Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda.....What would you do different?

Cravester78

To those of you who have cruised Alaska what would do different? Would you leave from a different port, do a different excursion, book different room type? I am hoping to learn from those of you who have been and maybe wished they would have done something different on their cruise!

To those of you who have cruised Alaska what would do different? Would you leave from a different port, do a different excursion, book different room type? I am hoping to learn from those of you who have been and maybe wished they would have done something different on their cruise!

We just got off a 9-day Alaska Itinerary. If I had it to do over again, I'd have flown up and used the ferry system, rather than cruising. HONESTLY. Even on the extended cruise we took, we didn't spend enough time in the ports I loved and spent way too much time in the ports I didn't care about (Victoria and to a lesser extent, Skagway).

If cruising is a must, do a one-way cruise. We cruised Seattle to Seattle. I'm from Seattle, so we spent more days in familiar territory than in Alaska. Do the cruise where you go from Vancouver to Glacier Bay AND Hubbard (Yakutat), then cruise through Prince William Sound. I think Princess offers that one.

There are so many variations to Alaska... wet weather in one trip means a second or additional trip to make up for it.

• First time.... did the balcony and chose the economical "Best of.... " excursions to get a taste of everything. Went to see Glacier Bay.
  • Second time.... love the cheaper oceanview as I found the balcony was too windy and did not get full value out of it. Did the Yukon and Juneau whale watch to explore more of Alaska. Went to see Tracy Arm. Tried to collect one of those Diamond International charms.
  • Coming trips?
    • HAL's over land Denali where you sail half way over the Yukon to board another boat in Anchorage for the return trip. Or Vice Versa
    • car rental to check out the places that everyone in the forum has suggested
    • Duck tours
    • more of the Top 5!

[YOUTUBE]e_eMbvWq8lU[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]F4PEcfMK1eY[/YOUTUBE][YOUTUBE]mjOwP2OAuPU[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]cF1l3vfKWAM[/YOUTUBE][YOUTUBE]RiaOlvSRMAk[/YOUTUBE]

First "once in a lifetime" Alaska cruise was a RT from Vancouver on the Celebrity Galaxy years ago. It was great. But I did not see a whale. When my tablemates described the wonders they'd seen on their whale watching tour in Juneau, I knew I had to come back just for that.

A couple of years later I took my second "once in a lifetime" trip to Alaska. It was the same ship and itinerary, but I took different excursions. Whales! That alone was worth the trip. But so much other wonder as well. Another great trip.

This summer I'll take my third "once in a lifetime" trip to Alaska. New this time: Mom is coming with me and Glacier Bay instead of Hubbard Glacier.

My Alaska summary: Every trip is great. There's always more to wish you had done.

Enjoy!

Vicki

We did a round-trip Seattle Alaska cruise last year. We really enjoyed it, but realized we just scratched the surface of Alaska. Next time (I'm betting there will be a next time) we'd book a one-way and either begin or end the cruise with a land tour to Denali.

One of the folks I work with did a two-week land tour. He's not into cruising at all. And he loved the tour he booked.

First "once in a lifetime" Alaska cruise was a RT from Vancouver on the Celebrity Galaxy years ago. It was great. But I did not see a whale. When my tablemates described the wonders they'd seen on their whale watching tour in Juneau, I knew I had to come back just for that.

A couple of years later I took my second "once in a lifetime" trip to Alaska. It was the same ship and itinerary, but I took different excursions. Whales! That alone was worth the trip. But so much other wonder as well. Another great trip.

This summer I'll take my third "once in a lifetime" trip to Alaska. New this time: Mom is coming with me and Glacier Bay instead of Hubbard Glacier.

My Alaska summary: Every trip is great. There's always more to wish you had done.

Enjoy!

Vicki

LOL! Getting ready to take our 4th "once in a lifetime" cruise to Alaska in June. This time we're doing a cruise tour. My advice to the OP is to be sure and do a pre or post land trip. Once we stayed in Anchorage for 3 days with a car prior to our cruise. We drove all over the place and had a great time - you see so much on land that isn't possible by just doing a cruise.

Edited by mek

I'm about to book my fourth Alaska cruise. When I booked my first one I thought it I would never go again. But...

I've only ever been on HAL, and will be doing HAL in the future. I just love cruising on HAL.

I've done two round trip Seattle trips, and one round trip Vancouver trip. All only seven days. Some people say Vancouver is the only place to embark from, because it's more scenic. That may be, but on HAL I think the time in port is also better on the Vancouver departures than the Seattle departures.

My next cruise will be HAL's 14 RT from Seattle. So one thing I would do differently is take a longer cruise, or a land-cruise trip (which will probably be what I do next).

On my first Alaska cruise, I booked an inside cabin. It was totally fine! Whenever I wanted to see anything, I went out on deck. I know people say "If you're ever going to pay for a balcony cabin, do it on an Alaska cruise." So for my second one, I did. It was fabulous, but if someone else wasn't splitting the cost with me, I don't know if I'd do it.

