Is it Just me or is the Suite life not to Suite now!

Just curious why you would do in suite dining on formal night. :confused:

DH was in a full cast from shoulder to hand and couldn't get into his suit. So, we didn't want to impose our lack of formal attire on our table mates.

Having sailed on Sapphire Princess and Enchantment just before drydock, we found Enchantment in better repair.

Edited by knittinggirl

I agree with you 100% on #5.......we find that the CL is usually crowded with the toadstool D+ guests who suck down drinks like the end of the world is coming.....totally dominate the employees with trivial conversations and treat some like servants.......All we ever want is coffee and can't even access that machine half the time. We have moved on to all inclusive sailings but sometimes the kids want the bells and whistles of what RCL offers on the ships. I agree with you ckrobyn that RCL has let the Suites really slip. :)

We sail pretty much exclusively in suites, so this thread caught my attention.

I'm on the Freedom next month in an Owners Suite and I'm really hoping the suites are going to be refreshed during the dry dock taking place right now.

The suites like any other accommodation take a beating 365 days a year - not making excuses however. I feel if I am paying top dollar to cruise in a suite, attention to detail on the cruise lines part is paramount. Things like having to ask for toiletries daily is unacceptable in my opinion.

We sailed in the Royal Suite last February on the Adventure, and while we loved the space (it's huge!) we were disappointed that many of the "features" of this special suite were not in working order. Our trip was not ruined, but I was surprised that even the most expensive suite on the ship was neglected.

I agree completely with Patti about the Concierge - it is hit or miss sometimes. On my Explorer cruise in November 2013 we had a fantastic and attentive Concierge - he couldn't do enough for us (even though we really didn't ask for anything!) and then we board the Adventure a few months later in the Royal Suite and the Concierge really didn't reach out to us at all. I had planned a party for about 40 people in the suite and was basically left to do it all myself....

Hello, not trying to take over the thread, but we are on FOS in OS 1340 in a few months and have heard some good rumors about what will happen in dry dock. Could you please write a review when you get back ? We heard the DL and CL were moving and no more Portifino's ! Thanks

We were 3 in an OS on the Vision in 2014.

The balcony only had lounges and straight chairs for 2. And a very small cocktail table. The OS balcony is huge. We asked for a third straight chair and a larger table so we could eat outside.

We asked the Concierge, housekeeping and the desk--we were told that none were available!!

We also had to ask for shampoo, etc.

Our cabin "done" twice a day, but never saw the attedant in-between.

The Cl very overcrowded

It was a very large cabin and balcony, but not much of a Suite experience

All of the stateroom attendants, suites or otherwise, have scheduled work hours and should tell you what those hours are. if you need something outside those times, at least on some ships when you call Guest Services or Housekeeping; they will know that you're in a suite. Some years ago I was in an OS on Radiance and a friend in a D-1 had some issues with her cabin. Her calls to Housekeeping were never answered, so I had her call from my cabin and they answered on the second ring.

We have never been regular full suite dwellers - we'll do it for a special occasion or when there's a great price. We know what the RCI product is and how even at the top it's been diminished (no more Ghiardelli Chocolates at turndown, either) but find that we enjoy the onboard experience enough that we put up with it. And keep hoping that it will change for the better one of these days.

My husband and I sailed on the Indy last month in an OS and noticed RC is really going down hill in the Suites. Like I mentioned we were in an OS (not our first) and were very disappointed. There were numerous things I noticed that kind of put a damper on our vacation as we paid a lot of money to sail on this cruise. More than we have ever paid for an OS.

1. Pillows and mattress were old, soiled, and bloody. Husband and I were shocked that RC would use pillows that were obviously many years old. We had to ask our room steward for new ones.

2. Approximately 12 light bulbs on ceiling out. Curtain track was broken and hanging where you can separate the bed from the living room. We told our room steward right away and he never called maintenance. We finally took care of it ourselves on day 3.

3. No communication in the suite or from Concierge that there was a private beach on Labadee and that we could use it. Found out from our friends who are Diamond Plus and Pinnacles.

4. No free press on Formal Night.

5. Over crowding in CL and DL. Spent the whole time in the Viking Crown each night as it was impossible to get a seat in either lounge.

6. Suite was in subpar condition. Couches old and soiled and the suite did not look like it had been cleaned well in a long time.

7. Had to ask the room steward for shampoo, conditioner, soap each day. Is RC really losing that much money that they can't keep the suites fully stocked to last you a whole week? And, where did the slippers go?

