Explain how the electric slot works

happytovacation

I OFTEN HEAR THAT PEOPLE SLIDE A CARD INTO THE SLOT FOR ELECTRICITY

DO YOU SLIDE YOUR SHIP CARD INTO THE SLOT AS YOU ENTER YOUR ROOM?

AND WHY DO YOU NEED TO KEEP AN EXTRA CARD IN THE SLOT IF YOU

LEAVE THE ROOM? DOES THE AIR CONDITIONER STAY ON IF YOU DON't LEAVE

A CARD IN THE SLOT? I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE PURPOSE OF THE EXTRA

CARD IN THE SLOT? CAN SOMEONE BE KING ENOUGH TO EXPLAIN IT.

MANY THANKS TO ALL OF YOU

Never needed an "extra card". You put your card in the slot by the door once you are in so the lights will work. Somebody can correct if I'm wrong but I don't think it has any thing to do with AC just an attempt to save energy when people leave the lights on.

The newer Princess ships, the Royal and Regal, have a slot by the door that turns the lights on when you slide your cruise card into it. The slot is like the slot that you put your cruise card in to unlock the cabin door, only after opening the cabin door, you also put the cruise card in the slot to turn the lights on. The idea is that when leaving the cabin, you will take your key card out of the slot, which turns off the lights to the room. It's supposed to make it easier to turn off all of the lights when leaving the cabin than having to go to each switch.

A problem may occur, however, when those who are not used to this system forget to remove the cabin card from the lighting system and end up getting locked out of the cabin. If you might forget to remove the card, it helps to have a second card to keep in the slot at all times instead of the cruise card to your cabin. You can still turn the lights off when leaving the room by slightly lifting up the card from the slot, but you have the security of knowing that you always have the key card with you so that you won't lock yourself out. I'm not sure if the card also turns the air conditioning to the room off, but I would be surprised if it did. Others here may know.

Edited by Mackenzie1

I brought an old cruise card and used that in the slot. That way I always had my current cruise card with me. A gift card would also work.

Also, note to OP. Normally posting etiquette is to not use all capital letters. This, in posts, is considered like you are shouting at us.

If I am charging electronics and don't have a card in the slot (when we are out of the room), will they still charge? Or is it just the lights that are controlled? Looking forward to our first cruise on the Royal next year!

Thanks!

When we were on the Royal we brought along a older cruise card to keep in the slot. The logistics problem is two in the cabin. Your card is in the slot. You leave the cabin while the other is still asleep, and take along your card. The other person then can't use the lights until they get up and place their card into the slot. Better to have the extra card. Believe the electric plugs still work with no card as does the AC/Heat.

When we were on the Royal we brought along a older cruise card to keep in the slot. The logistics problem is two in the cabin. Your card is in the slot. You leave the cabin while the other is still asleep, and take along your card. The other person then can't use the lights until they get up and place their card into the slot. Better to have the extra card. Believe the electric plugs still work with no card as does the AC/Heat.

I happened to have one with me and used it. I should add that I was very careful to turn out the lights when I left the cabin. The thing is, I make a habit to leave the cruise card on my lanyard hanging from the inside doorhandle, and if I put it in the slot, I might forget it.

in Europe/UK, it you take the card out anything running on electric power stops after about a minute.

So anything plugged in will stop. TV/fridge/ac and light will stop.

We just use a store card in the slot , to keep the contact going when we leave as we like the room cool and the fridge too.

Have only done a one night cruise so far so I don't know if it's different on a ship.

The newer Princess ships, the Royal and Regal, have a slot by the door that turns the lights on when you slide your cruise card into it.

Thanks for identifying that the discussion is abut the Royal and the Regal. We have done 24 Princess cruises now but never on either of these two new ships.

I initially thought that the OP was for some reason referring to a hotel room in Europe!

Terry

in Europe/UK, it you take the card out anything running on electric power stops after about a minute.

So anything plugged in will stop. TV/fridge/ac and light will stop.

We just use a store card in the slot , to keep the contact going when we leave as we like the room cool and the fridge too.

That's the fun part. When the food and medicine in the fridge spoils.

I have only see the fridge turned off in this instance in a hotel in China.

