Is it Just me or is the Suite life not to Suite now!

My husband and I sailed on the Indy last month in an OS and noticed RC is really going down hill in the Suites. Like I mentioned we were in an OS (not our first) and were very disappointed. There were numerous things I noticed that kind of put a damper on our vacation as we paid a lot of money to sail on this cruise. More than we have ever paid for an OS.

1. Pillows and mattress were old, soiled, and bloody. Husband and I were shocked that RC would use pillows that were obviously many years old. We had to ask our room steward for new ones.

2. Approximately 12 light bulbs on ceiling out. Curtain track was broken and hanging where you can separate the bed from the living room. We told our room steward right away and he never called maintenance. We finally took care of it ourselves on day 3.

3. No communication in the suite or from Concierge that there was a private beach on Labadee and that we could use it. Found out from our friends who are Diamond Plus and Pinnacles.

4. No free press on Formal Night.

5. Over crowding in CL and DL. Spent the whole time in the Viking Crown each night as it was impossible to get a seat in either lounge.

6. Suite was in subpar condition. Couches old and soiled and the suite did not look like it had been cleaned well in a long time.

7. Had to ask the room steward for shampoo, conditioner, soap each day. Is RC really losing that much money that they can't keep the suites fully stocked to last you a whole week? And, where did the slippers go?

8. The suite menu for room service has definitely dwindled. We were hosting a wine gathering in our room and there was really not much you could order for a party. On the Allure, we were able to order the artichoke dip and chips, wings, cheese and crackers and other items but the only thing we saw was the cheese plate. Our Concierge went out of the way when she heard we were having a party and when we got back to the room, our table was set with lots of goodies.

I could go on and on but just wanted to see if I am the only one who has noticed that the suite life is overpriced and the perks are going down way down hill.

Indy is about to go through a refurb. While not excusable, that may be the reason for the general room condition.

The condition of the couch sounds similar to what I saw on Explorer 2 weeks ago (regular balcony room), which is also about to go through a refurb.

I know that they will replace the bedding if there are issues, that seems common.

The unfortunate part is that not all ship's staff and crew treat suite guests in the same way. What you experienced on one ship doesn't necessarily mean that you will experience the same treatment on another ship let alone the same treatment on the same ship if you return.

Possibly an email to mbayley@rccl.com President and CEO of RCI, would be in order.

The unfortunate part is that not all ship's staff and crew treat suite guests in the same way. What you experienced on one ship doesn't necessarily mean that you will experience the same treatment on another ship let alone the same treatment on the same ship if you return.

Possibly an email to mbayley@rccl.com President and CEO of RCI, would be in order.

Thank you for pointing that out. We are also booked in suites for the Freedom and Jewel this year. We had great suite experiences on the Allure and Liberty! I am hopeful now that we will enjoy our suites on those ships!

We sail pretty much exclusively in suites, so this thread caught my attention.

I'm on the Freedom next month in an Owners Suite and I'm really hoping the suites are going to be refreshed during the dry dock taking place right now.

The suites like any other accommodation take a beating 365 days a year - not making excuses however. I feel if I am paying top dollar to cruise in a suite, attention to detail on the cruise lines part is paramount. Things like having to ask for toiletries daily is unacceptable in my opinion.

We sailed in the Royal Suite last February on the Adventure, and while we loved the space (it's huge!) we were disappointed that many of the "features" of this special suite were not in working order. Our trip was not ruined, but I was surprised that even the most expensive suite on the ship was neglected.

I agree completely with Patti about the Concierge - it is hit or miss sometimes. On my Explorer cruise in November 2013 we had a fantastic and attentive Concierge - he couldn't do enough for us (even though we really didn't ask for anything!) and then we board the Adventure a few months later in the Royal Suite and the Concierge really didn't reach out to us at all. I had planned a party for about 40 people in the suite and was basically left to do it all myself....

I'm on the Freedom next month in an Owners Suite and I'm really hoping the suites are going to be refreshed during the dry dock taking place right now.

The suites like any other accommodation take a beating 365 days a year - not making excuses however. I feel if I am paying top dollar to cruise in a suite, attention to detail on the cruise lines part is paramount. Things like having to ask for toiletries daily is unacceptable in my opinion.