8. The suite menu for room service has definitely dwindled. We were hosting a wine gathering in our room and there was really not much you could order for a party. On the Allure, we were able to order the artichoke dip and chips, wings, cheese and crackers and other items but the only thing we saw was the cheese plate. Our Concierge went out of the way when she heard we were having a party and when we got back to the room, our table was set with lots of goodies.

I could go on and on but just wanted to see if I am the only one who has noticed that the suite life is overpriced and the perks are going down way down hill.

Had an incredibly similar experience in a GS on Indy in November. We must have had about 20 or more calls/visits from maintenance in the 2 weeks and some issues remained outstanding when we finished the cruise. This was the 3rd time on the ship in a GS and we noticed the general upkeep and cleanliness was not what we expected. I had the Labadee issue you did when I was on Allure back in 2013 but didn't find out about it until after I had finished the cruise! Oh well, just another excuse to go back!

Ckrobyn - I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on Freedom post dry-dock too, especially as I have an OS booked on her for later this year!

We are going to sail in our first full suite aboard the serenade in March. I have been so looking forward to my splurge.

We are not very high maintenance cruisers. We have never asked the DL concierge for anything. But, I would be upset to see curtains hanging and that many lights missing in my cabin. :eek:

I hope there is a letter letting us know what is available. I have read the suite benefits listed on the website--but, so many of them say "on some ships or where available"

Denzil is the best!:D

don't get me wrong - I really try to like Denzil - however I think he flip flops - our first cruise with him he was distant and constantly on the phone or out of sight - the second cruise more attentive - the third - just recently - distant - and no conversation unless we initiated it - sorry to say - not thinking he is the best

I agree with you 100% on #5.......we find that the CL is usually crowded with the toadstool D+ guests who suck down drinks like the end of the world is coming.....totally dominate the employees with trivial conversations and treat some like servants.......All we ever want is coffee and can't even access that machine half the time. We have moved on to all inclusive sailings but sometimes the kids want the bells and whistles of what RCL offers on the ships. I agree with you ckrobyn that RCL has let the Suites really slip. :)

Toadstool. :confused:

Do you find name calling gets you further in life?

Have a nice day

I hope there is a letter letting us know what is available. I have read the suite benefits listed on the website--but, so many of them say "on some ships or where available"

You may even be contacted prior to sailing via e-mail by your concierge. If not I have always received a letter as to what is available on that ship.

Only once did I not receive e-mail contact from a concierge. What did happen which has never happened again was, no sooner did we open the door to our stateroom embarkation day did the doorbell ring. It was our concierge introducing herself. CKRobyn is reading this-she knows who I speak of. .....................yes- Deedee. :)

You may even be contacted prior to sailing via e-mail by your concierge. If not I have always received a letter as to what is available on that ship.

Only once did I not receive e-mail contact from a concierge. What did happen which has never happened again was, no sooner did we open the door to our stateroom embarkation day did the doorbell ring. It was our concierge introducing herself. CKRobyn is reading this-she knows who I speak of. .....................yes- Deedee. :)

We even got an email when staying in B&J Sweet

I agree with you. We just returned from our fourth Adventure cruise on an OS and were not wowed. Robyn, you should try Celebrity's suite life, even our children asked us to book another Celebrity cruise at the end of this one. Still, I'm loyal to Royal and booked the Oasis for next winter to try the new changes. We also booked another one with Celebrity to try their new suite dining room. We really liked Michael's Club on our Reflection cruise, after experiencing this lounge is really hard to adjust your expectations. ;)

Hey there! Happy New Year my friend :p

We may just try Celebrity at some point, but right now we really love our RC cruises! I just booked us on the Oasis as well for Feb 2016 - we are in a GS and really excited about finally trying this class of ship!

We are booked in a GS on the Independence this April. We have had suits in the past and are very low maintenance cruisers but we like the suite perks. As I have said, with NCL and Celebrity increasing their suite perks, RCI needs to up their game to keep me loyal.

I used to think the suites got more experienced and maybe the cream of the crop as far as cabin attendants. WRONG! Or at least I hope my experience in the Royal Family Suite last month was not an example of the cream of the crop!

On the doily sitting under the glass when we FIRST got into our cabins was a HUGE (as in several pieces) gob of ABC gum (already been chewed gum). The table outside was disgustingly dirty. Just creepy. As in "what is this crud?" And there in the chair was one of the grossest towels I'd ever seen.

When I wordlessly pointed to the gum, the steward PICKED IT UP and left the doily. I told him I didn't want that DOILY or the glass sitting on it. And he had equally pathetic reaction to the filthy table and towel. It DID get better (could it have gotten much worse?) but certainly never would I have called it "exemplary" service. And it did WOW me but in all the wrong ways.

