Not a good start

ConnCruise

Hi Everyone,

We're sailing on Equinox on Friday, and also received an email yesterday.

This subject is a tough one, with few answers that will appeal to all. In some ways, I like the idea of staggered boarding, and I applaud what Celebrity is trying to accomplish - in theory. On the other hand, the current plan simply does not work as currently offered - especially as most of us have made travel arrangements, and it's too late to make changes. Perhaps this could work, if more notice was given, but that too, is an unknown.

Another issue... most everyone wants to get onboard as early as possible. Can you blame anyone for that ? :) Under this scenario, if it were firm boarding times, I could see many guests being unhappy with later than anticipated boarding, and this can set the tone for their cruise. I certainly would not want to see that happen.

Perhaps Celebrity could ask for late boarding volunteers, immediately after final payment is made, and offer a choice of perks for boarding after 1:30 or 2 pm. Perhaps a choice of 1 item from a list. As an example: a discount for 1 specialty dining, or 30 additional internet minutes, or 5 captains club points. With an enticement, I bet they'd get plenty of volunteers !

For those who are worried about waiting in the terminal - from what I'm hearing... although the email sounds like a firm "rule", it does not appear to be the case at this point. I'm hearing that guests may board at their convenience.

Hope this is helpful !

Andy;

Please tell us how it goes for you on Friday. And also please see if you can post MDR menus.

Many Thanks.

Edited by Aloha 1

Hi Everyone,

We're sailing on Equinox on Friday, and also received an email yesterday.

This subject is a tough one, with few answers that will appeal to all. In some ways, I like the idea of staggered boarding, and I applaud what Celebrity is trying to accomplish - in theory. On the other hand, the current plan simply does not work as currently offered - especially as most of us have made travel arrangements, and it's too late to make changes. Perhaps this could work, if more notice was given, but that too, is an unknown.

Another issue... most everyone wants to get onboard as early as possible. Can you blame anyone for that ? :) Under this scenario, if it were firm boarding times, I could see many guests being unhappy with later than anticipated boarding, and this can set the tone for their cruise. I certainly would not want to see that happen.

Perhaps Celebrity could ask for late boarding volunteers, immediately after final payment is made, and offer a choice of perks for boarding after 1:30 or 2 pm. Perhaps a choice of 1 item from a list. As an example: a discount for 1 specialty dining, or 30 additional internet minutes, or 5 captains club points. With an enticement, I bet they'd get plenty of volunteers !

For those who are worried about waiting in the terminal - from what I'm hearing... although the email sounds like a firm "rule", it does not appear to be the case at this point. I'm hearing that guests may board at their convenience.

Hope this is helpful !

See how it goes. See what you think about this once onboard. See what anyone else on board may think.

Mostly though, Bon Voyage.

People who use the argument "My hotel makes me leave at 11 so I have no choice but board at noon", how do they handle a 3 or 4pm flight home when the hotel kicks them out.

Heck how do they handle things when Celebrity makes them leave ship by 9:30 am in San Juan, when lots of return flights don't depart till 3 pm.

Or the argument "I would have booked a later flight" as if most airports have flights leaving every hour on the hour for the ports.

All we're talking hiere is a process over 3-4 hours time. Moving thousands of people thru the chokepoints of the ports is a big ordeal, if all would participate it'd go far smoother for everyone.

You book a better flight. I don't buy the participation = smoother. I have yet to have a bad experience boarding. The lines have it down. I'll let other board at 3:00 if they wish.

See how it goes. See what you think about this once onboard. See what anyone else on board may think.

Mostly though, Bon Voyage.

Thank you. I will definitely keep an eye out, to see how it goes. Generally speaking, I'm extremely happy with Celebrity.... but the embark & disembark are always a source of apprehension, because I travel with an elderly parent. Of course, this is not a Celebrity specific issue, but I sure wish they would make a stronger effort to make the process at least somewhat easier, and more organized.

Keeping fingers crossed for Friday.... stay tuned !

Edited by Host Andy

Does anyone else find it ironic that some here feel it's OK to stay late at a hotel, even though they ask you to be out by a certain time; but it's not OK to arrive at the port at a time different than the cruise line requests? So it's OK to ignore the hotel guidelines but not the those of the cruise line?:confused::rolleyes:

I have another take on this. We have all bemoaned the fact that "preferred boarding" or whatever they call it, on CC and AQ doesn't mean anything in reality. If you look at the list of boarding times, it is obvious that the higher decks get the earliest times. So, for those to whom this is important, it can be an incentive to book a higher category cabin, OR maybe this is the start of a new profit center of paying an extra fee for "early boarding".

From a previous thread, I thought this was true. With higher priced cabins getting earlier boarding times. And in all honesty, that makes sense to me.

But from the OP's post below it looks like Deck 11, which is mostly Aqua and Concierge cabins, has the last boarding time. So I'm not sure of the reasoning around which decks board first.

Hello, this is Celebrity Cruises. We would like to provide you with important information regarding your sailing on January 25, 2015, onboard Celebrity Silhouette. To enhance your check-in and boarding experience, we ask that you arrive to the terminal based on your assigned decks. 12:00 to 12:30 PM = Deck 10; 12:30 to 1:00 PM = Deck 9; 1:00 to 1:30 PM = Deck 12 & Deck 6; 1:30 to 2:00 PM = Deck 8; 2:00 to 2:30 PM = Deck 7; 2:30 to 3:00 PM = Deck 11 & Deck 3. We invite our Suites and Zenith guests to arrive anytime between 11:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation, and look forward to welcoming you onboard the Celebrity Silhouette

Does anyone else find it ironic that some here feel it's OK to stay late at a hotel, even though they ask you to be out by a certain time; but it's not OK to arrive at the port at a time different than the cruise line requests? So it's OK to ignore the hotel guidelines but not the those of the cruise line?:confused::rolleyes:

Who said anything about ignoring hotel guidelines?

Late checkouts are often legitimally available at many hotels by prior arrangement with and sometimes without a fee.

In almost all circumstances normal full service hotels (particularly if they're part of a flight / hotel package deal) will allow you to stay for a reasonable amount of time (and they will store your luggage) until you need to leave to make your onward travel connection - up to 12 hours wouldn't be unusual if catching a late night flight.

If one is only on a cruise for a few days maybe those extra few hours are important, on a 2 week cruise perhaps less so. For my wife and I, when we sailed from Southampton for 2 weeks this summer (with 2 sea days at the start and end) we boarded at the suggested time and went straight to our cabin, ideal for us as lugging all our hand luggage around for hours, possibly sitting around in cold and damp weather didn't appeal to us, I don't think we really thought our holiday had started until the ship set sail and passed the piles of scrap metal and the oil refinery. Similarly, when the ship docked at Southampton we were some of the first off the ship (self disembarkation) at 6am - the sights, sounds and smells of Southampton docks have little appeal to us.

It seems that Celebrity asking people to turn up at staggered times is the Nudge Theory in practice - gradually getting people to change their behaviour hopefully avoiding the need to impose rules that then need to be enforced. The airlines ask that you wait in the lounge until your flight is called and then ask you to board by rows but this doesn't stop the ever present Gate Lice (the termed used by Frequent Flyers) from blocking the gate.

Edited by DYKWIA

Thank you. I will definitely keep an eye out, to see how it goes. Generally speaking, I'm extremely happy with Celebrity.... but the embark & disembark are always a source of apprehension, because I travel with an elderly parent. Of course, this is not a Celebrity specific issue, but I sure wish they would make a stronger effort to make the process at least somewhat easier, and more organized.

Keeping fingers crossed for Friday.... stay tuned !

Andy, you should not have any problems at PE on Friday since Equinox is using Terminal 18. You've probably been through it before and know it was built for the RCL behemoths. In my experiences it has been a breeze for embarkation when cruising any X ship.

BTW, they just completed a very convenient way to enter the port - From I-95 follow I-595 east bound and follow the PE exist signs taking you on the new overpasses - right to Eller Drive and Terminals. No more SR-84 or 17th Street Causeway traffic adventures. :D

Enjoy your cruise.

Mike

2MC

:eek:Wow! They had people in the hotel who were ready to throw you out if you didn't go through the door by 11:00?!? That is a Serious check-out time!:rolleyes:

They won't throw you out, but many will be very happy to charge you a fee for a late check-out. :)

Host Andy had a very interesting idea to put a carrot out there for those will to come later.

Cruise number 36 is coming up and we still want to get aboard as soon as possible. :)

When I filled in my online docs it asked for a mobile number in case there was an urgent matter Celebrity needed to contact us for. So if I am traveling abroad, am I going to get hit with charges for international texts and calls for this "urgent" matter?

You might want to read about using your phone abroad. You could end up with a sizable cell phone bill

Edited by TomBeckCruise

Personally I don't know what the problem is with this. They are obviously trying to make a hectic experience a more pleasant one. When we boarded in San Juan we just checked our luggage with the hotel concierge and enjoyed the morning/early afternoon sitting by the pool as suggested by the hotel staff. We boarded the ship at around 2 for an 8:30 sail away. The lines were gone so there was no waiting just checked in and walked on the ship.They were announcing that the rooms were ready as we walked on. Since Celebrity doesn't have the rooms ready until the afternoon I see no point in getting there at 11:00 and standing in line with a herd of passengers with their nose pressed against the door waiting to board. Then once you are on you have to shlep your carry on luggage around with you while try to get some food at the buffet. How is this fun? Now if you are flying to port on the same day then that's a different story.

From a previous thread, I thought this was true. With higher priced cabins getting earlier boarding times. And in all honesty, that makes sense to me.

But from the OP's post below it looks like Deck 11, which is mostly Aqua and Concierge cabins, has the last boarding time. So I'm not sure of the reasoning around which decks board first.

For our Nov Crusie on the Eclipse we were in AQ and it is deck 11. The notice we received was that AQ and CC arrive at noon. We were on deck 11. if you look at the layout of the ship most cabins on deck 11 are AQ or CC those that aren't are inside and they are not AQ or CC therefore those on deck 11 that are being referred to arrive last are those few inside cabins. Suites are also included in the early boarding.

happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Edited by miched

you really can't see the difference?

Thousands of people attempting to funnel into the ship in a very few hours...most of which want on the second that they open the ship for boarding........not much mystery here

you really can't see the difference?

Thousands of people attempting to funnel into the ship in a very few hours...most of which want on the second that they open the ship for boarding........not much mystery here

I don't see the difference either --- staying in the hotel past the posted check out time can be disruptive to their operations. They can't clean that room to prepare for the next guest, if you decide to stay without making prior arrangements. I'm sure the maids don't mind waiting to clean the room until the time comes that the ship says you may board. It is just rude.

Not much of a mystery to me. ;)

I don't see the difference either --- staying in the hotel past the posted check out time can be disruptive to their operations. They can't clean that room to prepare for the next guest, if you decide to stay without making prior arrangements. I'm sure the maids don't mind waiting to clean the room until the time comes that the ship says you may board. It is just rude.

Not much of a mystery to me. ;)

Having worked at Marriott Hotels, cleaned hundreds of rooms etc. myself, It's not much if any disruption to operations for late checkouts, unless a huge portion of guests check out late.

Housekeepers tend to get about 18 rooms to clean over an 8 hour shift. So any late check outs just get cleaned last on their shift. They work till 5 pm, so they have to clean 5-6 rooms between 3 and 5 pm. Those 5-6 can be those who asked for late check outs, which within this discussion, the latest checkout would be 1 or 2 pm to be boarded by 3.

If guests want to stay till 4 or later, that does become troublesome. But not wanting to stay till 1 or 2.

Having worked at Marriott Hotels, cleaned hundreds of rooms etc. myself, It's not much if any disruption to operations for late checkouts, unless a huge portion of guests check out late.

Housekeepers tend to get about 18 rooms to clean over an 8 hour shift. So any late check outs just get cleaned last on their shift. They work till 5 pm, so they have to clean 5-6 rooms between 3 and 5 pm. Those 5-6 can be those who asked for late check outs, which within this discussion, the latest checkout would be 1 or 2 pm to be boarded by 3.

If guests want to stay till 4 or later, that does become troublesome. But not wanting to stay till 1 or 2.