On the plus side, I know where to find my key card instead of searching the room for it ;)

Really. You're lucky. I just can't get used to it.

On both on cruise ships and in hotels I invariably myself frantically searching through my pockets for my card, only to suddenly feel very stupid when I finally remember that it is in the power enable slot. :eek:

Anything that is the right size that fits in the slot will work. On our Regal cruise I just folded up a sheet of the Princess note paper so it was the correct size and was stiff enough to click the switch in the bottom of the slot. Worked fine and we never forgot our cabin cards because they were in our pockets.

BTW, when you remove the card, or whatever you are using, from the slot there is a time delay of half a minute or so before the lights go out. And don't leave that something in the slot when you leave as the cabin steward will likely take it away if he/she comes in while you are gone.:cool:

I was on Royal for the first time with my 80-year old Mom recently and it was actually pretty late when we boarded (noro cleaning delay.) We got into the cabin around 4:45PM when it was kind of dark and the first thing Mom did was try every light switch - Oh no! None of the lights work! It took me a minute to remember (thank you, Cruise Critic) that there's a new card slot for that. I clapped my hands twice, dropped in my card and voila: lights. Mom was incredulous. "How ever did they get The Clapper installed in every cabin on a ship this big?"

I know. I'm a bad daughter. :)

BTW, when you remove the card, or whatever you are using, from the slot there is a time delay of half a minute or so before the lights go out.

Yes. Works well when you remove the card, leave the cabin, and 30 seconds later the lights go out when your cabinmate is in the shower.

And don't leave that something in the slot when you leave as the cabin steward will likely take it away if he/she comes in while you are gone. Our cabin steward provided an old cruise card in the slot and it was there for the entire cruise.

I do suggest not using an old credit card as the information on it may be current enough to have it used for credit card fraud.

Edited by caribill

If I am charging electronics and don't have a card in the slot (when we are out of the room), will they still charge? Or is it just the lights that are controlled? Looking forward to our first cruise on the Royal next year!

Thanks!

I think it also controls the plugs as once during the daytime I hadn't put a card in the slot & the TV didn't work. I also use an old cruise card but any credit card size works.

One annoying thing about the Royal's electrical system...when turning on the light in the closet area it also turns on a bright ceiling light over the bed. :( That results in waking up my wife if I turn on the closet area light outside of the bathroom. To me that's a "what were they thinking" scenario because on other Princess ships these lights can be operated independently. I'll soon learn if this mistake was repeated on the Regal...hope not. ;)

On the plus side, I know where to find my key card instead of searching the room for it ;)

I wish that Princess would have a cheap plastic card slot by the front door like on RCI...that made it much easier to "find" my cabin card. :p

I think it also controls the plugs as once during the daytime I hadn't put a card in the slot & the TV didn't work. I also use an old cruise card but any credit card size works.

One annoying thing about the Royal's electrical system...when turning on the light in the closet area it also turns on a bright ceiling light over the bed. :( That results in waking up my wife if I turn on the closet area light outside of the bathroom. To me that's a "what were they thinking" scenario because on other Princess ships these lights can be operated independently. I'll soon learn if this mistake was repeated on the Regal...hope not. ;)

Thanks Astro! We will be sure to take a library card or some such 'safe' option!

I think the card slot controls only the lights and the TV. On these ships, the TV is on the wall opposite the bed, not on a shelf. The outlets are not affected as you can charge your camera, phone, etc. while you're out of the cabin.

As for the light in the dressing area, I bring a night light for the bathroom. That's usually bright enough to light up the closet. Your phone has a flashlight. :)

I think the card slot controls only the lights and the TV. On these ships, the TV is on the wall opposite the bed, not on a shelf. The outlets are not affected as you can charge your camera, phone, etc. while you're out of the cabin.

As for the light in the dressing area, I bring a night light for the bathroom. That's usually bright enough to light up the closet. Your phone has a flashlight. :)

Thanks...that makes sense. :)

We bring a night light (the greenish-blue circular glowing light) to see at night & have a small flashlight for in the bathroom. We've hesitated to use the glowing nightlight in the bathroom's "shaver only" socket which I've read may be okay.