On my last cruise, out of Vancouver, I had a balcony, but only because HAL offered me an upsell a couple weeks before the cruise. $298 total to upgrade from the cheapest outside cabin to a balcony?!? Hell yes!

On my first trip, I didn't book any "real" excursions, but still had a great time. In Juneau I got off the ship, purchased tickets to go the Mendenhall Glacier, and spent the day there. In Sitka, I walked to the totem park, then around town, and did a bit of shopping. In Ketchikan, I walked over to Creek Street, took the funicular up to the Cape Fox Lodge, walked down Married Man's Trail, explored Creek Street - all the regular tourist stuff. I was a tourist after all. I even went shopping...and I'm not really a shopper. But we were only in Ketchikan from 7 a.m.-1 p.m. so I didn't think there was a lot I could do.

Next itinerary I should be there much longer so I want to take the city bus to Totem Bight State Park (for all of $1 each way).

I've done a couple of other things on previous trips I would also recommend. I took a float plane trip into Misty Fjords with Michelle from Island Wings. Another time I also booked a whale watch on the cruise. I enjoyed it, but many on these boards recommend smaller local operators.

I'm not hard to please so I have been happy with everything I have done in Alaska.

First trip to Alaska was 7 day cruise only on HAL. For the 2nd trip we added the land portion, again on HAL. Cruise was only 3 days, then 8 days on land. Everything was great, but I knew I only had so many days of vacation from work, so could only do the 11 day cruisetour. If I were to go again, I would select a cruisetour that does 2 nights at each stop instead of just 1. You arrive into town around 6:00 pm each evening and leave at 7:30 the next morning, so you really don't see much of the town.

We also did not purchase the meal voucher plan (as we thought we could eat cheaper) but as stated earlier, arriving into town at 6:00 pm we were ready for dinner, not looking around for a place to eat, so generally ate at the hotel restaurant, and the servers were always surprised that we didn't have the vouchers. The meal plan would have been $349 pp, and I think we spent right around that same $350 pp. Meals were very expensive for us. Breakfast was $14.95, Lunch (if available) was around $20, and Dinner was $28. This was in 2007, so can imagine the prices have risen. We settled on a Subway once and Soup, Salad and drink was $23. So while the meal plans sound expensive, I would purchase if I were to go again.

Have fun planning and taking your cruise to Alaska, it is an awesome destination.

I would have liked it if we had flown to Fairbanks earlier. Our flight did not get in until after midnight. We were very tired the first day, although we did enjoy the paddleboat and gold dredge excursions.

I don't regret not getting the meal plan. We spent a lot less than it would have cost and still ate well.

Our first Alaskan cruise was a RT out of Seattle. We also felt we didn't see enough of Alaska this way. We are going again next month doing a one-way out of Vancouver. The one excursion I am repeating is the helicopter tour in Juneau. My daughter went with me last time, taking my hubby this time.

On our last trip, we got extremely lucky with an Outside cabin that had recently been renovated, and the window was actually more like a glass wall - floor to ceiling window. We booked a balcony guarantee this trip since we are celebrating out 30th anniversary. Hope it's worth it!

If we could only do a 7-day cruise we would do a south-bound rather than north-bound out of Vancouver (cruises out of Vancouver provide splendid scenery for a much larger part of the cruise). On the north-bound we found all flights home from Anchorage were late late at night and we were exhausted. If we did a south-bound only we could fly to Anchorage, play for a day and then head to Whittier for the cruise - lots more flight options out of Vancouver at the end of the trip. A pal recently took the north-bound cruise and booked a hotel room at Captain Cook Hotel in Anchorage - gave them a place to relax, rest after wandering the town before their midnight flight and that worked very well for their family. Our solution to the dilemma is doing B2Bs out of Vancouver - love spending 2 days in each port and the wildlife viewing remains a huge draw for us. Like other posters, we've booked our 6th "one and only" Alaska cruise for next year - never gets old! This year we're splurging on the helicopter/dog sled excursion in Juneau which is pricey but sounds like a spectacular experience. We're also huge Juneau Whale watch fans, and Skagway Chilkoot Tours where you take a van up to the Yukon and down via White Mountain Pass rail road. SO much to see and do in Alaska!

Edited by LoriPhil

If we could only do a 7-day cruise we would do a south-bound rather than north-bound out of Vancouver (cruises out of Vancouver provide splendid scenery for a much larger part of the cruise). On the north-bound we found all flights home from Anchorage were late late at night and we were exhausted. If we did a south-bound only we could fly to Anchorage, play for a day and then head to Whittier for the cruise - lots more flight options out of Vancouver at the end of the trip. A pal recently took the north-bound cruise and booked a hotel room at Captain Cook Hotel in Anchorage - gave them a place to relax, rest after wandering the town before their midnight flight and that worked very well for their family. Our solution to the dilemma is doing B2Bs out of Vancouver - love spending 2 days in each port and the wildlife viewing remains a huge draw for us. Like other posters, we've booked our 6th "one and only" Alaska cruise for next year - never gets old! This year we're splurging on the helicopter/dog sled excursion in Juneau which is pricey but sounds like a spectacular experience. We're also huge Juneau Whale watch fans, and Skagway Chilkoot Tours where you take a van up to the Yukon and down via White Mountain Pass rail road. SO much to see and do in Alaska!

