Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

He will tell you to stock up on KY and bend over. If history is the guide, NCL will survive this. The airlines all did after introducing $25 baggage fee.

The difference between NCL's and the airline's implementation is that the airline's did not make it retroactive. Customers booked prior to the announcement of baggage fees were grandfathered in, they were not subject to the new fees. For those currently booked on NCL cruises it is very much a case of "bait and switch". And the laughable carrier contract has so many out clauses that there can be no recourse.

In reality, there was never a charge for room service.

Let's be honest.....

the reason it doesn't bother you is because you don't use room service. You......go to the buffet so you can 'eat all you want' or to the MDR.

The reason all I posted doesn't bother you is because 'it's not a reality.

But if it was....

You'd be bothered!

Imagine, Chris...only ONE (1) dessert per meal!

Harriet

I'm not much of a dessert guy lol. but if you're going to say imagine if technically we can imagine if anything. If wishes were fishes the world would be an ocean

I'm not much of a dessert guy lol. but if you're going to say imagine if technically we can imagine if anything. If wishes were fishes the world would be an ocean

I'm only trying to show that even though YOU don't use an option that is available on the ship that does not mean that others do or don't either and you simply need to be a little more considerate. You're not coming off as a 'nice guy'. LOL

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

I'm only trying to show that even though YOU don't use an option that is available on the ship that does not mean that others do and you simply need to be a little more considerate. You're not coming off as a 'nice guy'. LOL

Harriet

If you want to use an example of something that affects me the no smoking on your balcony thing affected me and nobody gave two craps on that post lol

I wonder if the added room service fees will make the buffets/sit downs more crowded. So instead of eating room service bfast; passengers will go upstairs to the buffet and actually eat more. This could even backfire for them raising the food consumption per person. lol

When my kids were young teens they used to delight in ordering room service and I would leave a stack of dollar bills in their safe to tip the delivery person nicely.

I guess if their marketing department wasn't standing in the unemployment line, NCL could spin this around. The proper communication would be that the entire (terrible) room service program has been scrapped and replaced with expanded choices, Lavazaa coffee, guaranteed service, and a friendly smile for just a small fee...

Walmart, Dollar Store and budget airlines don't need great PR or marketing when their bargain price stickers are enough to draw in the crowd. I am sure NCL fully expects some initial push back we see here but given time, new bargain hunting passengers will more than replace the ones who swear they won't cruise NCL again.

What if you had a cruise coming up next week' date=' and had purchased a UBP. Then today they announce that the UBP is only good for 5 drinks per day. What say you?[/quote']

I would be upset but in reality that is not happening. how come to try to prove your point people on here are playing the what if game?

You are right it has been free but now its not. if anyone thinks I'm coming off as a jerk there is a specific reason behind it that is how all of you came off when I was sincerely upset about smoking being banned on the balcony I pay for. everyone was like yay no more smoking.

Just a side note: I dont think they got the memo on the stern of the Getaway.

At one point or another , I'd say about half of the stern Balcony cabins were smoking away this past week .. At least half :eek:

Maybe NCL can charge a fee .. like a book of smoking coupons... :p

If you want to use an example of something that affects me the no smoking on your balcony thing affected me and nobody gave two craps on that post lol

It affected me to! It affected a lot of people. However, there are more non smokers than smokers. So of course there was more people who were for the non smoking ban on balconies. Smoking, also DOES affect others.

Having room service does not.

And, just because most were in agreement with the smoking ban on balconies give you the right to 'not give two craps' about anything that does not affect you. That's makes you just like them!

Harriet

The contract never said this was free.

As much as this and several other recent NCL actions have left a bad taste in my mouth, they are not contractual issues. Your contract only guarantees your cruise fare...not taxes, not service charges, not gratuities, not prices of shore excursions you haven't paid for in advance, not prices the specialty restaurants, spa, of photographs, etc. The contract doesn't even guarantee the itinerary at the time you paid your fare will be followed.

It most certainly said room service was included in the fare. Now they are saying it is not. They are now charging for something that was agreed to by them to be included in the fare. That's fraud.

I call BS on this thread.

Directly from their Facebook page:

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced a new enhanced room service menu which is being tested on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast in addition to a wider variety of options available on the 24 hour menu. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge will be added to each order placed. As we test and refine this new room service menu the convenience charge will be $7.95 on Norwegian Breakaway and $4.95 on board Norwegian Getaway. During the test room service across the balance of the fleet remains unchanged.

These free promos allowed them to raise the cruise fares, raise the drink prices, increase the auto grat on drinks, add an new auto grat on specialties, increase the Daily Service Charge, and now add a hefty service charge to Room Service under the guise of an "enhanced menu". I'm sure the hope was that we'd all be so giddy with the great deal we had we either wouldn't notice or care too much. And IMO, they aren't done yet.

And how do they think the passengers who didn't get any free promos feel about all the increases?

