I can't believe it!

npb

With the exception of the ribeye steak, all of our meals on our 11 night med cruise on the Reflection in June 2014 were outstanding. Service and staff were all excellent.

Not passing judgement on this post yet as I don't have all the facts. But as others have said, there is more to this story.

Food is subjective; everyone has a different opinion as to what "good" is.

We much prefer the specialty restaurants over the MDR and try to avoid the MDR as much as possible. To each his own.

The story seemed choppy to me; like pieces and parts were left out. I think the OP was posting while onboard, so maybe something happened to part of the post?

I know this is going to offend the Celebrity fanatics, but (only very slightly tongue-in-cheek) the food was so mediocre, I began to remember how good the food was on our last NCL cruise. I can guarantee that the food was far superior on our last HAL cruise in 2013. The chicken was so dry and so tasteless that I wanted to go in the kitchen and show the chef where the spice rack was located... then show the cooks how to make the chicken moist. Sorry, I'm not really a foody, but I have taken a lot of courses and I know crappy food when I taste it. I had such high hopes when I booked this cruise. I had read all these wonderful CC posts about how great the food was. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good as I was expecting given all the praise I'd been reading. No better than HAL, NCL, Princess or RCL. But I think that's what we can all expect in the future now that the medium-priced cruise lines are owned by two companies. Expect cuts in all areas including food and service because the bottom line is all that counts now.

We are currently b2b on the Reflection. This is our 28th and 29th Celebrity cruise plus many on RCL so we are not new to cruising.

Two nights ago, our table of three ordered two different entrées. They were both terrible so we decided to go to the Oceanview Cafe for dinner. Before we were able to leave the table, the Hostess happened by and we told her that we were dissatisfied with the meal. She picked up one of plates and offered a different entrée, the Maître' de or the chef.

My GUESS (is this Mystery Dinner Theatre?) is they were in a specialty restaurant and left on their own without paying and staff were trying to resolve the situation. The OP did NOT specify MDR.

My GUESS (is this Mystery Dinner Theatre?) is they were in a specialty restaurant and left on their own without paying and staff were trying to resolve the situation. The OP did NOT specify MDR.

Interesting guess...but we got up after the sushi course in Silk Harvest and left (yes, it was that bad) and the maitre d' asked why we leaving...I was honest...and he offered us a free meal if we wanted to return (they didn't charge us for the meal we left)..and the next day they called and offered us a free meal at Murano to make up for the problem.

it's just not like celebrity maitre d's to argue or confront guests. I suspect we'll never get the details on this...but it makes for an interesting thread.

Nothing I read recently indicates that the food on Celebrity is any better than most other cruise lines. I use to read on this board that Celebrity was a notch above most others. Have things changed that much with the the food?

I can only add that the food on our last reflection cruise (Dec 2014) was as good or better than any other cruise we have been on. Food is subjective, I am usually quite critical, and food can change from cruise to cruise even on the same ship. So I do not discount what others say; I am only adding my opinion.

We are taking our first Celebrity cruise next month on the Reflection. I am setting my expectations very low after all I've read pertaining to the ship and service. I'm at the point just praying the food is fit for human consumption and that I can get decent service. We chose this cruise for the itinerary so the cruise is not as important as the stops.

We've been on 10 cruises and have never had a bad one. They all have been great and hopefully this one will be also.

Don't let these threads stop you from having an 11th fantastic cruise. We've done 2 Celebrity cruises now and could not fault the food. It has been wonderful in both MDR and Speciality restaurants alike. Am sure you prayers for edible food will be answered [emoji57][emoji33]

We have had the odd dish we haven't liked, our waiter was upset for us and insisted on bringing out something different. Never had to get security involved lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by QE2_Fan

The bottom line - if they skipped out on their bar bill - even for just one glass of wine - it's theft plain and simple.

That's being a bit extreme [emoji43].

Firstly this is based in assumption only, so working with that assumption we don't know if it was on purpose or by accident they walked out without settling the drinks tab.

It's not like they tried to leave the ship for goodness sake. For one glass of wine, even a bottle I cannot see security getting involved or anyone chased out of the dining room. What for? They know who you are and how to get in contact with you on the ship!

Indeed we had a great night in the MDR over 2 bottles of lovely $80 Chardonnay. Without thinking we left at the end of our meal without paying for the wine. The next night the Sommelier apologised for not catching us the night before and had us settle the account. Not dramas, no security, no theft!

