Silhouette healthy eating? First timer ?s

tchrchgo

I am a diamond with rccl but trying celebrity for the first time in April on the silhouette. After going from a size 16 to a 2 eating healthy and working out are a must even on vacation

A few questions for the health conscious celebrity experts:

1. Are healthy snacks available outside of meal time hours?

2. Does the main dining room offer healthful options? I had a very difficult time on royal getting extra servings of veggies and salad

3. How well equipped is the silhouette gym?

4. Has anyone used their personal trainers?

Thanks!

Let me first start my reply by congratulating you on maintaining! Not easy!

If you haven't booked, consider aqua class within enables you to dine in the most health conscious main dining area, Blu. The spa cafe serves very healthy breakfast and lunch.

The buffet has a wonderful salad bar, pasta to order section, carved meats and more.

The main dining room is more limited in term of healthy options but as an experienced healthy eater, you should be fine.

The best speciality restaurant is the Lawn club grill!! The healthiest please to eat but for a fee! All kinds of grill options with a fabulous salad bar. Located outside making for a special evening.

Enjoy!

1. Are healthy snacks available outside of meal time hours? Sure, both in the buffet and the aqua spa café in the Solarium

2. Does the main dining room offer healthful options? I had a very difficult time on royal getting extra servings of veggies and salad might want to think about sailing Aqua Class in the future and dining in Blu, which is not healthy ....... but healthy (er)

3. How well equipped is the silhouette gym? Good size yet can get crowded at peak times

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-restaurants-blu

You will be able to find choices in all restaurants on board. I have never had a problem eating healthy. We do love Blu, and usually eat dinners there. You can always find salads and fish on the menu in the MDR and restaurants, and the buffet always has a great salad bar. They gym is good, as stated, at prime times it is busy, but they have treadmills, bikes, step climbers and machines as well as free weights. Enjoy !!

Congrats and welcome to X.

1. Are healthy snacks available outside of meal time hours? Yes, but perhaps depends on what you refer to as "healthy". There were always veggies and such in the Oceanview Cafe (deck 14). My wife also loves the Aqua Spa cafe (Deck 12) but I don't recall what they have there outside of regular meal times. Great for healthy breakfasts and lunches.

2. Does the main dining room offer healthful options? I had a very difficult time on royal getting extra servings of veggies and salad. All you have to do is ask. When I find a side dish I like (or prefer) I've simply asked and if possible they have brought it to me. I've sometimes asked that one side dish be removed and replaced with a double order of veggies with no problem (even though the second order sometimes comes on it's own plate).

3. How well equipped is the silhouette gym? We find the gym very well equipped with the only issue being sometimes are busier than others and there may be a limited number of certain machines you want.

4. Has anyone used their personal trainers? Sorry, can't help you here. Celebrity has just switched to a new health provider so what we had last year may not apply. Typically they are OK, but not great. Some wonderful group classes however (usually for a fee).

Welcome to X!

My husband and I sailed on Silhouette in January with a very similar goal. We found the SPE entrees and desserts in the main dining room to be very good. Several interesting sorbet favors were also available over the course of the week. We also dined exclusively in the spa cafe for lunch (even embarkation day!)

Like the others have indicated, just ask for something and they will make it happen. One night, I wanted a soup as my entree, and was informed that although they did not have entree size soup bowls, they would see what they could do. I was presented with a fun plate of 3 appetizer size bowls of soup on it!

I will note that healthy dining in the MDR is a bit more challenging on top chef night, but the classic chicken entree will still be available.

Another thing we tried and liked was a personal ban on all elevator travel except for debarkation. It was a good challenge, and discouraged unnecessary trips to the buffet.

Happy cruising!

Edited by mrsaquashark

We have always had responsive staff in the MDR. On one cruise, one lady had significant food issues and they brought her the menu for the next day every evening. If there were issues, they would make her something else. The table was envious of the extra veggies and subsequently had a plate of extra veggies for the table every night.

One of my usual request is for fresh strawberries or mixed berries for dessert. With the exception of the first night when I make the request, I have that as a standing dessert order.

Evelyn

I've had wonderful luck on all Celebrity ships with getting extra veggies & dinners with sauces on the side. Our dining companions clued in quickly & our waiters bring a platter of mixed veggies (family style). We sailed Royal for the first time this fall & I really missed my veggies

WOW...you lost 7 sizes? Congratulations:) The main dining room has

several dishes that are on the "every day" menu......those are items

on the left side. Not sure what your food priorities are but you can

get grilled salmon and/or grilled chicken breast every day. (if you don't see

anything on that regular evening's choices that appeals.) And as others

have mentioned, just ask for more veggies.....should not be an issue:)

And the buffet has several healthy options......it is set up as stations.

You can peruse each station to see what is offered. Lots of different

salads/fruits/veggies are there too.

Again, congrats on your weight loss:)

Edited by Lois R

Congratulations on the weight loss.

Eating clean will be nearly impossible. Making healthy choices yes. Most cruise ships cook with butter, not margarine. So that helps.

I always pack my blender bottle & pre package my protein/fiber for breakfast each morning. Some bartenders will even throw a bannana into a blender with your powder/water & purée for you.

It's amazing how little food 1200 daily calories are :(

I also brung my greens, electrolytes, amino acids pre-packaged.

Bigger concern is traveling as airport food sucks. So I bring a feed bag, trail mix, fruit leathers...