It most certainly said room service was included in the fare. Now they are saying it is not. They are now charging for something that was agreed to by them to be included in the fare. That's fraud.

Here's the contract. Please tell me where it says room service is included in the fare. It says in paragraph 3. (a) "full board and ordinary vessel food" is included in your fare, not that room service is complimentary.

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Guest_Ticket_Contract_03_2014.pdf

Also read paragraph 2. It says that this contract governs the relationship between the guest and NCL, and supersedes and excludes any other representations.

Edited by njhorseman

I don't know where I must have been, but I never remember any decent dinner choices on the room service menu. In fact that might be one of the reasons we have never been users of room service. The only decent room service we have seen was HAL.

They revamped the room service menu in the mid-2000s and it went south at that point. Breakfast became very simple and the rest of the menu was simplified as well. Not more real entrees besides burgers and grilled cheese sandwiches.

I also wonder what this is going to do with guests who are quarantined to their cabin due to a suspected stomach bug. Will they have to pay the service charge for room service when they feel better but under ship's orders still can't leave their rooms? I think this is a bad idea because people will leave to get food and mingle with the rest of the passengers to avoid the fee.

Here's the contract. Please tell me where it says room service is included in the fare. It says in paragraph 3. (a) "full board and ordinary vessel food" is included in your fare, not that room service is complimentary.

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Guest_Ticket_Contract_03_2014.pdf

Full board and ordinary vessel food would include room service, since it was complimentary. The specialty restaurants are different, and were noted so, with specific charges for them. Perhaps you don't like complimentary being equated with free?

They revamped the room service menu in the mid-2000s and it went south at that point. Breakfast became very simple and the rest of the menu was simplified as well. Not more real entrees besides burgers and grilled cheese sandwiches.

I also wonder what this is going to do with guests who are quarantined to their cabin due to a suspected stomach bug. Will they have to pay the service charge for room service when they feel better but under ship's orders still can't leave their rooms? I think this is a bad idea because people will leave to get food and mingle with the rest of the passengers to avoid the fee.

I think they should have a way for the ship doc to waive the fee.....

Full board and ordinary vessel food would include room service, since it was complimentary. The specialty restaurants are different, and were noted so, with specific charges for them. Perhaps you don't like complimentary being equated with free?

None of these things are "free", and less and less are "included".

Directly from their Facebook page:

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced a new enhanced room service menu which is being tested on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast in addition to a wider variety of options available on the 24 hour menu. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge will be added to each order placed. As we test and refine this new room service menu the convenience charge will be $7.95 on Norwegian Breakaway and $4.95 on board Norwegian Getaway. During the test room service across the balance of the fleet remains unchanged.

Instead of making it a la carte pricing per item, they're saying all items on the menu are free but like pizza delivery - there's a charge for delivery to your cabin. Big play on words, same end result - a fee that wasn't there before. Yes more selection on the menu but can you go to the room service kitchen and pick up your items instead of paying the fee? I doubt it. :eek::D

New changes Chris,

You now have to pay $3.00 for the towel you'll be using in the spa per day.

You can only have one dessert per meal or there's a $2.00 charge for each additional dessert.

You also will have to pay $5.00 for the seat you're going to sit in for the show. The show is free, the charge is for the seat.

If you tender and take up more than a small portion of the seat you have to pay $4.00 extra since you take up more space they can't fit the allotted number of passengers in that tender and will need to use more tenders. More tenders cost more money.

The snow room in the spa has an addition charge to everyone of $5.00. You can go to the spa but you don't have to go to the snow room.

Oh, and the Grotto, it's there but there's a cover charge of $6.00 if you wish to actually go there.

If you want any of the above.....you'll now have to pay for it, Chris.

Enjoy your cruise!:D

Harriet

One has to pay $25 for the better beach towel than the free basic one that comes with the room.

One also has to pay about $5-10 (whatever is the cost) of ice cream dessert in O'Sheenan's, a complimentary food venue. Where you also pay for drinks like beer not cover by the fare. You also pay for drinks that not include in the fare in buffet and MDR, too.

You pay about $4 for fresh sqeeze juice in the buffet. Oh, there free orange flavored water but its not same thing.

You already pay $39-40 for show at Cirque and Magic Show, where both should be offered free without the cover charge meal. Snd if you're a suite you pretty much have to tip the concierge for reserving you seats at the free shows anyway.

You have to take about X number of cruises (which means you have to had least paid the port fees and taxes) as Latidudes member to get priority tendering anyway.

I could go on and on about all the actual hidden fees no one seems to be complaining that be going on under O'Sheenan for a while but should. And these new charges are a surprise? No its not if you actually been paying attention - took an equivalent of heavy dumbbell to the face to make all of you realize how really extensive and insidious the nickel and diming has been. I've been very aware of nickel and diming, its call "I don't have to pay for the majority of the extras /fall for the ploy to enjoy my vacation.". Some of you should had open your eyes a long time if this is effecting you now since its been going on for like years.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk