Two dogs in a stroller on Sillouette

jayoldschool

I also have horrible allergies to cats and dogs and I am getting so bothered with people bringing their dogs everywhere!! I am so against non service animals on board flights, cruises and hotel rooms .I always ask for a room that a dog has not been in .Completely cleaning all dander is so difficult.I really thought a cruise would be one place I could get away from the crazy animal madness!!!! :rolleyes:

A Child Psychiatrist told me that small dogs can privde great emotional support to children with autism. Perhaps the child really needed them. By the way many years ago a cruise had a special sailing that allowed dogs. People bitched for months after.

I was visiting friends in NJ, and knew already of the full-serve gas.

I was trying to help clean kitchen from dinner, and couldn't find the wall switch for the garbage disposal. they informed me that in NJ, disposals have to be installed that have a safety mechanism that won't start until the cap is placed over it.

In my 44 years on this earthen, until that day, I have never even covered a disposal, and still have all my fingers....

So people in NJ can't be trusted to fill a car with gas NOR keep their hands out of the garbage disposal I guess.... LOL

We have stayed in plenty of high end beach locales in NJ with disposals and don't think that caps are the starters. We think it's the start switch on the wall.

I was visiting friends in NJ, and knew already of the full-serve gas.

I was trying to help clean kitchen from dinner, and couldn't find the wall switch for the garbage disposal. they informed me that in NJ, disposals have to be installed that have a safety mechanism that won't start until the cap is placed over it.

In my 44 years on this earthen, until that day, I have never even covered a disposal, and still have all my fingers....

So people in NJ can't be trusted to fill a car with gas NOR keep their hands out of the garbage disposal I guess.... LOL

I think your friends were mistaken, I lived in Jersey most of my life in a couple of homes and the disposers had switches.

A Child Psychiatrist told me that small dogs can privde great emotional support to children with autism. Perhaps the child really needed them. By the way many years ago a cruise had a special sailing that allowed dogs. People bitched for months after.

Time for some clarification. The "son" was in his late 20s, wearing a fraternity reunion t shirt (on formal night), and the parents were in their late 40s/early 50s. While I am not a doctor, and not able to make a diagnosis, I am a certified teacher that has over a decade experience with students with special needs... and I can quickly say that the only special need this family had was to bring their dogs on vacation.

I think this is terrible. A true disservice to people with actual service dogs that rely on their service to improve their lives.

I have to honestly say, if this becomes a regular occurrence, I'm done with cruising. I don't need to share a morning coffee, pre-dinner martinis, or a fancy dinner with dogs in strollers.

Edited by jayoldschool

It is ridiculous and it is fraud. This is nothing more than a classic example of the over indulged, spoiled, self entitled attitude that has destroyed this country. Those two live beanie babies being pushed in a stroller are NOT service animals or support dogs. They are someone's pets who selfishly LIED about their role in order to bring them on a cruise. PERIOD.

I flew on a major airline last weekend and sat in the gate area with a woman with a ****zhu on a PILLOW. Yes you read that right a pillow. It had a bow in its special hairdo too. She went so far as to put in the special service dog vest she had bought on the internet. Someone questioned what "service" the dog performed. I loudly stated "helping her avoid paying a fee to fly her pet" which got some snickers and responses of agreement. Someone asked if it could be a service dog. I answered it was always possible but any dog that is sitting propped on a pillow like a deity certainly isn't performing any service I can see. "What about the vest?" We pulled up the exact same vest on Amazon and showed the picture to the inquisitor. Lying about the animal's purpose + vest on internet does not make you less of a liar.

Until we stand up to this garbage the frauds and the liars will continue to get away with it.

You are so right!!!

I missed that. Seems like another stupid politically correct mandate.

I kind of agree to some extent. However in this case back when it was done, I think there was actual good intent that they wanted the law to be broad, and make the lives of those with service animals simpler and hassle free, and to take the away the embarrassment of someone with a particular ailment or condition from having to explain their medical problems to a hostess at a hostess stand or a clerk at a hotel, keeping their private information private.