You are so right about the flight options. Wish we had booked a south bound instead. We booked an early morning flight and got a hotel for the night. Neither one of us are willing to take a red eye flight. Taking a bus to Anchorage as soon as we dock so we can relax, check in to the hotel, and get to bed at a decent hour.

Some day when we can take more time off work, we will add a land tour to a cruise....

Just did my second trip making up for all my mistakes the first time, 25 years ago. Both were Princess southbound Anchorage to Vancouver and I highly recommend that. This time I added a land tour first, booked a balcony, and didn't do any sightseeing bus tours (we did active tours instead). It was fabulous. If I ever go again I would love a back to back to see even more at each port of call and not feel rushed.

Edited by librarymom

We also did a northbound in 2011....and did the overnight flight home from Anchorage. That was our biggest mistake. We were exhausted.

This upcoming trip is round trip Vancouver and we don't get to see quite as much of Alaska, however, we do have more options on flying home. But once again, the cheapest option was flying home in the wee hours of the night.

I recommend southbound. Start out in Anchorage and get there a couple days early to see all you can see before cruising. Or I love the back to back cruise idea.

Also in Alaska, we had our first aft balcony!! Loved it. Not real windy back there. Loved the view.

We booked our tours about a year in advance to be sure we got what we wanted.

My next biggest mistake was thinking I would need lots of pairs of jeans to wear. Now we pack 2 pairs and have them laundered during the cruise.

We did a round-trip Seattle Alaska cruise last year. We really enjoyed it, but realized we just scratched the surface of Alaska. Next time (I'm betting there will be a next time) we'd book a one-way and either begin or end the cruise with a land tour to Denali.

One of the folks I work with did a two-week land tour. He's not into cruising at all. And he loved the tour he booked.

Yep, we just got home from a RT from Seattle. While it was gorgeous, I felt like we spent more time at sea and didn't spend a lot of time actually seeing Alaska. I was a little disappointed in it

Instead of spending a total of 2 weeks on the trip we would do 3 weeks and spend most of it on shore, and would probably forgo a mass market cruise or even the luxury lines but would instead do an adventure cruise with Juneau roundtrip.

Edited by zqvol

First time (2006) we did r/t from Vancouver, hit Hubbard Glacier, Sitka, Ketchikan and Juneau. Felt like we missed out by not doing Skagway and Glacier Bay. Also, in Ketchikan we fished and I was miserable, too rocky, too rainy, too boring.

This time (July 2015) we are still doing r/t Vancouver, going to Glacier Bay, Skagway, Ketchikan and Juneau. Loved Ocra Enterprises in Juneau last time, repeating that. This time we are doing Anan Creek for bear watching in Ketchikan and the train in Skagway.

I will say I looked at itineraries first and then picked a line, ruling out Carnival and NCL (personal preferences for food).

Already talking about next time. Will probably wait until we can take 14+ days and either do a back to back (northbound, then southbound) or southbound with a land tour to start.

Happy Sailing!

Think of your Alaska cruise as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and plan accordingly. You may or may not ever see it again.

Each time we cruise, I tell myself it may be the last cruise we ever have. So I try to make it memorable.

Happy planning. Cruising is a great way to travel!

Done Alaska twice, once Glacier Bay the other Tracy Arm. As much as I enjoyed the small boat tour in Tracy Arm ( we had two bear sightings and two separate whale ones too, amazing.. ) still regret not doing Glacier the second time. Sorry missing Glacier is like going to Central California and missing Yosemite.

Was anyone else disappointed with a R/T Seattle cruise? Planning one for next summer and can't decide if we want to wait one additional year to do R/T Vancouver instead. DH is convinced that we will like the trip regardless. I'm not so sure :)

Was anyone else disappointed with a R/T Seattle cruise? Planning one for next summer and can't decide if we want to wait one additional year to do R/T Vancouver instead. DH is convinced that we will like the trip regardless. I'm not so sure :)

Disappointed? No. But you only really get 2 Alaska ports RT out of Seattle. Leaves you wanting more. 😀

Disappointed? No. But you only really get 2 Alaska ports RT out of Seattle. Leaves you wanting more.

Not always true, our round trip from Seattle hit Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway plus Tracy Arm. Sorry you only got two--which port did you not get to?

We really enjoy the Seattle round trip, but a couple of years earlier we did a one-way with a land trip to Denali. We are doing a 10 day Seattle to Vancouver next year.

Edited by pizzalady1