CATS on OASIS - Time to "Dump" it?

I saw Mama Mia, over two hours on Quantum, the time flew by. I actually watched it 4 times on my 3 Quantum cruises, and could sit through it again. The show was fabulous. Everyone I saw on the ship loved it.

I saw Cats a few years back, and couldn't wait for it to be over,

I loved Chicago and looking forward to Mama Mia. Cats maybe is just a poor choice when people have many other attractions on the ship. Something that has people uplifted and enjoying the liveliness of the show and music seems to work better??

I think Cats is a great show and it had a fantastic cast when we saw it in April, but I do think it could be paired down into a 90-100 minute one act version. That would solve the issues of audience members leaving. I truly enjoyed the entire show, but a one act version would be better onboard.

I heard that Andrew Lloyd Webber wouldn't sell the rights to RCI for a shortened version of the show...it was all or nothing. I do think there are some things Royal Caribbean could do to help, like publish a Playbill with a synopsis, but so far I haven't heard that's happened.

Maybe they should give the yahoo's that make it through intermission some onboard credit? So many comments on how bad/boring/drag's on and on the show really is (first half) and how many depart at intermission. Then there are equal number of comments on folks who arrive just to see the second half......that's nut's time to pull the plug on the "Cat".

Thanks for calling me a name because I actually enjoyed a beautifully performed and produced show.:( I guess I'm a yahoo.:rolleyes:

I enjoyed CATS when I saw it in Houston with the Broadway touring company, and I enjoyed it even more on the Oasis. I thought the cast was phenomenal, and it was a real treat to sit right in front of the theater.

I'd MUCH rather watch a long show like CATS than some made-for-cruising production. I think the biggest problem with CATS on a ship is it's a little unusual, doesn't appeal to most people who ONLY see shows when they're on a ship, and it doesn't have the mass-appeal of something with a lot of sing-a-long potential like Mamma Mia.

Edited by Cindy

I shouldn't need to read a playbill before a show in order to understand it. I went to Chicago on the Allure and understood that just fine. Since I am not a broadway enthusiast, I expected the same when I was going to CATS. It only took about 30 minutes before dozens of people began to leave. Then I could hear whispers from people saying "I have no clue what is going on her"; "This is boring", etc. Most people who sail with RCI are accustomed to spectacular shows that attract your attention, however, CATS just doesn't do that.

I understand your point. Unfortunately it is a musical that is difficult to follow without prior knowledge of the plot. My thinking was just a little different. I thought if I was going to take up 2 1/2 hours of my cruise, I wanted to be sure I knew what it was for. I saw Chicago on Allure and if I had not already seen the movie I would have research it as well.

Maybe they should give the yahoo's that make it through intermission some onboard credit? So many comments on how bad/boring/drag's on and on the show really is (first half) and how many depart at intermission. Then there are equal number of comments on folks who arrive just to see the second half......that's nut's time to pull the plug on the "Cat".

Yahoo's is that a Connecticut term for people who like musical's. :rolleyes:

I have 5 year triplets, and they sat through the entire 2.5 hour show in April without a single complaint. They loved it (as did I, but I had already seen it on Broadway). How is it that a bunch of adults whine and complain about sitting through a musical when preschoolers have no issue with it? Why would they shorten the musical? It is what it is. If you don't want to see it, then don't go. Also, how is it confusing? One of the Cats clearly explains exactly what's going on in the beginning of the show. It's only confusing if you don't speak English.

I have been to many touring productions and several Broadway productions over the years. Also saw Hairspray, Chicago, and Saturday Night Fever on Oasis/Allure/Liberty. I enjoyed all the production immensely, but I just did not enjoy Cats. While the costumes and singing were awesome, it did not hold my interest. I honestly do not know what they were thinking when they selected it. I had read that the second half is much better, so I hung in for that, but honestly I didn't find that to be the case. I understand that some people really enjoy it, but it does not have mass appeal, which is what you need on a mass market cruise ship. Obviously there is a problem because so many people are walking out. A group of 10 people next to us walked out before the intermission.