Please do not mistake me from a relaxed and somewhat forgetful holiday maker that I was to a hardline thief intent on stealing my wine and escaping to my cabin each night undiscovered [emoji15][emoji57]

That's being a bit extreme [emoji43].

Firstly this is based in assumption only, so working with that assumption we don't know if it was on purpose or by accident they walked out without settling the drinks tab.

It's not like they tried to leave the ship for goodness sake. For one glass of wine, even a bottle I cannot see security getting involved or anyone chased out of the dining room. What for? They know who you are and how to get in contact with you on the ship!

Indeed we had a great night in the MDR over 2 bottles of lovely $80 Chardonnay. Without thinking we left at the end of our meal without paying for the wine. The next night the Sommelier apologised for not catching us the night before and had us settle the account. Not dramas, no security, no theft!

Please do not mistake me from a relaxed and somewhat forgetful holiday maker that I was to a hardline thief intent on stealing my wine and escaping to my cabin each night undiscovered [emoji15][emoji57]

They said something about owing someone a glass of wine, so it clearly wasn't an accident.

While my statement, and my assumption (based completely on the little information they provided) may be a bit extreme, so was the fact that they had security intercepting them at the elevator.

Clearly there are some VERY important details missing from this story. Their side of the story clearly makes no sense based on the outcome.

Edited by DinaS

My whole problem is that there was no reason to call Security. We were not loud or demanding or been drinking . We simply wanted to leave. There is no more to this story. That is why it is so perplexing.

We DID NOT walk out with a bar bill.

Edited by npb

Sounds like the waitress was offering either a different entree, or to have the Maitre' de or chef come out to the table to see if they could help or at least find out what the issue was.

Exactly.

Have to say I'm totally baffled, can't say I've ever seen or heard anything like it on a cruise ship. Security would only be called if something specific had happened that left them needed and that's not someone not enjoying the food. Unless something specific was said that's been seen as a threat and the OP has stated nothing happened it's just weird.

My whole problem is that there was no reason to call Security. We were not loud or demanding or been drinking . We simply wanted to leave. There is no more to this story. That is why it is so perplexing.

If the Hotel Mgr is not helping, get the Capt Club Host involved. We were getting no help with an issue on the Reflection in 2013. Ti-Ann, the CC Host had it straightened out in less than 30 minutes! She is a real jewel and a fireball to boot.

EW

Edited by wallie5446

If the Hotel Mgr is not helping, get the Capt Club Host involved. We were getting no help with an issue on the Reflection in 2013. Ti-Ann, the CC Host had it straightened out in less than 30 minutes! She is a real jewel and a fireball to boot.

EW

Sorry but the hotel director is the highest in the chain onboard. The Captains Club staff have no clout with them.

Most important thing, no voices raised, keep calm, objective and never use any language which might be defamatory to other cultures

Edited by uktog

Npb, maybe it would help us all if you told us exactly what Security said to you at the elevator - "confront" can mean different things.

Exactly.

If we had any clue as to what actually transpired during your "confrontation" at the elevator with security and the maitre' de (who was allegedly holding a plate of food), perhaps we might be able to understand why this happened.

Sorry but the hotel director is the highest in the chain onboard. The Caprains Club staff have no clout with them.

Most important thing, no voices raised, keep calm, objective and never use any language which might be defamatory to other cultures

That sounds like great advice!

OP please read uktog's suggestion and then STOP wasting your vacation time on the internet! Get back to having some fun!:)

When your husband "jokingly" hold the Maitre' D he was owed a glass of wine, was he really joking, or was he angry and threatening toward him? :confused:

When your husband "jokingly" hold the Maitre' D he was owed a glass of wine, was he really joking, or was he angry and threatening toward him? :confused:

My reckoning is that the op meant the Maitre'D owed him a glass of wine. It depends on how you read it

Sorry but the hotel director is the highest in the chain onboard. The Captains Club staff have no clout with them.

I am well aware that the CC Host has no authority to do anything. Duh, it ain't our first rodeo. But they will act as a mediator, go between, whatever to help their guest get something straightened out.

It reads that the OP is at a loss for who to turn to for an explanation.

I am well aware that the CC Host has no authority to do anything. Duh, it ain't our first rodeo. But they will act as a mediator, go between, whatever to help their guest get something straightened out.

It reads that the OP is at a loss for who to turn to for an explanation.

This last statement

really says it all.

I hope the OP can sort through all of our musings on the cause of their problem and can find and take your good advice.

Edited by chamima