What is the nicest thing a RCI crew member has ever done for you?

During lengthy back to backs , we became friends with our room attendant from Jamaica

And while he was between contracts and home in Jamaica ,

we arrived on cruise in Jamaica.

He and his wife picked us up at docks and took us around island, and into their home, and we met many family members.

A wonderful family!

We still communicate.

Edited by ssb

It seems like people mention the little things, but they sure do mean a lot to us. I have 3 examples. Our first Royal cruise was on Liberty. Early on the cruise, my DW requested shrimp salad for an appetizer. The waiter told DW that it was not on the menu that night but he would see what he could do. Within a couple of minutes the head waiter came to our table. He said that he would instruct the chef to have a salad prepared every night. The second example came a couple years later on FOS. This was just after the new menus came out. We ordered vadalia onion tart. Of course it was not on the menu. The waiter(Wesly from Jamacia) said he could not get this for us that night but he would try to get it another night. You should have seen the look on people's faces when they saw him bring us the tart. The 3rd example was also about the onion tart. We were on the Radiance with DS, DiL and her mom and her mom's new husband. Again we asked for the tart. The head waiter would look after us. The next night the Head waiter came by to see how we liked the tart. We never got it. He was mad. The next night he brought out a slice for each of us and said that was half of what was made, we would get the second half the next night. Very nice.

Great thread!

Have a number of great memories of kindness from crew members. One I like was a staff person giving a couple of kids some Shipshape stuff even though after telling staff person what they wanted, they did not have sufficient points. To me, that crew member used personal discretion and was a great ambassador for Royal Caribbean. :)

This is an interesting thread ! I posted an experience earlier, and came back to read all the additional post essentially raving about RCI staff. When you look thru the many threads on cruise critic, a lot of it seems like trivial griping about food, drinks, service, etc. Yet reading this post, it reminded my that some of the best memories I have had from cursing with RCI and Celebrity comes down to my interaction with the wonderful staff on these ships. Though there are many special moments that stand out, its also the consistency in service quality that I have come to expect and appreciate so much. The crew on these ships work incredible hours for long contract periods. Many are away from family, children, and friends in their home countries. Yet each day they put that aside and with a smile on their face, cater if a wide variety of guest demands and personalities.

It makes me humble and somewhat ashamed at how many of us act at times on these ships. We should take a lesson from the staff and try to make their day a little happier by treating them with the same respect and good nature that they provide us day after day. We are all so very fortunate to be able to enjoy this lifestyle !

Put that smile on before closing the cabin door :D

Thanks for posting this. It's how I feel too. With all the changes going on I've been feeling a little down in the dumps about cruising in general and about RCI in particular. This thread has reminded me of what makes cruising so special. I like the international flavor and the almost universally positive attitudes of the staff and crew. I just went back and looked at all the pictures of crew members from several cruises. So many good memories.

In January 2015 while sailing on the Grandeur, my wife and I attended the formal Captains Dinner in the MDR and started to develop motion sickness from the rough seas that evening. After placing the dinner order with our head waiter "Souco" we informed him of our situation and had to immediately depart the area before making a scene.

Once we arrived back to the cabin, my wife and I decided that it would be wise to lay down to help calm our motion sickness and then the phone rang. It was "Souco" and he actually found a free minute "UNHEARD OF" to personally call our cabin making sure we were ok and comfortable.

Within 20 minutes our dinner was personally delivered "HOT" to our cabin just in case we became hungry. In fact, Souco knew my addiction with desserts so, he made sure we had multiple goodies to feast on thru the rest of the night. We were just blown away by his hospitality and couldn't ask for anyone better.

Edited by Lastrites

First Royal cruise, 11 night ultimate Caribbean. Our ship, JOS offered a tour of the galley. Went to guest services to sign up but was told it was full :-( , our waiter, Neptali told me to go anyways and when I arrived, he shook my hand and handed me a ticket for the tour :-) . Made my first Royal cruise complete!!!

My birthday cruise this past September I wondered if I could have MDR food brought to my js cabin. I went down to guest services after knowing what I wanted and I talked to the guy and he called food operations mgr and he agreed, and I gave him my order, and I had a really nice sunset 50th dinner on my balcony. Which was beyond nice they agreed to do this. The guy who brought the meal was tipped well. I did call down after dinner and say thanks again and the food was wonderful.

fa98cdca861ef0a26c24096fdcaba4ce.jpg

Asun the head waiter from Turkey on Enchanment heard I was headed to Istanbul and spent every night telling me which restaurants and specialties to try. She even knew of a great Turkish restaurant in Boston that I hadn't heard about and gave me the name of that! (From her Boston to Halifax runs with Royal) She gave me her sisters email and insisted I contact her! I did ask for some advice before we traveled there and her sister kindly responded and was very helpful, but we didn't get to meet her while in Turkey.