Perhaps the problem is that Royal has to toe the vanilla line ... it can't be too violent or too dirty. It needs to be popular but not too recent to be unaffordable. It needs to meet certain cast/production requirements.

I can understand a swing and a miss when you are working with so many constraints.

Don't get me wrong ... I love musicals and I love the trend of full productions on a ship instead of the traditionally awful mashup production show. I hated SNF on Liberty but I stuck it out to support the concept. I'd probably stick out Cats too. I just don't think that "Broadway" and "cruisers" are necessarily an absolute match given everything else on these new ships.

Wow can't believe what I am reading, why would you want to chop down a brilliant ALW musical. The poems of T S Eliot and the music are just perfect.

Elaine, I don't think that anyone is suggesting that Andrew Lloyd Webber isn't a brilliant English composer and impresario of musical theatre. What I think the majority have been saying for quite some time is that RCCL needs to do a little "exit" poll, or reality check, or even read some of the commentary about the CATS offering on Oasis and understand that it might not be a perfect fit. I'm quite sure they paid large sums of money for the contract rights but it appears from all indications they are only able to hold half the audience each performance. It may be time to cut the production loose and figure out something else to fill the theatre.

Long boring musical ? No idea but RCI has done a great job of creating a wonderland at sea . You want SPECTACULAR ? We got it in our ships , our activities and in our entertainment . Come see a Broadway show on the high seas ! As always they are going after the non-cruisers and seldom cruisers because that's were the numbers are . Experienced cruisers are also into these shows (for the first half anyway).

The idea of shortening Cats into a single act sounds OK until you recognize the outcry of those who would correctly say that it's not the "real" Cats . Someone would probably start a class-action suit . Hello Jim Walker.;)

Long boring musical ? No idea but RCI has done a great job of creating a wonderland at sea . You want SPECTACULAR ? We got it in our ships , our activities and in our entertainment . Come see a Broadway show on the high seas ! As always they are going after the non-cruisers and seldom cruisers because that's were the numbers are . Experienced cruisers are also into these shows (for the first half anyway).

The idea of shortening Cats into a single act sounds OK until you recognize the outcry of those who would correctly say that it's not the "real" Cats . Someone would probably start a class-action suit . Hello Jim Walker.;)

This just gives credence to those who are suggesting this may not be a good fit for a cruise ship. The show is too long for many and it will upset others if it is shortened. So the answer is to find a show that is not too long and doesn't have to be shortened.

I think one thing RCI needs to consider is that when people go out to a Broadway show that is pretty much the objective for the evening. It is the reason for going out and, maybe, along with dinner. On a cruise ship the show is one thing to do among many other things that people want to accomplish in the short week that they have aboard. Oasis itself, and all it has to offer, is the highlight of the week not the show.

Perhaps the problem is that Royal has to toe the vanilla line ... it can't be too violent or too dirty. It needs to be popular but not too recent to be unaffordable. It needs to meet certain cast/production requirements.

I can understand a swing and a miss when you are working with so many constraints.

Don't get me wrong ... I love musicals and I love the trend of full productions on a ship instead of the traditionally awful mashup production show. I hated SNF on Liberty but I stuck it out to support the concept. I'd probably stick out Cats too. I just don't think that "Broadway" and "cruisers" are necessarily an absolute match given everything else on these new ships.

I see what you're saying as Cats certainly isn't too violent or dirty and if we were going on Oasis, then I would have taken my kids (even though as stated above, I think Cats is quite boring as far as a musical)....But, why did they select Chicago? This is both dirty and violent. If the Allure wasn't changing to Mamma Mia, then I would have had to go to Chicago by myself (or our kids would go to the kids club and DH and I would have gone.

I think it's awesome that RCL shows real musicals. That alone makes the increase in cruise prices. I LOVE Mamma Mia and if I want, I can see it 3 times (assuming can get in twice on standby)....which would equate to about $120 x 3 = $360 per person. But, they need to pick musicals that will interest passengers. I agree with their other selections (eg. Hairspray, etc)

Edited by LuCruise

I agree that Cats was an odd choice for a cruise show. It's good for about 10 minutes as the costumes and movements are impressive, but then it's enough.

