Porters?

ladyruby

Carry it on yourself. ;)

As long as it fits through the xray your good to go.

We have big suitcases and have never had an issue in the few times we carried ours on.

But if you use the porters it is very safe, we have not had an issue.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

As been posted, you carry your jewelry, meds, electronics, on board yourself. Your bigger bags are given to one of the porters. After all, they aren't going to steal your luggage, if that's what you're concerned about.

If it would make you feel more comfortable, after you give your luggage to the porter, along with a gratuity ($1/bag is plenty), you can watch them put the luggage into the container that will be placed aboard your ship.

IN the US, porters are not Princess employees. Most, if not all, are union workers who get a very nice wage for the job. In their defense, getting the job for cruise ships can be hard as it is done by seniority (Union rules) and some areas (think SF) do not have an abundance of cruise traffic. I worked, shore side, in San Francisco with passenger boarding and saw porters that almost demanded a tip while others went about their job-I did not see any turn down a tip:). I observed the porters as they sized up the boarding passengers and could see a "hurry-up" or "slow down" in their hurry (or not) to be the first to reach certain passengers. The rush was on for folks arriving in limos, while there did not seem to be any hurry to help those getting off the street cars (trams). I did turn in a couple of these porters who I felt were trying to "bully" some into tips.

Porters take your luggage, put it on a cart, push the cart to the screening area. That is the last they see of it. From the screening area it is put into large cages which are sorted by area of the ship (Big letters on tag ;PF; SA; etc tell the sorters which cage to put luggage in. Fork lift takes that cage to that part of the ship and it is hoisted aboard. From there it is sorted by the room stewards; sent to correct deck and then taken to your stateroom. Room Stewards probably handle your luggage far more than the shore side porters. Same story for disembarkation with the you deciding if you need shore side help from the porters or want to take your luggage from baggage claim to the pickup point yourself.

Last I heard the porters were being paid in excess of $35 per hour.

I have no recent experience on the US West Coast ports as to their porter services. I have lots of very recent experiences at Fort Lauderdale and Baltimore.

The women and men who are porters at the cruise terminals, whether they assist arriving cruisers with their luggage or whether they assist disembarking cruisers with their luggage, are well worth their salaries, whatever they are paid, as well as a "thank you for helping me" with a proper gratuity.

As I become more mature in years, I grow in my appreciation of the services that are provided to help me to keep traveling. A few dollars spent to one who helps me with my luggage is of little importance to me.

There actually is a secret trick to getting your luggage safely on the ship.

Be nice.

Say thank you.

That will do it.

---

Tipping is optional, UNLESS they help unload your vehicle or your bags are heavy or numerous. Then its customary.

I have no recent experience on the US West Coast ports as to their porter services. I have lots of very recent experiences at Fort Lauderdale and Baltimore.

The women and men who are porters at the cruise terminals, whether they assist arriving cruisers with their luggage or whether they assist disembarking cruisers with their luggage, are well worth their salaries, whatever they are paid, as well as a "thank you for helping me" with a proper gratuity.

As I become more mature in years, I grow in my appreciation of the services that are provided to help me to keep traveling. A few dollars spent to one who helps me with my luggage is of little importance to me.

Absolutely!

LuLu

32 cruises and every bag has made it to our cabin

My bags have as well.

I did meet one person who drove to the ship, checked a bag,

and it didn't make it onboard.

And, often on Princess, bags which have lost their tags are placed

in an area near the purser's desk on the first night.

On one cruise, I saw a bag there with a tag for a different ship

(on a different cruise line). That was REALLY lost.

I've never had a problem no matter if it is the states or worldwide. People I've talked to missing their luggage were generally airline issues, plane transfers, etc.! 23+ cruises, when I've put my bag on a cart, given it to a porter, no concerns.

I've cruised from both the U.S. (Florida) and various ports in Europe.....NEVER a problem!! The porters are way to busy to do anything with any bag other than put it in the area where it goes on the ship. As far as hourly pay please remember they only work a few hours and depending on the port not every day. These people do a great service and I believe tips make up a decent part of the total compensation. Frankly I need and appreciate their help with our very heavy bags.

We disembarked the Caribbean Princess on Monday in FLL and had a porter help us with our luggage. It took at least 30 minutes to get throught the customs line and our porter took us all the way to our car parked in the garage!

Umm, we got on a ship in Buenos Aires last February and one of our three bags did not make it onto the ship. We had watched as the porters loaded the bags out of the bus and put it on the trolleys. Watched the trolleys go to the terminal.

This was on Celebrity Infinity. They did give us $200 to get my DH some warm stuff, because that was gone and we were going to Antarctica. They also gave us free laundry. They sent a flyer around to have the stewards check the cabins, but they weren't allowed to look in closets. Only under the bed. And now we get to do a lovely claim with homeowners and travel insurance. Poop.

Anyway, it can happen. It is rare, but it can. Make sure you have a change of clothes in your carryon, and have all the technology, medications, and jewelry with you. Invest in some nice costume jewelry and leave the good stuff at home or in the safe deposit box.