'm also the person who brings Clorox wipes and does the TV remote; door handles and the inside of the drawers.

Call me OCD if you want to.....but, I don't really like sleeping or dealing with strangers cooties all over me!!!!!

I believe the Duvet covers are changed with the sheets. I usually get a top sheet anyway, though.

Shower curtains are a different story. I have sometimes asked for a fresh one because the old one smelled of urine. Yuck. It makes the whole bathroom stink. By the way, I am sometimes the only one who can smell it. And it may be mold/mildew but I still think it stinks.

Upon meeting our room steward, we ask for a top sheet, a light blanket, and egg crate/pillow topper, and two additional firm pillows.

We find the duvet too hot to sleep under so we have it added as an additional layer between the sagging, rock-hard mattress. (Always our experience thus far)

The top sheet and light blanket is perfect for the cool room at night.

I think the shower curtain [even in the mini-suites] has a mind of it's own. I've been told that if you use the large clips at the base of the curtain that it does not cling but I always forget to bring them along when I travel.

I keep clothespins in my carry on. They're not needed on RCI, but I sure need them onPrincess, and in hotels, too. Never leave home without them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums