17 Killed in Terrorist Attack at Tunesia including possibly including Costa pax

Trekker954

Terrorism is everywhere and many innocent Muslims have been killed in the Middle East. Tragedies can happen anywhere. No where and no one is ever guaranteed their safety.

Let's just concentrate on sending prayers and/or sympathies to those that have been impacted. Even those that are just witnesses are greatly affected by an event like this.

Amen.

With ISIS on the march I don't think people from western countries are safe anywhere in the Middle East. I don't think the cruise ships should be going there.

Terrorism is everywhere and many innocent Muslims have been killed in the Middle East. Tragedies can happen anywhere. No where and no one is ever guaranteed their safety.

Let's just concentrate on sending prayers and/or sympathies to those that have been impacted. Even those that are just witnesses are greatly affected by an event like this.

According to Costa's facebook: " The Captain reported that there are still 13 passengers who did not return back onboard at the time of departure."

He simply said that number did not return, not that they are missing or unaccounted for.

Many of them could be in a local hospital. Or if someone was injured, or in the case of the man killed, their traveling companion may have decided to remain with them.

I don't understand...why did the ship depart with 13 less passengers? Was the ship under a threat? There are no weather issues that would necessitae the ship to set sail, are there? So why, under these terrible circumstances, isn't the ship staying in port long enough to account for those 13 passengers ? - And allow those who witnessed the murderous attack to give their statements to local authorities?

Edited by Salacia

Perhaps they know where those 13 are, and there was no reason to wait... MSC is still in port. EM

MSC Cruises reported the following:

"...Based on the communication made by official authorities, MSC Cruises, its ownership and entire management team report with profound sadness that at the time of this announcement nine of its guests are reported to have lost their lives, 12 were injured, and six (two Spanish nationals, one Belgian, one British, one French and one Japanese) are still unaccounted for in conjunction with the tragic event at the Bardo Museum. However, these numbers are still subject to modification whilst official identification is on-going.

According to sources it would appear that of the victims, three were of Japanese nationality, two French, two Spanish and two were Colombian. The wounded, of which three Japanese nationals, one South African, one Belgian and seven French, are currently being treated in various hospitals. All of them are being assisted in person by members of the MSC Cruises Crisis Team that was immediately sent to Tunis to provide on the ground support..."

I've been unable to find a report from Costa official authorities.

Edited by Salacia

I don't understand...why did the ship depart with 13 less passengers? ....So why, under these terrible circumstances, isn't the ship staying in port long enough to account for those 13 passengers ? - And allow those who witnessed the murderous attack to give their statements to local authorities?

Maybe those 13 ARE accounted for, and are remaining ashore for whatever reason.

If local officials needed the ship to stay in port, it would have.

Edited by Boatdrill

Maybe those 13 ARE accounted for, and are remaining ashore for whatever reason.

If local officials needed the ship to stay in port, it would have.

Agreed. I'm guessing that they wanted it out of there in order to eliminate it from being targeted and free up the security for other needs. At that point there was no reason to keep the ship in port. Anyone who had left and wanted to return would have had ample time to do so by the time the ship left.

I don't understand...why did the ship depart with 13 less passengers? Was the ship under a threat? There are no weather issues that would necessitae the ship to set sail, are there? So why, under these terrible circumstances, isn't the ship staying in port long enough to account for those 13 passengers ? - And allow those who witnessed the murderous attack to give their statements to local authorities?

They have put a team in place to deal with the situation. Likely they know more than they are saying about the 13 who were not back on the ship.

I'm sure those that witnessed this event and made it safely back to the ship were happy to be leaving. Hard to know if there was a continued risk of more attacks.

Thoughts and prayers to all those affected by this terrible tragedy.

Tunisia is nowhere near the Middle East...and your prejudice and ignorance is rather frightening!

Tunisia borders Libya. The definition of "Middle East" is nebulous, but certainly it can be said that Tunisia is "near" and has been included in very broad definitions of the term. See http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/381192/Middle-East

Militant Islamists are a threat in Tunisia. Recognizing that is not a sign of prejudice or ignorance. Of course, as we have seen, that can be threat anywhere; however, the political instability in recent years, the location, and the apparent rise in militants are a particular cause for concern for tourists.

