Just a small petty vent

LyndaKroooze

Just realized that my balcony overlooks the promenade deck...and I gotta say I am disappointed. It won't ruin my whole cruise..

This will be our 4th cruise- 2 alone (just DH and I) and one with our 2 girls (age 15 and 10) and our friends/neighbours.

I know this sounds nit-picky, but the main reason we book a balcony is for the sea and the privacy if I want to lay I the sun.

The neighbours are getting married (after 21 years)on this upcoming cruise, and due to the brides many many ailments (hypochondriac). We had to book deck 6 mid ship so she didn't have to worry about seasickness.

There is a group of 16 of us going including my kids who will be across the hall with the brides daughter This means I can't pay to upgrade and move our cabin.

Just disappointed that THE best thing (to me)about a cruise- balcony on a dark starry night with a drink with nothing to hear but the sounds of the ocean....won't be part of this cruise.

I know I sound like a whiny B___h, and believe me NO ONE in our party will ever know I'm disappointed..I would never put a damper on the happy couples day.

I just don't like sacrificing on my VERY RARE vacation. Rant over- feel free to flame..I probably deserve it for complaining about anything when I'm going be with friends and family sailing on the Carribean...

We had a balcony on the same location when we sailed on the Dream. Yes, it doesn't look straight down to the water, but we absolutely loved it. I personally feel that it was private enough, quiet enough, and we still had wonderful views of the ocean. Have an awesome time.

Edited by Tapi

I can sympathize. I have been spoiled by cruising on cabins with balconies overlooking the ocean. Even on cold Alaska and transatlantic cruises, I enjoy having a balcony to sit out for short periods to just enjoy the ocean. To make the most of the situation, why don't you treat yourself to something you ordinarily would not indulge--a bottle of champagne in the cabin, a spa day, a particularly good excursion, flowers for the cabin, something special from the shops, or maybe something on shore--dining or shopping beyond the usual (or maybe a modest special treat each day of the cruise). I think you are going with the right attitude--recognizing a disappointing aspect of the cruise, but determined to not let it affect others. Hope you have a great time.

I can understand your disappointment but if evenings are your favourite times on the balcony I'm not sure that it will be too bad. The times I walked around deck 5 at night, I found hardly anyone out there....maybe a few smokers outside Red Frog Pub, that's about it. Maybe different during the day. I think it depends where you are....mid-ship? Port or Starboard?

That's just my own experience, maybe different for others.

Yeah I totally get what you mean. I booked a suite on the Magic until I realized that they were on deck 7 looking down on the lanai deck. Thankfully I was able to switch out. I am sure you will still have fun. Deck 5 is not always that busy.

Deck 6 is great. Just one floor down to all the action and very little noise (at least no chairs scraping the deck). We actually really enjoyed that location. As others have said, aside from the hot tubs, there is not much going on at night on the Promenade. It will be fine.

Get a cabin where you want. Why do you need to be together? :D

I would like to but...

1 The bride want her party to be together

2. My kids are across the hall and I need supervise them. Can't have the Bride and Groom babysitting on their honeymoon.

I understand your venting, but I do hope you enjoy your balcony more than you think you will. :)

I love having a balcony too, but our cruise last week on the Paradise we had an inside room so I really, really missed having our own balcony. Had a great cruise anyway though!

Who picked the cabin? Or was it a guarantee pick? I am assuming you did not pick the cabin as I am sure you would have researched the location of the cabin to make sure you get what you want.

I guess you could have picked your own cabin in another location and just hook up with the others in your party during activities and such, you will be fine, just enjoy!

Our group always books OVS. Yes we knew it over looked the promenade deck when we booked the DREAM. Read here that it didn't really interfere with looking at the ocean and probably would effect our enjoyment.

For us it was a big downer. We pay for that suite because, yes, we sit on the balcony with our friends in the rooms around us to enjoy watching the ocean. It also made our balcony and room seem much less private. We still enjoyed our cruise but learned a lesson for us.

We will plan to book the Conquest and Spirit Class ships next. Just remember...everyone has their own opinion on what they enjoy. You may like it.....and others may not.

I understand what you are feeling and that is why we book a balcony on deck 8. I think at night though, it should be ok because not too many people are out on the decks then. During the day it's a different story.

I don't do anything on the balcony that others couldn't see, but it's just the idea of people walking by or sitting in a lounge chair looking up at me when I am out on the balcony. I'm guessing that the bride and groom didn't realize what the 6th deck balconies are like or I doubt they would have booked them.

Just go with a positive attitude and enjoy the cruise .You are right in not showing your disappointment and I give kudos to you for that.

Who picked the cabin? Or was it a guarantee pick? I am assuming you did not pick the cabin as I am sure you would have researched the location of the cabin to make sure you get what you want.

I guess you could have picked your own cabin in another location and just hook up with the others in your party during activities and such, you will be fine, just enjoy!

The bride picked the group of cabins based on her fear of seasickness. Its her wedding- we do what she wants. Next cruise will just be DH and I ...

If seasickness was the main concern, why not go to the lowest deck possible? Everyone seems to love the Cove balconies, they are on deck 2 should have less movement than deck 6. Making that move should make everyone happy.

Edited by nwo4life

Oice

The bride picked the group of cabins based on her fear of seasickness. Its her wedding- we do what she wants. Next cruise will just be DH and I ...

Sounds like the issues need to be addressed to the bride for her choice. It may be her wedding, but its your rare vacation. I'm sure she would appreciate hearing how disappointed you are and quite possibly would rebook the entire group. You won't know unless you ask.

If seasickness was the main concern, why not go to the lowest deck possible? Everyone seems to love the Cove balconies, they are on deck 2 should have less movement than deck 6. Making that move should make everyone happy.

I can't make her uproot 8 cabins just for me...she wants her wedding party to be together...I get that.....I was just looking to vent- there is no solution...this is what she wants. But thanks for the suggestion.

I can understand your disappointment but if evenings are your favourite times on the balcony I'm not sure that it will be too bad. The times I walked around deck 5 at night, I found hardly anyone out there....maybe a few smokers outside Red Frog Pub, that's about it. Maybe different during the day. I think it depends where you are....mid-ship? Port or Starboard?

That's just my own experience, maybe different for others.

Totally agree here- very few on promenade at night. Of course if you are on dream class and close to entrances to plaza or night club- another issue!

I'm glad to read your positive comments. They show what a loving, unselfish person you are. It's wonderful that you put the bride first in this matter. You are putting her happiness first. That's the way it should be on her big day.

Perhaps someday in the future you will be able to cruise again. For now, say nothing about your disappointment. Go, make the best of the situation, and then you will have a great cruise.

Edited by JimAOk1945

I'm glad to read your positive comments. They show what a loving, unselfish person you are. It's wonderful that you put the bride first in this matter. You are putting her happiness first. That's the way it should be on her big day.

Perhaps someday in the future you will be able to cruise again. For now, say nothing about your disappointment. Go, make the best of the situation, and then you will have a great cruise.

Wow thanks! You are very kind (and very perceptive-lol-kidding)

I plan on having a great time....and I will do my best to make sure my friend has the wedding she wants.

I agree with Tapi. This is a very nice location. I have sailed on the Dream several times now and have stayed on this deck twice. I even enjoyed people watching at times. I also agree that at night, there is barely anyone out there. I think the view is still very nice and I think you will enjoy. It is great that you are willing to work with the bride. Im happy you vented here, and that you aren't getting flamed! I am sure you will enjoy your cruise and hopefully, enjoy the benefits you will have with this deck. Its very close to a lot of the action on the Lanai Deck!