Should I be worried?

Husband and I booked a cruise this October toward the end of October to the Bahamas. Few things I'm worried about, one is the weather really bad during this time? Is it going to rain alot, we were hoping for a more warm, lay in the sun kind of vacation and I have been reading that October has a chance of alot of rain. We are toward the end of October but still. Has anyone cruised this time to the Bahamas? What was the weather like? Was it enjoyable and fun?

Second thing, one of our stops is Cococay, many of you might know Royal Private Island. What is concerning to me is that is cancelled alot. Due to weather again. So should I be concerned itll get cancelled. I was really looking forward to parasailing in Cococay and enjoying that beach. So people if you have gone on this Cruise at the end of October, I'd love to hear your input. Thanks, would be so helpful. (:

I've never cruised in October, but I did travel to Mexico in October and the weather was beautiful and it was nice and hot, except the first day of our trip which was raining and muggy (but still warm). There is a higher chance of rain during September/October (from what I've read) which is part of the reason those cruises are the cheapest. It's a trade off. If it doesn't rain, it'll be warm and awesome. If it rains, it'll be a warm rain, and you can hang out on the inside of the ship, so make sure the ship you choose has ammenities you'll enjoy if that happens.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

You must know that hurricane season runs from June to middle Nov. Traditionally the height is the end of August to end of October! With that said you have to be flexible! I sailed middle last September and the weather was great still pretty hot and humid and the Captain sailed round 1 small showers and the last minute the ship was clipped and the seas were just about glass the whole sailing to Roatan, Cozumel and back to Fort Lauderdale. It will be what it will be, and the Captain will make sure the vessel and everyone onboard is safe. Happy cruising!

Husband and I booked a cruise this October toward the end of October to the Bahamas. Few things I'm worried about, one is the weather really bad during this time? Is it going to rain alot, we were hoping for a more warm, lay in the sun kind of vacation and I have been reading that October has a chance of alot of rain. We are toward the end of October but still. Has anyone cruised this time to the Bahamas? What was the weather like? Was it enjoyable and fun?

Second thing, one of our stops is Cococay, many of you might know Royal Private Island. What is concerning to me is that is cancelled alot. Due to weather again. So should I be concerned itll get cancelled. I was really looking forward to parasailing in Cococay and enjoying that beach. So people if you have gone on this Cruise at the end of October, I'd love to hear your input. Thanks, would be so helpful. (:

Seems you are booked to the BAHAMAS in October.

Just because it's hurricane/tropical storm season, it does not mean there will be one. If not, the weather is great and it cost way less to cruise that time of year. Just a chance you take. ;)

LuLu

First of all welcome to cruise critic. We have been to the Bahamas twice both times around Halloween it was nice both times. Have a great cruise. So sorry for some of the snotty replies.

You must know that hurricane season runs from June to middle Nov. Traditionally the height is the end of August to end of October! With that said you have to be flexible! I sailed middle last September and the weather was great still pretty hot and humid and the Captain sailed round 1 small showers and the last minute the ship was clipped and the seas were just about glass the whole sailing to Roatan, Cozumel and back to Fort Lauderdale. It will be what it will be, and the Captain will make sure the vessel and everyone onboard is safe. Happy cruising!

We may get a named storm next week. I guess mother nature doesn't know when the season is. ;)

Most of the time in the Caribbean the weather is absolutely beautiful. Frequently Cococay or other private islands are closed because of high winds and currents. Don't worry about the things you cannot fix.

I live in Florida the weather is about the same as Bahamas. It'll be high humidity maybe an afternoon thunderstorm but otherwise it should be beautiful cruising weather. Have a great time.

I wouldn't worry about coco cay unless there's a hurricane out there or its real windy and choppy. I think you will be just fine don't worry about the things you can't control but the weather is usually beautiful at that time.

After Hurricane Sandy in '12, I was really worried about my '13 October cruise... Oct 27th-31st, the same 4 night run as you. It may be a nailbiting hurricane season, it's really too early to tell. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

But to give you some hope, the weather turned out absolutely gorgeous for us! 80's weather and sunny skies the whole cruise, and probably the best of 3 Coco Cay port days I've had with RCCL yet! The tender was a smooth ride and the weather was bright and wonderful.

We also did a TON of self-guiding walking around Nassau. Try to get up the hill and check out Greycliff chocolatier (The owner was on Top Chef: Just Desserts!) & John Watling's Rum Distillery. We also rode the jitney bus down to Arawack Cay for some great local food and free Wifi, and visited Adastra Gardens & Zoo just in time to catch their trained flamingos & feed lorry birds.