I would love to travel to Tunisia and I certainly don't blame the guests or the cruise line for traveling there, but safety is a legitimate issue to raise.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/12360-costa-update-on-tunis-situation.html

Costa Crociere has issued the following statement:

Statement by Michael Thamm, CEO of Costa Group:

"With great sadness we regret to report that 3 passengers of the Costa Fascinosa are amongst the victims of this barbaric and horrific terror attack in Tunis, and further 8 guests are injured. In addition 2 remain unaccounted for. We strongly condemn the attack on democratic Tunisia. Our deepest sympathy and our condolences go to the victims and their families. We share their sorrow.

Our team in Tunis is currently taking care of the companions of the victims and the 8 guests who are being treated in hospitals. A further Costa management team is supporting our crew and our guests on board. In the meantime, Costa Fascinosa has left Tunisia and is currently at sea.

We are in constant contact with the Italian Government and the security authorities of Tunisia as well as of other countries. We would like to thank the Italian Minister of Foreign Affairs and his structure for their co-operation."

The 2 unaccounted for are the Spanish couple found hiding in the museum this morning, according to reports. Although the reporting is odd since they are saying that they were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary and she was 4 months pregnant. Not entirely impossible but highly unlikely.

Although the reporting is odd since they are saying that they were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary and she was 4 months pregnant. Not entirely impossible but highly unlikely.
It was a different Spanish couple that was celebrating their 50th anniversary. They were killed.

It is a over 20 years since I was last in the Bardo. Then I made the train journey from Hammamet for the day to see the mosaics of Douga - the best preserved Roman City ever found - that I had visited the week before. However I was aboard the MSC Armonia one year ago when she visited La Goulette, the cruise port of Tunis. I remained in La Goulette on that visit but did heartily recommend visiting the Bardo to anyone aboard who would listen to me. I shiver to think that any of those caught up in the mindless violence today may have aboard the Armonia then or had even met any of those who were.

Tunisia is not in the Middle East but, like all of North Africa, fell to the Arab Muslim Conquests in the middle ages. So the influences of the Arabs and the more recent French colonial power are omnipresent but it is still an African country.

Apart from the immediate trajedy of those lost and injured today, I fear a greater trajedy: that Tunis will now be removed from all cruise itineraries, encouraging any crazy little militant group to do the same again, and again elsewhere.

Apart from the immediate trajedy of those lost and injured today, I fear a greater trajedy: that Tunis will now be removed from all cruise itineraries, encouraging any crazy little militant group to do the same again, and again elsewhere.

It's interesting that you mention the itinerary changes (and of course, several cruise lines have already decided to pull Tunis from their routes--at least for now). I wonder what the response would be if this had happened in Ft. Lauderdale, FL, or Southampton, UK? I doubt cruise lines would be reacting in the same fashion by skipping those ports. Perhaps it's due to a perceived (or maybe a realistic) likelihood that--overall--those are "safer" ports of call?

It's exactly the kind of chaos that the terrorists intended to create, and they've apparently succeeded. Now, Tunis has to pay the price (pun intended) for any subsequent economic loss.

It's interesting that you mention the itinerary changes (and of course, several cruise lines have already decided to pull Tunis from their routes--at least for now). I wonder what the response would be if this had happened in Ft. Lauderdale, FL, or Southampton, UK? I doubt cruise lines would be reacting in the same fashion by skipping those ports. Perhaps it's due to a perceived (or maybe a realistic) likelihood that--overall--those are "safer" ports of call?

It's exactly the kind of chaos that the terrorists intended to create, and they've apparently succeeded. Now, Tunis has to pay the price (pun intended) for any subsequent economic loss.

I am sure that is true but would you book a cruise that ported at Tunis now? I would not. I am afraid that this attack will effect this summers cruises also.People have to protect their families and I would just not take the risk.I don't need a lecture either about the dangers or not of other ports.