Two dogs in a stroller on Sillouette

jayoldschool

You sort of answered your own question: Your son has been diabetic for 20 years and can easily recognize the symptoms. For someone who is newly diagnosed or has other health issues that might otherwise mask the effects, a service animal might be required/needed.

In the UK EVERYONE is required and encouraged to take responsibility for their own health - newly diagnosed or not. In fact when my son was first diagnose at age 18 he tested every few hours, as in fact I found others in his situation did. In my experience, it is the newly diagnosed who check their condition more often until they become sensitive to it. At least that's how it works in the UK thank goodness. I have just checked and in fact 'emotional support' dogs are not recognised as being service animals in the UK either. Good to see common sense prevails in some areas of the world.

In the UK EVERYONE is required and encouraged to take responsibility for their own health - newly diagnosed or not. In fact when my son was first diagnose at age 18 he tested every few hours, as in fact I found others in his situation did. In my experience, it is the newly diagnosed who check their condition more often until they become sensitive to it. At least that's how it works in the UK thank goodness. I have just checked and in fact 'emotional support' dogs are not recognised as being service animals in the UK either. Good to see common sense prevails in some areas of the world.

A dog used to detect diabetes is not an emotional support animal, it is a legitemate Service Animal and is protected by the ADA. They can indeed be lifesavers, and I respectfully disagree with your comments concerning them. I am genuinely happy that your son is well-adjusted with his disease however, and many kudos for doing a great job in helping him.

I think almost everyone here agrees with the emotional support abuse - however the ADA is allowing Service Animal Status for Support Dogs assisting returning vets with PTST- so we should not lump those also legit Service Animals with the non-legit emotional support owners.

Edited by alexspepa

I have to agree with a previous poster... your remarks are at best insensitive, and at worst, disrepectful.

Individuals diagnosed with a disability where their life is truly improved with the help of an "emotional support animal" are truly greatful. I don't personally know anyone with PTSD, but I have seen numerous news reports on television where these individuals are able to go on with their daily life activities. This was not the case prior to them having the emotional support animal. Additionally, I grew up in a military family with a brother that served in forward deployed operations. Thankfully not suffering with PTSD... but should there ever be a need for someone suffering from PTSD to access this option to improve their life, I would like to think that these individuals are shown some respect and not treated like a liar.

For those travelers out there feigning (or faking) a need for an "emotional support animal", you should all be ashamed.

Edited by vulcan1971

I agree with you. But what makes me think they were a scam, is that there were TWO dogs, I can't imagine how a second dog would be medically necessary versus a single dog.
Maybe one dog needed his/her own emotional support dog. Now, I've heard of race horses needing a companion animal.

Maybe one dog needed his/her own emotional support dog. Now, I've heard of race horses needing a companion animal.

Or...maybe one was for emotional support and the other a service animal. I wonder if a service dog can be trained to offer emotional support to provide two functions?

We have a lot of service and emotional support dogs in the Bay Area, stores and restaurants and of course on public transportation and offices. I have friends and employees who have service dogs and know that they are trained to remain under the table, or at least lie at the owner's feet. I was told by one that at a restaurant, their service dog must remain still and if a bite of food drops, they must be trained to not pick it up / eat it. Wow.

My little Norfolk Terrier would never pass that test! :)

I agree with you. But what makes me think they were a scam, is that there were TWO dogs, I can't imagine how a second dog would be medically necessary versus a single dog.

Maybe the first dog needs a therapy dog!

I have to agree with a previous poster... your remarks are at best insensitive, and at worst, disrepectful.

Individuals diagnosed with a disability where their life is truly improved with the help of an "emotional support animal" are truly greatful. I don't personally know anyone with PTSD, but I have seen numerous news reports on television where these individuals are able to go on with their daily life activities. This was not the case prior to them having the emotional support animal. Additionally, I grew up in a military family with a brother that served in forward deployed operations. Thankfully not suffering with PTSD... but should there ever be a need for someone suffering from PTSD to access this option to improve their life, I would like to think that these individuals are shown some respect and not treated like a liar.

