Two dogs in a stroller on Sillouette

jayoldschool

I learn something new everyday.!:)

The dog strollers are being sold for dog owners whose pets have mobility issues. They are also marketed according to the link for keeping big, aggressive dogs and insects away from "Fuffy"...:cool:

Thanks for the information.

Edited by Azulann

...And, IMO, I think proof should be required that the animal is indeed a service animal. NOT what the ailment is, just the their animal is needed. A card of some sort. People parking in the handicapped spot in parking lots are required to have a sign in their car window or have license plates, having proof your animal is indeed a service animal is not a big deal.

I agree that some sort of proof should be required. The biggest hurdle right now for that is that that the law doesn't require this. The disability laws are clearly written in a way that prohibits, or limits, requirements to disclose details about one's disability. This is an admirable right of the disabled. But I feel that in cases where a disability has the potential to infringe on the rights of others, and in a situation where the rules might promote rampant fraud (such as fake service dogs), that the need to prove a service dog is legitimate out weighs that right.

Unfortunately, I think the chances of ever seeing such a change in the law are slim to none given todays political environment. So all this talk is pretty academic.

Edited by Lsimon

I agree that some sort of proof should be required. The biggest hurdle right now for that is that that the law doesn't require this. The disability laws are clearly written in a way that prohibits, or limits, requirements to disclose details about one's disability. This is an admirable right of the disabled. But I feel that in cases where a disability has the potential to infringe on the rights of others, and in a situation where the rules might promote rampant fraud (such as fake service dogs), that the need to prove a service dog is legitimate out weighs that right.

Unfortunately, I think the chances of ever seeing such a change in the law are slim to none given todays political environment. So all this talk is pretty academic.

Actually the real Service Dog owners and the groups that train them are leading the fight against fake service animals...so maybe in this instance logic will prevail.

here is a petition you can sign to support the fight...from Canine Companions for Independence (CCI):

http://www.cci.org/site/c.cdKGIRNqEmG/b.9194893/k.652A/Stop_Service_Dog_Fraud/apps/ka/ct/contactus.asp?c=cdKGIRNqEmG&b=9194893&en=dwKPJ6MPJcLYKgNSKbJVJcO2JnISLfMYLjL5KkN6JwIfG

The worst part is these self-absorbed pompous morons are imitating people with actual medical conditions severe enough to require use of a service trained animal.

So they are just riding the coattails of laws designed to help people with disabilities and by doing so they hurt the cause of people with genuine needs. Entitled trash of the lowest form.

This is not difficult - WHAT IS YOUR DOG TRAINED TO DO? That's not against ADA. Maybe these people are too cheap to pay for a kennel or maybe they are just overgrown children that can't be told NO without having a hissy fit.

I don't pay to go on a ship with animals unless it is called Noah's Ark. Who is walking the dog? What furniture is the dog sleeping on? Who's cleaning the dog doodoo? Anyone pushing a dog in a stroller on a ship probably is making the staff do the cleaning. These people all need to be put in their place. LOWLIFES.

The worst part is these self-absorbed pompous morons are imitating people with actual medical conditions severe enough to require use of a service trained animal.

So they are just riding the coattails of laws designed to help people with disabilities and by doing so they hurt the cause of people with genuine needs. Entitled trash of the lowest form.

This is not difficult - WHAT IS YOUR DOG TRAINED TO DO? That's not against ADA. Maybe these people are too cheap to pay for a kennel or maybe they are just overgrown children that can't be told NO without having a hissy fit.

I don't pay to go on a ship with animals unless it is called Noah's Ark. Who is walking the dog? What furniture is the dog sleeping on? Who's cleaning the dog doodoo? Anyone pushing a dog in a stroller on a ship probably is making the staff do the cleaning. These people all need to be put in their place. LOWLIFES.

Yes it is.

That's like asking a person who just parked in a handicapped spot and who is apparently walking without aid what his handicap is. It's none of your (anyone else's) business.

Be that as it may, there should be some sort of proof that the dogs are indeed TRAINED SERVICE ANIMALS.

A friend of mine is extremely allergic to dogs (his face and nose gets so red, it's like someone punched him the face numerous times), so he steers well clear of them. He's sympathetic to the needs of others in terms of them truly requiring them, but it puts him in situation where he's very uncomfortable. And that's HIS medical condition. So whose needs come first then?

Yes it is.

That's like asking a person who just parked in a handicapped spot and who is apparently walking without aid what his handicap is. It's none of your (anyone else's) business.

The law DOES allow this. It allows 2 very simple questions to be asked of anyone who has a service animal:

1) Is that a service animal?

2) What service does it perform

You may not ask why do you have that animal, what ailment/disease/condition do you have. You may not ask "what's your handicap".

Edited by cle-guy

The law DOES allow this. It allows 2 very simple questions to be asked of anyone who has a service animal:

1) Is that a service animal?

2) What service does it perform

You may not ask why do you have that animal, what ailment/disease/condition do you have. You may not ask "what's your handicap".

