Anyone Not Book Specialty Dinners?

My husband and I used to do one specialty restaurant on a 7-night cruise; usually Chops. We won't be going back. I've eaten in Chops 3 times since September, different ships (Freedom, Brilliance and Liberty), and each time was a disappointment. IMO it has definitely gone down hill. I wouldn't mind paying the extra charge if the meal was somehow special, but to me it's not anymore. We did dine in Portofino on FOS last September, but sadly that's now gone, and that was a lovely meal.

Our last cruise on FOS was a b2b, and the second week we found ourselves having a few pre-dinner cocktials and then most nights going up to the WJ for dinner. Pleasantly surprised with what they offer there in the evenings, and it changes nightly. We didn't even do either formal night that week. It was a totally laid back and relaxing week.

One thing we would do again is Chef's Table. I did that on Brilliance in January, cruising with my daughter, and we both really enjoyed the experience.

Personally I don't consider Johnny Rockets a specialty restaurant even though it has an extra fee. .

You may not but Royal Caribbean does :) And thats the only reason I even brought it up. I had no idea so many would have a problem with what I said :o

The last cruise is the only time I've eaten at a speciality restaurant, the previous four cruises I stayed in the MDR.

The atmosphere was nice and elegant in Chops Grille but I wouldn't say the food was necessarily a huge leap better than the MDR.

I'd do a speciality again if it was a special occasion where we wanted more attention and perhaps more privacy - other than that I'm more than happy to stay in the MDR, enjoy the fine food there, and save my money for the slots/ports.

Not very good though IMO and if you are a sushi lover, you will be highly disappointed with Jade sushi. My local Kroger does a much better job!

Im excited to try Izumi on Allure :)

We had it once as a snack before dinner (on Her Majesty), and the few pieces that we had were good. We got there as the buffet was opening, so everything was very freshly cut. We were having dinner that evening as guests of a friend we know who works for Royal in what was the Taste of Tuscany specialty restaurant. But dinner was at 7:30pm and we needed a little appetizer earlier than that. The Taste of Tuscany has been discontinued, but it was a wonderful experience -- not just the terrific food served, but learning how they make everything that we were eating. I have never had such magnificent veal meatballs in my life, as that night (sorry to divert from topic).

I have promised that if I ever see veal meatballs on the menu in the MDR, I will order them.

I've never booked a specialty dinner before. Am thinking of doing one on my transatlantic cruise because that's an awfully long string of dinners in the MDR!

Our way of looking at it (and we only would consider Izumi -- but that is just us) is that we go out for Japanese food at home 1x, or 2x, sometimes 3x a month. So on a cruise if we spend the extra on it, it becomes one of those monthly events.

So over the course of a two week period (if that is the length of the TA) at home would you go out to dinner at a restaurant? That may help answer your question....the next one may be more difficult -- which one to go to?

This is the first cruise I'll have been on that offers specialty dining. I've always enjoyed the Main Dining Room. We do like good food but are not super picky and have always found good selection (even for someone like me who doesn't eat meat or chicken).

Now there are all these fancy specialty options. I just figure we're paying enough for the cruise / flight that why would we need to pay extra for it? Maybe I would feel different if it was just DH and I and it was say, an anniversary, but we are travelling with our kids and so we have no plans to try them. Perfectly fine with the MDR. It'll still be a nice end of day sit down meal.

Are we the only ones that stick to the MDR and do not book specialty dinners?

I have been cruising since 1990's and have about 250 days on many lines. the food has changed over the years but still for an ordinary to superior person probably the meals in MDR are as good if not better than the local white tablecloth establishment that you go to at home for a nice or special meal. Some nights better than others but generally a really nice (if lengthy compared to home) meal with good to great service (depending on wait staff --just like at home) and fine food. I have eaten on occasion in the specialty DR and they are indeed nice and the wait staff have fewer folks so you get more attention. Does not make the meals always faster :p but it is pleasant. The food is good to great but I am rather a humble person and because I just love food -- maybe not the greatest critic. I sometimes would prefer to eat the known rather than be impressed by artfully arranged fish roe or unpronounceable ingredient. I am also lacking in my ability to choose one vinegar or olive oil or another and frankly it is a little hard to care -- the bread sticks are so tasty I have already blown through what the oil was to go on. :o

