Hurt on Ship-need Advice

Lostinthe50s

I have held off for a long time writing about my negative experience on a Norwegian ship over a year ago figuring that I would be treated fairly.

I am now totally disgusted and asking if anyone knows the proper person to write my complaint to at Norwegian.

I had a very bad fall on my ship in the hallway where cleaning chemicals had been left on the floor. I tripped and banged my head and hurt my foot. I needed 11 stitches on the ship to close my wound on my lower leg plus i had a swollen and black and blue eye.

Being a cruise critic member and having been part of the meet and greet I felt I would be treated fairly as I lost out on the next few days of my cruise as I couldn't use the pool or spa facilities or gym for the next few days. Picture taking was out as my face was bruised and swollen.

Until I went down to the desk to file a complaint ,no one from the ship called my cabin to follow up or see how I was. I still havent received a credit which i was supposed to get towrds a future cfruise which I felt was very small.

I f anyone has any ideas who to write to I would greatly appreciate it. I still have all of the pictures and documentation.

My wife is so disgusted how this was handled that she doesnt want to cruise with Carribbean again. We are past cruisers on the line plus many other lines.

I am usually no a negative person but I feel that Norwegian has been derelict in its responsibility. I just want to receive the credit promised to me.

I have held off for a long time writing about my negative experience on a Norwegian ship over a year ago figuring that I would be treated fairly.

I am now totally disgusted and asking if anyone knows the proper person to write my complaint to at Norwegian.

I had a very bad fall on my ship in the hallway where cleaning chemicals had been left on the floor. I tripped and banged my head and hurt my foot. I needed 11 stitches on the ship to close my wound on my lower leg plus i had a swollen and black and blue eye.

Being a cruise critic member and having been part of the meet and greet I felt I would be treated fairly as I lost out on the next few days of my cruise as I couldn't use the pool or spa facilities or gym for the next few days. Picture taking was out as my face was bruised and swollen.

Until I went down to the desk to file a complaint ,no one from the ship called my cabin to follow up or see how I was. I still havent received a credit which i was supposed to get towrds a future cfruise which I felt was very small.

I f anyone has any ideas who to write to I would greatly appreciate it. I still have all of the pictures and documentation.

My wife is so disgusted how this was handled that she doesnt want to cruise with Carribbean again. We are past cruisers on the line plus many other lines.

I am usually no a negative person but I feel that Norwegian has been derelict in its responsibility. I just want to receive the credit promised to me.

Your guest ticket contract explains your rights and responsibilities in this sort of situation. You should review it and consult council when necessary.

Have you called NCL since you've been back and gone over what happened and ask them where the promised credit is. If you have had no response, I would write a letter to the President of the company and include copies of the pictures of your your face. If you don't get a response in what you feel is a reasonable amount of time, I would talk with an attorney to see if you have any recourse.

Edited by NLH Arizona

(a) Suits for Injury or Death:

The Guest agrees that no suit, whether

brought in rem or in personam,

shall be maintained against the Carrier for emotional or physical injury, illness or death of Guest unless

written notice of the claim, including a complete factual account of the basis of such claim, is delivered to

the Carr

ier within 185 calendar days from the date of the incident giving rise to such injury, illness or

death; and no suit shall be maintainable unless commenced with

in

one (1) year from the day of the

incident giving rise to such injury, illness or death, notwi

thstanding any provision of law of any state or

country to the contrary.

you are SOL

Ncl has ignored you because they know it was their fault you were injured

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

NCL ignored the OP because the OP didn't follow up. Why should they push something, regardless of who is at fault?

Mr C slipped in the buffet in the Epic when a waiter spilt some water and went off to get the mop/sign to indicate it was there. The staff were brilliant and fortunately he was only bruised. The medical team checked him out, we received a call that evening and the following day to check he was ok, and given $50 obc as a gesture of goodwill. Truth be told we were shocked at how much they did and didn't expect anything (other than giving Mr C a hand getting up off the floor!) because it was an accident and not done maliciously or due to severe neglect of duty on the part of the company.

Sorry you suffered an injury and weren't happy with how it was dealt with, but if it was over a year ago I don't see what you can do.

You need to contact a maritime attorney in Miami, though it I suspect that the statute of limitations has expired and you are out of luck. If NCL did respond within a few weeks they are not going to now.

Edited by zqvol

In general, you should always contact an attorney if you feel you have actual damages. Many times the contract you agree to when you purchase a ticket does not apply due to circumstances. The only valuable advice a non-legal person can give is to seek out an attorney.

