I can't believe it!

npb

I try to remember there are two sides to every story and somewhere in the middle lies what actually happened. For instance, we haven't been told yet if security was called or if he (or she) happened to be in the vicinity. It could be that seeing a relatively-senior staff member holding a plate of food in the elevator lobby caught their attention and they wandered over out of curiosity. I've noted Celebrity's security tends to be low-key. They're around, but not really calling attention to themselves. Others' observations may certainly vary.

And "chastising" can be interpreted in a number of ways. Was it a scolding finger wag or more of a request to specify what was actually wrong with the meal? Elaboration could clear this up.

Or it could be exactly as described by OP and this was the proverbial straw that pushed the maitre 'd over the line of professionalism.

I try to remember there are two sides to every story and somewhere in the middle lies what actually happened. For instance, we haven't been told yet if security was called or if he (or she) happened to be in the vicinity. It could be that seeing a relatively-senior staff member holding a plate of food in the elevator lobby caught their attention and they wandered over out of curiosity. I've noted Celebrity's security tends to be low-key. They're around, but not really calling attention to themselves. Others' observations may certainly vary.

And "chastising" can be interpreted in a number of ways. Was it a scolding finger wag or more of a request to specify what was actually wrong with the meal? Elaboration could clear this up.

Or it could be exactly as described by OP and this was the proverbial straw that pushed the maitre 'd over the line of professionalism.

You make some good observations, here. But, the bottom line for me is this:

Unless said passenger is violating either the law, or a clearly defined cruiseline policy, the words "chastise" and "confront" should never be used to describe any staff member's interaction with a paying passenger! :eek:

I'm hoping the OP will come back on this thread and explain exactly why they were accosted by security, what they said to get security involved, and what did security say to them.

I want to know what "really" happened. Were there any provoking words being said?

You make some good observations, here. But, the bottom line for me is this:

Unless said passenger is violating either the law, or a clearly defined cruiseline policy, the words "chastise" and "confront" should never be used to describe any staff member's interaction with a paying passenger! :eek:

Chastisment, as someone mentioned previously, can mean different things to different people.

On our last cruise, in the lineup for stir fry (different cruiseline), everyone in the lineup was made aware of a "confrontation" when a passenger loudly chastised the server with, "YOU don't tell me what I want, I tell YOU what I want". The server looked thoroughly embarrassed. I don't know what preceded her words, but ...

Her tone was condescending and imperious. I was taken aback and speechless, continuing my shuffle through the lineup along with everyone else. The woman appeared completely unaware of her incredible rudeness.

By the time I got to my seat I was embarrassed and ashamed by my silence. No one should treat anyone with that level of condescension and rudeness ... chastisment, if you prefer.

So I guess, when I read a post without much contextual information, I can't help thinking/remembering that there are a lot of passengers who somehow think the price of passage includes the right to chastise and belittle the staff. It doesn't. And oddly, those passengers seem completely oblivious.

I agree. Something's missing from this story. Security doesn't just show up for the heck of it. There had to be something else going on. Why hasn't NPB responded unless I missed it.

It makes sense the matri dee or chef would come out but security.ive been on 5 cruises and never had an issue with the food on either Holland America, Princess ,RCI. Maybe I'm not that fussy. But have enjoyed most of the food on the cruises I've been on. If not be nice to the waiter and they will bring you something else.

Sure would like to hear the rest of the story.

DH and I spent two weeks on Reflection in February.

Was the food spectacular? No, but it was certainly fine. We've learned that we like to ask what is planned for the next night, and they will usually be happy to let us see the menu. If we don't care for what is offered, we either eat elsewhere or have something from the every day side. There is always plenty of food.

On rare occasions, we even ask for something special!

We thought the hotel director, Jamie, was personable and visible, and can't imagine him not responding. Frankly, one does not reach that level in a company without demonstrating competence. The F&B Manager, David, was also visible and personable. The Restaurant Manager was similarly visible during means. Plus, there were plenty of Asst Maitre'Ds and Head Waiters around to solve issues. I don't recall who was the Maitre'D, but we often don't seem to see that individual.