For those travelers out there feigning (or faking) a need for an "emotional support animal", you should all be ashamed.

We had a guy up here in NH who was a phony, using a dog as a service animal when there was no medical proof from any doctor. He caused total anguish to the restaurant owner who asked him to leave the dog home. All these "PC" idiots came crawling out of the woodwork demanding a boycott of his restaurant, without ever checking to see if in fact it was a service dog, which it was not! If there is NO documented evidence from a reliable Dr. Then we have a fraud! It's the fact that the dogs were dressed for formal night, that I cast doubt!

Absolutely agree. Someone with a legit service animal has handy the simple and correct answers to those 2 questions. They know its part of the law and rules that are affording them the service animal, really a "medical device".

Someone scamming will often get embarrassed, ticked off and fumble answering "what service does it perform".

You missed my point....the scammers know the answers to the two questions...but you an I can ask as many questions as we want...and that's where the scammers get very hostile. We are not required to follow any part of the Ada laws...we can ask anything we want.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had a guy up here in NH who was a phony, using a dog as a service animal when there was no medical proof from any doctor. He caused total anguish to the restaurant owner who asked him to leave the dog home. All these "PC" idiots came crawling out of the woodwork demanding a boycott of his restaurant, without ever checking to see if in fact it was a service dog, which it was not! If there is NO documented evidence from a reliable Dr. Then we have a fraud! It's the fact that the dogs were dressed for formal night, that I cast doubt!

Not sure why you decided to quote my post when you made your posting. Since I don't think what you had to say was in reference to anything I was stating, I'm not quite sure how to take what you're trying to say. Quite frankly, you could've just made your posting without quoting me at all.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by vulcan1971

Quote: 'If I have a legitimate service dog for something that's not so easily recognizable (say, because I'm a diabetic and the dog has been trained to sense when my blood sugar is low),........'

Sorry if I appear dumb... why would anyone need a service dog to tell them that their blood sugar is low/high??? My son is diabetic and has been for nigh on 20 years now. He SENSES when his sugars are wrong - he then CHECKS with a quick needle prick test, so why would anyone need a service animal for this???? Okay, perhaps someone elderly might not be on the ball so much, but what ever happened to taking responsibility for your own health? And don't even get me started on this 'emotional support' nonsense. 2 muts in a stroller?? In the words of John McEnroe - 'you cannot be serious'!

Congratulations on his good control of his diabetes. I've been a type 1 diabetic for 26 years now and I've got along fine without a dog as well, but dogs that can sense when a diabetic's sugars are high and/or low are a legitimate thing (http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887324001104578163423121970336) and are recognized support dogs under the ADA's 2011 Revised definition of Service Animals.

Not sure why you decided to quote my post when you made your posting. Since I don't think what you had to say was in reference to anything I was stating, I'm not quite sure how to take what you're trying to say. Quite frankly, you could've just made your posting without quoting me at all.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry, I think I "clicked" your icon by mistake.

Perhaps the UK should require everyone to be educated as well. Your understanding of diabetes is severly lacking. Get off your high horse and educate yourself for your son's sake.

I'm glad that your son is well controlled. For some, especially the longer you have diabetes, the harder it becomes to sense when your sugars are dropping. This happened to my mother, a diabetic of nearly 50 years, who can go from perfectly fine to unresponsive in about 20 minutes. Other factors can influence blood sugar levels dramatically, such as altitude on an airplane.

Growing up, we had a family dog who would wake my mother up when she was low and would not let her go back to sleep until she had recovered. The dog received no training for this, it was just something she did naturally. My mother is definitly healthier today because of that dog. I am so happy that diabetics now have this option, and am sure many lives are improved because these dogs are recognized.

But I think it's pretty safe to assume a dog in a stroller is NOT a service dog.

[quote name='keithm']We had a guy up here in NH who was a phony, using a dog as a service animal when there was no medical proof from any doctor. He caused total anguish to the restaurant owner who asked him to leave the dog home. All these "PC" idiots came crawling out of the woodwork demanding a boycott of his restaurant, without ever checking to see if in fact it was a service dog, which it was not! If there is NO documented evidence from a reliable Dr. Then we have a fraud! It's the fact that the dogs were dressed for formal night, that I cast doubt![/QUOTE]

I don't know how many times this has been in this thread but a hotel, restaurant, airline, cruiseline or anywhere a person is allowed into is not permitted by Federal law to ask for documentation.

[quote name='ghstudio']You missed my point....the scammers know the answers to the two questions...but you an I can ask as many questions as we want...and that's where the scammers get very hostile. We are not required to follow any part of the Ada laws...we can ask anything we want.

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/QUOTE]

GH is of course correct however you do not have to answer any of the questions from someone not associated with the hotel, restaurant or whatever.

[quote name='dkjretired']I don't know how many times this has been in this thread but a hotel, restaurant, airline, cruiseline or anywhere a person is allowed into is not permitted by Federal law to ask for documentation.[/QUOTE]
Personally, I feel that's a bunch of dung(PC,I'm sure)Please give all of us the proof of what you say is true. If it was "not" a recognized service animal in my rest. I'd ask them to leave. If they refuse to show documentation(Dr.note is fine)they would still be asked to leave. It's this "nanny" state of affairs that allows for abuses like this!

[quote name='keithm']Personally, I feel that's a bunch of dung(PC,I'm sure)Please give all of us the proof of what you say is true. If it was "not" a recognized service animal in my rest. I'd ask them to leave. If they refuse to show documentation(Dr.note is fine)they would still be asked to leave. It's this "nanny" state of affairs that allows for abuses like this![/quote]

If you do own a restaurant I hope you read up on the ADA regulations so you can legally and positively interact with your disabled customers, and recognize legitamate and fake Service Animals.

There is no such documentation you are speaking of...and maybe read the whole thread? Cle-Guy has very eloquently explained why the ADA regs are legislated as they are, and also explained why now they should now be amended to regulate and protect real Service Animals.

This post - [I]I don't know how many times this has been in this thread but a hotel, restaurant, airline, cruiseline or anywhere a person is allowed into is not permitted by Federal law to ask for documentation.[/I]..is absolutely correct. Two questions only by any owner, manager or employee of a business:

[I]Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. [/I]

This has been expanded to include Minature Horses by the way... Edited by alexspepa

[quote name='keithm']Personally, I feel that's a bunch of dung(PC,I'm sure)Please give all of us the proof of what you say is true. If it was "not" a recognized service animal in my rest. I'd ask them to leave. If they refuse to show documentation(Dr.note is fine)they would still be asked to leave. It's this "nanny" state of affairs that allows for abuses like this![/QUOTE]

If you would read the entire thread you would have seen this link posted at least a few times:

[url]http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm[/url]

You cannot ask them to show documentation and IF you do you have opened yourself up for a lawsuit based on American Disabilities Act.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]In case anyone is interested...
The Today show is featuring the training of a service dog to educate the public on how these wonderful dogs learn to do their jobs. There is a puppy that will be on their set for the next 18 months getting socialization training, etc., until he is ready for his formal schooling. His trainer said that he will be about 2 years old when he graduates and is placed with someone. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='keithm']Personally, I feel that's a bunch of dung(PC,I'm sure)Please give all of us the proof of what you say is true. If it was "not" a recognized service animal in my rest. I'd ask them to leave. If they refuse to show documentation(Dr.note is fine)they would still be asked to leave. It's this "nanny" state of affairs that allows for abuses like this![/QUOTE]

Wish that was my dog because I would then own the restaurant.

Personally, I don't see a problem with showing documentation if they would change the law. The documentation would have to be based on some standards otherwise it would be worthless. Edited by dkjretired