Edited by DZalumni

I am a diamond with rccl but trying celebrity for the first time in April on the silhouette. After going from a size 16 to a 2 eating healthy and working out are a must even on vacation

2. Does the main dining room offer healthful options? I had a very difficult time on royal getting extra servings of veggies and salad

Thanks!

Congrats on your weight lost tchrchgo! My husband is a 72 year old personal trainer, believe it or not! I lost about 28 lbs last year. Found that after many years that it wasn't about dieting, but rather about "moving" around more. Too many years of working at desk and just sitting on couch afterward!

We always strive to eat healthy on our cruises, but that being said, do not deprive ourselves of some wonderful food including some shared desserts. The Aqua Spa is fabulous for breakfast. DH asked for spinach every night in the MDR and received it.

We also have the drink package and do our fair share of cocktails onboard.....However,we've found that moving around on excursions, dancing, zumba, walking the ship, taking the elevators and working out in gym at least every other day keeps our weight gain to a maximum of 2 lbs after a 10 day cruise!

Although I admit I don't always choose them!:rolleyes: But I take the stairs EVERYWHERE unless I am in heels. Pleased to say I have never gained a pound on any cruise that way! (and while I mostly make healthy choices, on vacation I relax that rule a bit)

This cruise will be a first for me being gluten-free. Last year I began to realize my wheat intolerance but was still a bit in denial. Now I am at a point that I know how crummy it makes me feel that it is worth it to avoid it, especially items that are primarily wheat-based (breads, pastas, cereals, cakes, cookies, pies)

Breakfast: eggs, fruit, yogurt

Lunch/dinner: salad, light dressing, broth soups, grilled meats with no sauce, steamed veggies, fresh fruit.

If you let your servers know the first night of your needs, I cannot imagine any issues--I have NEVER had problems getting seconds of anything on a cruise!!

Another bad thing about a Celebrity cruise is the bread basket that they place on the dinner table each night, with those wonderful bread sticks.

Despite my good intentions of asking the waiter to remove it, or not put it out in the first place, for some strange reason I find myself unable to do so. ;)

Edited by fleckle

• 3 weeks later...
Upgraded to Aqua

Looking forward to blu!

Great choice! BLU is the way to go !

I usually ask for dbl veggies, and refuse bread and rolls....lots of great choices and nice salads for main course too..we skip dessert but our downfall is when we stop at Cafe Baccio..for at least one IGLU...don't ask.

the AQ spa cafe is our fav choice for lunch and sometimes for a lighter than BLU breakfast.

the gym is perfect for treadmill, bike, and elliptical...we also do our resistance routine once or twice but be forewarned that machines in metrics make it dfficult to make conversions ..deck walking can be ok depending on outdoor conditions...

good luck....and have a great cruise...Congrats on your success!

The MDR in my opinion is the way to go. Having the same wait staff each night will make things easier. They will simply bring you exactly what you want. Double salad - OK. No potatoes - OK. You can have it any way you want from the menu.

FWIW - I am about 70 - 6'2" and was 190. Lost 10 pounds in the last 6 weeks with another few to go before we sail in 4 weeks by upping my exercise and walking program. Doing the stairs on the ship is GREAT exercise. We were on a lower deck last cruise and walking up to 10 for some bread sticks or a cookie made me think twice.

Yes you can! Easiest all day before dinner.

I like to get plain lettuces on a plate in the buffet, with some broccoli and mushrooms and other healthy options. Then I get some grilled salmon or chicken either in the buffet (might have to ask for it) or the Aqua Spa Cafe. I don't mind walking around with a plate to various places.

For treats I love the sugar free fat free sorbet offerings.

For dinner I often ask them for a bowl of fresh berries and for plain steamed broccoli. Those are things readily available in all kitchens. I get the least fatty item and often ask them to prepare it differently. However, we eat in Blu or specialties only so not sure how easy that is in the MDR as we haven't had a meal in there in 6 cruises.

Breakfast I usually have some granola with fresh berries and one carton of greek yogurt. Or I get an egg white omelet with veggies.

I've actually lost weight on a cruise before and if not, I maintain.

I'm thrilled for your amazing loss and hope you keep it up. With motivation like that I'm sure you will. Just stay away from *too* many frozen alcoholic drinks. A lite beer or glass of wine won't hurt you ;)

Thanks!

I look forward to the gym. In real life its hectic getting there and often a compromise. On the cruise I indulge. I rarely found the gym crowded but it may be I don't go at peek times. I fine it well equipped, I don't just do treadmills, that said I don't remember specifics. I usually do at least 1 class a day, sometimes 2. I have also done the boot camp, but you can over do it with this if you are competitive.

Some classes are good some are OK, really depends on the trainer. I have had great trainers (Century) and really bad (Equinox), given this I would not just sign up. Get to know them and then choose - this is my plan for our cruise on the 26th, board and head straight to the gym to sign up for classes and meet the trainers. Often classes sell out before you sail. Then lunch at spa cafe. Personal trainers are expensive but hopefully you get something new out of it and I find I get a little extra attention from them throughout the cruise.

WRT food, I'm going to echo what many have said here. Spa Cafe, Blu, lunch at lawn club, ... easy to get extra veggies or salad in MDR, salmon off the menu... everything is cooked in butter but hey that is why you burned a 1000 calories in the spinning class, that and the martini bar :)

Also thanks of the tip of ordering fresh strawberries or mixed berries for dessert. I'm going to use that one.

p.s. We've heard the spa cafe has gone down hill, but everybody is always saying everything is going down hill - seems to be the nature of these boards. We will know soon enough and report back.