One night she walked us to our table for our reservations and some clods had just walked in and sat themselves and "took" the table that was set aside for our reservation. We were literally standing there behind her, and she was mouth agape that the table that had been empty 5 minutes ago was filled! She arranged for us to use another table in another section but still have our regular waiter (Which we told her was entirely unnnessacary but she insisted!)

Asun was great! Definately a WOW all the way! :D

We were on the Allure when the Boston Marathon bombing occurred. My brother was running the marathon, and I have close friends who attend the Red Sox game that day every year. I threw on clothes and ran down to the CL, and the concierge looked at me and said "we're taking care of you". They already had a list of the Ma. residents on the ship, and were ready to assist us in any way. I gave him the phone #'s of my parents and my friends, and within minutes he had connected me to them. I was crying as I talked on the phone and found out my family and friends were shaken, but okay.

The concierge was extremely compassionate and supportive throughout, and from what I was told, the other passengers who needed to get in touch with loved ones who may have been affected by the bombing were treated the same way.

We were on the same cruise, and clearly being from Boston, in the same boat, literally. I did not know till you mentioned it now KTeach , that they had planned to contact MA residents. We were not contacted and since we don't watch TV and hadn't signed up,for our free internet I didn't know about the bombings till the next morning at our Meet and Mingle. We have a dear friend who is a selectman in the starting town and he and his family are often part of "ceremonial" events at the start and often the finish, as well as having many friends who run. I happened to go to guest services to sign up for my internet after I heard about the bombings, so I could check in. At that time the GS offered for me to make any phone calls I wanted. I said I would check via email and if anyone was affected would take him up on that. I never thought to go to the Diamond concierge. We were very blessed that our loved ones were not involved. The trial for this evil doer is going on in Boston as we speak.

My last cruise was 18 years ago on Enchantment. One of the souvenier glasses I got cracked. My cabin steward took and replaced it.

Let's not talk about the free cocktails from the bartender in the Orpheum on that same cruise.

July 2009 my wife and our two sons left on GOS for a 10 day Caribbean Trip. Though not our first cruise, it was to be our last together. Two months later, my wife and best friend of over 30 years lost her year long battle with cancer. We took the cruise knowing this might be our last, and determined to make it great. And thanks to the crew and RCI, it was! One of my most wonderful memories was a crew attendant in the Windjammer that would ride my wife's rented scooter to and from the table to a out of the way parking place by the main entrance. We rented the scooter because Sharon was gradually having problems walking due to her treatments. Anyway, Sharon and I always got a laugh when the same staff member would rush to help her with the scooter. I don't think the guy was ever on one, and he had this enormous smile while he would drive the scooter, weaving around the tables and the isles of the Windjammer. It was one of many lasting memories of the special cruise.

Now almost seven years later, I am leaving again on Grandeur the 21st of March. This trip will be another first cruise with a wonderful woman I have been together with for the past two years. I'm glad the GOS has been thru refit because it will have a different look, yet still have the charm I remember. And most of all, the exceptional crew that work so hard to make each cruise special for us guest.

I'm sure this trip will also be one of those great memories that remain with us forever.

The beauty of this moved me to tears. What a wonderful memory!

Enjoy your next cruise!

There have truly been lots of wonderful things staff has thought to do for us....what I find a remarkable thing was when we were on Liberty.

Our cabin steward had seen me looking around my cabin one day, in search of a missing earring. It wasn't very expensive but it was an earring from a pair of earrings I was very fond of wearing. I just assumed it must have fallen out of my ear in our cabin and was searching for it. I thought it might have gotten stuck on a towel and fallen between the bathroom door and the closet and that was when she saw me, looking on the carpet on my hands and knees.

She said....go enjoy the day and if it is in that room, I will find it. I stressed to her that it wasn't expensive. So I took the other earring out, and put it on the shelf over the dresser.

Later that afternoon when we came back -- viola, there is the missing earring. When I asked her HOW and Where she found it.....she said it was in the hallway, and she saw something glitter when she the light from the vacuum got it.

We probably tipped her more than the earrings value.....and gave it to her THAT day!

We had the greatest room Steward during our NZ & Transpacific cruise, and my Birthday fell during the TP Cruise. We walked in one evening and she had made a 3 tier Birthday Cake out of Towels with colorful sprinkles, ribbons and she had made up a Banner which we still have. We really wish we could have kept her for the final cruise but changed rooms. We got to see her though as she had a couple rooms nearby.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

We were on the same cruise, and clearly being from Boston, in the same boat, literally. I did not know till you mentioned it now KTeach , that they had planned to contact MA residents. We were not contacted and since we don't watch TV and hadn't signed up,for our free internet I didn't know about the bombings till the next morning at our Meet and Mingle. We have a dear friend who is a selectman in the starting town and he and his family are often part of "ceremonial" events at the start and often the finish, as well as having many friends who run. I happened to go to guest services to sign up for my internet after I heard about the bombings, so I could check in. At that time the GS offered for me to make any phone calls I wanted. I said I would check via email and if anyone was affected would take him up on that. I never thought to go to the Diamond concierge. We were very blessed that our loved ones were not involved. The trial for this evil doer is going on in Boston as we speak.