I used to think the suites got more experienced and maybe the cream of the crop as far as cabin attendants. WRONG! Or at least I hope my experience in the Royal Family Suite last month was not an example of the cream of the crop!

On the doily sitting under the glass when we FIRST got into our cabins was a HUGE (as in several pieces) gob of ABC gum (already been chewed gum). The table outside was disgustingly dirty. Just creepy. As in "what is this crud?" And there in the chair was one of the grossest towels I'd ever seen.

When I wordlessly pointed to the gum, the steward PICKED IT UP and left the doily. I told him I didn't want that DOILY or the glass sitting on it. And he had equally pathetic reaction to the filthy table and towel. It DID get better (could it have gotten much worse?) but certainly never would I have called it "exemplary" service. And it did WOW me but in all the wrong ways.

BHT, what ship was this on?!

BHT, what ship was this on?!

Since she is bringing up "last month" it most have been on the Navigator. We were onboard at the same time as she was. We were on for two weeks, the first in the Royal Suite, and the second in cabin 8394, a Royal Family Suite.

The Royal Family suite needed some work, and was completed before the end of day 2.

We are in an OS next month on the Navigator. I know some of the things that are lacking in suites, but I truly believe that Michael Bayley will address these items, and that we will see some changes, for the better, come about over the next year.

He reworked Celebrity, and made it into a revenue generator, while improving the overall product. That is why Royal Caribbean, who has had a bean counter in the Presidency just a little too long, is having passengers wondering where the next cut will come, and how it will affect them.

Michael is more like Jack Williams, who was concerned with both the employees and the clientele.

The suite life is still a sweet life for us!!:);)

Rick

Yes, Jules. I was on the cruise with Rick and it was the Navigator on deck 8. Cabin 8694. I did love the extra room and we were able to book it w/ just the 2 of us so that was also nice. Just a bit disappointing. The again, the gum and the filthy table and towel would have disappointed me if I were in any cabin.

I do have to say that many on the Celebrity board feel that Bayley was the death of Celebrity. It was said "let him go and ruin RCI now" more than once on the Celebrity boards. Celebrity had always been my line of choice. I "earned my status" on RCI by virtue of my cruises on Celebrity. I only went back to RCI after a 10+ year hiatus as I became disenchanted with things on =X=.

Edited by bighairtexan

Yes, Jules. I was on the cruise with Rick and it was the Navigator on deck 8. Cabin 8694. I did love the extra room and we were able to book it w/ just the 2 of us so that was also nice. Just a bit disappointing. The again, the gum and the filthy table and towel would have disappointed me if I were in any cabin.

I do have to say that many on the Celebrity board feel that Bayley was the death of Celebrity. It was said "let him go and ruin RCI now" more than once on the Celebrity boards. Celebrity had always been my line of choice. I "earned my status" on RCI by virtue of my cruises on Celebrity. I only went back to RCI after a 10+ year hiatus as I became disenchanted with things on =X=.

The sad thing about the Royal Family Suite......is the name. It has the interior of a JS in the master, and an E-2 for the second bedroom/bath. The living/dining area is not well laid out.

There is nothing fancy about a RFS, except maybe the price.

Sharon, it was a pleasure meeting you at the M&M party!

Rick

We have been cruising more in the last few years and plan to continue. We love Royal and have been in OV balcony which has been adequate for us. We have been considering switching to suites for the extra room and perks, but now we are not sure it is worth the extra cost....

Hmm. We usually only holiday once per year so this time have splurged on a GS on Radiance. We've previously cruised Radiance in JS's and loved them with no issues. It's a 16 night cruise this time so if the Suite has issues I'm going to be a little disappointed. It's 3 years since Radiances last refurb so could be a little wear and tear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We sail exclusively in a GS, and just like a previous poster said it gets used and abused 365 days a year.

Add to that the fact it is no secret that RCI has cut WAY back on the room stewards. One apologized to me on the first day informing me where he is now responsible for double the rooms as he used to be.

We hardly use the CL, overcrowded and sometimes a Zoo.

Perks for suites are far a few between. Reserved seating here and there, but that's about all we take advantage of. (and access to barefoot beach)

We have had mauntence issues just about every cruise, most small and annoying like the sliding light switches not working, or balcony furniture covered in paint spots.

We stay in a GS for one simple reason...the room, the closet space, the bathroom...it is more in keeping with a hotel room than a stateroom.

But again, anyone who has cruise consistently with RCI can see the cut backs that have taken place over the years...and it's the little things here and there that eventually, you have to sit back and look at the entire Forrest.

But it's all about the bottom line. It's a big business with the sole purpose to make a profit. And raising rates is the last thing they want to do. So you have to cut costs.