Jeans in MDR? Yay or Nay?

Hello all,

We usually cruise UK/Med and we absolutely love dressing for dinner every night, and then really going to town on formal night. I have no issue with what anyone else chooses to do, this is just what we enjoy personally.

This summer will be our first caribbean cruise, and also the first time where we will have to take into account luggage restrictions. Therefore my thoughts have turned to what sort of clothing we will need for the evenings.

It's easy for me as a female as I will have a selection of pretty knee length dresses and heels which will be fine. For my husband, he will take a suit/tux for formal night, but will dark, smart jeans be ok for the other evenings? Is a cotton polo shirt (collared) acceptable in MDR on non-formal nights, or would a cotton shirt be more appropriate?

Not trying to start a debate (there's already one of those running!) just looking for some genuine info as we haven't cruised in warmer temps before with RCI.

Thanks all, happy sailing! [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Peardrop

What you have in mind is perfectly acceptable and appropriate, even if the dress suggestions in the cruise compass may not include jeans for men. Jeans are, in fact worn by many men on the non-formal nights (and perhaps also on formal nights).

We dress for formal nights, and wear casual for the casual/smart casual nights. For us, that means nice-looking jeans and polo shirts, short-sleeve cotton shirts, or "designer" t-shirts (such as Armani).

Yay or nay?

More like...another dress code thread...oy vey!

Not really...my questions have been answered and I'm reassured. Surely that's the purpose of CC? Not sure how your comment added anything...

Happy sailing all, and thank you again for the useful info.

Thank you both, that really helps and puts my mind at ease! Much appreciated [emoji3]

Keep in mind that is only two opinions. Those who do judge don't always do it to your face, but snicker behind your back. i prefer people follow the suggested dress for the MDR or dine in another venue.

And before those who say it is "my vacation", you chose to vacation on a cruise ship that has a dress code. You should respect it and your fellow passengers.

Let the flames begin! 🔥🔥🔥

Just wanted to add that neither my husband or myself take or wear jeans in the Caribbean. Even on ship, we both wear lighter fabrics. Jeans can be heavy to pack and with luggage fees being what they are, we are always watching the suitcase weight. Having said that, there is nothing in the dress code suggestions mentioning "no jeans" so you are good to go. But my reason for commenting is that it might be worth looking into some lighter khakis or something for your husband. He'll get use out of them at home during summer months, too. Just a suggestion. :)

Just wanted to add that neither my husband or myself take or wear jeans in the Caribbean. Even on ship, we both wear lighter fabrics. Jeans can be heavy to pack and with luggage fees being what they are, we are always watching the suitcase weight. Having said that, there is nothing in the dress code suggestions mentioning "no jeans" so you are good to go. But my reason for commenting is that it might be worth looking into some lighter khakis or something for your husband. He'll get use out of them at home during summer months, too. Just a suggestion. :)

Thank you Langley Cruisers, good advice. We usually holiday in Florida, Egypt or Turkey so we are used to the heat and the men in our group are usually in jeans or shorts at night. For a cruise, we won't personally be wearing shorts at night but most likely will go with jeans or lightweight trousers, and we will look forward to pulling out the stops on formal night!

Thank you again, happy cruising everyone! [emoji2]

Keep in mind that is only two opinions. Those who do judge don't always do it to your face, but snicker behind your back. i prefer people follow the suggested dress for the MDR or dine in another venue.

And before those who say it is "my vacation", you chose to vacation on a cruise ship that has a dress code. You should respect it and your fellow passengers.

Let the flames begin! 🔥🔥🔥

No one cares what you prefer.

Keep in mind that is only two opinions. Those who do judge don't always do it to your face, but snicker behind your back

Thank you for taking the time to post a reply, however I never worry about those who choose to snicker behind my back, I'm far too busy enjoying my vacation! I feel sorry that they have time in their day or space in their head to be worrying about me or what I'm wearing! And I speak as someone who adores dressing up on a cruise, but I want everyone to have the holiday they have dreamt about, wearing whatever they enjoy wearing.

Not really...my questions have been answered and I'm reassured. Surely that's the purpose of CC? Not sure how your comment added anything...

I was attempting to add some humor and levity. Get it? Yay...nay...oy vey? It rhymes...

Oh, nevermind!

My husband will wear a suit on formal night, however on the other nights he will wear pressed wrangler jeans and a nice collared shirt. He always jokingly says if it's good enough for George Straight, it's good enough for me. (Though I don't think he really joking)....lol. Have a great time!

Hello all,

We usually cruise UK/Med and we absolutely love dressing for dinner every night, and then really going to town on formal night. I have no issue with what anyone else chooses to do, this is just what we enjoy personally.

This summer will be our first caribbean cruise, and also the first time where we will have to take into account luggage restrictions. Therefore my thoughts have turned to what sort of clothing we will need for the evenings.

It's easy for me as a female as I will have a selection of pretty knee length dresses and heels which will be fine. For my husband, he will take a suit/tux for formal night, but will dark, smart jeans be ok for the other evenings? Is a cotton polo shirt (collared) acceptable in MDR on non-formal nights, or would a cotton shirt be more appropriate?

Not trying to start a debate (there's already one of those running!) just looking for some genuine info as we haven't cruised in warmer temps before with RCI.

Thanks all, happy sailing! [emoji2]

Dress how you wish! I can tell you that when I sail out of Galveston, I wear jeans with confidence. Most on the ship are fellow Texans and jeans are very sociably acceptable. I'm sure it's that way in Florida as well. Having said this, on formal nights, I wear dockers or a dress slack.

My hubby wears Docker pants and polo shirts for non-formal nights and a black suit for formal nights. The Dockers are a little lighter than jeans. I wear sundresses and dressy capri outfits for non-formal nights and cocktail dresses for formal nights.