Unfortunate incident on the QOTS

FIRELT5

This is very frightening to me as I will have my child next door (connected rooms) on our cruise. I'm trying to remember, but isn't there a way to completely lock the door when you are inside the cabin? Can anyone with a key open it?

Koohiichan

I hate to tell you this but the room still can be entered even if you use the deadbolt.

Sure, but not by any ol' crew member carrying their access card. My understanding has always been that there are higher level personnel who can access the key necessary to turn the deadbolt in case of emergency. (Of course, things could be different on Quantum with all the new technology).

Bottom line, I still feel comfortable saying that the minibar guy cannot access your cabin if the deadbolt is secured and that 99% of the time you will be safe if you deadbolt your cabin door when inside.

Edited by Dave85

Sure, but not by any ol' crew member carrying their access card. My understanding has always been that there are higher level personnel who can access the key necessary to turn the deadbolt in case of emergency. (Of course, things could be different on Quantum with all the new technology).

Bottom line, I still feel comfortable saying that the minibar guy cannot access your cabin if the deadbolt is secured and that 99% of the time you will be safe if you deadbolt your cabin door when inside.

That's makes sense to me.

No time is mentioned in either article, nor in the affidavit. The after hours is probably an assumption because the victim was asleep and the affidavit says he entered the room while he was not authorized or permitted. That statement could simply mean that staff are not to enter the rooms of sleeping guests at any time.

In my life the act is called a crime.....not an "unfortunate event". And if found guilty hung from the yard arm.

........Happy New Year Big G.....".:)

Happy New Year Joe. Get ready, the cold is coming.

This is very frightening to me as I will have my child next door (connected rooms) on our cruise. I'm trying to remember, but isn't there a way to completely lock the door when you are inside the cabin? Can anyone with a key open it?

If you have a connecting room leave your adjoining doors propped open slightly and put the desk chair under the kids outside door. If anyone tries to get in you should be able to hear it.

If you're concerned about your safety there are several travel door stops available online that will do the trick. The door jammer slips in under the door and will prevent anyone from being able to force the door open, short of busting it in all together.

If you're concerned about your safety there are several travel door stops available online that will do the trick. The door jammer slips in under the door and will prevent anyone from being able to force the door open, short of busting it in all together.

Some have loud alarms too. My wife has traveled with one on business.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Not sure the motion sensor type alarm will work when the ship is moving if the seas are causing it to move around. There is another type that fits into the door edge that might work better.

I would assume the risk is during normal hours when a worker would be normally be working and entering rooms. The computer tracks when a given card is used to access and any use after normal work hours would be easily tracked.

While this is clearly a disturbing crime on many levels, I also think it is exceedingly rare. There is nothing unique to Quantum for this type of crime. Given the volume of cruises without such an incident makes this very unlikely. But that is little comfort to the woman who was assaulted. And everyone needs to make their decision on how they view the risk and how to manage it.

It was confirmed in one of the newsletter I receive that a crew member on the Quantum assaulted a passenger. He refilled all the mini bars so had a master key to enter all his cabins he was responsible for. Lesson learned when in cabin always put the dead bolt on.

Happy New Year!

It was confirmed in one of the newsletter I receive that a crew member on the Quantum assaulted a passenger. He refilled all the mini bars so had a master key to enter all his cabins he was responsible for. Lesson learned when in cabin always put the dead bolt on.

Happy New Year!

From the other thread
I hate to tell you this but the room still can be entered even if you use the deadbolt.

Crimes can happen any where it can even happen at a hotel room. Just best not to try to think about it the chances of that happening is slim. But I would try to dead bolt thing. or leave something like a suitcase in front of the door or something. That would make a noise apon them entering if so

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLACRUISER99 View Post

You do want someone to be able to get in to your room in case you have an accident, sudden illness, or heart attack. There is a valid reason for a ship's officer to be able to by pass the deadbolt.

This is a terrible thing. I know.