We sailed in the Royal Suite last February on the Adventure, and while we loved the space (it's huge!) we were disappointed that many of the "features" of this special suite were not in working order. Our trip was not ruined, but I was surprised that even the most expensive suite on the ship was neglected.

I agree completely with Patti about the Concierge - it is hit or miss sometimes. On my Explorer cruise in November 2013 we had a fantastic and attentive Concierge - he couldn't do enough for us (even though we really didn't ask for anything!) and then we board the Adventure a few months later in the Royal Suite and the Concierge really didn't reach out to us at all. I had planned a party for about 40 people in the suite and was basically left to do it all myself....

Denzil is the best!:D

Indy is about to go through a refurb. While not excusable, that may be the reason for the general room condition.

The condition of the couch sounds similar to what I saw on Explorer 2 weeks ago (regular balcony room), which is also about to go through a refurb.

I know that they will replace the bedding if there are issues, that seems common.

So, I'm curious. Just when is Independence of the Seas going thru refurb? My research on here shows it was in 2013. RCL's site says it is newly refurbished (not sure how accurate they can be).

Since I'm going on her in 9 months, and don't want to immediately precede or follow a drydock, I'm need to know if I need to reschedule.

Thanks.

So, I'm curious. Just when is Independence of the Seas going thru refurb? My research on here shows it was in 2013. RCL's site says it is newly refurbished (not sure how accurate they can be).

Since I'm going on her in 9 months, and don't want to immediately precede or follow a drydock, I'm need to know if I need to reschedule.

Thanks.

You are probably safe until 2018. The dry docks usually occur every 5 years.

I would love it if you could report back after your FOS trip. We have our first OS on Freedom booked for September.

Although most ships are cutting back on amenities for all class of cabins, I find it all depends on each individual line ship and cabin class. Suites are no longer really worth the difference in price most of the time. It is a gamble.

Although most ships are cutting back on amenities for all class of cabins, I find it all depends on each individual line ship and cabin class. Suites are no longer really worth the difference in price most of the time. It is a gamble.

I think you're right. Perhaps we should just save our money and do JS from now on.

Our Grand Suite experience on Grandeur was mixed. We hated the sofa and side chairs. Very little back support. Also the TV was placed in the corner of the room, so you had to twist your head to see it from the sofa. We liked the furniture in the JS better!

Our in-suite dining was slow, and we ordered the tenderloin on formal night and found it tough, overcooked and full of gristle.

We tried some of the special items for breakfast and didn't receive them because we ordered before normal dining room hours.

We didn't have any problem getting toiletries replenished, but we didn't remove them daily either.

Our concierge was wonderful. He contacted us via email the week before our cruise, and sent us a bottle of wine mid-cruise.

I think the OP had a poor cabin steward. It's too bad we either prepay our gratuities or have them auto deducted. In the old days, they had suggested amounts for cabin steward, head waiter, waiter and assistant waiter. So, we could pay one more and a poor proformer less. But for us, we've never had a desire to pay them any less than the suggested amount. But with the reviews I've read on the Quantum, I'm wondering why I should be paying the same gratuities there as we do on the other ships when they don't have head waiters and assistant waiters, combined with poor service in the windjammer.

As someone who does also sail in suites, Royal has not been nailing this service for quite some time now. With the introduction of 'The Haven' on NCL, this has really forced themselves to look in the mirror. I'm hoping the changes to Oasis, which are very close to the new NCL ships, spill over to the rest of the fleet or it truly is not worth the price considering what NCL does offer.

I would love it if you could report back after your FOS trip. We have our first OS on Freedom booked for September.

Of course, no problem! I have honestly adjusted my expectations of the suites since my adventure in the RS on the Adventure!:rolleyes:

Suites are most definitely more expensive, but our family really enjoys the space that the suites afford. I know what I am paying and I accept it. I have learned to temper my expectations and I am not disappointed. I know in advance that there will probably be a stain or two on the carpet, the drapes may be frayed around the edges....etc, etc. I have stopped getting annoyed at these details and just accept that Royal Caribbean doesn't seem to feel they have an obligation to maintain their most expensive staterooms. We all have choices - I still choose to book suites in spite of the above.

It is my opinion that ALL classes of staterooms should be clean with things in working order. Call me AR, (many people do) but if I had paid HUGE bucks for an owners suite, just walking in and seeing drapery sagging off of the rod and close to a dozen ceiling bulbs (!!!!!) burnt out would likely have sent me over the edge.

I realize that things happen, bulbs burn out, etc., but all of the things wrong with this pricey suite didn't just happen the day before you arrived and should have been taken car of as they happened.

Rant over.

Our Grand Suite experience on Grandeur was mixed. We hated the sofa and side chairs. Very little back support. Also the TV was placed in the corner of the room, so you had to twist your head to see it from the sofa. We liked the furniture in the JS better!

Our in-suite dining was slow, and we ordered the tenderloin on formal night and found it tough, overcooked and full of gristle.

We tried some of the special items for breakfast and didn't receive them because we ordered before normal dining room hours.

We didn't have any problem getting toiletries replenished, but we didn't remove them daily either.

Our concierge was wonderful. He contacted us via email the week before our cruise, and sent us a bottle of wine mid-cruise.

I think the OP had a poor cabin steward. It's too bad we either prepay our gratuities or have them auto deducted. In the old days, they had suggested amounts for cabin steward, head waiter, waiter and assistant waiter. So, we could pay one more and a poor proformer less. But for us, we've never had a desire to pay them any less than the suggested amount. But with the reviews I've read on the Quantum, I'm wondering why I should be paying the same gratuities there as we do on the other ships when they don't have head waiters and assistant waiters, combined with poor service in the windjammer.

Just curious why you would do in suite dining on formal night. :confused:

Of course, no problem! I have honestly adjusted my expectations of the suites since my adventure in the RS on the Adventure!:rolleyes:

I agree with you. We just returned from our fourth Adventure cruise on an OS and were not wowed. Robyn, you should try Celebrity's suite life, even our children asked us to book another Celebrity cruise at the end of this one. Still, I'm loyal to Royal and booked the Oasis for next winter to try the new changes. We also booked another one with Celebrity to try their new suite dining room. We really liked Michael's Club on our Reflection cruise, after experiencing this lounge is really hard to adjust your expectations. ;)

Just curious why you would do in suite dining on formal night. :confused:

We've done that before. Sometimes you are just exhausted from the day and don't want to get dressed up and sit through dinner but still want to enjoy the food. We totally enjoyed just a dinner for us in our cabin.

It appears RCI is really working on this issue.

The upgrades on Oasis and Quantum class are substantial. The addition of the Coastal Kitchen is a fantastic perk. The benefits associated with the suite lounge on Oasis were truly an upgrade in service for RCI.

The problem then lies that this all becomes ship specific.

I have been on Vision for 5 sailings since her refurbishment in Cadiz and the only staterooms that were totally re-done were the suites. Our OS was amazing, the GS was great and I love those aft JS's. The suite and gold card dining section for breakfast and lunch was greatly appreciated and enhanced our Vision experience.

The suite toiletries has never been an issue for us and they even have a designated suite amenity holder that has always been replenished daily on my sailings.

One has to be pro-active to take advantage of the suite perks in general. Formal night pressing requires a phone call to housekeeping and it is handled directly.

On ships that call on Labadee weekly, while the Concierge can assist in getting a booking for a cabana, the benefit of the private suite (gold card) beach should be stated in the welcome letter in the suite upon arrival. I think the separate barbecue for suite guests served there has been eliminated, though.

We have always had a letter in the cabin defining all suite perks in the same folder that is updated daily with the menus and occasionally an email prior to the sailing from the Concierge.

It seems that a lot of attention is given to fully refurbishing the suites with every dry-dock and hopefully Freedom and Explorer among others will have completely re-done suites as well soon.

Edited by MADflyer

We were 3 in an OS on the Vision in 2014.

The balcony only had lounges and straight chairs for 2. And a very small cocktail table. The OS balcony is huge. We asked for a third straight chair and a larger table so we could eat outside.

We asked the Concierge, housekeeping and the desk--we were told that none were available!!

We also had to ask for shampoo, etc.

Our cabin "done" twice a day, but never saw the attedant in-between.

The Cl very overcrowded

It was a very large cabin and balcony, but not much of a Suite experience