Two dogs in a stroller on Sillouette

jayoldschool

Balderdash!

The cruise line should demand a letter from a psychiatrisrt before allowig anyone to come aboard with their mutts. The mutts should never be allowed in dining areas, either!

Your comment indicates you haven't read any/all of the posts for this thread.

Balderdash!

The cruise line should demand a letter from a psychiatrisrt before allowig anyone to come aboard with their mutts. The mutts should never be allowed in dining areas, either!

As indicated a number of times in this thread, they are not permitted to ask for any documentation under Federal Law.

I don't think anyone could love dogs more than me, but you are missing the point. The imposter Service Dogs actions cause real harm to legitimate Service Dogs and their owners.

for the record there are many restaurants in the Charlotte area with outdoor seating areas that allow dogs - and my wife and I do sometimes take our lab Lucy to these venues (she is not a Service Dog); but we do not pretend she is a therapy or service dog (although of course to us she is).

Having read the whole thread I had to ask hubby if we had 'emotional support dogs' in the UK (having never heard of the term). His answer creased me up, dead pan his answer was "Yes, its called a bottle of wine".

Sorry, it made me laugh - may be lost in translation - just a cultural difference.

Still laughing :D:D:D:D:D

I would love to see 2 Yorkies in a stroller wearing eveningwear! Just too funny. Legitimate service dogs or not, the sheer quirkiness of it is one of the reasons I cruise. You just can't make this stuff up.

If health concerns are you major worry I would be looking at your fellow passengers who don't follow basic handwashing procedures as a threat not a couple of dogs in a stroller. People really do need to lighten up and enjoy!

Many countries and states allow dogs in restaurants. There need be no pretense, as its allowed for pets.

Years ago, while driving around the English countryside with our young son, we stopped for lunch at a roadside pub along the way.

Children were not allowed inside because liquor was served there.

Dogs were allowed inside, however, and we found it amusing that people brought their dogs in with them but had to leave their children out on the porch.

In the USA, different states have different liquor laws.

Long ago, I went into a package liquor store in the state of Oklahoma to buy a bottle of wine. It was a store that only sold sealed bottles, not a place where there were any open bottles, or where any beverages were consumed.

Yet you had to leave your minor children outside on the sidewalk, but could bring your dog in with you.

It appeared as though they were afraid the children might be corrupted just by seeing glass bottles on shelves. :D

They didn't even have a porch for the children the way the pub in England did.

Edited by fleckle

Balderdash!

under the US ADA laws, the company could be heavily fined for requesting such information. Medical records and issues are private affairs, no one can request them, HIPA regulations. come into play as well as the ADA law.

It's our (your) congressmen and senators that passed the laws, the company is just doing its best to follow it, which means asking only 2 questions 1) is this a service animal and 2) what service dos it perform. They may not ask what the ailment is. Only have the guest confirm the service animal and its services it performs.

I would love to see 2 Yorkies in a stroller wearing eveningwear! Just too funny. Legitimate service dogs or not, the sheer quirkiness of it is one of the reasons I cruise. You just can't make this stuff up.

If health concerns are you major worry I would be looking at your fellow passengers who don't follow basic handwashing procedures as a threat not a couple of dogs in a stroller. People really do need to lighten up and enjoy!

It doesn't matter how you feel about it, what about what's good for the owner? Whether this particular example is the case or not, people are dealing with their empty nest syndrome and anxiety by being co-dependent on their dogs. It's not cute, it's not healthy. Some people need to put their big girl pants on and leave spot at home!

I think I read somewhere that Oceania does not allow service animals from any port it is not obligated to take them. ( no I haven't checked, I read it on CC) :rolleyes:

This is awful for people with real service dogs, should it be true and I would rather a movement begin to change it.

I think our worst nightmare, other than the doll cruise, would be hundreds of untrained dogs and irresponsible owners boarding. If it gets like that, I will look for cruises that are harder to put Fluffy on. I love dogs, all my dogs emotionally support me. But they aren't cruising with me, we pay thousands to board or bring in housesitters for every vacation we take.

Years ago, while driving around the English countryside with our young son, we stopped for lunch at a roadside pub along the way.

Children were not allowed inside because liquor was served there.

Dogs were allowed inside, however, and we found it amusing that people brought their dogs in with them but had to leave their children out on the porch.

In the USA, different states have different liquor laws.

Long ago, I went into a package liquor store in the state of Oklahoma to buy a bottle of wine. It was a store that only sold sealed bottles, not a place where there were any open bottles, or where any beverages were consumed.

Yet you had to leave your minor children outside on the sidewalk, but could bring your dog in with you.

It appeared as though they were afraid the children might be corrupted just by seeing glass bottles on shelves. :D

They didn't even have a porch for the children the way the pub in England did.

Fleckle:

Last year New Jersey passed a law that you had to harnass your dog while driving in the car. If you didn't you could get a ticket. A lot of people were laughing because the fine for not harnassing your dog was higher than the fine for not buckling your children in the car.

