Kevin Sheehan Resigns

trfccruiser

I thought it was silly to re-name all the bars with a person’s name in the company to begin with. Why not call it the Red Lion Pub or something like that and keep it without a name. Now to change it will cost more money and we know that NCL will not do that in the near future. Maybe Kevin wanted his legacy to live on in the ships long after he resigned? Now his legacy will be on almost ALL of the NCL fleet.

I, personally, saw nothing wrong with the Blue Lagoon on the older ships as the late night menu was far better than the late night menu in O’Sheehans. I was dreading the day Sheehan would change the older ships over and now he has and re-done the entire area all for the sake of driving revenues. It’s not the first time he touched the older ships for the sake of revenues either (adding suites to the Dawn and Star to name just another).

Was the company better off under his management watch, yes? Could the company have turned itself around without being so in-your-face about needing revenue? TOTALLY!

I wish him luck on whatever caused him to leave and all future endeavors but I’m VERY excited for change at NCL. :D

I don't think most people even pay attention to that. When I first got on the Breakaway, I just thought, "cool, the boat has an Irish pub". I think it may have been after about the tenth time of watching the Undercover Boss episode in the cabin that I made the connection that it was named after the CEO.

The higher fares have already begun. We have never sailed anyone but NCL, but I think that that is about to change. Money has never been a big object before, but some of the prices are now equal to Oceania prices. We have in the past sailed in suites and are booked into one for Alaska in June - $8,000 for seven days (penthouse on Jewel). There is another line that has a 14 day cruise in a suite for $7,000, now which one is the best bang for the buck? Just sayin.

We don't sail NCL because the are inexpensive, but because we like the product. We'll just have to play the wait and see game.

To be fair I am booked in aft penthouse suite on Jade in May. Less than $7500 for 14 nights; so it can't be all that high in price

Edited by AF-1

To be fair I am booked in aft penthouse suite on Jade in May. Less than $7500 for 14 nights; so it can't be all that high in price

Did you book that cruise before last fall? Looking at the web site now it will cost over $6000 for that grade of cabin now for only 7 days and over $11K for it for the 14 day b2b.

My opinion:

Keven Sheehan ''leaving immediately'' and Frank DelRio taking over '' immediately'' is totally contrary to normal due process in reorganisation and execution of ''adjustment'' in top management position.

This scenario stunned me. While Mr DelRio is a huge force in the industry, one ought to remember Kevin brought NCL back to life, and at the place it is today, not bad at all ...This sudden move tastes and smells like ''house cleaning''.

If health issues were indeed a consideration as far as Kevin or his family are concerned, the ''move'' would have been executed in a much different manner, without Mr.Sheehan or DelRio necessarily having to disclose anything impertinent.

Ever heard of the '' XXX is leaving our company to pursue other avenues'' approach ? normally followed by'' Mr XXX will stay on board until mmm/day/year to assist during the transition'' scene.?

I wish both Frank and Kevin good luck.

But if I were a long tenured NCL folk, during the revival era, I'd be looking over my shoulder....on the lookout for some heavyweight Prestige folks entering the room....

Hopefully, this will not slow down NCL's very good progression so far.

My opinion only.

YMMV

If so, he won't be booking NCL. He and his bean counters managed to screw things up pretty bad.

Yep, took a company that was bleeding money out of every orifice and turned it into a company that makes a profit while adding ships to the line. Most company's would love to have things screwed up like that:).

My opinion:

Keven Sheehan ''leaving immediately'' and Frank DelRio taking over '' immediately'' is totally contrary to normal due process in reorganisation and execution of ''adjustment'' in top management position.

This scenario stunned me. While Mr DelRio is a huge force in the industry, one ought to remember Kevin brought NCL back to life, and at the place it is today, not bad at all ...This sudden move tastes and smells like ''house cleaning''.

NCL (the cruise line) has had new CEO (Drew Madsen) since October. This change only applies to the holding/parent company NCLH. There has been several months of time to handle the president change in the cruise line part of the company. Also the vice president of NCL has been there for a long time so it's not like the whole management team has been shuffled.

Did you book that cruise before last fall? Looking at the web site now it will cost over $6000 for that grade of cabin now for only 7 days and over $11K for it for the 14 day b2b.

I booked it Mar of last year; when NCL was offering $300 OBC to book a suite.

My opinion:

If health issues were indeed a consideration as far as Kevin or his family are concerned, the ''move'' would have been executed in a much different manner, without Mr.Sheehan or DelRio necessarily having to disclose anything impertinent.

Ever heard of the '' XXX is leaving our company to pursue other avenues'' approach ? normally followed by'' Mr XXX will stay on board until mmm/day/year to assist during the transition'' scene.?

But if I were a long tenured NCL folk, during the revival era, I'd be looking over my shoulder....on the lookout for some heavyweight Prestige folks entering the room....

My opinion only.