If you are doing Halloween weekend, you're in for a huge treat with ship Centrum decorations too! :D

Hi, you haven't said what date you are going.

I know that on the 24th to 27th October there will be tornados and then 28th to 31st October it will be 120 degree searing heat.

Hope this helps :)

You're just plain bad. Hope you went to church today and confessed.

My intent is not to be sarcastic.

Unless you are thinking about canceling the cruise, I don't see what you gain by asking the question and reading the range of replies. Stop looking at this thread now; just look forward to the cruise and enjoy.

I know that I am looking forward to my fourth October cruise that has one stop in the Bahamas while passing through!

Edited by natty bumppo

Have not cruised in Oct. But in Dec we made our stop in St Thomas and we went shopping and it rained. We had a great time even though it rained. It lasted about 10 minutes or so. Don't let a little rain dampen your spirit. We enjoyed the rain. You can always pack small umbrellas. And remember you can always check the weather for the week a few days before you leave to make adjustments for clothing. Have a great trip

I know its been posted on here. The only reason I wouldn't want to book a cruise in October is because of hurricane season. Unless you don't care if you miss a few ports of call due to weather. But then again anything can happen even in the middle of Spring or summer as well

OP, not sure where you're from, but most like the weather in the Bahamas in October will be much nicer than where you're from. As others have said, don't sweat it because there is nothing you can do about it. If you are that worried, then you should probably cancel/reschedule because then you won't be able to enjoy yourself if you're completely set on doing certain things. Just go and have a great time! Most likely you'll make it to Coco Cay and will be able to do everything. If not, make the best of it and enjoy the time away. Coco Cay is my favorite "port" so I sure hope you make it. Have a great time!!!

Sounds like you may be on the Majesty. We've cruised in October many times on that same itinerary and have always had great weather. That's a great time to go so don't worry. Having said that, you never know when rain might whip up or a bad weather day - it does happen. Typically if you miss Cococay its due to high winds. That happened to us once but we had a great day at sea and we got to Key West 4 hours early which made for one of the best stops we've ever experienced.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

We have missed ports in December, March, and missed ports in Sept. No way of knowing. Just go with the flow. We had a wild ride in Sept of 2004 skirting around hurricane jeanne. They substituted Charleston South Carolina for the Bahamas and alot of people disembarked and rented cars for the drive back to Baltimore. :eek: Personally, I loved the bumpy ride..:D

Hurricane season runs from July to the end of Nov. There is a higher chance during this period for tropical storms, but that does NOT mean you have one. The Caribbean is warm and sunny year round so this is why cruise ships sail there year round. It is even possibility of a cold front in Jan/Feb in Florida; however, the winter months are the driest periods. There really isn't a wrong time to go to the Caribbean/Bahamas. Cruise prices are dictated by demand with the most expensive times to cruise is during holidays and winter months when it's the coldest in the northern US. The low period is in the fall when kids go back to school. Should you be worried about cruising in Oct - personally I wouldn't because here is no way to predict what your weather will be like when you actually go.

The only time we missed Cococay they just extended our stay in Nassau. Cruise ships are able to avoid bad weather. So don't worry you'll still have a good time.

As for Delirious, humour is one thing, trolling is another. *Plonk*

We have cruised end of October and beginning of November - always within a two week span.

Overall, weather in Caribbean is plenty warm but not as HOT as mid-summer. Water is still warm for swimming. Peak hurricane season has passed by then, but prices for holiday sailings haven't yet kicked in (which is precisely why we choose this time frame). Also, not many kids sailing during that time frame.

We've had mostly good weather during this time frame. One cruise we had a couple of overcast days in port, but by and large, this time of year has been good to us for cruising.

I was on a 4-day cruise with Disney first week in November. They could not dock on their private island due to the weather. The other port was fine since it wasn't tendered. I was disappointed but I knew that was a risk of getting the cheaper November rates. If not making that one stop will completely ruin your trip I would avoid fall as it's the most likely time that you won't be able to dock.

We have cruised during October nearly every year. The weather has been absolutely wonderful the majority of the time.

I understand your question and concern about the weather. You put a lot of time and planning into your vacation. You want the warm, beachy experience. That's what we enjoy, too.

We've had more rain and cooler temps when we've sailed in February than October.

Hope for the best and enjoy your cruise!