Best price to Amsterdam from LAX seems to be through moscow on russian aeroflot

sbcatraveler

Has anyone flown on aeroflot to get to amsterdam? the price difference is substantial flying out of LAX. Travel agent said not to use them, but didn't really give a reason for it. The return involves a 10 hour layover; but can get a hotel room at the airport for about $100, and still involves about a $700 savings on airfare. Just wondering if we are crazy to consider it. Flying to amsterdam to take a 25 day cruise on HAL, and airfare is surprisingly high on the other airlines unless a sale is coming soon? Thanks for the input.:cool:

Has anyone flown on aeroflot to get to amsterdam? the price difference is substantial flying out of LAX. Travel agent said not to use them, but didn't really give a reason for it. The return involves a 10 hour layover; but can get a hotel room at the airport for about $100, and still involves about a $700 savings on airfare. Just wondering if we are crazy to consider it. Flying to amsterdam to take a 25 day cruise on HAL, and airfare is surprisingly high on the other airlines unless a sale is coming soon? Thanks for the input.:cool:

Google ITA MATRIX.

Quite a few flights with out going through Moscow.

Have a great Cruise:D

What flying into London, Paris, Brussels, or Cologne? All of them have high-speed rail service to Amsterdam. Only 4 hours from London, Paris, or Frankfurt. I would guess it's about 2 hours or so from Brussels or Cologne.

If time is not an issue, it might be a fun way to get to Amsterdam.

Awe Aeroflot. The Greyhound of the skies.

If your cruise out of Amsterdam is on the HAL garbage scow it will be the perfect fit!;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

Honestly, I would look at other options. Aeroflot wasn't a trustworthy airport at the best of times and now is certainly not the best of times in Russia.

With that said... If your layover is in a major airport in Russia and is less than 24 hours then you won't need a visa, however there are no hotels in the international transit area so getting a hotel during your layover is not an option.

Direct airside transit

Passengers travelling through international airports do not need a visa for a transit of less than 24 hours, provided a confirmed onward ticket is held and the traveler remains in the international transit area (without clearing passport control).

Only five Russian airports have an international transit area:

• Moscow's Sheremetyevo International Airport (SVO) - terminals D, E and F
  • Moscow's Domodedovo International Airport (DME)
  • Moscow's Vnukovo International Airport (VKO) - terminal A
  • Saint Petersburg's Pulkovo Airport (LED) - new terminal 1, opened on February 14, 2014
  • Yekaterinburg's Koltsovo International Airport (SVX) - international terminal.

Edited by tahqa

Jet Blue is partnering with Icelandair (google it for when it starts). Take JetBlue to any Icelandair gateway, then from there to Amsterdam on Icelandair. Great airline

Good suggestion. Makes much more sense. :)

Besides the answers here. Try the air forum on CC. Lots of knowledgeable people there.

Thanks for the replies. I have checked every alternative I can think of, and for flights in mid april returning mid may; fares seem to be quite high at about $1300 per ticket. Even the non direct flights are that high. Aeroflot was $850 per ticket. I have read that 54 days is the best time to buy a ticket, and that will be next week. In the past when I have to buy airfare, it seems to fluctuate every day or hour one way or another; but not this time. All fares seem to cost in the $1300 range. the cruise line said airfare through them is $1500 pp and you can't really pick your flights easily through them. Is airfare just really high right now, or is flying to Europe just expensive compared to say south america from LAX? Thanks again, I am still going to repeatedly try to get a better price and hope to avoid the Aeroflot route. It's just that the $800 savings for the two of us seems like something to consider.

:confused:

Thanks for the replies. I have checked every alternative I can think of, and for flights in mid april returning mid may; fares seem to be quite high at about $1300 per ticket. Even the non direct flights are that high. Aeroflot was $850 per ticket. I have read that 54 days is the best time to buy a ticket, and that will be next week. In the past when I have to buy airfare, it seems to fluctuate every day or hour one way or another; but not this time. All fares seem to cost in the $1300 range. the cruise line said airfare through them is $1500 pp and you can't really pick your flights easily through them. Is airfare just really high right now, or is flying to Europe just expensive compared to say south america from LAX? Thanks again, I am still going to repeatedly try to get a better price and hope to avoid the Aeroflot route. It's just that the $800 savings for the two of us seems like something to consider.

:confused:

Those are about average prices to Europe. You are booking very late, and probably the lower fare buckets sold out long ago. The purchase 54 days in advance is nonsense; I am not sure where this stuff comes from.

Advise you to check out Turkish Airlines.

Have you checked out Norwegian airlines They have fares as low as 346.00 Lax to Amsterdam non stop. They fly the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. Check out your cruse line air fare. When using RCCL choice air they offer Lax- Amsterdam- Barcelona one way for 386.00 PP This is for their absolute budget flight, no food, no water , nothing but the flight.

I said earlier it was non stop and I was wrong.. 4 hr layover in Copenhagen

Select departure and start reservation

Outbound : Los Angeles - Amsterdam Tuesday 5. May 2015

economy cabin

All fares per person in EUR

Premium cabin

All fares per person in EUR

Departure

Arrival

324.20 best economy

871.30 flex

927.70 upgrade economy plus