Two dogs in a stroller on Sillouette

jayoldschool

I've been waiting to see if someone else would bring this up, but it looks like I'm the one to get the honour. We were on the Christmas sailing of Silhouette. Great time, no major concerns. I was taken aback, however, as we were joined by two dogs at all venues. A pair of teacup Yorkies, pushed in a stroller by their "mother" or her son. Cafe Al Bacio, Martini Bar, and yes, the MDR on formal night. The dogs had special outfits for formal night. Our asst waiter did a double take, and said, "I think I just saw two dogs in the dining room!"

I put my comments on my survey.

Did anyone else notice them? If you weren't there... would dogs in a stroller impact your "Modern Luxury" cruising experience?

Yes, any pet aboard ship in public spaces would bother me. However, a true service dog would not bother me at all. There is a lengthy thread about a dog aboard HAL's ms Amsterdam, and some very informed discussion about service dogs.

I'm sure you'll get beat up but I agree. Service dogs one thing but I'm guessing these were not. I would have been furious.

PS: I'm a dog lover but understand they are pets....another reason why Celebrity is suspect in selecting future cruises.

Edited by blindrid

That is really strange as Celebrity state that "no pets" except Guide Dogs. The only line that I can see will carry dogs is Cunard but they are confined to kennels, not in staterooms and definately not in public areas.

You would wonder how possibly could Celebrity allow especially in eating areas. You sure they were real dogs?

We are animal lovers (we have a wonderful Mini Schnauzer and 2 cats) but we just wouldn't feel right about abusing the system. We have friends who brag about how they bought a certificate online certifying their dog as an emotional support dog ----she is a well loved pet but they have no conditions that require special emotional support, but now they can bring her on a plane with no fee and she doesn't have to stay in a dog carrier. Ridiculous. And I hope they are reading this.

Have been on board with these dogs a few times. They ARE service dogs. Service dogs are not just for the blind. Service dogs assist those with seizures and other issues.

Those who have commented that service dogs only are allowed on board....this is a correct statement.

Papers must be provided by a physician stating the the dog(s) are required.

Hope this clears the matter up for those who are showing "some concern".

I've been waiting to see if someone else would bring this up, but it looks like I'm the one to get the honour. We were on the Christmas sailing of Silhouette. Great time, no major concerns. I was taken aback, however, as we were joined by two dogs at all venues. A pai of teacup Yorkies, pushed in a stroller by their "mother" or her son. Cafe Al Bacio, Martini Bar, and yes, the MDR on formal night. The dogs had special outfits for formal night. Our asst waiter did a double take, and said, "I think I just saw two dogs in the dining room!"

I put my comments on my survey.

Did anyone else notice them? If you weren't there... would dogs in a stroller impact your "Modern Luxury" cruising experience?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have been on board with these dogs a few times. They ARE service dogs. Service dogs are not just for the blind. Service dogs assist those with seizures and other issues.

Those who have commented that service dogs only are allowed on board....this is a correct statement.

Papers must be provided by a physician stating the the dog(s) are required.

Hope this clears the matter up for those who are showing "some concern".

I have concern about the abuse of the law to support one's emotional issues. Service dogs are trained to perform a service to the disabled. Riding in a stroller is not a legitimate or legal service. The cruise industry must get a grip on this issue asap.

I have concern about the abuse of the law to support one's emotional issues. Service dogs are trained to perform a service to the disabled. Riding in a stroller is not a legitimate or legal service. The cruise industry must get a grip on this issue asap.

I have no idea what "service" these dogs are providing, but I fail to see how them being in a stroller makes a difference. There are service dogs who are trained to be able to tell when a diabetic's blood sugar is low. Perhaps that's the service they provide, and the owners just feel more comfortable bringing them around in a stroller as opposed to tugging leashes? As I said, I have no idea what the circumstances are in this situation, but I don't understand why people automatically assume the system is being abused or this is something that Celebrity needs to fix.

The dogs must have been qualified service animals as those are all that is allowed onboard. Since I am fortunate enough to not need a service animal, I do not feel qualified to judge which services are good enough to deserve one and which are not.

The dogs must have been qualified service animals as those are all that is allowed onboard. Since I am fortunate enough to not need a service animal, I do not feel qualified to judge which services are good enough to deserve one and which are not.
Not necessarily so. During another thread on this subject, I actually called Celebrity and asked if the allowed emotional support dogs (not consider a service dog under Title II and Title III of the ADA) on the ships and they said yes. I wonder, about this situation, why did the person need two dogs?

Not necessarily so. During another thread on this subject, I actually called Celebrity and asked if the allowed emotional support dogs (not consider a service dog under Title II and Title III of the ADA) on the ships and they said yes. I wonder, about this situation, why did the person need two dogs?

By qualified service dog, I meant qualified by Celebrity's standards, as the ships are not American.

Good for you for calling Celebrity. Now you can feel justified when looking down on those who have only brought their dogs to provide emotional support.

Edited by Sapphire723

Emotional support or serivce dogs do not belong in the MDR at all.

If they need these dogs whlie they eat or drink , then eat and drink in your cabin with the dogs.

OMG, if I saw them in any dining venue I would be aghast.

How about three? :D

How emotional support animals are changing air travel

If they need these dogs whlie they eat or drink , then eat and drink in your cabin with the dogs.

So, you feel a blind person who requires a seeing eye dog should never be allowed to eat out?

Fleckle,

I think the emotional support in the article was saving $300.00 :D

Sapphire,

the OP was not talking about a service dog for a blind person. Those dogs are well trained they are working, not carted around in stroller, and sit quietly until their owner moves.

Come on, the OP was talking about two small dogs in a stroller.

What service were they providing in the MDR? My fruit soup course always gives me the emotional support I need to have a wonderufl dinner.;)

BTW did you read the aritlce Fleckle linked?

Good Read.

By qualified service dog, I meant qualified by Celebrity's standards, as the ships are not American.

Good for you for calling Celebrity. Now you can feel justified when looking down on those who have only brought their dogs to provide emotional support.

I have the highest respect for service dogs and the jobs they do for their owners and I have total disdain for posers who can't leave spot at home and lie about having a disability. Edited by NLH Arizona

Do you not see them in restaurants and other public places where people eat and drink where you live?

In most cities, at least in the USA, they are commonly with their owners in restaurants, at malls, parks, theaters, hotels, bars, cafes, grocery stores, sporting events, schools, gyms, churches, airports, riding public transportation, in fact just about everywhere.

When people are eating and drinking, the service dogs are usually inconspicuously under the table, or lying quietly at the owner's feet in theaters or on airplanes, trains or buses so someone may be unaware that they are even there.