I was not on the cruise but I do live in MA and a good deal of my cousins family was right there at the finish line, but thankfully Lexi came in 10 minute's before the bombs went off, and good thing they didn't have lunch at the forum and they were blocks away. Like the other pax family; they were very shaken, but okay! My aunt still this day is having the occasional nightmare knowing they were down there.

Yes, Boston is entering week 3 of the trial of that punk kid Terrorist, and his dead punk Terrorist brother. We here in MA are reliving that beyond brutal day and the few days that followed through this vivid trial. It is nothing what the survivors are going through along with the families of the non survivors. The Richard's say they will be at the trial every day! Youngest victim. They could not snuff out his light and big heart.

102501563af30a351edce2e74339e92b.jpg

We just got off of Serenade yesterday and there were several nice gestures by the crew. Two of those that really stand out are:

1. Our cabin was on deck 3 right by the stairway to the gangway. For debarking at Coco Cay and Nassau, we waited with our door open. Right before the announcement was made for guest to proceed from decks 4 and 5, Michelle, one of the activities crew motioned for us to get to the stairs before the crowd hit. It was just a small gesture, but a great help for my 74 year old dad.

2. On the final night, my 13 year old daughter was in the teen club talking about how she wants to be a performer and how amazing one of the singers had been. The crew member in the teen club called the cabin of that performer, Matthew, and he came up to the club and spent a good amount of time visiting with my daughter about theater, the audition process, and even singing some Broadway tunes with her. It was so special of him to give up personal time after a show to visit with her. It was the highlight of her cruise!

I was not on the cruise but I do live in MA and a good deal of my cousins family was right there at the finish line, but thankfully Lexi came in 10 minute's before the bombs went off, and good thing they didn't have lunch at the forum and they were blocks away. Like the other pax family; they were very shaken, but okay! My aunt still this day is having the occasional nightmare knowing they were down there.

Yes, Boston is entering week 3 of the trial of that punk kid Terrorist, and his dead punk Terrorist brother. We here in MA are reliving that beyond brutal day and the few days that followed through this vivid trial. It is nothing what the survivors are going through along with the families of the non survivors. The Richard's say they will be at the trial every day! Youngest victim. They could not snuff out his light and big heart.

102501563af30a351edce2e74339e92b.jpg

Yes, it was (and continues to be) an extremely difficult time. I grew up in Newtown, Ct., and the Sandy Hook tragedy was still very fresh in my mind when the Marathon bombing took place. The staff on the Allure, particularly in the CL did everything possible to help us.

I am always blown away with how the staff in the MDR try very hard to accommodate our vegetarian diets. They even have special Indian meals prepared for us. My 86 year old father has been so impressed with the special food and service and is addicted to cruising!

I have had the Head Waiter even prepare special vegetarian meals for us at Labadee!

The cabin attendants have been so nice too, i remember a time when my niece fainted at Cocoa Beach, and the staff on the island carried her to their jeep and on a wheel chair back on the ship.

I have not really had any bad experiences due to RCCL staff, and feel they really go out of their way to make your holiday the best one!

A few years ago we returned to Voyager of the Seas for a second cruise in as many years. Before sail away we wandered down to the main dining room to see where our table was located. While looking around, we got the biggest surprise of our lives when we heard this unmistakable voice call out, "Miss Rhonda, Mister Tom..." Which of course prompted us to turn on our heals to see Catalina, our waiter on VOS the year previous trotting across the room toward us.

It was wonderful to see her again, and more than just a little emotional for all of us. She was such a significant and delighful part of our initial Voyager cruise. To have her recognize us and rememeber our names after a year of serving hundreds of other cruisers was unbelievable.

We love and miss our Catalina.

We were on the Legend in August 2013 and Luca (from the Concierge Lounge) surprised us with invitations to sit on the Captain's table for dinner. It was extra special as it was my partner's birthday (I suspect that Luca knew this). Everyone at the table, including the Captain, sang her Happy Birthday!

• 4 weeks later...

I have told these stories many times, but like to tell them again.

I loved the She Crab Soup we first had on Rhapsody back in the day and mentioned it on Liberty....sure enough, even though it was not on the menu and hadn't been in several years:eek:, I got it for the next 3 nights in a row. Now I call that service. From the Chef or whomever prepared it to the server! I must've been the only passenger eating She Crab Soup on the ship:D

Then another time, we brought a white wine aboard and I asked for a wine chiller/ice the second night. My steward had that wine chilled in a large ice bucket for 4 nights in a row because we never got around to drinking the darn stuff. I finally had to tell him to stop. He was that determined to keep it cold.

Oh and Tom Terrific reminds me....we have had several servers and stewards from other ships recognize us on other ships and call us by name, when embarrassingly we did not remember their name. Those guys have minds like a steel trap.

Edited by BecciBoo