At that time, there was no real internet, and no way to really scam the system by paying a fake doctor online a fee to "write a prescription" for a service animal. There was no PTSD that has led the the recent inlet of people claiming emotional need for their pets (and no harm to those with actual PTSD who DO get some comfort from their animal, but PTSD is not the same thing as Empty Nest Syndrome...)

However times have changed dramatically....and we've been thru the 90's era of entitlement...and now perhaps the law needs modified somehow, but the only real way to put teeth in it is for the government to determine a single source way of registration.

Perhaps a fix would be that people with service animals need an officially issued Handicap Card for service animals like the DMV does for handicap parking....I would think that a vast majority of those with service animals, also have a H/C placard for parking....

Edited by cle-guy

Perhaps a fix would be that people with service animals need an officially issued Handicap Card for service animals like the DMV does for handicap parking....I would think that a vast majority of those with service animals, also have a H/C placard for parking....

I think there needs to be a national registry for service dogs. It could be a one time registration and the dog would get something to identify them; either a card, collar, jacket, etc. and would only cover those disabilities that the ADA acknowledges.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I think there needs to be a national registry for service dogs. It could be a one time registration and the dog would get something to identify them; either a card, collar, jacket, etc. and would only cover those disabilities that the ADA acknowledges.

That is a great idea.........

I "volunteer" to run the registry. Please start my annual budget at 30 million.

Exactly why I have a hard time wanting the government to make a special agency to do such things, why I think letting DMV handle it along with handicap parking permits. Make the service animal a check box on the H/C parking application and issue a tag annually, ike when getting annual dog licenses.

Maybe even make it part of the dog licensing. Not sure of all states require dog licenses, I know Ohio does, operated by each county.

Exactly why I have a hard time wanting the government to make a special agency to do such things, why I think letting DMV handle it along with handicap parking permits. Make the service animal a check box on the H/C parking application and issue a tag annually, ike when getting annual dog licenses.

Maybe even make it part of the dog licensing. Not sure of all states require dog licenses, I know Ohio does, operated by each county.

So. that would mean that a large amount of the residents who live in my community could check service dog when getting their handicap plates and bring their "pet" anywhere. There needs to be some control and accountability, otherwise we will be in the same position we are in today. The individual has to have a disability approved by the ADA in order to have a service dog, not just a handicap license plate and would have to prove it, not just check a box. Also, veterans who have PTSD don't have handicap plates, so how would their dogs get registered.

So. that would mean that a large amount of the residents who live in my community could check service dog when getting their handicap plates and bring their "pet" anywhere. There needs to be some control and accountability, otherwise we will be in the same position we are in today. The individual has to have a disability approved by the ADA in order to have a service dog, not just a handicap license plate and would have to prove it, not just check a box. Also, veterans who have PTSD don't have handicap plates, so how would their dogs get registered.

I'm saying that to get handicap plates/placard, there is already some sort of approval/documentation routine in place, on that application, add a service animal check box and allow the ADA laws to allow the government of each state to request appropriate doctor's verification of the need for the animal.

Those without H/C plates, could go thru the same process, via DMV, and instead of check both H/C placard AND service dog box, just ask for the service dog placard/license, and then submit appropriate documentation as may be required.

In my mind the DMV is trained to appropriately handle requests by those with special needs, (H/C plates etc) and can therefore use that already existing training to also handle service animal requests. I would think the vast majority of legitimate service dog owners also have access to H/C plates, and as you say there are some, PTSD as an example, that do not, therefore let's let those folks go thru the same screening process as those wanting H/C plates, but only to get a service animal license.

I wouldn't worry in theses instances about people with H/C plates taking advantage too much by adding a service animal, though it will happen, it would stop the doggies in a stroller people. And certainly there's a certain amount of fraud with regard to H/C plates too.

I'd say the doggie (or miniature horse) needs his picture taken and affixed to a State ID card when his collar license is issued, and anyone would then be able to request the dog's ID card, and not fear falling afoul of ADA regulations, which would need changed to accommodate the new process, this would ensure that people aren't letting random dogs use their license and the service animal would be with them anyway at the DMV, so no extra burden required there either.

Edited by cle-guy

Honestly I wonder sometimes why people need to be worried about what someone else has "gotten" away with or whether they are being treated the same as others. Dogs in the MDR can be distressing but having someone die because they ate some fish that their "comfort" dog would have alerted on is worse.