Thank you for properly quoting the ADA guidelines.

http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Just a repeat comment......these guidelines are for the owner of the establishment or cruise line....they DO NOT apply to you and me....that is, you can ask what is your handicap? where was the dog trained? or any other question you want.

I've found, as you can probably expect, those with real service dogs are quite willing to discuss their dogs, their dogs abilities and they are more proud of their dogs than of their children. Those who are scamming the system get irritated that you are asking, threaten to call the manager, I've even had one "service dog" owner threaten to sue me under the ADA act that they obviously didn't even understand (admittedly, that was a fun conversation).

Edited by ghstudio

Forgive me if this has been posted ( I did not read the entire thread). Did you see US Air let a big ol pig on a plane a few weeks ago. They ended up making it leave but you gotta ask, who lets a pig on a plane?

I have a flight attendant friend who was working a Delta flight, and they had to accommodate a service "miniature horse". ADA guidelines protect dogs and mini horses.

ADA does not protect pigs or anything but dogs and mini horses, but companies that allow "support animals" out of wanting to provide customer service do.

There is a legal distinction between ADA protected service animals and "emotional support" animals.

Edited by cle-guy

I've found, as you can probably expect, those with real service dogs are quite willing to discuss their dogs, their dogs abilities and they are more proud of their dogs than of their children. Those who are scamming the system get irritated that you are asking, threaten to call the manager, I've even had one "service dog" owner threaten to sue me under the ADA act that they obviously didn't even understand (admittedly, that was a fun conversation).

Absolutely agree. Someone with a legit service animal has handy the simple and correct answers to those 2 questions. They know its part of the law and rules that are affording them the service animal, really a "medical device".

Someone scamming will often get embarrassed, ticked off and fumble answering "what service does it perform".

Edited by cle-guy

Forgive me if this has been posted ( I did not read the entire thread). Did you see US Air let a big ol pig on a plane a few weeks ago. They ended up making it leave but you gotta ask, who lets a pig on a plane?

OK - I had to Google this!!

well....pigs can be legitimate emotional support animals according to Federal guidelines: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/feds-airlines-must-let-passengers-fly-pigs-emotional-support

Apparently this is why the pig was let on. It was kicked off the plane in compliance with the guidelines after it became a disturbance by defecating on the floor and howling. Fortunately for the other passengers this occurred shortly after boarding and before the plane left the gate.

An emotional support pig? Maybe we should stop complaining. I'd rather deal with a couple cute puppies in a stroller than something like this on a cruise!

141130153420-pig-on-plane-story-top.jpeg

Just a repeat comment......these guidelines are for the owner of the establishment or cruise line....they DO NOT apply to you and me....that is, you can ask what is your handicap? where was the dog trained? or any other question you want.

You're correct, although I'd be careful to ask about the services provided by the dog, because whatever disability that person may be suffering from is nobody's business but their own. I think most people who have legitimate service dogs would be more than happy to discuss the dog and the service provided but if someone approaches them in an accusatory manner, or so many people are questioning them that it really prevents them from going about their daily business, then I wouldn't blame that person from getting defensive or not being willing to go into much detail. If I have a legitimate service dog for something that's not so easily recognizable (say, because I'm a diabetic and the dog has been trained to sense when my blood sugar is low), well it's going to get pretty tiresome if whenever I'm out in public people continue to ask me about the services the dog provides, especially in an accusatory tone.

As someone pointed out earlier, the laws were designed to provide people with true disabilities the ability to take their service dogs almost anywhere they needed to go. Obviously this is also making it easier for many people to take advantage of the system, but I don't think the answer is to make it too much harder for the true disabled to enjoy the benefits of their service dog, just to punish the low-lifes who choose to scam the system.

An emotional support pig? Maybe we should stop complaining. I'd rather deal with a couple cute puppies in a stroller than something like this on a cruise!

I'd rather deal with neither, and I should not have to. One person pushing the bounds to absurdity does not make it okay for another to just be a little absurd.

I wish airlines would just let dogs on as a carryon. SO long as they fit in a carryon bag made for pets that fits under the seat. Or allow you to buy a second seat for your animal if they can't fit in the appropriate place.

Also if they would allow checking of kenneled dogs at the departure counter rather than cargo center, it would help relieve a lot of the scamming dogs on flights.

I travel when I am able with my king charles spaniel. United charges $125 each way for him, AND TELLS ME I CAN NOT CARRY ON ONE OF MY FREE CARRYONS.

My dog is trained to not bark, makes no noise, and sleeps at home in his carrier so he's comfortable traveling in it. He's a pet, not a service animal.

That they make me pay and take away my free carryon is ridiculous....

Airlines should limit the number of pets/animals on a plane, the likelyhood of overshooting that number due to a medically needed animal is quite slim. Just like on a cruise there is a finite number go H/C cabins available, there is a finite number of animal accessible seats on a plane, maybe need to get the next flight out.

They should have is agree to a $500 cleaning fee for any mistakes the pet may make and have that payment method on file.