So to simplify: If you want to try it, probably will like it and maybe love it. If you don't try it, you won't miss it and you will have extra dollars in your pocket. There are so many choices on the ship to spend your money on that you really have to muster up some self control. If they ask for your seapass they are charging you so that is sort of like a built in alarm to consider. You do not have to buy every photo but I try not to be curt in my rejection -- I just don't want to bother to pose and I'm not going to buy. You don't have to refill the drink everytime that cute bar waiter comes by -- it is hot and drinks are soooo good -- watch your comsumptiion for alcohol so not tipsy and broke both. You do not need a shore excursion in every port but they are good if you want to do what they are offering. Keep in mind that DIY is a possible but it is harder and more risk than some on these boards would lead you to believe. Ship shore excursions are usually good, they wait for you if you are late, and the details are taken care of. They are usually more expensive too.

Your original question: Specialty restaurant? Your choice and you will make a good one. Try it or not -- you will still have fabulous vacation. I do believe what a lot of people say: Your first cruise is THE best -- all the others are just confirming how great a vacation can be.

You may not but Royal Caribbean does :) And thats the only reason I even brought it up. I had no idea so many would have a problem with what I said :o

You are correct, Royal does.....and Royal also charges extra for bar drinks, which we do very little paying for since we have access to the DL and can bring 2 bottles of wine on board with us. The few beers we drink over the course of a week, don't add up to much (having BOGO coupons on our sea pass cards to use outside of the drink coupons loaded on our sea pass card).

I don't have a problem with what you said, I just look at it through a different lens.

I am a picky eater and this is why I don't go. I don't eat any type of salad or seafood and feel I won't get my money's worth since that would pretty much cut out over 3/4 of my choices on the menu.

I did, on NCL, pay to go to Teppanyaki when the Jewel was new. I think it was $15 p/p and I enjoyed it very much - but we were with friends and I thought it was a decent price.

Never besides JR. First of all we travel with children and the specialty restaurants aren't family friendly.

And to be honest I hate formal dining. Despise it actually.

By the time we pay for the cruise, travel from Canada, expeditions, drink package, etc I really don't want to pay more for food.

This is the first cruise I'll have been on that offers specialty dining. I've always enjoyed the Main Dining Room. We do like good food but are not super picky and have always found good selection (even for someone like me who doesn't eat meat or chicken).

Now there are all these fancy specialty options. I just figure we're paying enough for the cruise / flight that why would we need to pay extra for it? Maybe I would feel different if it was just DH and I and it was say, an anniversary, but we are travelling with our kids and so we have no plans to try them. Perfectly fine with the MDR. It'll still be a nice end of day sit down meal.

Are we the only ones that stick to the MDR and do not book specialty dinners?

Have done both I like the whole MDR experience to me it's part of cruising. I have an up coming 9 nighter and as of now plan to stay with the MDR. Believe me your not alone. Especially with kids it isn't worth it in my opinion.

T...Are we the only ones that stick to the MDR and do not book specialty dinners?
We don't book specialty dinners either. We tried Johnny Rockets for lunch (I know - not a dinner) once on Explorer. It was just ok, but the burgers in the MDR were fantastic. Yum! Edited by Cruisin'4Us

Like Publix.

What's a Publix ? Actually, I know since I went to school in the Mid-west, but for someone from my area (northeast/New England) the fact that both Kroger and Publix are "supermarkets/grocery markets" might not be known. You give such wonderful accurate info here, Bob. I just thought I would expand it a little...no offense meant!:)

What's a Publix ? Actually, I know since I went to school in the Mid-west, but for someone from my area (northeast/New England) the fact that both Kroger and Publix are "supermarkets/grocery markets" might not be known. You give such wonderful accurate info here, Bob. I just thought I would expand it a little...no offense meant!:)

No offense taken.

I said Publix because I had noticed that the poster who asked the question was from Florida, but probably should have answered in a more general way.

You're not alone at all. In my dozen or so cruises, the ONLY specialty restaurant I've enjoyed was Johnny Rockets, and I had a coupon to eat there for free! The food that is included in the price of the cruise is more than quality enough for me! We love eating in the MDR.

No offense taken.

I said Publix because I had noticed that the poster who asked the question was from Florida, but probably should have answered in a more general way.

Not to worry...you do a great job here!!! :D

It's like a Giant Eagle.