It has always made sense to me that obviously the housekeeping staff can't clean ALL the rooms at precisely checkout time, so what is the big deal with some people having late checkout? Some people leave really early, so start with those, and end with the late checkouts. Duh. Then why do hotels act like you are asking for the moon when you request late checkout? I don't ask that often but when I do, they act like they are doing me the greatest favor to let me stay an extra hour!!

OTOH they are generally happy to store my luggage, I rarely get any pushback with that. European hotels as well. We once asked a hotel in Pisa to store our luggage for four days--not a problem at all!! No charge, Madam. . .

My guess is that most people are too tight to consider having to tip the Concierge if they store luggage.

Us Brits are said to be poor tippers but we usually find that it is US guests who insist on bring their own luggage down from their room. We are more than willing to give a decent tip and receive incredible service from hotel concierge staff. Storing luggage at a hotel and using their facilities until it is time to go to the ship has never been a problem for us. Why would any hotel discourage additional spending in their bars and restaurants?

It has always made sense to me that obviously the housekeeping staff can't clean ALL the rooms at precisely checkout time, so what is the big deal with some people having late checkout? Some people leave really early, so start with those, and end with the late checkouts. Duh. Then why do hotels act like you are asking for the moon when you request late checkout? I don't ask that often but when I do, they act like they are doing me the greatest favor to let me stay an extra hour!!

OTOH they are generally happy to store my luggage, I rarely get any pushback with that. European hotels as well. We once asked a hotel in Pisa to store our luggage for four days--not a problem at all!! No charge, Madam. . .

Partly to let you know they are giving you a service. Marriott hotels has a policy that you just allow a stay over till 1 pm without question. After that it's hotel discretion and after 4 it's a half day charge. Not sure what other brands policy is, but Hilton brands have also always been this way to me. I often get 2 and 3 pm checkouts with no fee or hassle.

Storing luggage of course is their first choice, it's always best to have all the rooms empty, but late stays don't muck the works up like some here think it does.

As you say early morning departures, get cleaned, then mid day they clean the stay overs since people have left to the beach, shopping etc, then late day finish the late checkouts. It's a standard routine and a recurring pattern. It's also why hotels have check in at 3 or 4 pm, and sometimes hassle about early arrivals, though most do what they can to accommodate early arrivals, if they have a room, and there isn't a whole lobby of guests watching them give 1 person an early room while the others stare with fire in their eyes for not being the lucky chosen early checkin.

Edited by cle-guy

You might want to read about using your phone abroad. You could end up with a sizable cell phone bill

Actually I am quite familiar with using my phone abroad, and the charges related to that. I bring it for emergencies. When Celebrity asks for it in case of an "urgent" mater, I do not expect to get multiple calls and messages for recommended boarding times. I am fine with an email, but I don't want to incur expenses for such non urgent messages.

I think someone mentioned earlier -- San Juan is different from many ports. Lots of people fly in the day of the cruise, and it is a long way -- that's why S.J. cruises almost always leave in the evening. :)

Some people go to port cities (like Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Port Canavarl, Tampa, San Juan, New Orleans) on purpose for reasons other than going on a cruise. These are destinations in their own right. Some seem to get so focused on The Cruise that they forget to take advantage of the embarkation port opportunities. I prefer to board as late as possible so I can enjoy my day(s) at the departure point. I don't know yet what "as late as possible" means and I am grateful Celebrity gives me guidelines for when to board. I will still use my own judgment but I won't just willfully ignore their message. YMMV.

Some people go to port cities (like Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Port Canavarl, Tampa, San Juan, New Orleans) on purpose for reasons other than going on a cruise. These are destinations in their own right. Some seem to get so focused on The Cruise that they forget to take advantage of the embarkation port opportunities. I prefer to board as late as possible so I can enjoy my day(s) at the departure point. I don't know yet what "as late as possible" means and I am grateful Celebrity gives me guidelines for when to board. I will still use my own judgment but I won't just willfully ignore their message. YMMV.

Lol I feel that way in embarkation cities like Barcelona, always want to stay out as late as possible, after dropping off my luggage of course!