There is a time limit on these things, but only an attorney can tell you if the company's time limit is valid or not. And an experienced attorney can also protect your future rights if your fall could cause a problem two years from now.

Usually companies try to placate someone who has been injured, so their response to you is puzzling. Maritime law may limit their exposure to liability enough that they don't have to care, but you should find out for yourself from an expert.

Are you sure which line you were injured on?

Why would going to the M&G give you any kind of preferential treatment? Surely you had the phone numbers to call from the dept. heads, you should have escalated all of this on the ship, not now.

So if I understand correctly, you are merely seeking the future credit you were promised? It seems to me that legal fees would likely wash this. The cruise contracts are typically written in such a way that the carrier has zero responsibility for any sort of complaint, it then takes a legal pro to fight the terms of the contract. This is typically cost prohibitive.

So if I understand correctly' date=' you are merely seeking the future credit you were promised? It seems to me that legal fees would likely wash this. The cruise contracts are typically written in such a way that the carrier has zero responsibility for any sort of complaint, it then takes a legal pro to fight the terms of the contract. This is typically cost prohibitive.[/quote']

Nope, once this gets to a lawyer, the claim will be for pain and suffering, loss of future income, humiliation and lost of self respect, PTSD and everything things else he can think of under the sun.

Send a letter to NCL Claims Dept along with a copy of the accident report that was filled out in Medical. NCL should have a copy in their Miami office which gets forwarded to them from medial. You had to sign the accident report before you left medical..

Uhhhh you were banged up on a NCL ship or a Royal Caribbean ship?

There is conflicting info there.

It has been a year and you haven't followed through? It is time to move on. Life is too short.

Edited by luddite

I think it is terrible the way you were treated by NCL

I hope you get what you are entitled to and what you were promised

I must ask about your comment as a cruise critic member and someone who attended the meet in greet why would you think you should be treated any different then any other passenger.

All passengers should be treated equal

Not negating what happened just thought your comment was odd

Going to an attorney should be your last resort. Take it from personal experience - any recovery you get will be more than eaten up by attorney's fees.

Try to deal with Norwegian first.

Hopefully you have sufficient documentation to support your claim.

Nope, once this gets to a lawyer, the claim will be for pain and suffering, loss of future income, humiliation and lost of self respect, PTSD and everything things else he can think of under the sun.

That is only IF an attorney will even bother with the case. Twice my family has tried to hire an attorney here to handle two separate injuries for DH and DS. Twice at least a dozen different attorneys told us it wasn't worth their time.

It is very demoralizing to be told you and your injury are "not worth it."

I would really like to know how people find attorneys that you hear about where the person tripped on a sidewalk or something and manages to get huge awards! In our case both injuries were clearly caused by others' negligence but apparently the damages weren't enough...

Edited by Medtech2

NCL ignored the OP because the OP didn't follow up. Why should they push something, regardless of who is at fault?

Nope. Ncl kept quiet because they were expecting a lawsuit.

The injured party was wrong to wait so long and is now out of luck and probably expected Ncl to contact them which wasn't going to happen

I would put money on it that the corporate law office was well aware of these pax so that is why they didn't reach out to them. It would be admitting guilt in this case

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am not necessarily promoting a lawsuit, if you pay an attorney for their time to write a letter on your behalf, I think it would get more attention than you writing a complaint on your own. It's just the first step, and hopefully all you would need, without having to escalate further.

If a lawyer tells you it's not worth their time, it's probably because they are looking at a pro bono or later payment situation. If they are paid for their time from the beginning, it is more likely you can get someone to help you.

It's not about a "huge" payday, it's about people/company taking responsibility for their actions and experiencing consequences, if appropriate.

(a) Suits for Injury or Death:

The Guest agrees that no suit, whether

brought in rem or in personam,

shall be maintained against the Carrier for emotional or physical injury, illness or death of Guest unless

written notice of the claim, including a complete factual account of the basis of such claim, is delivered to

the Carr

ier within 185 calendar days from the date of the incident giving rise to such injury, illness or

death; and no suit shall be maintainable unless commenced with

in

one (1) year from the day of the

incident giving rise to such injury, illness or death, notwi

thstanding any provision of law of any state or

country to the contrary.

you are SOL

Disclaimers mean nothing. He is not SOL.

I'm sorry, but re-read your cruise contract. I think the time limit has passed for when you had to submit a claim.

Once that statute of limitation is past, I don't think even a lawyer can help.

I'm surprised you didn't follow-up aboard ship, or at least within the first month.

Also, I'm another person who is confused as to whether it was Norwegian or Royal Caribbean since you mentioned both.

Edited by NMLady