I wish they would return to the shows from the good old days of cruising. A couple of songs from a half dozen musicals

Cats, Phantom, Evita, Fiddler, Joseph, etc..

That should keep our attention

Edited by John&LaLa

I think Cats is a great show and it had a fantastic cast when we saw it in April, but I do think it could be paired down into a 90-100 minute one act version. That would solve the issues of audience members leaving. I truly enjoyed the entire show, but a one act version would be better onboard.

That is encouraging. My wife has seen the show locally, I can probably nap through some of the first part to get to the 2nd half. I'll update with my thoughts a year from now :D

Cats is a strange show (at least to me). I love musicals been to most some twice/ three times - but cats (saw it in London west end) was in my view very odd- I just couldn't get it - If I had been on my own I would have left at the interval but my DH had bought me this as a gift so I sat it out - wouldn't go back. Best bit was years later my DH who had sat looking like he enjoyed it revealed that he was struggling to stay awake and the wide eyes were just his way of achieving that goal - It was his first west end show- Luckily the next one was one of the best Miss Saigon

For me it wasn't so much the length of the show as the time. I could only get tickets for a 2pm show on a sea day and that was not my idea of how I want to spend a beautiful day sailing in the Caribbean. I left after 3 songs. If the show was offered after dinner, I probably would have stayed and enjoyed it.

Not sure they will dump it easily my DD has been involved with musicals and for someone to put on a show they half to both pass a quality audit and also buy the rights to that show. As an example I can tell you that to put on either Les Miserable or Phantom the cost was £11000/ $16500 & £14000 / $21000 for 4 shows of these. Would imagine that Royal paid a pretty penny to do this show.

For me it wasn't so much the length of the show as the time. I could only get tickets for a 2pm show on a sea day and that was not my idea of how I want to spend a beautiful day sailing in the Caribbean. I left after 3 songs. If the show was offered after dinner, I probably would have stayed and enjoyed it.

We had a similar issue with Hairspray on one of our Oasis sailings. The show we had booked (the first evening) was rescheduled for the next afternoon during sail-a-way from Nassau. Who wants to be inside on a beautiful day after just having left a rotten New England winter and miss a sail-a-way no less?

I saw Mama Mia, over two hours on Quantum, the time flew by. I actually watched it 4 times on my 3 Quantum cruises, and could sit through it again. The show was fabulous. Everyone I saw on the ship loved it.

We were the guinea pigs for the first showings on the Oasis TA for CATS and they were not ready and at each performance people left during or did not come back after intermission.

I do not think it is a suitable show for a cruise ship as there are plenty others that would be better received.

It was not a musical I had wanted to see but did as it was on the ship - I sat through it all and sad to say my opinion did not change and it seems it has not got better since.

I love Musicals and also did not fancy Mama Mia but have just got off the Quantum and I loved it! So much so, having seen it once, I went again after dinner for the second half and stood at the back with lots of others as the theatre was full and everyone was having a great time.

This was the last performance too on the Quantum as the show is off to the Allure. Sadly the cast are not as they were fantatsic, there will be a new cast performing it on there.

This is how I feel too! I loved Mamma Mia on Quantum, and had no problem sitting through the full-length production because it was so engaging and fun that it didn't feel like 2.5 hours.

I saw Cats on Broadway and have no desire to see it again. I think that RCI picked the wrong musical to put on Oasis.

• 2 months later...

Don't think I will admit to this bunch how many times I've seen Cats...but it's one of my all time favorites and I can't wait to see it again on Oasis. I adore the music. And it does help to research the story in advance

We didn't even make reservations for Cats for our upcoming Oasis cruise... Have no desire to see it. It's not because of the reviews or the performers obviously, it's because Cats just jsnt a happy every sings along kind of musical... I've seen it once in NY and that was enough. Hairspray was fantastic- they should have gone along those lines

Edited by LuvWilliam