A Complete Guide for New Smoking Areas on NCL vessels

Solararc

This past April on POA our neighbor had a smoke early in the AM and late at night. I assumed she relaxed for her her first to get her day going and had a last before bed. I don't smoke anymore but it wasn't constant or I would have nicely reminded her of the rules. I spend a lot of off hours on my balcony. So guess unless somebody complains it is done.

It's possible (but unlikely) that she didn't know that smoking wasn't allowed there. If it happens again, I suggest that you either tell your neighbor yourself or report the neighbor to the staff and let them inform her.

Since this thread is supposed to inform everyone where smoking is and isn't allowed....

It's possible (but unlikely) that she didn't know that smoking wasn't allowed there. If it happens again, I suggest that you either tell your neighbor yourself or report the neighbor to the staff and let them inform her.

Since this thread is supposed to inform everyone where smoking is and isn't allowed....

On NCL its a $250 fine for smoking on balcony and they may ask you to leave the ship.

I do think that NCL needs to establish a target ratio for the anticipated # of smokers based on passenger capacity to the # of unrestricted designated smoking areas. I don't know why the policy doesn't establish a minimum standard, for example: NCL will accommodate its smoking policy with a minimum of 1 enclosed indoor space (Humidor), 1 sundeck space & 1 covered outdoor space on every ship with additional unrestricted designated smoking areas to be added based on the target ratio.

Right now NCL has a ratio anywhere from 76 (Sky) to 301 (Bliss) with the majority of ships (8) in the 100 - 125 ratio range. It looks like it would be very easy to establish a target and standard based on current information. NCL just needs to become more deliberate in their decision making, while providing the flexibility to make adjustments as data changes. A target ratio and a minimum standard, would help in the process.

Generally speaking, it is very difficult to garner adherence to a policy (not just this one) if there is inconsistency in the application or a lack of a minimum standard.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IwhHuxFGVf8GRxIe1V30Bj0elmkPLRuQUxOpmI8LiFE/edit?usp=sharing

Just wanted to reiterate that this thread is for locating designated smoking areas on each NCL ship.

Non-smokers benefit from the spreadsheet as well because they can use this information if they would like to avoid the designated smoking areas.

I am asking that everyone please refrain from comment unrelated to the data gathering for the spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IwhHuxFGVf8GRxIe1V30Bj0elmkPLRuQUxOpmI8LiFE/edit?usp=sharing

Just to let everyone know, I intend to stop updating the spreadsheet if this thread keeps getting off topic posts that don't help with the data gathering. I have no desire to read through those posts :mad: in order to find the ones I actually need for the spreadsheet.

Thank You for all your work on this sheet to help others.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

NCL BREAKAWAY

SMOKING POLICY UPDATE

Please note : I was on the Breakaway Dec 23 to 30, 2018 and all the waterfront (deck 8 ) and the Vibe were non smoking.  They said the smoking policy changed in nov 2018. I complained and they reimbushed us our 4 Vibe passes later on embarcation day. I am the only smoker, but they lost 4 clients. 

The Breakaway was my prefered cruise ship, and on all my previous cruises (dec 2, 2017 and oct 27, 2018 from NY to NO), all the waterfront (except sitting at the bar) and the Vibe bar (when sitting) were smoking area. But now, they lost 4 clients 

Edited by Bambi_Smiley
typo
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bambi_Smiley said:

NCL BREAKAWAY

SMOKING POLICY UPDATE

Please note : I was on the Breakaway Dec 23 to 30, 2018 and all the waterfront (deck 8 ) and the Vibe were non smoking.  They said the smoking policy changed in nov 2018. I complained and they reimbushed us our 4 Vibe passes later on embarcation day. I am the only smoker, but they lost 4 clients. 

The Breakaway was my prefered cruise ship, and on all my previous cruises (dec 2, 2017 and oct 27, 2018 from NY to NO), all the waterfront (except sitting at the bar) and the Vibe bar (when sitting) were smoking area. But now, they lost 4 clients 

I forgot to add that the area at the entrance of Vibe, the seating area outside Vibe on deck 17, is also non smoking since nov 2018

That spreadsheet is very helpful. I am a non smoker, but Hubby smokes. (it doesn't bother me at all) Knowing which ships have the smoking areas is very helpful. We were NOT happy when we were on the Sun and realized there was no cigar lounge. We will never sail on a ship that doesn't have one.

When I was on the Star in July of 2018 there were more smoking area's then what was listed in the google spreadsheet.

Covered area Aft- Deck 12 SpiceH2O port side

Covered Area Mid ship- Deck 14 Sky High Bar port side

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bambi_Smiley said:

NCL BREAKAWAY

SMOKING POLICY UPDATE

They were as well in August 2018. 

On 6/30/2015 at 9:48 PM, zqvol said:

You don't get to pick and choose the types of responses that you get. Unfortunately there are still too many smoking areas on all of the ships, hopefully they will decrease the available areas again soon.

Not a helpful comment. No one is looking for an opinion, just the facts as to where smoking is allowed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

Not a helpful comment. No one is looking for an opinion, just the facts as to where smoking is allowed.

People are free to express their opinion. You do not control the forum content.

And why would you even bother attacking a post  from 4 years ago? 

17 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

People are free to express their opinion. You do not control the forum content.

And why would you even bother attacking a post  from 4 years ago? 

I did not realize it was 4 years old, that’s why. And yes of course people are free to express opinions. However, the OP has repeatedly asked that this thread be about the facts as to where smokers can smoke on the different ships.  I respect the intent and request by the OP,  Apparently you do not.

And really, don’t you think it’s a bit dramatic to call my comment an attack? 😂 

39 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

However, the OP has repeatedly asked that this thread be about the facts as to where smokers can smoke on the different ships.  I respect the intent and request by the OP,  Apparently you do not.

Technically, critiquing another post is not a fact "as to where smokers can smoke". :classic_wink:

1 hour ago, Greenpea2 said:

...A post stating an opinion or 2 is not "just the facts". Stating that a comment is not "helpful" is an opinion on someone else's opinion. BOTH are allowed on a public forum but it is somewhat hypocritical to condemn one for stating an opinion while also stating an opinion. 

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Technically, critiquing another post is not a fact "as to where smokers can smoke". :classic_wink:

...A post stating an opinion or 2 is not "just the facts". Stating that a comment is not "helpful" is an opinion on someone else's opinion. BOTH are allowed on a public forum but it is somewhat hypocritical to condemn one for stating an opinion while also stating an opinion. 

Enough already. Jeez. This is just the sort of thing I disliked seeing the last time I was here. We are sharing this board for information and sometimes friendship.  I will stop picking at it, I hope you will too. forget I said anything, sorry to have offended. Ok?!