They should make us agree to be deplaned if the pet is fussy or makes noise prior to departure, and if in flight, ensure the pet can not fly back with the individual on the return flight- the individual will need to book a cargo flight for their pet to get it home.

Enforce these rules, consistently, and only pets who are trained to travel will fly, and no one would even know.

On 2 of my 10 flights with my dog, the person sitting next to me had no idea I had a dog in my underseat carrier till I pulled it up waiting to get off the plane and they saw him thru the mesh sides.

well....pigs can be legitimate emotional support animals according to Federal guidelines: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/feds-airlines-must-let-passengers-fly-pigs-emotional-support

Apparently this is why the pig was let on. It was kicked off the plane in compliance with the guidelines after it became a disturbance by defecating on the floor and howling. Fortunately for the other passengers this occurred shortly after boarding and before the plane left the gate.

I guess when my dad use to say "when pigs fly", he never thought they really would. LOL!

I've been waiting to see if someone else would bring this up, but it looks like I'm the one to get the honour. We were on the Christmas sailing of Silhouette. Great time, no major concerns. I was taken aback, however, as we were joined by two dogs at all venues. A pair of teacup Yorkies, pushed in a stroller by their "mother" or her son. Cafe Al Bacio, Martini Bar, and yes, the MDR on formal night. The dogs had special outfits for formal night. Our asst waiter did a double take, and said, "I think I just saw two dogs in the dining room!"

I put my comments on my survey.

Did anyone else notice them? If you weren't there... would dogs in a stroller impact your "Modern Luxury" cruising experience?

Maybe they were just really ugly kids? ;)

This has been an interesting discussion, both on this board and with friends. Unless someone actually spoke to the owners and/or their son, we are not in the position to judge if these were truly emotional support animals. A Child Psycologist friend says that she really has to complete detailed paper work to qualif an emotional support animal. She believes that than can be "life changers" for people that have suffered recent traumatic experiences as well as for many dmental developmental issues. Perhaps the parent, or shild did really need the comfort they provided? As with handicapped parking permits their will be people that beat the system. We have two large dogs that we love. However, we do not take them on vacations!. Unless we really know for certain that those with the two Yorkies were abusing the system we cannot pass judgeement on them. I agree that the law, as written, can use clairification.

I've been waiting to see if someone else would bring this up, but it looks like I'm the one to get the honour. We were on the Christmas sailing of Silhouette. Great time, no major concerns. I was taken aback, however, as we were joined by two dogs at all venues. A pair of teacup Yorkies, pushed in a stroller by their "mother" or her son. Cafe Al Bacio, Martini Bar, and yes, the MDR on formal night. The dogs had special outfits for formal night. Our asst waiter did a double take, and said, "I think I just saw two dogs in the dining room!"

I put my comments on my survey.

Did anyone else notice them? If you weren't there... would dogs in a stroller impact your "Modern Luxury" cruising experience?

Emotional support dogs I've heard of. Personally i feel it's reall pushing the envelope here. The fact they were "dressed" for formal night really causes me to call this into question. What's next? Comfort zone pythons?

Emotional support dogs I've heard of. Personally i feel it's reall pushing the envelope here. The fact they were "dressed" for formal night really causes me to call this into question. What's next? Comfort zone pythons?

I agree with you. But what makes me think they were a scam, is that there were TWO dogs, I can't imagine how a second dog would be medically necessary versus a single dog.

There's a "when pigs fly" joke in there some place...

Quote: 'If I have a legitimate service dog for something that's not so easily recognizable (say, because I'm a diabetic and the dog has been trained to sense when my blood sugar is low),........'

Sorry if I appear dumb... why would anyone need a service dog to tell them that their blood sugar is low/high??? My son is diabetic and has been for nigh on 20 years now. He SENSES when his sugars are wrong - he then CHECKS with a quick needle prick test, so why would anyone need a service animal for this???? Okay, perhaps someone elderly might not be on the ball so much, but what ever happened to taking responsibility for your own health? And don't even get me started on this 'emotional support' nonsense. 2 muts in a stroller?? In the words of John McEnroe - 'you cannot be serious'!

Edited by jonsmum

If I have a legitimate service dog for something that's not so easily recognizable (say, because I'm a diabetic and the dog has been trained to sense when my blood sugar is low),

Sorry if I appear dumb... why would anyone need a service dog to tell them that their blood sugar is low/high??? My son is diabetic and has been for nigh on 20 years now. He SENSES when his sugars are wrong - he then CHECKS with a quick needle prick test, so why would anyone need a service animal for this???? Okay, perhaps someone elderly might not be on the ball so much, but what ever happened to taking responsibility for your own health? And don't even get me started on this 'emotional support' nonsense. 2 muts in a stroller?? In the words of John McEnroe - 'you cannot be serious'!

You sort of answered your own question: Your son has been diabetic for 20 years and can easily recognize the symptoms. For someone who is newly diagnosed or has other health issues that might otherwise mask the effects, a service animal might be required/needed.

Edited by Kevin T Brown