Cat I bring my cat?? She provides support and it is a chore to find someone to care for her when I am cruising. The furniture on the ship will never be the same and she is a little vocal. I could bring her food and let me tell you the dining room will empty when I open her tuna pate can. I am not sure I can get her to ride in a stroller.... SHE is an ANIMAL. I don't think I will try and dress her up as I am on blood thinners.

I am so sad to see the way people bring their dogs every where these days. I was just at my local grocery store and almost every time I go I see a dog in the store. Today it was a pit bull. Last time there was a medium sized mutt riding in the cart in the baby seat and it was barking and snapping at shoppers as they passed. I have seen a mutt lift his leg and decorate a display in the produce department.

I confronted the owner and she said it was OK as it was a comfort dog!! I have talked to the store management and they say they can't do anything.

I can do something.... go to store that will not allow dogs.

Real service animals are wonderful and I respect the wonderful job they do for their companions. I hope the cruise industry can control this new distasteful issue of dogs at sea.

I love my pet but I am not going to drag her around.

4boys nana

Fleckle:

Last year New Jersey passed a law that you had to harnass your dog while driving in the car. If you didn't you could get a ticket. A lot of people were laughing because the fine for not harnassing your dog was higher than the fine for not buckling your children in the car.

This makes me wonder whether or not they would be lenient with people from other localities driving through New Jersey who are unaware of that law.

It may be a nice source of additional revenue for them.

They always say that ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Still, realistically people could hardly be expected to be familiar with every obscure law of every locality through which they may travel.

Isn't New Jersey also one of the states where you are not allowed to pump your own gas?

Emotional Support Animals. Seeing more and more of them.

Emotional Support Animals are a scam 75% of the time, but you can't really penalize the 25% who really need them just because of the jerks abusing the system. And the jerks know this, so you'll keep seeing more and more Emotional Support Animals everywhere.

Emotional Support Animals are a scam 75% of the time, but you can't really penalize the 25% who really need them just because of the jerks abusing the system. And the jerks know this, so you'll keep seeing more and more Emotional Support Animals everywhere.

It is a world of entitlement and because of the way the American Disabilities act is written we are unable to question the offenders. I can't say just by looking at a situation that the law is being abused. I don't have an answer for Celebrity on how they can crack down on the offenders. I can tell you that my neighbor has an autistic child and until this child was trained with the two Yorkie's from the agency he was not here!. Jason feeds, bathes, and dresses up these dogs and at the same time he feeds, bathes and dresses himself..it is amazing how these dogs impact his life. For the selfish arrogant imbecile offenders, I put up with them. The people who actually need the service dogs should not be questioned or criticized for their needs because of the offenders. The service dog is truly an unbelievable animal and have made an important difference in the lives of their masters. The imbeciles that abuse the system I can guarantee will be the trained by their dogs!:mad:

Emotional support or serivce dogs do not belong in the MDR at all.

If they need these dogs whlie they eat or drink , then eat and drink in your cabin with the dogs.

OMG, if I saw them in any dining venue I would be aghast.

I don't understand the big deal. Well behaved animals in the restaurant are far less of a problem than misbehaving children as far as I am concerned. As to the specific issue, service animals should be wearing their Service Animal harness/Overcoat.

My last cruise, a TA on RCCL, included one emotional support service animal among my fellow travelers. Lovely people, lovely dog, I am so happy that the benefit Snoopy provides them enables them to travel freely like "normal" people.

I understand the cruiselines' position of needing to comply with the letter and spirit of the ADA -- and their concerns about lawsuits, if they don't. But, one point about allowing non-trained/certified "therapy" or "support" dogs onboard could pose a potential problem for them. I thought of it when I read the post about the server in Michael's Club "upsetting" the lady's little dog. If an untrained and poorly supervised "therapy pet" bites another passenger (something you almost never hear of, with trained service dogs) -- what kind of liability could the cruiseline be facing?

Edited by wwcruisers

I don't understand the big deal. Well behaved animals in the restaurant are far less of a problem than misbehaving children as far as I am concerned. As to the specific issue, service animals should be wearing their Service Animal harness/Overcoat.

My last cruise, a TA on RCCL, included one emotional support service animal among my fellow travelers. Lovely people, lovely dog, I am so happy that the benefit Snoopy provides them enables them to travel freely like "normal" people.

Ah - let's not bring children into this conversation. I've seen many more "adults" misbehaving than children.

Interesting thread - especially with the timing!

We booked our upcoming cruise BEFORE we got our fur baby. With this one we are away much longer than normal - a full three weeks. I am devastated, leaving my boy. Do you know that it takes only 14 days for a dog to accept their 'new life' when staying somewhere else?

He is going to be staying at his daycare, but the owner and I joked about making him an emotional support dog. Joked? Seriously? I am so very upset and anxious about leaving my boy behind. I seriously contemplated getting him 'emotional dog' support status. I know, I know....I contemplated it. But, in good conscientious, cannot do it. While missing my boy will definitely affect my trip, I would never demean or diminish the value of those who truly need emotional support animals.

And shame on those of you that do.