I believe npb are currently on a TA, so might not readily have access to the intanet.

Or they read a few of the nasty comments (since been removed) and thought screw you CC.;)

Or they are enjoying their cruise in the real world and don't have time to waste in the virtual world like the rest of us.:)

And to why security was called my theory is that the OP's therapy poodle bit the maitre' D'. Discuss...........................

Chastisment, as someone mentioned previously, can mean different things to different people.

On our last cruise, in the lineup for stir fry (different cruiseline), everyone in the lineup was made aware of a "confrontation" when a passenger loudly chastised the server with, "YOU don't tell me what I want, I tell YOU what I want". The server looked thoroughly embarrassed. I don't know what preceded her words, but ...

Her tone was condescending and imperious. I was taken aback and speechless, continuing my shuffle through the lineup along with everyone else. The woman appeared completely unaware of her incredible rudeness.

By the time I got to my seat I was embarrassed and ashamed by my silence. No one should treat anyone with that level of condescension and rudeness ... chastisment, if you prefer.

So I guess, when I read a post without much contextual information, I can't help thinking/remembering that there are a lot of passengers who somehow think the price of passage includes the right to chastise and belittle the staff. It doesn't. And oddly, those passengers seem completely oblivious.

You are my hero.

Last year on equinox, an incredibly rude woman dressed down a server in ocean view about her poached egg, of all things. I was waiting for my omelet, and stared at her but was silent. She was oblivious to how condescending she was. I was shocked into silence, but to this day wish I had spoken up.

I agree that some people who are oblivious to their bad behaviour are very usually those who claim, 'they have no idea!'.

Sent from my Arc using Forums mobile app

Several years ago on the Millenium, we had the worst waiter. She got orders mixed up. She took extrememly long time to bring food. Food was cold and dry. After suffering through several terrible meals, we left in the middle of dinner. We had waited over an hour without getting any food. The maitr'd followed us making excuses for the poor service and terrible food. He was very rude. I just wanted to get some food. I wasn't looking for an argument or making a scene. We ate at the Oceanview Cafe. Next night we switched to Select. It was completely different.....hot food, speedy service. Had I not switched to Select Dining, I would have never sailed on Celebrity again. I have enjoyed many cruises since that experience on the Millenium. I have not sailed on the Millenium again. Nobody needs to be harrassed. The old slogan was "you are the star" was about attitude. If the paying guest is harrassed by the staff, the guest will probably not return. Lost revenue is certainly not a goal. Sevice people should remember to treat guests politely. Fortunately most Celebrory staff are charming.

Several years ago on the Millenium, we had the worst waiter. She got orders mixed up. She took extrememly long time to bring food. Food was cold and dry. After suffering through several terrible meals, we left in the middle of dinner. We had waited over an hour without getting any food. The maitr'd followed us making excuses for the poor service and terrible food. He was very rude. I just wanted to get some food. I wasn't looking for an argument or making a scene. We ate at the Oceanview Cafe. Next night we switched to Select. It was completely different.....hot food, speedy service. Had I not switched to Select Dining, I would have never sailed on Celebrity again. I have enjoyed many cruises since that experience on the Millenium. I have not sailed on the Millenium again. Nobody needs to be harrassed. The old slogan was "you are the star" was about attitude. If the paying guest is harrassed by the staff, the guest will probably not return. Lost revenue is certainly not a goal. Sevice people should remember to treat guests politely. Fortunately most Celebrity staff are charming.

I wouldn't chastise another passenger because that could make it worse but when they left....

If I was certain I'd heard the entire conversation I almost certainly would, otherwise some people carry on oblivious that their behaviour is unacceptable.

I wouldn't chastise another passenger because that could make it worse but when they left I would make a point of speaking to the crew member who had been treated badly by a fellow passenger.

I've done exactly that.

I think the poor frustrated crew member can at least feel slightly vindicated without causing a scene.

(Or I'm just a chicken and don't like confrontation. :o )

I STILL don't think the OP did anything wrong, BTW.