YMMV

At the very end of the Sea-Trade Insider article http://www.seatrade-insider.com where it is the lead story, there is an update regarding the reason behind Kevin Sheehan's abrupt departure:

"Following a conversation with Del Rio and Beck, Wells Fargo said it appears Sheehan's decision to leave was not led by Apollo Management, indicative of a rift within the executive team related to hires, strategic direction or cost approach with the Prestige integration. Nor was it related to the issue of no executive management on the board or a developing problem with the financial fundamentals.

'We were led to believe that Sheehan had something from a personal perspective that had changed in the last three months, leading to his decision to leave,' Conder said in an update to the brokerage's earlier note."

At the very end of the Sea-Trade Insider article http://www.seatrade-insider.com where it is the lead story, there is an update regarding the reason behind Kevin Sheehan's abrupt departure:

"Following a conversation with Del Rio and Beck, Wells Fargo said it appears Sheehan's decision to leave was not led by Apollo Management, indicative of a rift within the executive team related to hires, strategic direction or cost approach with the Prestige integration. Nor was it related to the issue of no executive management on the board or a developing problem with the financial fundamentals.

'We were led to believe that Sheehan had something from a personal perspective that had changed in the last three months, leading to his decision to leave,' Conder said in an update to the brokerage's earlier note."

If it was heath/personal issues then the press release would have likely said this.

Apollo does own a large chunk of NCL and therefore they do have sway. It would be interesting to see if Kamali returns as he was a Del Rio hire.

I am late to this party, but I consider Frank Del Rio (FDR) the best in the business. He takes a hands on approach to every detail and really cares about quality and customer service. What other CEO posts and answers passengers' concerns on CruiseCritic? He has brought some of the best food at sea to Oceania. We have never sailed on NCL, mostly Crystal and Oceania, but as the only cruise line that sails from Houston is NCL, after Frank takes over, I would like to give it a try.:)

I am late to this party, but I consider Frank Del Rio (FDR) the best in the business. He takes a hands on approach to every detail and really cares about quality and customer service. What other CEO posts and answers passengers' concerns on CruiseCritic? He has brought some of the best food at sea to Oceania. We have never sailed on NCL, mostly Crystal and Oceania, but as the only cruise line that sails from Houston is NCL, after Frank takes over, I would like to give it a try.:)

IMHO Crystal and Oceania are a totally different cruise product than NCL; time will tell if this is a good choice. I realize there will be changes, good or bad will depend on one's personal opinion.

I wish Kevin the best; I for one appreciated his leadership style obvious by the success of NCL and his availability to his customers. :)

NCL stock plummeted over 3 percentage points on the announcement of Kevin Sheehan's departure. Makes sense. Kevin Sheehan brought some hugely dynamic and edgy ideas to the cruise industry. He made NCL a distinctive brand. Have serious doubts that Di Rio has either the inclination or the ability to follow suit.

His statements say he will leave Oceania and Regent as is, but will be making changes to NCL which he feels are "improvements". I sailed Regent once. It was boring and uptight. It has its devotees to be sure, but if Di Rio tries to snotisize NCL, then the cruise line will be back in the red as is was when Kevin Sheehan joined and turned it around.

I met Kevin Sheehan on the Breakaway' s inaugural transatlantic cruise. He was so gracious to everyone who approached him. I appreciate his leadership and innovation. My husband always says he had to pry me way from Disney with a crowbar but really the NCL product sold itself. Best wishes to him and his family.

Kinda bummed to hear it. I liked his casual demeanor. I hope Del Rio keeps the New York ports as year-round operations.

NCL has "owned" NYC since before Mr. Sheehan arrived on the scene....

Indeed, they were the ones that brought back all-year-round cruising to NY back around 2003 or 4, with the NY themed Dawn. Prior to that, from the time of the QE2's departure for its World Cruise around New Year's, until its return in mid-April, there were no cruise ships in NY. This pattern lasted around thirty years, until NCL brought back winter cruising.

NCL was so successful, that they added a second all-year-round ship. First the Spirit, then in subsequent years, the Jewel, the Gem, and now the Breakaway, with some other's on a seasonal basis.

Other lines tried to copy, but failed. Only RCI currently competes from NY area ports all winter with one ship....

My opinion:

My opinion only.

YMMV

Interesting....

There are several cases of the "tail wagging the dog", so-to-speak in mergers and acquisitions. Where management of the sometimes, smaller acquired company takes over management of the larger...a recent example in transportation is that of USAir's management taking over the new American Airlines....

If so, he won't be booking NCL. He and his bean counters managed to screw things up pretty bad.

I highly disagree. I truly believe he turned NCL around. I could not stand this cruise line until the last few years. Now, it really is my favorite. About the only area that needs help, IMO, is the main dining room food. All else is far, far better than it was before Kevin Sheehan took the reins. I will miss what he has done and can only hope that Mr Del Rio continues on a positive path.