I doubt a single person complaining about this has never "scammed" something... and what if the person with the dogs in strollers or on a pillow really, really does do some good to the owner?

I'm sure if I saw the stroller dogs my wife and I would stare in amazement, whisper how we could get our dog onboard (I would never do it, traveling with a dog is not all that fun) and then tell our friends when we got home.... sigh....

I have a life and it's not bad, I don't need dogs in a stroller to make people talk about me... I do it all on my own - and a bit of rum!:D

Edited by bobsfamily

Honestly I wonder sometimes why people need to be worried about what someone else has "gotten" away with or whether they are being treated the same as others. Dogs in the MDR can be distressing but having someone die because they ate some fish that their "comfort" dog would have alerted on is worse.

I doubt a single person complaining about this has never "scammed" something... and what if the person with the dogs in strollers or on a pillow really, really does do some good to the owner?

I'm sure if I saw the stroller dogs my wife and I would stare in amazement, whisper how we could get our dog onboard (I would never do it, traveling with a dog is not all that fun) and then tell our friends when we got home.... sigh....

I have a life and it's not bad, I don't need dogs in a stroller to make people talk about me... I do it all on my own - and a bit of rum!:D

Perfect! Too many busy-bodies!

By the way, how are things over on the IOP? Have not been there in awhile. We are up in Summerville.

Perfect! Too many busy-bodies!

By the way, how are things over on the IOP? Have not been there in awhile. We are up in Summerville.

Except for the "frozen" sand, it's all good.... best time at the beach! Empty!

email me at rentabob at live dot com.. we can have some rum at the Windjammer!

I could really only get through part of these posts. So much speculation, so much ignorance, so many opinions, so many made up "factoids" - UGH!

There are so many disabilities that service animals can be trained to assist that are not readily visible. Seizure alerts, diabetic alerts, balance & mobility issues, dizziness, allergen alerts... Just because a disability is not apparent to you does not mean one does not exist.

Emotion support or therapy animals have proven to be a very successful with those individuals with autism & PTSD. Many of our returning soldiers have found peace & comfort with the aid of a service animal.

Are there cheaters - of course there are - just like in everything else. If you see a "service animal" who is acting out of control by all means bring it to the attention of the appropriate people.

I say kudos to Celebrity for embracing the broader definition of service animal and allowing people who otherwise would not be able to cruise the opportunity to participate in this great vacation. If this is such a huge issue for you there are other cruise lines that have much stricter guidelines for service animals.

Ten pages after the OP observation about two little Yorkies in a stroller with sightings at the Martini Bar and MDR and dressed in smart casual and formal wear depending upon the night!

Ths thread is better than the ones about smoking and MDR attire from years ago.

Still have a factual question? Was the stroller a regualr baby stroller or do they really have pet strollers for tiny dogs?

And which cruise lines have stricter guidelines than Celebrity?:confused:

I predict that this too will pass when folks start bringing their emotional therapy CATS on board...:D;)

Ten pages after the OP observation about two little Yorkies in a stroller with sightings at the Martini Bar and MDR and dressed in smart casual and formal wear depending upon the night!

Ths thread is better than the ones about smoking and MDR attire from years ago.

Still have a factual question? Was the stroller a regualr baby stroller or do they really have pet strollers for tiny dogs?

And which cruise lines have stricter guidelines than Celebrity?:confused:

I predict that this too will pass when folks start bringing their emotional therapy CATS on board...:D;)

Believe it or not, they actually have dog strollers.

I predict that one of these untrained poser dogs will bite someone and then it will hit the fan!!!

Yet again, reread this thread. Post #133 for example. The ADA Regulations actually PROHIBIT asking for documentation, and a company asking for it can be heavily fined for doing so.

No idea if anyone else posted this, but here's the link from Celebrity about their rules about service animals:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-service-animals?subtab=true

And, IMO, I think proof should be required that the animal is indeed a service animal. NOT what the ailment is, just the their animal is needed. A card of some sort. People parking in the handicapped spot in parking lots are required to have a sign in their car window or have license plates, having proof your animal is indeed a service animal is not a big deal.

Edited by Kevin T Brown