I've done exactly that.

I think the poor frustrated crew member can at least feel slightly vindicated without causing a scene.

(Or I'm just a chicken and don't like confrontation. :o )

I STILL don't think the OP did anything wrong, BTW.

We only get the OP's side of the story. Unfortunately we won't ever get the other side of the story to find out what really happened. You don't get security involved for no reason at all, in my opinion.

I've done exactly that.

(Or I'm just a chicken and don't like confrontation. .

Yes. Me too. I don't think it appropriate to admonish another passenger when I am the third party.

Maybe when the OP returns home he/she will enlighten us further.

I can't imagine someone carrying a plate of food and following a pax to the elevator.

Very bizarre!

And security???

I can't imagine the reason.

One thing is certain. I wouldn't fault the OP. I think it is very ungenerous for posters to do so, not knowing the circumstances.

For those on the same cruise that posted of their wonderful experiences.

What does that prove?

I also wouldn't interfere if I saw a pax berating a crew member. It's not my job! The crew member is trained to handle such occurances.

That's it!! My 2 cents!

I've been the person on the receiving end of a rude customer service issue.

Let me tell you- I was thankful that a 'third party' stood up for me when I was unable to.

There is nothing wrong with bringing unacceptable behaviour to someone's attention.

As a customer/passenger, I do find bad customer service unacceptable. I demand good customer service, and I also am a polite customer.

There was a night in the MDR on Equinox where my food got so messed up it was comical. Our server did EVERYTHING in his power to fix it. At the end we all had a good laugh and i ordered something completely different. He offered me exceptional service and i was polite. I also offered him the opportunity to fix the problem. Customer etiquette 101.

I am most certainly not trained in dealing with either unruly passengers nor joining in with other passengers who feel they experience poor service.

I see your point, but I think it's important to speak up when you see someone being bullied. It's as important to let the bully know the behaviour is not tacitly approved of (by silence) as it is to let the victim know he/she has support. Hence my shame at staying silent in the particular experience I had.

Of course, this a bit of a tangent, as we have no way of knowing the details of the OP's experience.

I see your point, but I think it's important to speak up when you see someone being bullied. It's as important to let the bully know the behaviour is not tacitly approved of (by silence) as it is to let the victim know he/she has support. Hence my shame at staying silent in the particular experience I had.

Not so sure.

I was standing in line for eggs at Breakfast. Guy loudly & rudely demanded to know how long 3 eggs over easy would take. Everyone standing around had a bemused look on their face. When the server put them on the plate, the guy shouted " one of those eggs is broken" The server offered to get some more, after more berating I enquired of the server " is the pharmacy open because those happy pills sure aren't working and need replacing".

Lots of smiles from the the people around (except one :rolleyes:) The server very professionally said nothing and didn't change facial expression. After finishing Breakfast at the back of the ship we walked through OV and I waited at the exit whilst Boss Lady was in toilet. I was then confronted by 'broken egg man' who berated me and told me to "butt out".

Perhaps he was right ?

I do not like to see the hard working staff being abused in this way so I am afraid I will "Butt in".

Edited by gcgold

Not so sure.

I was standing in line for eggs at Breakfast. Guy loudly & rudely demanded to know how long 3 eggs over easy would take. Everyone standing around had a bemused look on their face. When the server put them on the plate, the guy shouted " one of those eggs is broken" The server offered to get some more, after more berating I enquired of the server " is the pharmacy open because those happy pills sure aren't working and need replacing".

Lots of smiles from the the people around (except one :rolleyes:) The server very professionally said nothing and didn't change facial expression. After finishing Breakfast at the back of the ship we walked through OV and I waited at the exit whilst Boss Lady was in toilet. I was then confronted by 'broken egg man' who berated me and told me to "butt out".

Perhaps he was right ?

I do not like to see the hard working staff being abused in this way so I am afraid I will "Butt in".

I agree. It doesn't require training to deal with a rude person. It simply requires compassion.

A great answer to people like this is let them get it all out, then smile sweetly and say, "Have a wonderful day!"